Are Trick-or-Treat bags worth it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Halan.8951 said:I got 2 Oontz necklaces ( green and black) from bags on the first day, and didn't run Labyrinth since then. Are they considered rare? No weapons yet... but almost 2 weeks left.

A rare but unfortunately not extremely rare drop.

The gem can be infused through 1 [+9 agony +5 stat] infusion and 2 other almost free items in order to transform it from a jewel to a real infusion.Here's the recipe https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Poly-luminescent_Undulating_Refractor_(Black) ( i linked you the black one but is the same for every jewel ).

For me, over the years, they have become no more worth it.Firstly, I am no more interested in their contents since a long time already (after I got the max candy node for home instance, had nothing left I was interested in).Secondly, since this year, I make more gold within less time via other means than farming T&T bags in labyrinth. I did a few rounds of labyrinth at beginning of event until i realized that.So, all in all, I don't need them anymore. If I get some as drops, nice, I sell them, but I don't farm them anymore.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:In my opinion, it is not worth it this time. Last year I had an entire bank tab full of unique stuff after unlocking all of it for myself by this point. This year I have gotten exactly 4 unique items in thousands of regular bags and hundred of personalized bags. The drop rates seem to have been nerfed into the floor.

Partly that's because you already have an entire bank tab full of unique stuff from last year. The rates are comparable to last year, except maybe the infusion. ToT bags are selling at similar value to last year too, which means that they are, from any practical measure, just as valuable. (There are some differences; they just aren't that significant.)

The fact that you don't see value in them is a fundamental human quality: we like new & shiny, we like obvious gold (not hidden), and we burn out quickly on game content and items. It's basically impossible for ANet to give us the same level of enjoyment of stuff each year, without making the newest players feel like they missed out on everything.

In short, this is more about how your perception has changed about ToTs than any actual change in rates or value.

All due respect, but I don't see how someone would have the guts to post something this patronizing without actually seeing what's dropping for the addressed party.

I'm not talking about what's dropping or not for a particular person. I'm talking about the data, which shows the drop rates are similar between both years, with the exception of the infusion which didn't drop in the 200k bags of data I've seen published. The other items are dropping about what they did last year. The new torch has a stunningly low drop rate, which means most of us won't see one drop.

All of that affects perception, which is my point. The OP doesn't feel the bags are worth it this year, which is partly a result of the OP already having gotten all the interesting stuff last year and partly that anything new isn't dropping much for anyone. That certainly feels less inspiring, but it doesn't mean the bags are actually less valuable, just that it feels less rewarding.

And that's part of the difficulty for us as players and ANet as a gaming company: each year we see a festival, it becomes more difficult for them to give us the same sort of excitement in loot as before.

I say yes, but only in the case that you only use the ones from achievements or drops. They aren't worth buying unless you really want to try for those rare drop items. In truth, I use them mostly for the boost items and candy corn (which I get the Drooburt achievments with and then go buy pumpkin for my GH decorations). Other than that, the finishers are good but the tonics are just meh...except shadow raven tonics...those are easy wins for costume brawls.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:In my opinion, it is not worth it this time. Last year I had an entire bank tab full of unique stuff after unlocking all of it for myself by this point. This year I have gotten exactly 4 unique items in thousands of regular bags and hundred of personalized bags. The drop rates seem to have been nerfed into the floor.

Partly that's because you already have an entire bank tab full of unique stuff from last year. The rates are comparable to last year, except maybe the infusion. ToT bags are selling at similar value to last year too, which means that they are, from any practical measure, just as valuable. (There are some differences; they just aren't that significant.)

The fact that you don't see value in them is a fundamental human quality: we like new & shiny, we like obvious gold (not hidden), and we burn out quickly on game content and items. It's basically impossible for ANet to give us the same level of enjoyment of stuff each year, without making the newest players feel like they missed out on everything.

In short, this is more about how your perception has changed about ToTs than any actual change in rates or value.

All due respect, but I don't see how someone would have the guts to post something this patronizing without actually seeing what's dropping for the addressed party.

I'm not talking about what's dropping or not for a particular person. I'm talking about the data, which shows the drop rates are similar between both years, with the exception of the infusion which didn't drop in the 200k bags of data I've seen published. The other items are dropping about what they did last year. The new torch has a stunningly low drop rate, which means most of us won't see one drop.

All of that affects perception, which is my point. The OP doesn't feel the bags are worth it this year, which is partly a result of the OP already having gotten all the interesting stuff last year and partly that anything new isn't dropping much for anyone. That certainly feels less inspiring, but it doesn't mean the bags are actually less valuable, just that it feels less rewarding.

And that's part of the difficulty for us as players and ANet as a gaming company: each year we see a festival, it becomes more difficult for them to give us the same sort of excitement in loot as before.

Last year there was a bug with the personalized bags dropping from atm which had tons of exotics dropping.

@Neutra.6857 said:

Last year there was a bug with the personalized bags dropping from atm which had tons of exotics dropping.

If that's true they need to redo the drops to be closer to that bug. It dosen't need to be as much as last year (even I thought it was a bit much), but the sparsity of worthwhile drops now has at this point driven me to stop bothering outside of dailies (for the guaranteed special skin every 5 days) and the occasional ATM (because it takes so little time to do).

• 2 weeks later...

@Shadowzerk.4715 said:I just opened 2,750 Trick-or-Treat bags and 250 Personalized Trick-or-Treat Bagsand I got nothing, no skins, no mini, nothing.I just want that Touch of Madness skin, and farm ToT bags was a huge mistake :'(

If you had sold the bags instead of opening them, you might have had enough to buy the torch. (Although that turns out to depend a lot on when you sold them and when you put in the offer.)

The odds of getting the torch are about 25k:1. The chance of getting the torch from "only" 2750 ToTs is about 1%.

i haven’t sold one bag. i opened them all. and bought more bags. first 3k bags i bought i got some cheap weapon skins. then i farmer 71 bags myself and got an infusion. i bought more bags days later and got touch of madness. and few days ago i had 50 gold left and bought bags again and got another touch of madness and that amulet with a teal infusion. but is only worth 5 gold i saw. so i have to do fractals. but from the personalized bags i haven’t gotten something useful. i think i haven’t opened more then 5k bags this halloween. i have 2 gold lose every stack of 250 bags but get many ascended mats back so maybe it’s not a lose.

@titje.2745 said:i haven’t sold one bag. i opened them all. and bought more bags. first 3k bags i bought i got some cheap weapon skins. then i farmer 71 bags myself and got an infusion. i bought more bags days later and got touch of madness. and few days ago i had 50 gold left and bought bags again and got another touch of madness and that amulet with a teal infusion. but is only worth 5 gold i saw. so i have to do fractals. but from the personalized bags i haven’t gotten something useful. i think i haven’t opened more then 5k bags this halloween. i have 2 gold lose every stack of 250 bags but get many ascended mats back so maybe it’s not a lose.

If you need ascended mats they are totally worth it.Also if you don't have your MF already at cap.

It has to be consider an investment.You are probably going to lose 2g as stack as you said, but MF and ascended mats have their own value in terms of time spent.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@titje.2745 said:i haven’t sold one bag. i opened them all. and bought more bags. first 3k bags i bought i got some cheap weapon skins. then i farmer 71 bags myself and got an infusion. i bought more bags days later and got touch of madness. and few days ago i had 50 gold left and bought bags again and got another touch of madness and that amulet with a teal infusion. but is only worth 5 gold i saw. so i have to do fractals. but from the personalized bags i haven’t gotten something useful. i think i haven’t opened more then 5k bags this halloween. i have 2 gold lose every stack of 250 bags but get many ascended mats back so maybe it’s not a lose.

If you need ascended mats they are totally worth it.Also if you don't have your MF already at cap.

It has to be consider an investment.You are probably going to lose 2g as stack as you said, but MF and ascended mats have their own value in terms of time spent.

yes my magic find was maybe 200 or something and now it’s 216. only with this halloween it got a huge boost.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Shadowzerk.4715 said:I just opened 2,750 Trick-or-Treat bags and 250 Personalized Trick-or-Treat Bagsand I got nothing, no skins, no mini, nothing.I just want that Touch of Madness skin, and farm ToT bags was a huge mistake :'(

If you had sold the bags instead of opening them, you might have had enough to buy the torch. (Although that turns out to depend a lot on when you sold them and when you put in the offer.)

The odds of getting the torch are about 25k:1. The chance of getting the torch from "only" 2750 ToTs is about 1%.

Holy shit! Was that the actual drop rate?!!

O-0

Isn't it only worth a measly 120g?

I just dropped my entire pixel savings to buy keys for the REAL Halloween prize ... And lost it all. Worst part it... if I took that gold and put a buy order in... I might have gotten it.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

Holy kitten! Was that the actual drop rate?!!

O-0

I just dropped my entire pixel savings to buy keys for the REAL Halloween prize ... And lost it all. Worst part it... if I took that gold and put a buy order in... I might have gotten it.

I wish I was rich to think 120 gold was "measly".Either way I think it's around 200 gold at the moment.

And what was the halloween price you can only get with keys?

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

O-0

I wish I was rich to think 120 gold was "measly".Either way I think it's around 200 gold at the moment.

Ghastly grinning shield.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

O-0

Ghastly grinning shield.

Ooh. I actually would've liked one of those, but I also need a class I like shield with.I did do a quick check and saw there was a scythe I could've gotten with keys... which I didn't and it's 1600 gold according to the wiki. No thanks.Why couldn't I have gotten that instead of the fallen balthazar outfit....

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

O-0

Ghastly grinning shield.

Ooh. I actually would've liked one of those, but I also need a class I like shield with.I did do a quick check and saw there was a scythe I could've gotten with keys... which I didn't and it's 1600 gold according to the wiki. No thanks.Why couldn't I have gotten that instead of the fallen balthazar outfit....

Fucker! I got that in my chest spree, it's account bound tho or I would have given it to you.

Archived