Dragon "Sad" Festival

lummuss.6850

I didn't really get up to playing the festival this year. I'll share the reasons:
1st - The festival is repetitive, cloying and exhausting. (I didn't see anything new except a glove, miniatures and 3 (ugly) weapons that cost a lot zhaitaffy piece.
2nd - The daily piece zhaitaffy farm is scarce and boring, the festival forces the player to spend game money to get more zhaitaffy piece. They put absurdly priced items selling on NPCs in exchange for zhaitaffy pieces as if it were something very possible to buy. (How do you farm 100,000 zhaitaffy pieces to buy a wing?!)
3rd - Festivals, instead of forcing players to spend money, should facilitate the farm of money and the acquisition of items. And from what I saw at this festival, it forces the player to spend in-game money to get the items.
4th - Dragon arena = boring and boring. It was time to drop zhaitaffys from mini holographic monsters, but so far nothing. When I walk in there, I can barely stay a full round, it's so disheartening. (But now I don't even come in anymore, because I won't play this).
5th - Holographic stampede = boring and boring. Item acquisition is very low and difficult to participate (if you manage to kill something in that, consider yourself lucky).
My opinion regarding the structure and mechanics of the game.
I wonder if it's really possible to farm 100,000 zhaitaffy pieces until the event is over so we can buy the holographic wing from one of the merchants. (laughing with sadness)
Share your opinions, I can talk about that because it's the third year I've been disappointed with this festival (I'm a PVE player).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 13

1) This can be said about all the festivals. Either you enjoy the events or  you don't. I like the Roller Beetle Race and take mindless joy in beating up pinatas. The Holographic Stampede is better this year compared to last year, so that's a nice bonus.

2) You  can easily get 2 Jorbreakers per day with little effort, which is actually pretty good. That is for short of the 100 Jorbreakers you need for wings, though. (I agree- how is the price set for this thing?) For a lot of these, it's likely best to just sell all your Zhaitaffy and buy those wings for 80 gold off the TP. But a lot of these high end achievements are meant to be accomplished by poorer players selling their Zhaitaffy to the rich.

3) Due to the above,  festivals are a money farm for me, so I think it is handled fine

4) I agree that they should make survival mode more interesting so there are more goals besides getting to the second Holo Eye for a one-time achievement. Rewards should exponentially increase in Survival Arena so players will push their luck and see how far they can get.

5) In the stampede, the holo projectors last much longer than they did last year and I find it very easy to get to multiple projectors. Mounts are key to getting around to the different projectors, so if you're not using a mount, that will make it very difficult and you'll need an extremely mobile class in order to participate.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1.  All festivals could be considered this, but it's very subjective. 

2.  It's meant to be worked on gradually over the years, like many of the festivals have more expensive rewards.  Not really that hard to farm. 

3.  You don't have to spend any money...don't know what you're seeing there or if you're simply wanting instant gratification. Personally I make quite a bit selling items and also have enough for my own personal achievements by simply doing the dailies and achievements.  

4.  Not the most exciting, especially for vets, newer players might find some of it more challenging.  But hey, in and out, done.  

5.  Not hard to tag and kill holograms, it's a fast event and repeats quite frequently.  Actually it's improved.  You definitely want a mount.  

Also, if you have a home instance node, farm the taffy throughout the year.  Adds up for a headstart on the event.  Most importantly, be patient, keep farming and doing events, and it's a long festival...plenty of time.  By the way, the new weapons skins are available in the coffers so you may get them from there.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lummuss.6850 said:

I didn't really get up to playing the festival this year.

Good, you're free to do that.

1st - The festival is repetitive, cloying and exhausting. (I didn't see anything new except a glove, miniatures and 3 (ugly) weapons that cost a lot zhaitaffy piece.

It's an annual festival, we already knew that before, not sure what else you expected that you complain about it being repetitive? (there are also new weapon skins, available from one of the festival npcs)

2nd - The daily piece zhaitaffy farm is scarce and boring, the festival forces the player to spend game money to get more zhaitaffy piece. They put absurdly priced items selling on NPCs in exchange for zhaitaffy pieces as if it were something very possible to buy. (How do you farm 100,000 zhaitaffy pieces to buy a wing?!)

You can buy zhaitaffy or grind them and complain it's "boring". This is mmorpg, again, what did you expect? That you'll log in and get the rewards thrown at you immediately so you can not log in for next 3 weeks? And you don't need any of those rewards, they're just cosmetics. Your choice.

3rd - Festivals, instead of forcing players to spend money, should facilitate the farm of money and the acquisition of items. And from what I saw at this festival, it forces the player to spend in-game money to get the items.

ah, so in the end it's just "gimme gimme". But you claim they should facilitate the farm of money, except above you complained about it being "boring and repetitive". Any "farm" in mmorpg is repetitive and boring. That's what farms are, so maybe first adjust your expectations to be more reasonable.

4th - Dragon arena = boring and boring. It was time to drop zhaitaffys from mini holographic monsters, but so far nothing. When I walk in there, I can barely stay a full round, it's so disheartening. (But now I don't even come in anymore, because I won't play this).

And you don't need to. What's EXACTLY the problem here?

5th - Holographic stampede = boring and boring. Item acquisition is very low and difficult to participate (if you manage to kill something in that, consider yourself lucky).

Again, don't like it? Don't do it. What's the problem here? (and it's not hard to participate, if you find it hard then it's just that -you)

My opinion regarding the structure and mechanics of the game.

Repeating "boring boring boring" over and over again is a rather weak feedback, just saying.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

These festivals remind me of a car boot sale were your surrounded by junk and pay £5 for a coffee and £10 for a sloppy hot dog.

I stay away from them but I don't begrudge anyone else who enjoys them.  Live and let live I say.  😄

I love this description lol. Hey they want you to have the full festival experience!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, QuirkyDM.2351 said:

2) You  can easily get 2 Jorbreakers per day with little effort, which is actually pretty good.

How do you get 2 Jorebreakers per day though? I've been playing for 3 days now and all i got was 1 joerbreaker and some taffy, most of which was spent on moa racing achievement... 😕

• Like 1

I just can't be bothered to play Dragonbash this year.

I'll slowly work my way to the new gloves just to unlock them and grab that annual 50 AP which is more enticing but outside of my daily log in I have no interest in playing Gw2.. I've just got no enthusiasm for the game at all right now and it's been this way since the IBS finale.

I doubt i'll have much enthusiasm for Gw2 until End of Dragons comes out.. or at the very least until they show off the expansion on July 27th.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

How do you get 2 Jorebreakers per day though? I've been playing for 3 days now and all i got was 1 joerbreaker and some taffy, most of which was spent on moa racing achievement... 😕

Opening dragon coffers (you can get 4-7 coffers from both pinata bashing and racing adventure each, 6+ from holo stampede depending on how many drops for you and mobs drop taffy there too, whatever daily/yearly achievements give you) as well as bashing 35 pinata (you can bash more but you only get 1 instead of 4-6 taffy like the first 35 daily)

You might be burning a lot of taffy for various achievements, but those are still technically taffy/joelbreaker you earned (you can buy joelbreaker with 1000 taffy)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RoflCat.9827 said:

Opening dragon coffers (you can get 4-7 coffers from both pinata bashing and racing adventure each, 6+ from holo stampede depending on how many drops for you and mobs drop taffy there too, whatever daily/yearly achievements give you) as well as bashing 35 pinata (you can bash more but you only get 1 instead of 4-6 taffy like the first 35 daily)

You might be burning a lot of taffy for various achievements, but those are still technically taffy/joelbreaker you earned (you can buy joelbreaker with 1000 taffy)

Yeah, but i opened 100 coffers, and only got 1 Jorebreaker...

This seems extremely random...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

It's easy to get 1 per day through pinatas, daily achievements and races. You get another one per day on average by making sure you do your dailies. After doing 3 dailies for 5 days, you get 5 Jorbreakers. And it's repeatable, so over the festival you can do this 4 times. (ie. 20 Jorbreakers)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Bash_Feats#Party_Commander

• Like 3

5 hours ago, QuirkyDM.2351 said:

It's easy to get 1 per day through pinatas, daily achievements and races. You get another one per day on average by making sure you do your dailies. After doing 3 dailies for 5 days, you get 5 Jorbreakers. And it's repeatable, so over the festival you can do this 4 times. (ie. 20 Jorbreakers)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Bash_Feats#Party_Commander

Ok... I'll try to optimise my farm. 🙂

But if you get the Jorebreakers from the  day chest, you don't get weapon skins... And weapon skins require Jorebreakers to buy the upgraded versions...

• Like 1

I actually really like Dragon Bash. It could be because it was the first festival I experienced in GW2 (except for a bit of the very first Festival of Four Winds years ago I think).

I  enjoy the mount race the most. I think the course is designed really well.

Everything else is pretty chill and I just smash some piñatas and spend a few minutes there every day doing the daily achievement and reading the often goofy map chat. I also sell coffers and make about 5 - 7 gold for a festival experience (not grinding) which is great for me since I rarely focus on building up my gold so it helps fill my wallet for the next few months. I also like that it brings me back to Hoelbrak since my main is norn. So, the festival brings a lot of nostalgia from my early days in GW2. I also like the holographic armor pieces, I'm interested to see how the complete set (hopefully?) will look. 

• Like 3

I like the festival. The only thing I noticed different this year, or at least I think is different, is that the background music is the normal "sad" music instead of the instrumental festival music. I would like the festive music to play all the time during the festival.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've been playing since 2013(for whatever reason the forum says nov 9 2017?) and this is my first dragon bash(I tend to always be hiatus for it) so my opinion is pretty fresh. Compared to the other festivals, from what I've seen for far it's pretty meh. I may not agree with all of OP's points but I definitely agree with the second and third. Baring the opinions of more elitist players who seem to think that it's ok and natural that a yearly thing is boring and repetitive, because it's an MMORPG, I forward the argument:

The Halloween event is amazing.

The money farm is great, you can generally get everything in one festival, and have tons more for the next festival. All of the content is a blast to do, all of it is very rewarding, and there is so much to do that none of it feels repetitive. Festivals should be special and held to a higher standard than normal content, they should be rewarding to both new and old players. It being an MMORPG is a sad, sorry excuse for it being just additional set of grind content. Especially if the expectation is that I'm going to play it enough to get the annual faff. As it stands right now, it just feels like an arbitrary gold & time sink if you want anything permanent from it.

Edited by Fan Didly Tastic.7169

Although I said I like this festival (I do), I would like to see a few things next year.

I want the Svanir to be

Spoiler

sulking, with dialog with stuff like, "Is Dragon really gone?" "Were we fooled?" "Look, it's the commander (snide undertones) etc.

If Anet could utilize phasing tech to only play the new dialog for accounts the finished IBS that could help new players stay spoiler-free. Also I'd like an additional event, random incursions from Svanir to attack festival goes (NPCs) and we have to break up the fight (similar to stuff in the Metal Legion concert in Grothmar).

Speaking of the Metal Legion, let's have them come and perform a Bash the Dragon metal style (and other new songs). They should be looking for new gigs aftercall... Include the Svanir attacks there. Just basically make a Dragon Bash special edition of the Grothmar metal concert (which is awesome). 

• Like 5

The first 5 days were fun, but then it became really really repetitive, like really repetitive!!! I farmed coffer in arena for a while but it was super boring and depends on luck whether you get good allies or take forever to kill 1 boss, even level 10 character can come join in and they deal less than 1000 damage XD 

They should have added major events for each week with limited achievements!!!