New RP tools in EoD

Hopefully this is the right part for this topic. But as someone who rp'd at the start but stopped very soon after. I want, or should i say, i hope that they plan to introduce new tools for the rp community to grow. Ive only recently gotten back in to trying to rp again but with the mega servers its grow harder for me to feel comfortable trying to rp knowing that people from other servers might try and mock us about it. 

• Like 8

Happy to see you giving RPing a try again! It's certainly a lovely hobby. Even if this isn't reflective of all public events and all groups, I've personally noticed RPers moving away from using /s and /me channels outside of instances (such as Guild Halls) to avoid the type of reactions you've mentioned. It seems using party or squads, depending on group size, is the preferable method these days. While it does close your scene off from outsiders or people who would like to 'walk up' if they're not part of your guild or otherwise aware that there's an event being hosted, it does significantly decrease the possibiliy of the above happening - and maybe knowing this would help you feel more comfortable RPing, too!

However, I still think the above would make a little 'RPer' tag/toggle type of deal all the more useful. Like that, someone who isn't in the squad or party could still see that the 10+ folks standing in a circle are, in fact, not just standing around admiring the scenery.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I find it weird how people playing an MMO-R-P-G have a problem with RP.

People get weird about it as I've tried to do it. Guilds have for sure become the place to RP, but I have to be honest it just doesn't feel right. 

I'm hard-press to think what Anet could do to bump the RP community in this game.

Skiffs and Fishing is a great addition imo could help some communities, also the alliance for WvW could make some room for it., but I think the main thing this game is lacking is community interaction. There's not a lot of ways you can interact with each other. GW2 has always felt like a single-player game that you play with other people. 

We are few, but we are here. I'm wishing one day Anet finds the time or mechanics to help RP grow because it's so much fun and just adds another layer to the experience. You want to learn the lore when you RP and it's really fun to use that lore for your story.

Such as my 2 Charrs who are brothers. My engineer a Legion patriot, more specifically Ash legion. Is fighting on the frontline of Drizzlewood coast. His brother a Ranger, rejected the way of the Black citadel and Charr to live in the jungle to help others. 

This game has so much you can play around with, would love to see RP become a thing again.  

• Like 5

What tools you will want for rp ? i guess more emotes or things like that but we talk about new tools, i'm not sure what you could do excet server rp (which can't happend because of how gw2 is a meta event openworld focused game so you can't remove megaserver.. maybe one rp mega server for cities only ?).

In all honesty the rp community is so tiny that i think anything that was purely aimed at rpers would be a poor investment of development time. That said, more emotes, gizmos, guild hall decorations are probably the best you can expect although i expect that skiffs and fishing will be well suited for the rp community also.

One thing worth noting is that if you make rping a more public feature you would generally make it much more likely for people to troll and be disruptive (i would guess that is why the roleplay lfg channel is never used for instance) i think the best thing for rp in guild wars is to make good use of a discord server and then meet up to conduct specific events and adventures. I don't know of any mmos that properly foster rp in any meaningful way these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Roleplaying community in Guild wars 2 is dead. Most of the already small community  have moved on to other games, Mainly Elder Scrolls online which has a vibrant Roleplaying scene from what i heard. They also have a mega server but they also have a community there that understands and loves Roleplaying given the company and the game series in general. Elder scrolls was always a great place for roleplaying community. and in a way was built around it in a way. 

So yeah it would be a waste for them to do anything given just how small the community was and even smaller now. Most MMOS do not foster RP.. But some also are known for it. For example Elder scrolls online and WOW etc. But in the case of Wow they have a server that is for Roleplayers, While Guild wars 2 is a mega event open world and cities and has done away with servers except in the case of Wvw.

Edited by Lord Azazel.8703

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not into RP (feels like too much work to get right, for me), and I also agree that the community is probably much too small for ANet to justify investing significant systems work for.

That said, ANet doesn't appear to need to do much to satisfy some of what OP is looking for. Just having a separate RP chat channel that is by default disabled, and only those interested in doing it can turn on, would be really nice I think. The other thing that might work well without too much effort would be creating more decoratable story instances in the main cities. It would basically be miniature guild halls, where if you touch the entrance, you get a dialog box asking you which party member's version of the instance you want to join. It wouldn't really have to change the overworld that much either - I'm thinking of places like The Dead End in Divinity's Reach, just a small interactable door in an appropriately-sized building that is currently not enterable. Hopefully the fact that we already have a decoration system would help make this sort of thing easier to implement.

• Like 3

I used to RP on the EU servers, though I stopped about a year ago when most RPers left the game or moved to the NA side. EU had too much drama happening (the downside of RP), which caused for people to move on. Plus.. I think if GW2 had a housing system, like ESO has, the RP community would still be more alive today as this would have given people their own place to RP. Plus more emotes, even if it would only be idle standing poses or more ways to sit, those would have helped as well.
But for now I don't think it would be worth the time to invest in it all. It feels like it's a bit too late for it. Although many RPers love Cantha.. So, perhaps the community will be revived a little bit once Cantha comes.. Time will tell I guess.

I personally loved to RP in the game, as it made the world feel more alive. Seeing people RP in open world with /me is always great to see,  be it in a Tavern in the Reach or in the open field. Though as mentioned by others, sadly if there is any RP left, most of it is done in private squads / parties. 

• Like 1

I would like to firmly dispel the notion that there's no more RP on the EU side or that everyone moved to NA. Public events are still happening on a weekly or monthly basis, there's still guilds with an RP focus around, etc. We're currently in the usual summer/post-summer lull where a lot of people are coming back from vacation or preparing to go back to their respective real-life obligations.

Long story short: RP is around and about, you just have to do a little bit of searching online to find it.

More on topic, more decorations are always welcome and have the benefit of being liked by basically every group. There's a lot of little items floating around in the game such as plates with food (e.g., those Elonian dishes we see in Amnoon...) or those giant, pink trees in the Vehtendi Academy - to name just a few that I would love to be able to scribe or buy from a vendor. Please, I would love to have those trees.

Personally speaking, I also like the idea of just having a RP channel as previously described. Especially for RP outside of guilds that could be pretty useful for those who like more walk-up styled Roleplay.

Edited by Shadeste.4935
Just fixing the formatting.

Here's some GW2 RPing resources to help you out

https://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/
An Enjin page that's been around since the game's inception, for forum networking, or posting stories/character pages/etc.

https://discord.gg/bJamQ3g

Living World Roleplayers [LWRP] Discord Server, an excellent networking option to help you find people to roleplay with, also contains regular announcements on player-run roleplaying events

There are also two Addon projects currently in the early stages of alpha development that will give users access to an Overlay to store information about their characters and aid in networking with other roleplayers:
https://gw2rpc.net/overview

GW2 Roleplayers' Companion

https://gw2warp.com/

WARP Roleplaying Overlay

Hope this helps!

Edited by Gambit.9501
  • Like 2

More emotes ( and better ones... look at ESO for inspiration. Anet has great animators, they can do it 🙂 ). Maybe something to make the "home instance" more accessible ? Oh and the elephant in the room: the chat window needs to be more helpful. I can't count the number of times people have spoken to me in /G or /S and only noticed 5 minutes and 3 zones later. I'm thinking sound prompts that could be turned on or off, depending on preferences might be good.

Side note: " the community is too small to be worth the work "  is precisely why it's small. Same reasoning went into the decision to fit all gear to humans and jury rig it on all the other races with visibly poor results in most cases... and driving people away from those races.

• Like 2

I'd love to get into RPing in GW2, but there's just so little about it now.
The RP community is all over the place, there's no way you can find random rps in the open world. I love random RPs and walk-ups, it's fun stuff to get your mind and soul rested. 
We lack emotes, we lack housing, we lack proper RP tools big time.
I'd love if we could get our character sheet to write proper biography and information, like Total Roleplay 3 for WoW. That's minimal effort and it's more than doable. Other players should be able to see your sheet too, etc.

I mean, when there's nothing to do, content-wise, RPers are there to stay.
RP is endless content, it's the story you build and write with other players, you make the world alive and there's constant story and stuff going on. 
I feel it is wise to focus on RPers and give some proper food for them. Little things like emotes and character sheet can go a long way. 
Same as a proper RP-dedicated server even, or a way to flag for RP so people can know you're an RPer. Say those who flag for RP can all be transferred to a particular world instance - like megaserver but just for RPers.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 6:49 AM, Psykewne.3025 said:

In all honesty the rp community is so tiny that i think anything that was purely aimed at rpers would be a poor investment of development time. That said, more emotes, gizmos, guild hall decorations are probably the best you can expect although i expect that skiffs and fishing will be well suited for the rp community also.

One thing worth noting is that if you make rping a more public feature you would generally make it much more likely for people to troll and be disruptive (i would guess that is why the roleplay lfg channel is never used for instance) i think the best thing for rp in guild wars is to make good use of a discord server and then meet up to conduct specific events and adventures. I don't know of any mmos that properly foster rp in any meaningful way these days.

The RP community is a lot bigger than most people think.  It's just we have a hard time finding each other.    
Yes, having other gamers trolling you is annoying but just ignore them, don't interact with them and they usually get tired and go away.

Nothing kills the RP community faster than strictly guild hall RPing.  It's fine to do once in a while and if you're having an event you only want your guild members to participate in but other than that, people don't know you exist if you're hidden away and the RP community starts to become a myth like the loch ness monster. (Something people believe exists but can never prove.)

It would be very nice if there were a way to find the RP shard for those that are into it. And I completely agree that most MMORPGs just ignore the RPG part and claim it's cause there are too few of us.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've always found it weird that this MMORPG seems to leave the RPG aspect almost entirely up to users and outside sources. There are definitely things they could add that would benefit RPers, and also broader swaths of the playerbase.

Here are a few:
- Improved LFG (Guild search function, standing group advertisements, etc.)
- More customization options for the chat window (Font selection/size, color assignment for channels, character count indicator, copy/paste text)
- The ability to see a drop-down list of existing map instances and switch freely between them
- Emotes that are silent and/or don't flood chat
- Character names that can always be right-clicked regardless of emoting or chatting in /say
- Ability to add "notes" to players without having to block or add them to the friend list.
- More "domestic" locations (Buildings you can enter, chairs/environmental objects you can sit/interact with, peaceful locations with no pathing events, "vistaless" vistas)

I don't know if we'll get anything like that with EoD, but it'd be nice.

• Like 6

On 6/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, Shadeste.4935 said:

Happy to see you giving RPing a try again! It's certainly a lovely hobby. Even if this isn't reflective of all public events and all groups, I've personally noticed RPers moving away from using /s and /me channels outside of instances (such as Guild Halls) to avoid the type of reactions you've mentioned. It seems using party or squads, depending on group size, is the preferable method these days. While it does close your scene off from outsiders or people who would like to 'walk up' if they're not part of your guild or otherwise aware that there's an event being hosted, it does significantly decrease the possibiliy of the above happening - and maybe knowing this would help you feel more comfortable RPing, too!

However, I still think the above would make a little 'RPer' tag/toggle type of deal all the more useful. Like that, someone who isn't in the squad or party could still see that the 10+ folks standing in a circle are, in fact, not just standing around admiring the scenery.

I don't RP, but I've run into one large group in the middle of divinity's reach that I was surprised to see. It was the first time I'd seen a group using say/me instead of private channels (at least, first time in many many years)

I never thought about it before, but having a dedicated RP channel that's either the same as say chat or map chat, but explicitly for the purpose of roleplaying could be neat. (or being able to toggle RP and then using your existing channels with that toggle on, yeah), since this would let people talk publicly (potentially advertising their group to other nearby players who may be interested in joining) but allowing anyone who's not interested to just turn it off instead. 

I attended my first RP event this last Sunday. It was fantastic. I was *so* nervous, as that was my first time RP'ing in this game, but I had a blast. (And I made a friend! I'm so happy.) There were, of course, a few trolls who tried to disrupt us early on, but no one paid attention to them. Kind of have to question what's going through someone's mind when they zero in on the one person who doesn't have a guild tag (cough, me), run up to them and get in their face, and try to recruit them to a questionable guild*...when that person is quite clearly in the middle of a public RP event...

While I think a dedicated RP chat channel would be interesting, in large events it'd also have the potential to be really, *really* confusing. It was disorienting enough having twenty people all talking in /say, /e, and occasionally /squad, and I had to frantically scroll up and down to make sure I wasn't missing posts from my conversation partners (...pretty sure I did, but it worked out in the end). Imagine how much more confusing it would be if all that talk was happening on *one* channel. I'm not sure that would be ideal.

An actual toggle for RP, though? Something that would add a little tag to your character's name, like the beta character icons, or a special buff icon (that doesn't actually provide any buffs, just an indicator) that lets other people know you're open for RP? That would be nice!

*And by "questionable," I mean "pretty sure it's THAT sort of RP." That does mark the second time somebody's tried to flirt with my character, though. Either I really knocked her looks out of the park, or it just proves the Female Human Meta. 🤣

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, WindBlade.8749 said:

What tools you will want for rp ? i guess more emotes or things like that but we talk about new tools, i'm not sure what you could do excet server rp (which can't happend because of how gw2 is a meta event openworld focused game so you can't remove megaserver.. maybe one rp mega server for cities only ?).

Guilds are essentially 'RP servers' I've found which is nice, but there's not a lot you can do in this game outside combat, so seeing fishing is nice for me. So having more instances in which guild members and such and be in would help a lot.

(Also shout out to the instruments which are amazing, I wish they were unlocked through achievements though:( )

Yeah more emotes, player housing, more 'life skills' like hunting, gathering, maybe stables for mounts.

More things to build within the guild, maybe some mini-games more customization within the arena. A library to store trophies and books for lore.

Speaking of mini games I've always loved the idea of GW2 have a little card game or something that you could play in-game, think it would be really fun. Maybe have a magic box  you can place down and play a game with someone.

There's loads they could do and if they are smart about it could incorporate into gameplay well. Making the new hunting/gather skills could be about upgrading your houses facilities with the home instances, they already have nodes, why not more?

So the base line really is just more variety outside of combat.

Of course Anet seem to be very focus on a lot of things right now, it's just I would like to see content more related to RPing in the future, could make a great LW season drop. 

I still love the game regardless 🙂

Edited by SirRocket.3516