Is this the new Mesmer Elite Spec? ( From the Studio Update)

DanAlcedo.3281

Honestly wish mesmer has some decent AoE other than mantras so it could be different from the usual duelist role, but looks like going to be hard with dagger even if they made dagger as midrange weapon. Traitline wise definitely should have a power oriented line and hopefully a line that focus on boon strips, which used to be mesmer's unique until it becomes so ubiquitous.

Well for those interested, they're going to stream new elite specs/story/content on 27/7/21 assuming nothing messed it up

25 minutes ago, NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:

Honestly wish mesmer has some decent AoE other than mantras so it could be different from the usual duelist role, but looks like going to be hard with dagger even if they made dagger as midrange weapon. Traitline wise definitely should have a power oriented line and hopefully a line that focus on boon strips, which used to be mesmer's unique until it becomes so ubiquitous.

Well for those interested, they're going to stream new elite specs/story/content on 27/7/21 assuming nothing messed it up

You guys getting Spirit Weapon utilities 

😂😁

• Haha 4

Wild speculation, but I wonder if the daggers above the head may be quite literal, with some kind of charge-like mechanic similar to that used for Enchanted Daggers or the elementalist sceptre skill Stone Shards.

If the spec is based around an idea of illusionary weaponry, then Spirit Weapon utilities could be right.  I could also see Anet wanting to expand this away from just Guardian, as the Spirit Weapon skills would provide an opportunity for some fancy graphics, and it's certainly not a heavily used skill type.  Frankly, I'd be fine with that, and interested to see how they implement it.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine this will be a mid-range power spec.  I doubt it'll have great AoE - partly because it seems (to me at least) against theme for daggers and also because greatsword already partly covers that (kind of).  If so, I'd expect one of the skills to be something like Splitblade IMO (but for power rather than condi)

As an aside, this may make more sense of the decision to add alacrity/might to mirage, if this spec will be low on support.  My reasoning is that, if they hadn't and this spec is low on support, that would have left only chrono with notable group support.  So, giving some support to mirage would mean that at least 2 mes elite specs would have some support options.  All supposition on my part of course...

• Like 2

It is not a dagger, it looks like spear even though mesmer already has a spear as underwater weapon. Blade seems too long for a dagger and at right shoulder you can see what looks like a decorated end of a Chinese looking spear. Issue is class also just got a main hand in PoF meaning traditionally it should get a 2h weapon now (got offhand in HoT) but it could also be double daggers like warrior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, McPero.3287 said:

It is not a dagger, it looks like spear even though mesmer already has a spear as underwater weapon. Blade seems too long for a dagger and at right shoulder you can see what looks like a decorated end of a Chinese looking spear. Issue is class also just got a main hand in PoF meaning traditionally it should get a 2h weapon now (got offhand in HoT) but it could also be double daggers like warrior.

In his video about this Anet post, Mukluk also thought it looked like a spear. To me, it could be a spear or greatsword.

New elite specs don't necessarily require new weapons, they just require new combat themes and skills/traits. So, this could just be a greatsword with different weapon skills from the new elite.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

In his video about this Anet post, Mukluk also thought it looked like a spear. To me, it could be a spear or greatsword.

New elite specs don't necessarily require new weapons, they just require new combat themes and skills/traits. So, this could just be a greatsword with different weapon skills from the new elite.

Well every elite spec so far has gotten a new weapon so it's expected same will happen i bet many people will be disappointed if it doesn't. But yeah looking at it again it could also be that other hand is pointing something at us which could be dagger. Double daggers seem more logical then spear even if spear kinda fits better. 

• Like 1

I do believe this is the next mesmer specialization we are looking at.

Spear or dagger, hard to tell. Tbh, the main reasoning against spear is the unprecedented adaption of underwater weapons to land weapons to this day, otherwise I'd also say it looks like a spear, mostly because that is a weird way to hold a dagger (unless double sided dagger).

The dagger or spear tip icons at the top also can be either not giving away what type of weapon it might be. I do believe we might be looking at some kind of combo point system as mentioned by Jijimuge.4675. I mean we are already there with clones. The step away from actually having clones out after the phantasm disappears is not far.

Here is my thought process: we lose access to clones but instead receive an increase in combo points from 3 to 5 (depicted by the 5 dagger/spear shaped icons at the top). Accompanied by a set of new utility skills to facilitate this role as well as stronger F1-4 skills thanks to far more scaling possibility.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

The weapon honestly look like a spear.

The armor piece seem to be a pauldron.

2 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Here is my thought process: we lose access to clones but instead receive an increase in combo points from 3 to 5 (depicted by the 5 dagger/spear shaped icons at the top). Accompanied by a set of new utility skills to facilitate this role.

I don't know for the utilities but, yes, It look like the clones might be replaced by "mindblades" and that the count could go up to 5 of them.

• Like 1

One consideration in favour of spears is that, so far, all of the terrestrial spear-like weapons in GW2 have been 2-handed staff weapons;  the "spears" in GW used by paragons were 1 handed thrown weapons more akin to javelins.  There are already some "javelin" type animations in the game with the "loyalist paragons" etc from Istan and the image does look rather like a spear being held 1-handed in the main hand.

Adding a new weapon type would involve adding additional art to the game, which may be quite labour-intensive relative to adding daggers to mesmer, although they could perhaps "cheat" some art in by simply scaling the models for the current spear-like staves to work as javelin-type weapons to fill out the visual options?

That does leave open the question of what the off hand is doing.  It doesn't look like it's gripping the haft of a spear, but instead looks (from the raised shoulder position and slightly tilted upper body) like the person is pointing towards the viewer, but whether that's with a weapon or an empty hand I can't tell.

Frankly, both daggers or spear/javelin would be good, though I presume a 1-hand spear would end up being main-hand only?

Edited by Jijimuge.4675
Paragraph spacing

4 hours ago, phokus.8934 said:

One-handed weapon, presumably a dagger while the left hand is holding another weapon.  That debunks the spear theory.

I think the other hand may be exposing its palm forward in a sort of magical gesture. So that does not eliminate the spear possibility imho

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

I think the other hand may be exposing its palm forward in a sort of magical gesture. So that does not eliminate the spear possibility imho

Except the lining of the weapon and the left shoulder does not line up.

• Like 1

I agree with those saying it looks like a spear - which would be awesome if they've adapted spear for land.

But equally it could be dagger, or even a Revenant spec (the pink is quite misty also).

Can't wait to find out, seriously hope for anything else than the rumour mill warhorn spec.

• Like 1

Too many mind games. You are under the influence of a spell of the Mists and you see what it is not. It is pink, not purple. The color pink is chosen this time and probably related to its new powers of the Mists.  

So forget that you are imagining. Your mind is clouded and the illusion of the spell makes you see a fictional reality. Behind him/her there is only a charr from the Mists with an outfit and a cured sausage in his/her right hand; crying from laughing so hard to watch the bizarre comments you write under the influence of his/her spell. Some have too much imagination when the reality is so obvious. 

👾👀

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Haha 2

Probably, and I expect it to be overpowered as hell. Get ready for months of nerf cries in 2022. From our own community, no less.

Edit: If it's anything like Dr. Strange from Marvel Heroes Online, I know what spec I'm playing! 😀

Here's the context for those confused. You and your clones spam 'Daggers of Daveroth' to nuke everything into oblivion. Warning! There's some colorful language in the video below.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590
  • Sad 1

On 7/2/2021 at 11:36 PM, AXLIB.8425 said:

I really wish that is not a just main hand close range dagger, since another expansion without 5 new weapon skills would suck so much, and we already have close range power weapon and condi weapon (I'm counting mirage axe). I still wish for a music spec for mesmer that can actually heal others. And I think there might still be a chance for that just because that picture is too pink to be mesmer purple, cool colour though.

The weapon doesn't really matter and rarely has done. What matters is the new mechanic and traits and how those entwine with our current kit tbh 

Imho I'm thankful it isn't a support specc. Like all mesmers do in PvE is support. 

Tank chrono

Quickness chrono

Alacrity mirage.

I beleive we do in fact have a healing build also

Also by how she holds the dagger would indicate that's a throwing dagger, not a melee dagger. Front facing isn't the standard weapon pose of melee dagger. 

So id predict a pistol ranged throwing weapon. 

If this Elite doesn't use clones or shatters it will be far more hype then any weapon.

Although it is slightly annoying that we are going from mainhand axe to mainhand Dagger. Unless it is a awkwardly held spear like more far fetched ideas say it is. 

Part of me hopes this is a spear. But I mainly do know it's defintly not spear. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Not really anything else it CAN be, though.

Greatsword literally shoots laser beams and has a ranged aoe instant damage ability 

it actually can be anything

unless you meant "it's definitely a dagger", and not "it's definitely a close ranged melee cleave"

in which case, my bad

19 hours ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Mesmer is a duelist class and should stay as is to its intent not some support music class.

then why did they launch with mantras that affected allies?

inspiration is literally inspiring allies 

e-specs were supposed to add something new

yet all the e-specs so far have been dueling specs

the core of the class mechanic already quite literally SCREAMS that super loudly

every single thing about them is "target enemy" requiring a clone

chrono should have been the support spec, and they failed miserably at that by making it too strong, then butchering it and pigeonholing it into a certain specific type of "support" that is just a shell of what could have been with actual thought processes behind the balancing design decisions 

again, music theme and mesmer already has history and lore to back it up

i'm not saying 100% it should or could be, but it makes no sense to play the snowflake card and not want what other people theorize just because it's gotten traction from, again, both the history of the class, the history of the game (april fools bard pre-launch), and the lore of the game itself

15 hours ago, McPero.3287 said:

Blade seems too long for a dagger and at right shoulder you can see what looks like a decorated end of a Chinese looking spear.

daggers can look pretty ridiculously large in this game 

also, where her other arm at then if that's just the end of the spear

i just assumed that they were crudely drawn fingers, and she had her hand pointed outward 

it COULD be, not 100% disagreeing, it's just, it looks more like a dagger, then sorta pointing with the other hand

1 hour ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Like all mesmers do in PvE is support. 

that's a problem with pve, not mesmer, and chrono as a whole, and the uneducated out-of-no-where buff to staff mirage

the problems mesmer has in pve can be alleviated through fixing the class 

what mesmer needs is a pvp group utility spec, ever since they trashed glamours, and even before then

in pvp, you can't fix the core of it without removing clones/shatters

the way they work in pvp, the devs are too afraid or too unwilling to change things to work around them, because they're going to be way too overwhelming in small-scale fighting no matter what you do to them

but in pve.... i mean, literally anything works, so that's easily fixed with tweaks

Edited by Alpha.1308
  • Like 2