Curious about MetaBattle

Hello!

I just wanted to point out that I find a lot of people thinking MB is a meme website for builds. But I'd like if someone could enlighten me, I mean, I've been wandering through different websites including MB. I find every website usually has something useful to tell. I don't understand why MB has so much hate in general or to a lot of people looks like a meme website. Probably it has some issues, but I think no website is perfect at all. I find everyone tries its best to make a good point to inform people.

What I don't understand it's the focused thing about MB. I am curious so I just wanted to ask if someone could enlighten me. By the way, I want to appreciate all the effort every community website does to give us information and not spending hours of time finding out everything.

I wait for your answers!

🙂

• Like 3

Metabattle has had a lot of meme builds, builds with sketchy explanations, and so forth.  A lot of people just see the builds as having as much worth as those belonging to another poster on the forums who did a ton of meme builds including one that gave themselves 60+ seconds of fear at Dhuum.

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'meme website' but Metabattle is probably the best known GW2 build website so it probably gets more attention, both positive and negative, than others.

It would be like a joke website for builds, or trolling builds, something like that is what I learned from the term. (or builds that are not exactly what should be expected to be "serious builds").

Edited by Minux.2416

Metabattle is fine.  There are people who throw a lot of shade its way and say that you should use other sites instead (SnowCrows/Lucky Noobs for raids, Discretize for Fractals, Gw2Mists for WvW, GodsofPvP for PvP and such) and that's ideal, but honestly, Metabattle pretty much has the same builds those sites do for the most part with a wider variety available.  Going to the appropriate build site for the content you're playing is best, but Metabattle is just the jack of all trades when it comes to meta build sites.  Not perfect, for sure, but not really any sort of "meme" or anything as you described.

Edited by Dahkeus.8243
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Metabattle isn't bad.  Many of the builds are the same or similar to the builds you find on those other sites.  You still have to understand the build and what the intent of it is.  They tend to be a little less min/maxed than what you'll find on snowcrows or discretize for the less experienced player.

I suspect that the reason Metabattle may be considered to have troll builds is only related to early on in the site with the WvW builds.  At the height of GvG, guilds held their secret sauce close so putting a similar build that didn't work as well on Metabattle could throw other guilds off.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

Metabattle is fine.  There are people who throw a lot of shade its way and say that you should use other sites instead (SnowCrows/Lucky Noobs for raids, Discretize for Fractals, Gw2Mists for WvW, GodsofPvP for PvP and such) and that's ideal, but honestly, Metabattle pretty much has the same builds those sites do for the most part with a wider variety available.  Going to the appropriate build site for the content you're playing is best, but Metabattle is just the jack of all trades when it comes to meta build sites.  Not perfect, for sure, but not really any sort of "meme" or anything as you described.

^This.

Use all the sites honestly. Everyone plays a little differently and has different preferences and tastes. Just because one site says "Do this thing to be meta" doesn't necessarily mean it will be meta for you and your playstyle (Caveat: For FotM Speed runs and Raids you still kind of need to be close to the meta).

• Like 2

To be honest, it's the one I've been using since I started playing years ago. I like the others but for me MB is something that even if it's not perfect, I think it is really stable. I remember I used to get my builds from three old sources besides MB. They don't exist anymore, but they were the best websites for some people. But eventually people there got tired or had things to do and they couldn't keep the website as before.

These days I rely more on MB because sometimes I have been a lot of time without playing, and I find it good when I have to update my builds or stuff because I know MB is always there.

I know it's not the perfect website. But I love that even if not always it's been the best, for personal preference I don't always have the time search for the new websites in order to update my stuff.

Thank you all for all your answers and the points you made about everything. I appreciate your opinions!

🙂

Edited by Minux.2416
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

This^^

And I think there are still players out there who spite the fact that sites like these exist at all because 1)pLaY hOw YoU wAnT tHeY sAiD, 2) the site is telling them their "play how you want full nomad dps condi core warrior"-build is not meta and 3) it feels lazy/unimaginative/uncreative/not-RP to them to copy paste a build from a website.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Despite the name, metabattle puts up quite a few off-meta builds and they do it for all game modes.  This attracts some hate from gamers who live by "go meta or go home".  Yet for some reason you also see people complaining that metabattle is pushing a narrow vision of how players should play.  Tough crowd!

Personally, I think it's a great resource.  But I may be biased as they link my channel for condi weaver open world builds. 😉

• Like 4

No build will be perfect for you, not from Metabattle or any other site. Yes, with work you can successfully play someone else's build, but it'll always be someone else's build. That's why progress in instanced content can feel forced, because many veterans confuse copying with learning, when they're not the same thing.

Its like being an artist, tracing is good practice at first but you don't want to trace forever. At least Metabattle has more varied builds and less tunnel-vision.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

MetaBattle is fine...the builds on that site may be more up to controversy due to their rating system and you'll often see people in the comments of each build discussing this or that being wrong with it/not making sense/whatever. Despite any flaws in a particular build, it's a great resource for at least giving you a general idea of how to set your build up.

@Ayrilana.1396 gave a great list of resources for builds. I'll add a fantastic one for WvW that someone on this forum turned me onto: https://gw2mists.com/

• Like 3

Like others have said, Metabattle is perfectly alright. If you're doing competitive game modes, cross-referencing with a build site dedicated to that mode wouldn't hurt but often MB's builds are good. In the past I actually preferred them over Snowcrows as, at the time, one of the people responsible for putting builds on the SC website had a hate on for a spec and refused to put a build up for it for months, until enough people were asking for it they relented. There was also a Soulbeast build that was on MB and after a month or two, SC copied the build and put it on their site as a variant.

And both times people who hated on MB for being "meme" builds and denying anyone who didn't run a SC build in their groups instantly changed tunes when all that happened was SC put the build on their site a month later.

As long as you go in with a grain of salt, are familiar with how a class plays, and what you're comfortable playing, it's perfectly fine. But really that applies to any build you get off a website.

• Like 4

I'm loving all your answers. I did not expect many, I'm glad I was wrong 🙂

I really like all the reasons you're giving and I'm finding all the answers both interesting and elaborate.

Thanks for participating in my research for information on this topic. I feel happy about the outcomes! 🥰

• Like 1

I've always used Metabattle builds...though to be honest, I've always had to tweak them for my own individual playstyle.  I don't always take the builds "As Is" meaning - Gear, Food, Traits, Utilities, and somtimes even Weapons suggestions and all as they are in the build.  I've had to switch things up on the fly to adjust to my own personal playstyle tweaking a stat or two here...using a different utility buff there...swap out a skill because something else was more usefull to me for a different situation...I'm sure many other players have run into a situation like that...or if you couldn't get into a specific gear stats set yet...you've found yourself mix n matching your own gear until you could get your perfect gear sets.

Sure, I've also used other sites like Snow Crows, Discretize, a few others too...even a few Youtubers out there too when I was desperate...But Metabattle has been pretty good to me even with a few minor tweaks for my playstyle.  

• Like 3

Like most build templates it should just serve as a starting point. They act as a shortcut, as it were, to see how certain traits can synergize with each other, which may be time consuming if starting from scratch. Variance in player skill and preference can make a "meta" build not so meta anyway. Look around at any of the sites and read what the build is trying to do, what weapons it uses, etc., and then import it into the game if you want to play to play in that style. I usually play around and tweak the builds to my own preference. I find this good for competitive modes since a lot of players learn how to fight against cookie cutter builds. It's fun to throw something in there that they likely don't expect. For team game modes (mainly raids) many groups just stick to a formula in order to organize how players should do the encounter. 

In general I think players should feel more "free" on how they play their class. One player can be a monster with a "subpar" build and another a wet noodle with a copy/paste build.

• Like 2

MetaBattle is a great resource for all game modes, but it never hurts to look up other sources as well, maybe even compare.

I always recommend MetaBattle as a go-to place, but I also advise to look at the ratings and the date of the last update/comment. It's definitely not the fastest when it comes to updating builds after balance patches.

• Like 2