FidelityFX Super Resolution

FidelityFX Super Resolution  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will FidelityFX Super Resolution be implemented?

• YES
    • NO

No one can answer your poll except Anet lol.

But i don't think it will, Anet can't optimise the 8 year old game to run properly on current hardware, let alone implement something new into the engine.

"Shpagetti code" or something let's put it nicely...

Or at least, that's what the community is spewing all the time, and Anet doesn't feel the need to correct them because that would require work. Better for the community to defent Anet's inactions on making the game run properly than actually making it run properly right? 🤣

I'm being cynical of course, i have no idea why they're not doing anything to the engine.

That said - don't hold your breath. This is AMD's new feature and you want to cram it into an old engine - probably not happening unless Anet upgrades it.

• Like 1

Fidelity FX is basicly just a resolution scaler with fancier tech, so even if GW2 is spaghetti code I dont think it would be very hard to do.

But considering the game is CPU bound already I highly doubt it will add much.

Fidelity FX is also pretty useless outside it's ultraquality mode (it look like vaseline smeared on the screen, remind me of early gaming where you had to disable anisotropic filtering for performance) but granted ~30% performance increase is still substantial.

Believe it or not, FSR might actually make performance worse, not better. FSR helps performance by allowing the game to run at a lower resolution internally, without losing as much image quality as if it were to use a "dumb" upscaler like bilinear filtering (which is often the default upscaler), similar to setting the game's render sampling to 'Subsample', just with a better upscaling method.

Doing so moves some load off the GPU, allowing the GPU to render images faster, while also putting more load on the CPU, as the CPU has to give commands to the GPU faster, for the GPU to keep busy. This typically isn't a problem with a fast CPU and a game that is able to efficiently utilise the CPU, but if you don't have either of those things (or worse, if you don't have both), then the CPU can hold the GPU back, preventing it from pushing out as many frames as it could otherwise push out, leading to a CPU bottleneck.

Unfortunately, GW2 is one of those games that makes horrible use of the CPU, to the point where if you have even a somewhat remotely balanced system, with a CPU and GPU that pair well together (ie the CPU isn't so much faster than the GPU, and vice versa), you'll pretty much always be hitting a CPU bottleneck.

I'm on a system with a Ryzen 7 5800X and a 3090, and even at 1440p with the DX12 mod (which reduces CPU overhead) and render sampling set to 'Supersample' (meaning that, assuming 'Supersample' runs the game at 2x resolution, I'm running the game at 5120x2880, above 4K), I still really only see 60-70% GPU usage at absolute maximum, with a single CPU core hovering right around 80-90%: a classic CPU bottleneck. To even see the GPU start to become the bottleneck, you'd either need to run that game at a stupid resolution, or you'd need to be using such an old graphics card that any modern CPU would run rings around it, even a Pentium. That's how bad it is.

Because of this, there's a 99.9% chance that FSR will result in worse performance, because it'll make the CPU bottleneck the vast majority of people have with GW2 that much worse. Even with the DX12 mod, it'd still probably make the CPU bottleneck worse, hurting performance.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Pifil.5193 said:

I think FidelityFX support has been added to ReShade so the OP could use that if they wish.

I don't really see ArenaNet adding support for it but who knows, maybe they've got some client improvements lived up.

So you can basically set GW2 to subsample, then use FidelityFX to upscale it to normal resolution?

Though, in my experience, i don't get a lot, if any FPS boost when running the game on subsample, so i doubt the usefulness of this...

5 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Fidelity FX is basicly just a resolution scaler with fancier tech, so even if GW2 is spaghetti code I dont think it would be very hard to do.

But considering the game is CPU bound already I highly doubt it will add much.

Fidelity FX is also pretty useless outside it's ultraquality mode (it look like vaseline smeared on the screen, remind me of early gaming where you had to disable anisotropic filtering for performance) but granted ~30% performance increase is still substantial.

It's kind of about time they did something to the engine and make it run smooth. Maybe after EoD we can start convincing Anet to do something about it. Maybe they can start with FidelityFX if it's not hard to do. I'm sure some people would like the option.

21 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

They would have to port to DX11/12/Vulkan before FSR ...

They probably wouldn't need to. It'd only be the reference implementation that requires DX11/DX12/Vulkan, ie the "I don't want to write this myself, I just want to grab what AMD has, throw it in and get it working" implementation. The actual shaders and core concept probably work on older versions of these APIs (definitely OpenGL, there's only a few things that Vulkan has over modern OpenGL, and none of them would keep you from implementing FSR in an OpenGL game), so, if a developer wanted to put the time and effort in, they could write it themselves for whatever API they're using. It's just a matter of if they want to write it themselves.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jcm.8921 said:

They probably wouldn't need to. It'd only be the reference implementation that requires DX11/DX12/Vulkan, ie the "I don't want to write this myself, I just want to grab what AMD has, throw it in and get it working" implementation. The actual shaders and core concept probably work on older versions of these APIs (definitely OpenGL, there's only a few things that Vulkan has over modern OpenGL, and none of them would keep you from implementing FSR in an OpenGL game), so, if a developer wanted to put the time and effort in, they could write it themselves for whatever API they're using. It's just a matter of if they want to write it themselves.

FSR requires DirectX 11, 12, or Vulcan; it's even made pretty clear on GPUOpen that those are what it supports. It's not impossible a player would hack together a version that worked with DX9 in some way, like dx912pxy, but it would be unsupported in the same way.

No developer is going to try and cram it into their older DX9 game via open license when it's not officially supported, and there's no reason for AMD to try and make it work with DX9 themselves, so it's not going to happen.  ArenaNet aren't going to use the open license to try and make FSR work in GW2 in any official capacity, even if it were technically possible.  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

If you have a RX 5000 series card you can also use RSR ... if you are using dx9(since gw2 dx11 doesn't currently support full screen exclusive) 😕

Not available yet. I believe AMD's official statement was sometime in first quarter of 2022.

But, if you scroll down and look at the footnotes: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-super-resolution

it says: "As of January 2022, Radeon Super Resolution is compatible with Radeon RX 5000 series graphics and newer and works with games that support exclusive full-screen mode. AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.1.3 or newer is required."

That means 3rd driver release for Jan. 2022, and we just had the second release a few days ago (22.1.2). So probably sometime in the next week or so.

To echo statements, DX11 for GW2 still doesn't operate in exclusive full-screen mode, even with all the updates to it since the beta was released.