Would you like to see gw2 Battle Royale?

That's 

1 hour ago, artharon.9276 said:

Well, give people higher chance to obtain a precursor or gems from southsun survival mode and watch it become the next big thing in the gw2's history.

That's like saying, "I put a million-dollar diamond in this goat's behind. If you dig it out, it's yours." Sadly, I don't know too many people who wouldn't.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@ those who prefer ANet use their resources elsewhere...

That's, of course, your privilege.  However, be aware that there is already a perception that ANet doesn't give enough attention to those who prefer PvP, and some of those players also support the game.  There is a danger in focusing too narrowly, as opposed to attempting to maintain and even grow (!!!!) diverse demographics to support ongoing development for everyone.

That's a fair point.  I'll grant that.  I guess, then, it might be more prudent to fix the existing PvP mode before introducing something new?

• Thanks 2

Wow, just over 1 page in and we're already working on the assumption that hardly anyone actually wants this and what it 'needs' is a way to force them to do it anyway.

I don't think that's a good approach here. Occasionally you might get someone who just didn't know it existed or hadn't gotten around to trying it and needs an incentive, but that's pretty much already covered by the activity daily achievement. Otherwise you just get a lot of people coming in, doing the bare minimum necessary for the reward and leaving as soon as possible, likely never to return.

Instead I'd start with trying to address the fact that activities aren't well known by adding some more ways to find them or making the ones that exist more obvious (maybe add an NPC to the PvP lobby since I think they all include a competative aspect) then try to work out why the games themselves aren't engaging enough to keep people who like that sort of thing playing and try to make it more fun for them so they want to keep doing it.

Although I doubt it will ever be a big thing. I can't imagine many people who want to play a battle royale game instead choosing to play an MMORPG where it's one of the mini games, so it's likely to remain something people drop into briefly in between other activities.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

In addition to Southsun Survival, there were also the Repel the invading dragon forces and Hunger Royale events that concluded a couple of the pre-release beta weekends. While these don't help people who missed them, they were fun because of the novelty, not because they were good. An MMO is not the best place for a battle royale mode, especially one with an engine approaching 2 decades old.

A BR mode if done well may be fun, but part of the risk of it is player retention. If the people doing it drops after a week or two when the novelty wears off (because the engine makes it janky to play), that's a lot of development for new content that is now sitting there with minimal players. With WvW and PvP languishing, it wouldn't make sense to spend that much time on a yet another new PvE mode when there's already several other PvE modes already (including Southsun Survival) and GW2 is not designed to do BR well to begin with.

We've already suggested this a number of times in the wvw section, and converting eotm for this purpose.

But I don't think development should be given to another pvp section to also be forgotten after, better to keep whatever little development in spvp and wvw to them, and hopefully they'll improve and refresh both sections in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark Dvid.2906 said:

How about open world PvP outside of events instead?

There had been several threads in the past about this and in most cases the community (at least as represented by those in the forum) is against this idea.  You can use the forums search feature to read those threads and get up to speed on the topic.

• Like 1

I’m kind of amused how most people in this topic are so adamant against such bigger-scale pvp mode. I think it would be a nice option to have and it would definetely bring some new life to the pvp mode in general.

Capping points has gotten old back in late 2012 😅 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mik.3401 said:

I’m kind of amused how most people in this topic are so adamant against such bigger-scale pvp mode. I think it would be a nice option to have and it would definetely bring some new life to the pvp mode in general.

I'm not against it.  There already exists a mode in GW2 for PvP.  I am all for improving it for those who enjoy it.  There is no need to add it to open world PvE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mik.3401 said:

Read the replies, most of the objections are not because people are against PvP but because it would be redundant.

We've already got large scale PvP in the form of World vs World, smaller team matches in sPvP and a Battle Royale mode with unique skills (to avoid the balance issues) in Southsun Survival. There's no need to add another one and players are always complaining that WvW and PvP don't receive enough attention as it is so adding yet another thing for Anet to work on is unlikely to help.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Read the replies, most of the objections are not because people are against PvP but because it would be redundant.

We've already got large scale PvP in the form of World vs World, smaller team matches in sPvP and a Battle Royale mode with unique skills (to avoid the balance issues) in Southsun Survival. There's no need to add another one and players are always complaining that WvW and PvP don't receive enough attention as it is so adding yet another thing for Anet to work on is unlikely to help.

I did read no need to patronise me please. I am not convinced if some random competitive activity in southsun is a sufficient alternative to easily accessible pvp mode option. Unless you can access it from the pvp lobby then you’re correct. Also, comparing the idea to WvW is a bit extreme as the scale is not comparable at all.

It seems like things which have been poorly implemented, or are not clearly visible to the major part of player base in the game due to again - poor design, are just labelled as things at which GW2 would never excel on. 

I'm guessing with the initial no and no and no, you accidentally posted this in general.

That's OK, and I imagine, without reading...you probably got the usual "southsun", or perhaps resources and time developing anything else.....

Lol....

I and some others have posted this idea before.

So, maybe look at updating southsun survival, changing some of the rules, and moving the queue for it to the mists instead of Lions Arch.

This way they won't have to start from ground zero, and it will be visible to more pvp players.

The dueling arena is just a time-sink meme, and 2v2 has consistently proven itself to be the most stale, low-effort bottleneck for PvP creativity in all of Tyria; combined with how slow new maps come in GW2 and how cripplingly dependent any sort of "skillful movement" is on terrain gimmicks, GW2 battle royale sounds positively dreadful.