I rarely wvw (and don't pvp if i can help it) so when i do pop in for dailies/GoB etc i know that all friendly characters are from my server. I'm not in a wvw guild and am curious as to how alliances will affect my wvw experience; will i be hostile to everyone? What i believe alliances will be is that guilds on different servers will be allowed to see each other as 'friends' in wvw, instead of using the server system. What am i missing?

Alliances are formed out of multiple guilds until they reach a certain size, then pitted against other alliances of similar size.  They completely replace servers in terms of WvW matchmaking.  Every player will designate one of their guilds as their WvW guild and that one will decide which alliance they are placed in.

The idea is that it's easier for Anet to create even matches if they have finer control over how many people are in each match.

As for how it will change for you...I don't think it'll be noticeably different.  You'll be placed in the alliance of your WvW guild or in a random alliance if you don't have a WvW guild (where you will stay for the rest of the match-up).  When you load in, you'll still have allies and enemies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)

TL;DR alliances are basicly up to 500 man "player created worlds" (as proposed by the devs, groups of smaller guilds or a few larger) that is combined together with unguilded players (the random masses) to form the ~2000+ man actual worlds that are then pitted against other similar worlds. 

This increased resolution allow far better balancing than just smashing two monolithic worlds together like the link system.

From a player perspective, little would change - your "world" will either be an alliance you fight for or you'll end up on a random world every reshuffle. It hands over more control to players.

Some will argue BuhBuhBuhSeRverPrIdE!!! and how you NEED to play together but that's really irrelevant and an acceptable loss for the greater good. I highly doubt most people could even list 50 "friends" that all give a rats kitten about them too.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, Funky.4861 said:

I rarely wvw (and don't pvp if i can help it) so when i do pop in for dailies/GoB etc i know that all friendly characters are from my server. I'm not in a wvw guild and am curious as to how alliances will affect my wvw experience; will i be hostile to everyone? What i believe alliances will be is that guilds on different servers will be allowed to see each other as 'friends' in wvw, instead of using the server system. What am i missing?

Seeing as you already don't know that all "friendlies" are already not from your server, you won't notice anything. The people you see online are already a mix of at least two servers, the host and the link. Next time you get on, bring up the matchup menu, and hover your mouse over the server names in the matchup, it will show "host server name" + "link server name", and this can be more than one link server as well. And you could very well be facing those same players next relink if they get linked to a different server.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2021 at 4:03 AM, Funky.4861 said:

Alliance system is like the mega server system, it will happen once every two months, not every time you enter a map like in pve.

Alliance system recreates worlds that last for two months, megaserver system creates map instances that last till empty.

You will assign a guild as your primary wvw guild, if you don't have one you will be randomly placed in the worlds at creation.

Single guilds, or alliances of multiple guilds, will have their assigned players all sorted into the same worlds.

Multiple guilds you are friends with could be enemies in two months if not in alliances, no different than how guilds being on linked servers today could be your enemy on the next relink.

Wvw will function and play the same, you can still switch guild tags and whatever, you will be on that world for two months unless you transfer. The alliance system just replaces the relink system every two months, that's it.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1

Thank you for your replies, all. I knew about linking so i knew that a fraction of 'friendlies' were from the other server. I like the weekly reset as it mixes maps up a bit- how was the two-month duration decided? It seems like a long time to me.

What happens if i'm in guilds which are in opposing alliances? Will i get to choose (by representing) every time i enter or will it be set from the first time? An ultra-unlikely scenario for me, but maybe not for others.

So how will this work out for smaller guilds or solo players ? Are they forced to join a big guild ? If so it would just push scouts and roamers and solo players out of wvw.

Edited by Caedmon.6798
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

So how will this work out for smaller guilds or solo players ? Are they forced to join a big guild ? If so it would just push scouts and roamers and solo players out of wvw.

You won't have to join specific guilds. You will be placed in a world if in a small guild or even solo and unguilded.

If you want to stay in the same world as your guild/friends at the creation of worlds every two months, then your members will all have to assign the same guild as each other. Alliance system is only for creating the worlds, like linking does, every two months, then wvw functions the same.

What most likely will happen (not confirmed but logically) at creation they will sort first all the alliances of guilds into their own separate worlds(so obviously you don't put the two biggest alliances together), from biggest to smallest, then they will sort solo guilds into the worlds, probably assigning the biggest solo guilds first to the smallest alliance worlds first, then after solo players to fill the gaps, in the end trying to keep the population totals balanced as possible during this process which is suppose to be automated.

They haven't stated what happens to new accounts, whether they get paired with guilds right away or assigned a random world the first time they enter wvw, but we may get more details on the entire system next month.

Bottom line is, no one will be shut out, and the system will make it easier to stay together with guilds and friends without having to  pay to transfer or waiting for full worlds to open up.

4 hours ago, Funky.4861 said:

Thank you for your replies, all. I knew about linking so i knew that a fraction of 'friendlies' were from the other server. I like the weekly reset as it mixes maps up a bit- how was the two-month duration decided? It seems like a long time to me.

What happens if i'm in guilds which are in opposing alliances? Will i get to choose (by representing) every time i enter or will it be set from the first time? An ultra-unlikely scenario for me, but maybe not for others.

Two months was decided years ago with a poll for players on how long they wanted relinks to last, 1 and 3 months got most of the votes, so they decided on two months to compromise.

You will pick "one guild" to represent in wvw, when the world is created you will go wherever that guild is assigned. While playing in wvw you can still use whatever guild tags you want as you do right now, the wvw guild assignment is only for when creating the worlds every two months.

You can be in guilds in opposing alliances, but you would only get assigned to the world of the alliance you picked your wvw guild. Alliance sorting only takes affect at the time of world creations, not every time you enter wvw.

Ok this seems the right thread for my questions:

1) With alliances the servers won't matter anymore, like in PvE? More specifically, nowadays people tend to migrate to the most active WvW servers which are always full and expensive to migrate after the first free time. Will the monthly guild scramble be totally random between servers (besides the NA/EU difference), or will guilds in the same server be more likely to be paired together?

2) If I'm in two different guilds and they are in different factions, will switching guild representation in PvE affect my WvW faction? Or will my rep auto-change to the chosen WvW guild as soon as I enter the map, even if in PvE I'm repping the other guild?

14 minutes ago, Boh.4568 said:

Ok this seems the right thread for my questions:

1) With alliances the servers won't matter anymore, like in PvE? More specifically, nowadays people tend to migrate to the most active WvW servers which are always full and expensive to migrate after the first free time. Will the monthly guild scramble be totally random between servers (besides the NA/EU difference), or will guilds in the same server be more likely to be paired together?

2) If I'm in two different guilds and they are in different factions, will switching guild representation in PvE affect my WvW faction? Or will my rep auto-change to the chosen WvW guild as soon as I enter the map, even if in PvE I'm repping the other guild?

1) Servers that exist currently Will functionally disappear.  Alliances essentially creates new Worlds (old term ‘servers’) every 8ish weeks.  Hopefully it won’t be fully random but that part we don’t really know yet.

2) Likely there will be some sort of ‘check box’ in your UI probably in the guild panel that will have you select a ‘WvW guild’. This will only be for assignment to a world for the ‘assignment phase’.  After Worlds have been created, it won’t matter which guild you rep.

for example:  I run mostly with a Havoc guild.  But if I want to Zerg, I run a different tag.  Once that world is created, which guild you represent in WvW won’t matter.  

Your PvE guild won’t matter.  The world creation doesn’t change each time you enter WvW.  It only changes every 8 weeks.  It should be a relatively set schedule.

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

2) Likely there will be some sort of ‘check box’ in your UI probably in the guild panel that will have you select a ‘WvW guild’. This will only be for assignment to a world for the ‘assignment phase’.  After Worlds have been created, it won’t matter which guild you rep.

for example:  I run mostly with a Havoc guild.  But if I want to Zerg, I run a different tag.  Once that world is created, which guild you represent in WvW won’t matter.  

Wouldnt matter if the world is created since guild rep is separate from WvW guild selection regardless of worlds existing. WvW will either be shutdown for probably a week when its launching, or you select your WvW guild while in an "old world" matchup and the alliance system goes online some resets later (could even be months to get all the players to create alliances and select WvW guilds). What you rep in the meantime is irrelevant.

Well unless Anet want to have some fun and create chaos for 8 weeks by launching everything at once so all players are on random worlds, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Please remember we are all working on really outdated information so the above is valid but be on the watch for updated information. It's hard to tell what direction things went after the stated update years ago.  Aka our mileage will vary and ANet has already given the yellow flashing lights by saying it will be a work in progress with adjustments as they go on actual coding and with feedback.  We can all hope they will be providing a more updated blog with additional details at some point since they would hopefully give people some time to understand how to setup and start to group up Alliances so guilds can start to link up. Translation don't go making any rash decisions on your guild associations until more information is provided and don't be worried you won't be able to participate in WvW, you will be. Good hunting!

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Snip - 8<

We can all hope they will be providing a more updated blog with additional details at some point...

Snip - 8<

I'd call this a Road Map that has permanent chapters that's updated based on community feedback.

A Road Map is used to guide the game mode in the present time & into the future.

Without a good Road Map...it's hard for the community to find answers on something that should already have permanent chapters posted on, or a place to coordinate getting answers.

Example Road Map:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89449/wvg-world-vs-globes/p1

Yours truly,
Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

Edited by Diku.2546
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, if one guild I represent is in one alliance, and another guild I represent is not in that one, but a different one with different guilds, do I get to play 2 different matchups based on which guild i represent at the moment or will I be stuck in one particular matchup without being able to help my other guild?

Or is it even possible that my 2 guilds will be on the opposite sides in a match up and I'll have to choose which guild I help and go against my other guild?

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

So, if one guild I represent is in one alliance, and another guild I represent is not in that one, but a different one with different guilds, do I get to play 2 different matchups based on which guild i represent at the moment or will I be stuck in one particular matchup without being able to help my other guild?

Or is it even possible that my 2 guilds will be on the opposite sides in a match up and I'll have to choose which guild I help and go against my other guild?

You pick one guild to be your "wvw match-making guild". This guild is the only guild that determine where you go and with whom.

So if you're in Guild A and B, and you pick A as your "wvw guild", you're placed in Server 1 with guild A. 

You can then end up fighting against Server 2 with Guild B. Through normal match-up movement.

You can change which "wvw guild" you have in this period, but it will not take any effect until the next "great server shuffle", where you would then be placed with whatever "wvw guild" you picked. Example Guild B, if you wanted to alternate between them for example.

(This was how it was explained back in the original thread, we have no idea if they've changed some stuff around or not:) 

• Like 1

Anet gave a pretty ok description of how it would work a few years back.  Yes, it will be possible for multiple 500 person guilds to ally with each other, and stack a world.  It's the same system used in PvE where when you map to say, Lion's Arch, you are still likely to end up with guildies and friends than randoms.  The system is designed to group players that way.

The system will be exploited to stack multiple blob guilds/tags on a single world, so they can still ktrain everything.

• Like 1

Player in the guilds:

Guild1=Toxic

Guild2=Rage(Alliance of Dump)

Guild3=Boon

Guild4=Ball(Alliance of Cats)

Guild5=Salt

Player chooses Guild4=Ball, as their main wvw guild.

At world creation, alliance and guilds sorted as an example:

World1: Guild2=Rage (Alliance of Dump), Guild3=Boon

World2: Guild4=Ball (Alliance of Cats) <- You are here with the guildmates that chose Ball as their wvw guild, and everyone else in the Alliance of Cats.

World3: Guild1=Toxic, Guild5=Salt

You would play only on World2 for the two months. You will not be with anyone of the four other guilds in world2 unless they didn't pick any of them as their main wvw guild, and got randomly placed in your world at creation. Or they transferred after.

You can still represent any of your guilds as you do right now in wvw. You can change which guild you want to be your main wvw guild and on the next recreation you will be assigned with that guild in their world.

1 hour ago, Ubi.4136 said:

Anet gave a pretty ok description of how it would work a few years back.  Yes, it will be possible for multiple 500 person guilds to ally with each other, and stack a world.  It's the same system used in PvE where when you map to say, Lion's Arch, you are still likely to end up with guildies and friends than randoms.  The system is designed to group players that way.

The system will be exploited to stack multiple blob guilds/tags on a single world, so they can still ktrain everything.

They said the same alliance cap, so no it would not be possible. A 500 man guild would be a max cap alliance. But even Anet wasnt sure about that. It makes sense though. A 500 man guild doesnt need an alliance.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1

In short:

- server communities that developed over many years will be dispelled

- mass transfers after relink will be replaced by alliance stacking

-> organized high-activity alliances will dominate over the now unorganized ppl

-> alliances whose guilds are spread across daytime will dominate matches

-> alliances that stack at a specific daytime will dominate that daytime

-> most alliances will operate seperately from the rest of their (non-existing) server communitiy

(private voice chat, private raids etc.)

enjoy! 🤪

21 minutes ago, enkidu.5937 said:

In short:

-> most alliances will operate seperately from the rest of their (non-existing) server communitiy

enjoy! 🤪

All points which are completely irrelevant. Guilds already dominate unorganized randoms, coverage is already what win matchups, guilds already stack specific times and servers already use discord to separate themselves from randoms.

Alliances is not intended to solve any of that, just Anet being able to better spread out the population so that worlds are more even, not to mention the particular pro of dynamic number of worlds and thus matchups, instead of fixed (or stacking monolithic links further).

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, enkidu.5937 said:

In short:

enjoy! 🤪

Er.. that's all already been happening since the beginning.... 😑

Not much will change for a casual seldom WvW player. You will be able to play WvW as before. The people around you may be changing more rapidly but that will not be a big issue. There will always be nice and not so nice people around. However, if you have a friend or two who you enjoy playing with, this can become tricky.