After years of not playing, I got my account back. Now I feel lost and behind.

There are so many more options. I do not have any extentions (maybe in  the future!)

I do have  a lot of old chars and a new one. I was lucky to get my old account back. So that is awesome. But i need advice, so much stuff in the bank, birthday pressies and so on. 

I was thinking, stick with new char and relearn. But I could use some help,  Janneke Solace is my new one. All olderr ones have the same last name.

(I won't be online all day 😉 But I would appreciate the help

Thank you!

You should at least say what server region you're on. NA or EU? Cause you can only play with people from your own server.

And if you want to play WvW with other people and need their help, you need to post your actual server as well.

• Like 2

I came back towards the end of  Living Season 4 after not playing for a few years and ran into similar problem. 

What I did was pick the class I seemed most interested in and looked at meta battle for a build to start with. Then I just hopped in and started playing the new story. While playing I would wiki items I had in my bank or items I got and didn't understand what they were.

I also searched up some daily stuff to do to make gold in between (mostly youtube videos.)

There really is so much to do in this game, especially if not playing for years. I would recommend just jumping into which ever content peaks your interest and going for it. Re-learn as you go and some stuff might look familiar as well.

• Like 1

I returned to the game about a year ago after several years away.  I tried jumping right into my old main but, it was a mess.

What worked out for me was starting the game at level 1 with a new character and profession and working my way back into the game mechanics, loot and such.  After hitting 80 and being mostly acquainted with the game again I then tackled the mess of inventory across my bank and other alts over the course of a weekend.  I found this much easier since I was familiar again with a lot of the game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, SandraSolace.7682 said:

That already helps. I didnt even think about that...

Im on eu. WvW is an option, but at the moment its just about getting back into playing and getting to grips with my storage.

Well, if you happen to be online and in need of company about 9pm CEST tonight, we could meet up. Can't promise any  good WvW though. I'm terrible at anything competitive.

• Like 2

I have played from release until end of 2013. Returned mid 2019 and played hardcore (I have a lot of free time) - and I managed to catch up with most of the stuff while also doing most major achievements. (Except the super grindy ones.)

For players with less time I would recommend to leisurely do the story and map completion in release order at least once. Achievements only as you have time. (I stopped each chapter trying to to achievements which made me progress slower.)

I do not know when you stopped - but I suggest to play stuff in order. After the core game ended ... Southsun and Silverwastes/Dry Top (season 2 of the story) got added. Then HoT, season 3, PoF, season 4, Icebrood - in that order. If you want you can get mounts and/or gliding first by going to PoF first. (Some people recommend at least the raptor which you get earlier. That would not mean too much spoilers in story.) Will make the other older stuff easier/faster.

But that is a matter of taste. (I tried to play at least once as "intended" - old stuff without gliding and mounts.) That needs more time though.

Now for re-learning: For me it was fine to just try my main again ... but checking the build slowly and learning to get used to it. (Own build/experimenting to get used to it.)

2nd char and leveling it from 1-80 also might help with some stuff.

For bank/inventory I suggest to pick up - if you want to stay with the game and willing to spend money - some bank tab expansions. In August there should be the anniversary sale I think. (They usually go on sale - but pretty late in that sale. And there is no absolute guarantee. Also there are other sales regularly.)

I think I posted in another thread regarding this. I recommend creating a new character and treat the game as brand new. This is how I did it after a 5~ year absence. Try to get the expansions when they are half price, they usually do this a few times a year. The last bit of living world 2 is also free right now so get that asap. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, SandraSolace.7682 said:

That already helps. I didnt even think about that...

Im on eu. WvW is an option, but at the moment its just about getting back into playing and getting to grips with my storage.

For storage:

You can do a chat command to find out what each item does and see if you need it, or what you can do with it.

Open your inventory, then press ENTER to start chat, then write /wiki [shift click on any item] (there should be one space after /wiki). This will open up your browser and take you to that item's wiki page and you'll see all the uses for that item. If it has no use, the wiki page will most of the time tell you it's safe to delete. Or if it has a use, you'll see what you can make with it, maybe sell it or store for later.

So...

/wiki [shift click on an item in your inventory]

• Like 1

The last time I played was after Southsun but before the ending to season 2 which I found weird since the map for the Southsun area was locked when I came back even though I have the Southsun Stalwart title to show I was there.

I started playing again a couple of months ago and the game seems super surreal. Glowing and sparkly people on mounts are flying and jumping around all over the place while I'm just casually walking around, looking at everything, and talking to NPC's. lol

Instead of just grabbing one of my old characters I started a new one and went through the living world episodes I have unlocked. 

I only have the core game that I bought years ago and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go and buy any of the expansions. Right now it's a maybe someday.

Edited by MasterfulGaze.4167