Next Espec Weapon

Ya Ya Yeah.7381

9 hours ago, Anchoku.8142 said:

Giving Necro a "proper" LR 2H dps weapon would require designing a weakness for the elite that counters the profession's innate sustain, probably removes shroud, and still allows the elite to be weak to kiting and control effects.

I'm not sure I follow you there, core scepter and in some way axe are already pretty good ranged weapons. I don't see what issues another ranged weapon could create.

9 hours ago, Anchoku.8142 said:

I have not been able to figure out how a bow or fire arm could have dps at 1500 range as a Necro elite specialization without having some wildly unexpected and counterintuitive skills.

Longbow:

1. AA: Bone arrow: Shot an arrow that explode on impact, dealing damage and bleeding foes.
  2. Skill#2: Splinting bones: Fire a spread of bone fragment, shredding foes in a cone in front of you.
  3. Skill#3: Bone Armor: surround yourself with bones increasing your toughness.
  4. -> Bone nova: Detonate your bone armor, inflicting damage and bleed to foes around you. Blast finisher.
  5. Skill#4: Summon bone prison: Summon a ring of bone to surround the targeted area.
  6. Skill#5: Summon a spirit to track and damage the target.

Riffle:

1. AA: Dark shot: Shot a bullet of concentrated darkness to your foe dealing damage.
  2. Skill#2: Vampiric bullet: Shot a vampiric parasite to your foe. It will leech your foe life every second for 5s.
  3. Skill#3: Venimous bullet: Shot a venimous parasite to your foe. It will apply 2 stack of poison every second for 5s.
  4. Skill#4: Devouring bullet: Shot a devouring parasite to your foe. It will rip 1 boon every second for the next 5s.
  5. Skill#5: Creepy bullet: Shot a creepy parasite to your foe. It will apply confusion every second for the next 4s and at the 5th second it will fear the foe for 1s.

Those are just example, you could have a constricting bullet to immobilize/slow your target, a vigorous bullet to torment your target, a chilling bullet... etc. The trait could extend the time your parasites stay alive within your target by 2s. (Such design might be to heavy on the game engine, thought).

14 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I'm not sure I follow you there, core scepter and in some way axe are already pretty good ranged weapons. I don't see what issues another ranged weapon could create.

Longbow:

1. AA: Bone arrow: Shot an arrow that explode on impact, dealing damage and bleeding foes.
  2. Skill#2: Splinting bones: Fire a spread of bone fragment, shredding foes in a cone in front of you.
  4. -> Bone nova: Detonate your bone armor, inflicting damage and bleed to foes around you. Blast finisher.
  5. Skill#4: Summon bone prison: Summon a ring of bone to surround the targeted area.

Riffle:

1. AA: Dark shot: Shot a bullet of concentrated darkness to your foe dealing damage.
  2. Skill#2: Vampiric bullet: Shot a vampiric parasite to your foe. It will leech your foe life every second for 5s.
  3. Skill#3: Venimous bullet: Shot a venimous parasite to your foe. It will apply 2 stack of poison every second for 5s.
  4. Skill#4: Devouring bullet: Shot a devouring parasite to your foe. It will rip 1 boon every second for the next 5s.
  5. Skill#5: Creepy bullet: Shot a creepy parasite to your foe. It will apply confusion every second for the next 4s and at the 5th second it will fear the foe for 1s.

Those are just example, you could have a constricting bullet to immobilize/slow your target, a vigorous bullet to torment your target, a chilling bullet... etc. The trait could extend the time your parasites stay alive within your target by 2s. (Such design might be to heavy on the game engine, thought).

My thougit was, to get dps out of a LR weapon, the skills would have to have a significant penalty for use. Your ideas are fine for skill function but the penalties are not listed. Two examples follow that intentionally nerf PvP performance:

--- Long cast or after-cast times and the skills are easily interrupted by control effects or player movement.

--- Skills are powered by LF depleting Necro's sustain if they miss or otherwise do no damage.

What you also say is true about scepter and axe but note that each has a cost for its use. Scepter is great cor condi-dps but forces players to pay extra attention to LF generation. Axe is an exellent alternative to staff but is not a good dps weapon. Think of what might be a cost to get dps from a 1500 range weapon and not be (much) better than staff's general utility.

When I try to draw a Venn diagram and keep the area of goodness the same for a long range dps weapon, it does not look that appealing.

p.s.

It is easy to forget what core Necro abilities that players assume will be there as a golem-bow Neckranger or Horror-launcher toting Deadguy. Kiss that second health bar goodbye and don't expect stab or mobility to replace it.

Edited by Anchoku.8142

Shield!!!!

But rifle with stances  would be cool 😐

Low condi aplyance more like move between the shadow of the dead theme.

Use corpse to empower damage 😐

Shoot miasma unremovable condition 😐

Consume condition or boons depending stance to boost damage or make it unblocable

Elite skills.. Shadow Lands,  simulate necro moving underground (assassin from Ragnarok online alike) to shoot from other positioning, and would have a 16sec CD, trait to leave plaguelands with miasma ad the tunel entrace 😛

Miasma: consume all target conditions to increase its damage/degen tick, last 2-3 secconds cant be removed.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

Rifle and stances sounds incredibly boring to play.

I like shields but I hate the necro core weapons.

Double sword or hammer would be awesome, but might be too close to what reaper already does.

I am quite confident that shortbow is out (which is great - I don't like it) as we already have a ton of 900 range weapons. And this brings us to longbow, which (like rifle) would add the missing 1200 dps range.

Edited by KrHome.1920

21 hours ago, Acyk.9671 said:

It's like 2 GS, it doesn't make sense. 

Axe, dagger and pistol have MH and OH use. It's not that hard to develop a mirrored stowed position and weapon use animations are planned, anyway.

Also, Mesmer GS works like a staff, Thief staff works like a greatsword (or a staff in real life instead of Necro's magic staff.)

Using 2 x 2H weapons at once is a nice bit of counter-intuitive insanity that even the dev's would help at because of the issue of stats but I am glad you suggested it.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:34 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Longbow:

Diablo 2 called and they want their Necromance back please.

In all seriousness that is a good setup for LB necro.

My thoughts on it, don't pigeonhole so much into one condition, add some poison, cripple, and torment to it.

Splinting Bones would need bleed and cripple

Bone Armor: add a pulsing poison effect within 150 of the necro. Add poison to Bone Nova in addition to the bleed.

Skill #5: spirit would have to live for 4-5s, move fast, apply cripple and torment on the target, and be summoned next to the target for it to be viable.

Imo an easy and interesting weapon for a Necro spec would be MH sword for a Deathknight type spec. 

Perhaps focused on movement and a bit of porting in sword 3 maybe. Porting on the target. Ig it may feel too close to guardian sword. At which I would say give it as off hand sword, but torch already was given as an OH and 2 new skills are not the same as 2 + AA chain. Unless they get flip overs for both sword 4 and 5.

52 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Diablo 2 called and they want their Necromance back please.

What can I say... Yes! I admit that I used Diablo II as a reference! I am guilty! Diablo II classes are amongst the best I've ever played.

56 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

In all seriousness that is a good setup for LB necro.

My thoughts on it, don't pigeonhole so much into one condition, add some poison, cripple, and torment to it.

Splinting Bones would need bleed and cripple

Bone Armor: add a pulsing poison effect within 150 of the necro. Add poison to Bone Nova in addition to the bleed.

Skill #5: spirit would have to live for 4-5s, move fast, apply cripple and torment on the target, and be summoned next to the target for it to be viable.

Glad you like it! I rushed the thing it was meant to just be an example, not meant to be perfect, thought.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

What can I say... Yes! I admit that I used Diablo II as a reference! I am guilty! Diablo II classes are amongst the best I've ever played.

Glad you like it! I rushed the thing it was meant to just be an example, not meant to be perfect, thought.

Np. The e-spec cakes are baked in at this point I bet though...

• Like 1