We NEED race change! [Merged]

If anything we need A new race to keep things interesting. Changing the race of an existing character I think could only be implemented under condition you replay the whole story from the beginning - most people wouldn’t go for it

2 hours ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

They could more easily tie race change to end of dragons and make it tied to story from there on out. It would be just like mounts or gliding, you can’t take it in previous stories, etc. Details on how this would happen, that would be up to Anet. Just throwing that out there that it’s not entitely impossible.

Remember how in this game you do not have to do story arcs in order?

People acting here like race change impossible because bla bla reason.

This is a computer game anet does not need to rewrite biological DNA lol

the truth is why no race change

it makes more money for anet if people create more alts.

Building up a new main char is a great income for anet simple as that. 

But don't worry, race change will come at some point

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

There really isn't anything for a player to counter another here about.  If you wouldn't use this service, it doesn't mean another player may not. This is just simply a profit / loss calculation for ANet to make. How much would it cost, how much do they think they could make. If one is greater than the other they have their answer. 

• Like 2

I wish. I've finally gotten to the point where I'm fed up playing male Sylvari because of how much s#(@ they add to the game that isn't scaled properly to his body type. Everything's made for humans only. But I have everything completed and unlocked on him and don't wanna spent time/money fixing up a new character.

Nah they just don't know what to do with the personal story aspect and don't want u being different race with another race's story. With how much FFXIV makes off Fantasia it would probably make more money than new characters do for them. I have friends who literally buy one every week.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Unsure if this has been suggested before, but maybe an easier way to give the cosmetic look of a different race (if not an actual base race change) would be to create five endless "race" combat tonics (i.e. Endless Norn Combat Tonic etc.).

If these could be coded to change your base race model but use existing armour this could work. (You would maybe have to make the tonic not work if any Racial armour was equipped to avoid any fitment issues.)

The downside would be that I think all characters using this would have to use the same default appearance set for the tonic, I don't see any easy way to customise the look of your "new" race without some additional way to link in some kind of makeover to the tonic, which sounds like a lot of additional work.

But hey, you would get a new racial look and animations, and if you are fully armoured the modal appearance may not actually matter.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 1:02 AM, Mortifera.6138 said:

People also said we didn't need mounts, until we got them.

Mounts added new movement options to gw2, meaning their addition to the game changed the way people play it. What I have read in regards to this "race change" feature seems to be revolving around cosmetics. Apart from that, you can already have the gameplay experience of playing the race&gender combination you want by making that character in an empty slot. In short: You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Edited by Katary.7096
fixing typos
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Katary.7096 said:

Mounts added new movement options to gw2, meaning their addition to the game changed the way people play it. What I have read in regards to this "race change" feature seems to be revolving around cosmetics. Apart from that, you can already have the gameplay experience of the playing the race&gender combination you want by making that character in an empty slot. In short: You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Not only that, but mounts are not tied to the character's personal story like races are.  So, yeah, apples/oranges.

• Like 2

Imagine if a feature of WoD would be having your own side-kick. You choose its race, profession, etc. Anytime out of battle you can swap to it and play as that race or profession. You can gear it up, fashion wars, etc. This could be a great way to implement race change, and it could have some kind of story element to make it work. They could of course add other elements to having a side-kick, like combo skills, etc, depending on your race/profession combination. Could make it interesting.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Imagine if a feature of WoD would be having your own side-kick. You choose its race, profession, etc. Anytime out of battle you can swap to it and play as that race or profession. You can gear it up, fashion wars, etc. This could be a great way to implement race change, and it could have some kind of story element to make it work. They could of course add other elements to having a side-kick, like combo skills, etc, depending on your race/profession combination. Could make it interesting.

What is this WoD you speak of?

You do know that white wolf world of darkness dident see the light of day right?

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2021 at 11:06 AM, Balsa.3951 said:

People acting here like race change impossible because bla bla reason.

This is a computer game anet does not need to rewrite biological DNA lol

No, but they'd have to re-write the game's code, something they just can't feasibly do.  If they could they would have by now, but don't let logic stop you from thinking that this is all some conspiracy to get people to buy alts slots when they could just charge the same for a race change.  Its been just shy of nine years, its just not going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just be happy the way you were born. Stop the self-hate.

Also, basically what Vallune said above.

Just put racial combat tonics in the gem store. Find a way where your armor/outfit appears as it would on the combat tonic with such a racial transformation. Do male/female for each race and charge 2000 gems for each one. Oh boy!!! Who cares if you are an imposter asura named Ragnar Olafson or whatever. Racial armor will probably be off limits, but if you really want to be another race just "reincarnate" as one and learn the culture of your people from the very start.

No need to go rewrite the personal story and anything actually in your journal.

Edited by firedragon.8953

24 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

No, but they'd have to re-write the game's code, something they just can't feasibly do.  If they could they would have by now, but don't let logic stop you from thinking that this is all some conspiracy to get people to buy alts slots when they could just charge the same for a race change.  Its been just shy of nine years, its just not going to happen.

ur knowledge is based on ur many years as developer at anet //// LOGIC 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Over the years I have made and deleted characters to the point I now only make or have humans and plants.  Even though I find the Chars personal story the best, I can't stand playing a Char.  The gnomes I won't go near, gear is wasted on them.  What you basically have with the gnome is a hat running around on the ground.  Why would you bother?

• Confused 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, Tuen.5641 said:

Seriously. We need to get race change as an option in the gem store.

I’m constantly creating new alts because I get tired of races looks and animations. So I’ve got multiples of all the classes I play… And I’m not alone. 

I know Anet has said it’s “impossible” because of personal story tied to the characters races. But that seems shallow to me. We’ve got the identity repair kit that lets you change a lot about your character, why is not a race change possible? Is it really just laziness and excuses or did I miss something crucial here? 

Would think it would be a great way for the company to make some extra money too, or do they simple make more by not offering it - forcing players to keep buying character slots, investing in new characters? I dunno, but every other MMO seems to be able to offer it. 

i dont understand your problem if you have multiple characters simply have each of them be a different race if you have 5 characters you have all races. 

Edited by MarkoGold.7126

i have been using SQL for the past 15 years, from technical perspective, no, not hard, all Anet have to do is reset the core story progression back to 0

but as a player, i dont understand op too, just chuck that toon aside as a storage toon if you become so bored with it

character slot = 800 gems, name change contract = 800 gems, so I would say a 2000 gem Race change contract would be the right price

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crepuscular.9047 said:

i have been using SQL for the past 15 years, from technical perspective, no, not hard, all Anet have to do is reset the core story progression back to 0

First, no, not just personal story. There are callbacks to your race later as well. There are also some callbacks not to your race, but to specific events from personal story as well. If those were used, and you later went and reset it (and possibly made a different choice with the second try...)

Second. No, they are not using SQL. They are using some sort of proprietary blob database, that is apparently quite hard to work with. That's why they for example can't easily remove unlocks (skins, titles etc) from your character. As an interesting, and very relevant fact, according to what we heard, support cannot reset story progress on characters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So many people seem to know how Anet built GW2 and the ease with which their individual desires could be implemented at little to no cost.  🙄

So many also seem to know how to run a business for profit when, no, they actually don't.

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

My knowledge is based on what Arenanet themselves have said about the difficulties in changing anything related to the Personal Story's coding.  Are you going to call them liars?

Same people who said sitting on chairs is a huge issue or couldn't do capes for years and now shower us with that ? 

Ever went to Fractals Battleground or Forge steel strike mission ? Looks pretty easy how my human becomes a Charr as well Asura if u go the other frac. 

Race change is not a big issue sorry there is no bio genetic DNA involved. 

I have been transformed many times into different race and shapes for missions, believing that anet cant implement that permanent makes no sense. 

ps if ur knowledge is based what ppl tell u instead of critical thinking and observation... u know 

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Same people who said sitting on chairs is a huge issue or couldn't do capes for years and now shower us with that ? 

Ever went to Fractals Battleground or Forge steel strike mission ? Looks pretty easy how my human becomes a Charr as well Asura if u go the other frac. 

Race change is not a big issue sorry there is no bio genetic DNA involved. 

I have been transformed many times into different race and shapes for missions, believing that anet cant implement that permanent makes no sense. 

ps if ur knowledge is based what ppl tell u instead of critical thinking and observation... u know 

yes, chairs and capes were a big problem. They discussed at one time the difficulties of adding chairs. It wasn’t an impossible problem. It was a matter of whether or not it was worth spending the dev time to add. Capes were a different matter. They did want to add them and they said at one time they had devs working on them as a side project but it took literal years before they solved the problems and added capes to the game.  

as for the “race transformations” you mention, those are more like outfits or combat tonics. Temporary cosmetic changes that you can not customize. Change by Combat Tonic where you get a superficial cosmetic change that can’t be customized isn’t the same fully customizable race change. It’s like wearing an outfit that can’t be mixed and matched over your armor. 

and as a side comment. It took literal years to add chairs and capes to the game. Those are far simpler changes than a race change and don’t involve changing things fundamental to your character. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

yes, chairs and capes were a big problem. They discussed at one time the difficulties of adding chairs. It wasn’t an impossible problem. It was a matter of whether or not it was worth spending the dev time to add. Capes were a different matter. They did want to add them and they said at one time they had devs working on them as a side project but it took literal years before they solved the problems and added capes to the game.  

as for the “race transformations” you mention, those are more like outfits or combat tonics. Temporary cosmetic changes that you can not customize. Change by Combat Tonic where you get a superficial cosmetic change that can’t be customized isn’t the same fully customizable race change. It’s like wearing an outfit that can’t be mixed and matched over your armor. 

and as a side comment. It took literal years to add chairs and capes to the game. Those are far simpler changes than a race change and don’t involve changing things fundamental to your character. 

anet needing years to do something is no implication of how hard it was to do...

Also, what's the difference between race and gender change ? (technical view) what even is a different race what makes it so hard to change in ur mind? 

Beside cutting loose from ps I see no issue in the cosmetics but u can let me know.

The game is full of examples where we switch gender, race with no issue.

But if u want to believe anet words fine makes u a better customer than I am 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

anet needing years to do something is no implication of how hard it was to do...

Also, what's the difference between race and gender change ? (technical view) what even is a different race what makes it so hard to change in ur mind? 

Beside cutting loose from ps I see no issue in the cosmetics but u can let me know.

The game is full of examples where we switch gender, race with no issue.

But if u want to believe anet words fine makes u a better customer than I am 

ANet saying that something is difficult and taking years to do it in spite of saying they would like to add it is most definitely an indication that it is hard to do.

the difference between race change and sex change? One involves a change to the personal story, your home instance and what racial armor you can wear and the other does not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1