Next Espec Weapon

Ya Ya Yeah.7381

Just for fun, what do you think it will be? I'm guessing it'll be long range either hammer or longbow because reaper got greatsword (melee) first time and torch (mid range) second time around. It makes sense that it would be long range this time. On a serious note, I have no idea and could be a pool cue for that matter 🙂

Just for fun, yeah, I think it's likely that necro will get a long range single target option (probably power as scourge seems to cover condi so well, even if more mid range).  Both ele and necro have a "vacancy" for a long range single target power weapon, and rifle or longbow are the most obvious weapons to cover this.

To my mind, necro staff is more area denial and support.  Ele seems more "technological" than necro IMO, so I'd go for Necro getting longbow and Ele getting rifle.

I'm probably wrong, but I'll be interested to see what Anet have come up with!

(and yes, like you, I'm sadly ruling out 2-handed pool cue and main hand feather duster)

Edited by Jijimuge.4675
typo
  • Like 1

Evil looking land spear, or evil looking great axe would be great and unexpected by most, even a main hand sword be cool, also as a shake up to the game in general allow light armor to transmute to heavy armor. I mean with all the clipping that's been in the game and will be forever a few inconsistencies regarding the transmuted armor and character models would be worth the option being available.

Make my reaper - death knights fashion much easier.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Like 1

I am hoping for a boon focused support spec that uses a hammer or mace. I quite enjoy support scourge but the pug mentality means I rarely get to play it so would love a support spec that i can consistently bring into pugs.

I would also accept a shield because I feel like they don't get used much in pve but I think a main/two handed weapon is in order for the next spec since off hand was the latest one.

Edit: A boon sharing build is also really the only thing necro needs since it already has powr dps as reaper, condi dps as scourge and the hard carry barrier scourge so a spec that provides boons and can be used in place of existing support specs

Edited by The Delightful Dane.3846
added more text

Sword/Sword oni hunter in my book but land spear (1H hybrid damage) or land trident (1200 range hybrid dps). 

Necro needs better MH/OH power melee damage, but it also needs better long range damage. Staff is more support/utility than DPS.

Hmmm... if Dagger/Dagger were reworked to be competent DPS then land Trident with a 1200 range DPS bar would be awesome. 

Im pretty confident necromancers wont get shield, we already have far too many offhands. And our mainhand choices is fairly poor.

But something I would love to see is Pistol/Pistol together with a rework of the dagger skills to support a bleeding oriented build to stack it fast and manipulate it for effects.  I could imagine higher damage skills that only could activated at high numbers of bleeding stacks, which could help with necromancer damage in group content, as youd be able to rely much more on high numbers of bleeding being present.

5 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Im pretty confident necromancers wont get shield, we already have far too many offhands. And our mainhand choices is fairly poor.

I don't think the necromancer will get shield either but the necromancer depend on it's main mechanism to be effective not on it's weapons, it mean that it doesn't matter wether or not the weapons are "poor". All that matter is how well the weapon fit the theme of the e-spec.

If, for whatever reason, Anet were to make an e-spec that revolve around the image of the Mantid or Drinker for the necromancer, I wouldn't be surprised to see it featuring an axe of hand in an attempt to mimic the model of the spec.

If Anet imagine an order of kurzik necromancer/ranger who evolved by handling rot wallow, bows or riffle wouldn't be a bad option thematically.

Even shield is an option if ANet take the celestial turtle Kuonghsang as a model to the necromancer's next e-spec.

NB.: That said, I doubt the necromancer will get 2 one handed weapons like P/P.

NB².: I'd like the necromancer to get land trident personally... Thought, if ANet give us again the creepy overused dark hand projectile, I won't be happy.

5 minutes ago, KrHome.1920 said:

The more I think about it the more I fear we get longbow and another shroud less spec.

I'd be okay with lb, as long as its effective. A greatsword/lb kit would be fun. In a dream world where anet decided to shake things up and allow the newest spec to use all other espec weapons, add a heavier armor look to the new espec and u got a cool new espec in my books.

Honestly the spec is so diverse as it is I'm not certain what it'll be.

If I had to guess, it'll be a bow with spirit skills as some kind of Kami.  Fits the theme of EoD a bit and rather than being reliant on shroud for damage, it'll probably probably be replaced with something like a Mist Form (turning into a spirit or something) with a few basic skills with a very high degen rate.

If they design with WvW in mind I can't see them giving necro a longbow unless the kit is entirely based on single target projectile damage.  Longbow and wells/corrupts is a LOT of ranged threats, so it's possible shortbow is more likely.

Edited by DeceiverX.8361

4 minutes ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Honestly the spec is so diverse as it is I'm not certain what it'll be.

If I had to guess, it'll be a bow with spirit skills as some kind of Kami.  Fits the theme of EoD a bit and rather than being reliant on shroud for damage, it'll probably probably be replaced with something like a Mist Form (turning into a spirit or something) with a few basic skills with a very high degen rate.

If they design with WvW in mind I can't see them giving necro a longbow unless the kit is entirely based on single target projectile damage.  Longbow and wells/corrupts is a LOT of ranged threats, so it's possible shortbow is more likely.

Well, it's not like the necromancer would gain anything in having yet another option in WvW. It's solid in this gamemode, it was already solid at release of the game in this gamemode.

Personally I'm ready to bet on an AI dependant e-spec. Objectively it wouldn't hurt the necromancer at this point and nothing fit the necromancer's thematic more than summoning minions (It's not like it would be a powercreep since the necromancer can already fill it's utility bar with minions and have more than 10 minions following him. Any minions they would add would just be another drop into the ocean).

Just now, Dadnir.5038 said:

Well, it's not like the necromancer would gain anything in having yet another option in WvW. It's solid in this gamemode, it was already solid at release of the game in this gamemode.

Personally I'm ready to bet on an AI dependant e-spec. Objectively it wouldn't hurt the necromancer at this point and nothing fit the necromancer's thematic more than summoning minions (It's not like it would be a powercreep since the necromancer can already fill it's utility bar with minions and have more than 10 minions following him. Any minions they would add would just be another drop into the ocean).

That's more or less my point though; they really shouldn't be trying to pull yet another Scourge where it breaks the game mode due to its safety and amazing group-punishing abilities.  There's no reason for them to just say screw it and exacerbate the necro's stranglehold as ranged DPS in the format.  A single-target midrange skirmisher is really atypical for the current capabilities of the class.  Again, that's only assuming they cared to do that lol.

Generally they've tried to avoid duplicating what already exists on the specs so I don't think they'll do more AI.  Minions, micromanagement on shades... I'd expect some more fire-and-forget stuff but that's just my take.  Either way, it's all speculation.

3 hours ago, Nawrotex.9521 said:

Proper long range two handed dmg oriented weapon

Can you define that? Do you mean a weaponskill kit similar to elementalist's staff fire attunment? Ranger's longbow weaponskill kit? Or something else totally?

If it's a long range weapon I wish ANet avoid giving yet another skill the ugly black flying hand design.

6 hours ago, Nawrotex.9521 said:

I really hope for proper long range two handed dmg oriented weapon, 

I really hope it's the opposite. 

Necro is mainly mid to long range on everything besides reaper and is really lacking mainhand weapons. 

Sword  or mace melee weapon is my go to. 

Melee condi is the only real niche that's missing weapon set wise in my mind.

22 minutes ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Staff is not a weapon for dps, so that one is ruled out.

Scepter and Axe is both 900 range.  So no, we do not have a true long range weapon.

And we already have melee condi reaper.

We do have focus with 1200 range spinal shivers, but it's not a mainhand and just 1 skill.  I'd definitely like to see a true range spec for necro. 

6 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Can you define that? Do you mean a weaponskill kit similar to elementalist's staff fire attunment? Ranger's longbow weaponskill kit? Or something else totally?

If it's a long range weapon I wish ANet avoid giving yet another skill the ugly black flying hand design.

Working out how to do that for Necro seems difficult to me, too.

Giving Necro a "proper" LR 2H dps weapon would require designing a weakness for the elite that counters the profession's innate sustain, probably removes shroud, and still allows the elite to be weak to kiting and control effects.

Not saying it cannot be done but it seems hard to balance and peaky in performance.

I have not been able to figure out how a bow or fire arm could have dps at 1500 range as a Necro elite specialization without having some wildly unexpected and counterintuitive skills. At that point, a LR weapon might as well be a MH focus or war horn. What it looks like will not matter. For example, it could be a rifle that launches Jagged Horrors like potatoes and have a 3 second after-cast.

5 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

And we already have melee condi reaper.

There is nothing about the weapons reaper has, greatsword, that really promotes condi play.  I am on about the weapons specifically. 

Condi reaper also died to make room for other condi specs, scourge in this case, and is pretty much a single trait "carrying" it. 

By the very same notion I could just as easily say we already have long range because core shroud has an auto that is 1200 range.

Anyways we will see in a couple of weeks and I do really hope its not a ranged weapon. Or that the spec has what would be considered a conventional shroud. 

Edited by Sigmoid.7082