Ranger - Drake pet broken dmg

Rangers are using it on PvP and the Drake lighting breath did 12,5k dmg and his Tail Swipe did 8,5k !!! which is an automatic ability that hits when the pets engage combat, how are you supose to hold all that dmg from a pet hahahaa 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
1 hour ago, Ellywan.9273 said:

Rangers are using it on PvP and the Drake lighting breath did 12,5k dmg and his Tail Swipe did 8,5k !!! which is an automatic ability that hits when the pets engage combat, how are you supose to hold all that dmg from a pet hahahaa 

I went up to a golem and did the full combo and lightning breath did 3.7k. The tail swipe did alittle more but it’s super reliable since it isn’t a beast ability.

also the drake pet has insanely low precision so a crit is unlikely.

i think the reason people use it is actually it’s very high vitality while retaining a chance to do almost as much damage as a pet like an owl.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

I went up to a golem and did the full combo and lightning breath did 3.7k. The tail swipe did alittle more but it’s super reliable since it isn’t a beast ability.

also the drake pet has insanely low precision so a crit is unlikely.

i think the reason people use it is actually it’s very high vitality while retaining a chance to do almost as much damage as a pet like an owl.

Tail Swipe has hit me for over 7k before on Ele but it's rare.

7 minutes ago, eksn.7264 said:

Tail Swipe has hit me for over 7k before on Ele but it's rare.

If tail swipe actually hits and crits it’s generally 4.5 k given there are some modifiers.

the at most damage of tail swipe is actually appropriately 3/4 of the highest maul and these are both insanely rare circumstances where you hit with ever modifier possible.

compare this to tiger leap which at its prime was even greater than the highest maul and now sitting around the same as tail swipe.

now take into account how this isn’t a beast ability, is very hard to hit and does at most the same damage as tigers leap and then take into account how it has higher vitality and all of a sudden it is balanced.

in summary- highest damage is as good at a burst pet but has a higher cd and is less likely to hit than the burst pet + higher hp to make up for it.

Just tried.
6172 dmg on tails wipe against heavy golem.
both maul ( + 25% damage )
and opening strike ( 100% crit, +25% damage bonus )
So its possible to land over 7k crits, on targets with less toughness then heavy golem, maybe even upwards of 9-10K if target is light, stacked with vulnerability and pet gets some might bonuses.
F2 deals somewhere in the ballpark off 6-8k dmg depending on crits

BTW
without bonuses, tail swipe landed on light golem for 2630 ( no crit, pet has low base crit chance )

Edited by Leonidrex.5649
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

Just tried.
6170 dmg on tails wipe against heavy golem.
both maul ( + 25% damage )
and opening strike ( 100% crit, +25% damage bonus )
So its possible to land over 7k crits, on targets with less toughness then heavy golem, maybe even upwards of 9-10K if target is light, stacked with vulnerability and pet gets some might bonuses.
F2 deals somewhere in the ballpark off 6-8k dmg depending on crits

The f2 can also be as low as 2k if all hit. It’s very unlikely to hit anyone with all the modifiers since it’s not like tiger and even then it’ll probably max out at 8 k . I hit someone for 9 k but it was with all modifiers and 25 vuln they looked naked too- it’s not common

2 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

The f2 can also be as low as 2k if all hit. It’s very unlikely to hit anyone with all the modifiers since it’s not like tiger and even then it’ll probably max out at 8 k . I hit someone for 9 k but it was with all modifiers and 25 vuln they looked naked too- it’s not common

nah, non-crits were hitting golem for something like 900 with only 5 vuln, its easy 5k dmg even without bonuses.

2 hours ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

nah, non-crits were hitting golem for something like 900 with only 5 vuln, its easy 5k dmg even without bonuses.

More like 800 and in actual combat it’s not uncommon to get maybe 4 of those. It’s also one of the worst animations in the game and cannot be fired backwards.

you will be lucky to get 1 with the bonus- it pulls and average of like 1.5k. Considering how unreliable it is.

you guys are tripping about the dps- the pet has no more dps than jacaranda 

1 hour ago, Avatar.3568 said:

The next pet people. Cry about because they watched it in a stream. Drake has dmg but the reliability is so low, birds or smoke scale have less dmg but they hit constant 

but it is also on a class with a lot of easy access to roots and a few knockdowns

not saying i agree with the nerf calling, just saying, ranger has ways to land stuff like this easily 🙂

Edited by Liewec.2896
22 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

If tail swipe actually hits and crits it’s generally 4.5 k given there are some modifiers.

the at most damage of tail swipe is actually appropriately 3/4 of the highest maul and these are both insanely rare circumstances where you hit with ever modifier possible.

compare this to tiger leap which at its prime was even greater than the highest maul and now sitting around the same as tail swipe.

now take into account how this isn’t a beast ability, is very hard to hit and does at most the same damage as tigers leap and then take into account how it has higher vitality and all of a sudden it is balanced.

in summary- highest damage is as good at a burst pet but has a higher cd and is less likely to hit than the burst pet + higher hp to make up for it.

MadisonLee, Ovark, one other ranger(cant recall) can always find the "what the heck just happened" ranger builds.

probably why this thread exist

1 hour ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

MadisonLee, Ovark, one other ranger(cant recall) can always find the "what the heck just happened" ranger builds.

probably why this thread exist

Nah this isn’t something so mystic. It’s just a new trendy pet for valk ranger - it is definitely decent, but it’s dps isn’t any better than jacaranda at all, the only reason why some may prefer it is that tail swipe is a single hit skill which in some cases is good on valk ranger.

however if you want to match up against something like fire weaver u will be doing yourself a giant disservice becuz it’s not as tanky as jacaranda plus the immob on jacaranda will be one of the biggest kill potentials.

valk ranger is already really bad into fire weaver however which is why valk is mostly not viable in ats despite liars that claim its great.

2 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

valk ranger is already really bad into fire weaver however which is why valk is mostly not viable in ats despite liars that claim its great.

^ this

I'm tired of hearing these claims about the Drake God Core Valk Ranger. I play ranked and run several ATs a day, as well as yourself. It's been a couple weeks now since I've been hearing these big foot like sightings of godly valk drake rangers. You know what? I've yet to see even a single one in a ranked NA game or NA AT. 

You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to stream it tonight and delve in and "discover" The Drake God build. Let's take a good look at this build that everyone seems to think is so amazingly powerful.

I'll post it up soon.

Ok you know what, I'll save you from the hour long stream footage I just did and I'll sum it up for you:

1. Running Drake is literally rolling dice.
  2. There is no way to reliably make tail swipe or even chomp happen first.
  3. The best you can do is pet swap so he gets fury so he turns on remorseless, which grants him 25% damage and gives him auto crit, if you have it traited.
  4. Sometimes it will go directly into tail swipe. Sometimes it autos once and goes into tail swipe. Sometimes it autos 2 or 3 times and then goes into tail swipe. There was once in the footage after a pet swap that I seen it do 9 autos before doing a tail swipe. It's completely RNG.
  5. There is no way to reliably land moment of clarity or maul buff with the remorseless. The Drake is operating mainly off remorseless. It is possible to line up maul & moc buffs but it is completely RNG and rolling dice. You just duel and survive as normal, land your mauls as normal, hope it happens.
  6. Realistically while dueling other players in the ffa, I would see a tail swipe hit a player at the same time it crits with remorseless maybe once about every 15 minutes. Most even gold 3 or higher players move around a lot, and even with immobs or CCs, it just isn't easy to keep players near the Drake for the tail swipe. This is a lot different than Tigers pouncing at someone from far away or quick bird strikes.
  7. The F2 skills on every Drake are laughably bad pathing. No... this is actually worse than Engi pistol #2 skill. After seeing it for myself, I can only say to players who get hit by Drake F2s, that they completely deserve it.

Drake Rangers are dice rolling. This build is no way competitive as it does not provide the level of precision play required to deal with p2+ or even p+ players. I'm not even talking about Core Valk right now, I'm just talking about Drakes. There are better options. Even the Electric Wyvern as one example, autos twice as frequently as the Drakes, and he has 2x CCs to help pin down opponents for either decaps or for kills from Maul > Hilt Bash > Maul. The Wyvern is just as tanky as Drake and deals a lot more constant damage that cannot be so easily avoided.

This Drake thing is just another case where players see a single large number once in a full moon when the stars align, and so that means whatever did it is OP.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Crozame.4098 said:

It would be really fun to see how those who defending the pet and ranger in general ask to nerf other classes~

very simple. nerf the kittening holo as its the best side-noder by far. 

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Crozame.4098 said:

It would be really fun to see how those who defending the pet and ranger in general ask to nerf other classes~

In my case not much at all- ex I knew scourge was super strong but even wrote a thread asking them to plz buff blood bank becuz it was originally useless. 

I am a fan of relative balance where everything should work and assume that if everything works well it will have counters by natural selection.

in this case the pet isn’t super to jacaranda as it has the same dps but more single target dps which is balanced by jacaranda has sustain and soft cc. Also how it doesn’t do much more damage than a burst pet but is less predictable and has higher hp to make up for it.

it seems balanced compared to the other pets- the problem people have with it is the effect when combined with valk ranger- test that by playing it on a condi build or sic em, it’ll be useless.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

In my case not much at all- ex I knew scourge was super strong but even wrote a thread asking them to plz buff blood bank becuz it was originally useless. 

I am a fan of relative balance where everything should work and assume that if everything works well it will have counters by natural selection.

in this case the pet isn’t super to jacaranda as it has the same dps but more single target dps which is balanced by jacaranda has sustain and soft cc. Also how it doesn’t do much more damage than a burst pet but is less predictable and has higher hp to make up for it.

it seems balanced compared to the other pets- the problem people have with it is the effect when combined with valk ranger- test that by playing it on a condi build or sic em, it’ll be useless.

1) I disagree about the existence of counters and the natural selection stuff. I believe role based balance is the key -- all side noders are at similar level in 1v1, all healers support similarly, and all team fights produces similar output with or without support. The reason that I dislike making counters for balance is that, this will push the game into comp based, not skill based -- because counters, people will try to pick the comp that counter others...

2) Jacaranda is also broken af. Especially for new players who only stands on point. Also, when you evaluate a pet, you need to take the whole build into account. And the very reason that other builds do not use it makes the balance team easier to nerf it -- it will influence other builds less.

• Like 3
On 6/20/2021 at 1:25 PM, Liewec.2896 said:

but it is also on a class with a lot of easy access to roots and a few knockdowns

not saying i agree with the nerf calling, just saying, ranger has ways to land stuff like this easily 🙂

The only knockdowns ranger has access to are from your secondary pet, but you're gonna be up on your feet again before the pet swap happens and the drake wiggles it body right next to you. 

As for the build in general, weaver should win the sidenode matchup.

Edited by Lazze.9870

there are a lot of pets u can take with markmanship core build that can do big damage if u combo it right with fury procs and mauls/interrupts etc. maybe the problem is in the traitline if its a problem?

13 hours ago, Crozame.4098 said:

1) I disagree about the existence of counters and the natural selection stuff. I believe role based balance is the key -- all side noders are at similar level in 1v1, all healers support similarly, and all team fights produces similar output with or without support. The reason that I dislike making counters for balance is that, this will push the game into comp based, not skill based -- because counters, people will try to pick the comp that counter others...

2) Jacaranda is also broken af. Especially for new players who only stands on point. Also, when you evaluate a pet, you need to take the whole build into account. And the very reason that other builds do not use it makes the balance team easier to nerf it -- it will influence other builds less.

Jacaranda is objectively better as it works at a high level on any ranger builds.

you say it’s ezier to balance if we just nerf drake but that will kill some off meta builds completely- keep in mind there’s 4 drakes that basically do the exact same thing.

that’s the problem with claiming “role balance” when there really are a bunch of builds besides meta ones- and I can tell you based on fact that literally none of these new builds in the past year that are op are coming out of these pro teams making meta builds besides nade holo which was the obvious.

Innovation comes from not killing builds just for a few people. It’s a great system like capitalism.

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 7:28 PM, RedAvenged.5217 said:

ranger is in a good spot, minus any trapper rune builds.

war might need a condi defense tune up

thief needs a reduction in smokescreen to 4 secs but also a 3 second cooldown reduction, and repeater needs to be chopped to one use on flip.

remove trapper rune

scourge should recieve half the benefit of his casts if shades are active

weaver needs a bit more lag in evades, suggest vigor be removed or longer cds to evade weapons

holo doesnt need any reprieve from overheat, and its punishments must be increased.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
8 hours ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

Jacaranda is objectively better as it works at a high level on any ranger builds.

you say it’s ezier to balance if we just nerf drake but that will kill some off meta builds completely- keep in mind there’s 4 drakes that basically do the exact same thing.

that’s the problem with claiming “role balance” when there really are a bunch of builds besides meta ones- and I can tell you based on fact that literally none of these new builds in the past year that are op are coming out of these pro teams making meta builds besides nade holo which was the obvious.

Innovation comes from not killing builds just for a few people. It’s a great system like capitalism.

What off meta builds? You mentioned before that condi ranger and sic em SLB do not use it...

And why you say its killing builds just for a few people? 1) Adjusting the numbers does not mean reduce the dmg to 0 rendering it completely useless. and 2) its not just a few people thinking ranger pets are stronger than they should be.

Therefore, I do not see the problem with role based balance. Besides, your third paragraph makes no sense to me... Please re-write it so that others can understand.