I really loathe immersion breaking cosmetics.

Christmas & Halloween mounts and cosmetics are a good example of this. The Phantom's Hood is alright, but Pumpkins & Christmas hats are too much.

I hate disco ball legendaries, rainbows and unicorns.

I hate cute neko ears. 

I don't want GW2 to become TERA. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 3

I think there is nothing wrong with holiday fashion. For strange mounts and other examples I agree.

The thing is, it is far too late to complain about it all. People seem to like it and buy such skins on gemstore very often. And as long as they buy, Anet is happy. 

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't consider Halloween and Wintersday themed items immersion breaking because both have been incorporated into the game with their own lore and history. Yes the aesthetics are obviously inspired by the USA version of each real-life festival but the same is true about the majority of fantasy worlds, they all draw on real-life directly or indirectly for their ideas.

Other than that if things like Halloween decorations, disco ball and rainbow unicorn legendaries ruin your immersion then GW2 was a lost cause from day 1, all those things have been in the game since the start.

For me it's just part of what makes GW2 different instead of yet another Tolkien-esque generic high fantasy setting. Yes it's silly (a lot of it isn't taken seriously in-universe either) but that's the setting Anet have chosen to create.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

It doesn't break my immersion because I'm immersed in the existing world, not the world I want it to be. I never walk into a store in real life, see somewhere wearing a brightly colored, mismatched outfit and think this is breaking my immersion.

This is stuff that's in the world and therefore, I can immerse myself in it. What you want is a more realistic looking world, that doesn't have things you consider to be frivilous. Nothing wrong with a unicorn. After all we have centaurs. Rainbows exist in real life and in this game.

This isn't something that breaks immersion. It's you wanting a very specific setting. This is why I try to come to games without genre preconceptions.

In the old days, guns in fantasy broke my immersion but I got over it.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

The most immersion breaking thing in any game will always be other players. No matter what restrictions, setups, options etc you give to players, some will find a way to break your immersion. Anything from looking like a walking neon sign, a hippie, gothic vampire, jumping up and down on a chair, or playing music from our real world, or just the way most players chat in-game etc.

There isn't really any way to get rid of that, other than playing a single player game.

Iirc it was Tera that had a bunch of options for this, where I could disable all chat from other players, disable all other players animations so I couldn't see them at all, and then disable all the name-plates as well. They where completely visually removed for me, the only way you could notice them was if a monster died in front of you (to invisible player) or a node got harvested in front of you etc. This was especially interesting that they included these options in a game that actually had the option of open world pvp, even in safe zones.

Now I don't expect GW2 to add those kind of options (though I wouldn't complain if they did), and I don't really think immersion breaking itself is a big issue in an MMO, it just goes with the whole multiplayer aspect. The greater problem here is that a lot of these flashy colours and effects are honestly painful to the eye to watch, and obscures so much gameplay. At this point I'm not even going to say that I think it would be beneficial, but required, to add more options to disable all the painfully flashing colourful effects in the game. Both for the sake of peoples poor abused eyes, and from a gameplay perspective, as I sure would love to see what I'm doing, and not just stare at a big blinking special sparkle effects.

* Start with converting the PvP and WvW feature "Standard Enemy Models" to also work in PvE, Make sure it also applies to infusions, mounts, backpacks, gliders, harvesting tools, and anything else.
* Then make an option that can be adjusted, so you can only see your own skill effects, and not other players (except combo fields).

Those two should be the very minimum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

For me it's just part of what makes GW2 different instead of yet another Tolkien-esque generic high fantasy setting. Yes it's silly (a lot of it isn't taken seriously in-universe either) but that's the setting Anet have chosen to create.

I don’t really agree - it seems like GW2 is conforming with the current trends in the market. During GW1 times they struck a perfect balance between typical fantasy and some modern bits. Here we have an overload of bizarre skins because they learned the more the better. And I think it is present in most of the modern games. In the past we used to have Tolkien-esque games with wonderful stories and lore and nowadays, well we have crazy skins and characters behaving like they are taken fresh from the 21st century.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The shiny flashing cosmetics sell.  I'd imagine Anet has found that if other players see such cosmetics then it will encourage them to want them and thus increase their revenue.  There's a reason this game is known as Fashion Wars.  If Anet allowed players to hide other players' cosmetics, it might well affect their income.  Only they would know if it would and, if so, to what degree.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

For me it's just part of what makes GW2 different instead of yet another Tolkien-esque generic high fantasy setting

I disagree, most popular MMOs incorporate those elements; Besides, "different" doesn't automatically mean "better". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

* Start with converting the PvP and WvW feature "Standard Enemy Models" to also work in PvE, Make sure it also applies to infusions, mounts, backpacks, gliders, harvesting tools, and anything else.
* Then make an option that can be adjusted, so you can only see your own skill effects, and not other players (except combo fields).

Those two should be the very minimum.

This will never happen.  These players specifically buy or earn cosmetics to show them off to everyone, and people would complain endlessly if we could opt out.

I agree that it's insanely immersion breaking to have all these cosmetics in game.  Oh boy my party's warrior is in short shorts and a T Shirt!

4 minutes ago, HappyHubris.1096 said:

This will never happen.  These players specifically buy or earn cosmetics to show them off to everyone, and people would complain endlessly if we could opt out.

I agree that it's insanely immersion breaking to have all these cosmetics in game.  Oh boy my party's warrior is in short shorts and a T Shirt!

For what it's worth it wouldn't bother me. I buy or unlock the cosmetics for me, because I like how they make my character look. I don't care what other people think or if they even notice (which is good because it's very rare that anyone says anything about it.) If players had the option to hide other players cosmetic items it wouldn't bother me or put me off using them.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I disagree, most popular MMOs incorporate those elements; Besides, "different" doesn't automatically mean "better". 

Nor does different mean worse. Fantasy itself evolves. Tolkien is undoubtedly the father of modern fantasy, but stereotypes remain stereotypes. If I had to play another game with elves and dwarves (or vampires and werewolves for that matter), I'm going to scream. Even the overuse of dragons annoys me. I went from Rift to Skyrim to Guild Wars 2. That's why Scarlet and Palawa Joko were so good for me.

Tolkien is one fantasy writer period, infinitely copied. It's time the genre moved on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Christmas & Halloween mounts and cosmetics are a good example of this. The Phantom's Hood is alright, but Pumpkins & Christmas hats are too much.

I hate disco ball legendaries, rainbows and unicorns.

I hate cute neko ears. 

I don't want GW2 to become TERA. 

Aren't you a bit late for that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like things I like. There are not enough of the things I like in the game. I'm sure you/some/many people wouldn't like the things I like, and vice versa. I also really hate the term 'immersion breaking'. When I sheathe my staff, it floats 6" away from my body. Immersion sailed.

• Like 3

I can't help but sympathize with OP, though I am well aware that there's nothing to be done about it.  However, what I will bitche about is this term some people on this thread are using: "Tolkien-esque" in the same sentence as "Generic".  There was a hell of a lot more to Tolkien than just elves and dwarves, and in those regards the "generic" fantasy folks refer to are similar to the Legendarium in only the most superficial sense.

• Like 1

Everyone with these bought skins are starting to look rather samey.

One good thing does come out of all of this is when you stand next to someone in a gem store skin wearing your vanilla stuff, you look great in comparison..

Edited by Follyfoot.2803
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I actually rather enjoy all of the crazy looks that people have in this game. Most of them seem rather cluttered to me but every now and then you see someone who has mixed and matched the right gear and the right colors, in order to look absolutely amazing in a way that you might not have even imagined before seeing them. I think this game would be much duller without all of those skins.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1