🗫 List your top WvW concerns over the years [comments/feedbacks/solutions] ⚖

Woop S.7851

*Please list your top WvW concerns over the years
*Will these issues persist after alliances is launched?

*Any constructive solutions that will resolve these long-term?

*Be as concise & precise as possible when listing concerns

*Be as creative as possible when listing solutions!
*It is you! The players that shapes the community and future of this game! 👍

Examples to start off..

1. Hackers/exploiters roam freely in WvW
Solutions:
- Steam-powered anti-hack
- Player driven dishonor report system (once reported by 'x' players during a match, disable this player from joining the next match-up after 'x' minutes/hours)

2. Perma-stealth of certain professions makes them overpowered
Solutions:
- Alliance matchup system should prevent 50 thieves on 1 side
- Instead of fully invisible, use a translucent silhouette
- Apply 'Reveal' if first hit misses or is dodged

etc.

Your turn..

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Obstructed by ???

Solution: make the random trees and rocks a part of the scenery rather than objects

Bows shoot farther than guns if you have a height advantage, this has literally never made sense

Solution: limit bow max range

Culled/invisible aoe circles for certain skills, looking at you meteor shower that hits 6x before the ring shows up

Solution: put the aoe ring up before the skill starts landing, clean up visual noise

Minis/pets don't receive stealth

Solution: disable all minis or make them and pets stealth when their associated player stealths

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Gameplay
They need to prevent any obvious exploits such as people porting around or glitching into structures. Of course it is easier said than done.

DX11 client should help people that have low end PCs probably, but WvW should have a separate graphics setting option that standardizes all players that are not in your subgroup or the commander. That includes all flashy backpacks , gliders, and people that roleplay as moving light bulbs. I distinctly remember one commander asking players to not use the meteor glider in the past because a whole squad of them basically obscured the entire field of view.

New player experience
For newcomers the mastery system is a daunting issue , since over 1K ranks to have full masteries is a huge undertaking. Instead of lowering prestige tier rewards such as mistforged armor the masteries could be slashed in terms of required ranks.

There probably should be a rework of dailies such that veteran creature slayer is converted to yak defender (which is just as low effort but doesn't clog up the queues).

I'm not sure why there isn't an alternative to bountiful maintenance oil that uses WVW ingredients. Platinum Doubloons are by no means easily obtainable if you are new. I'd also like to see Sharpening Stone Station alternative so you don't have maybe 20-30 people buying sharpening stones but that is less of an issue.

Stealthing needs to happen for minipets as RisenHowl stated above. However, I'd also add the stipulation that ranger pets should receive greater control in that you should be able to stow them if you are stealthed.

Balance
Fix all 300s traits , the majority are not used in PvE and for PvP they are just as broken. This isn't controversial, just about anyone would agree with this.

There should be an overarching goal of not having three or more powerful effects shoved on to a trait or skill.
Superspeed and quickness on gyros should probably be shaved down, but that's my personal opinion as they result in multiple powerful effects right now. Unlike firebrands, heralds, spellbreakers, chronomancers, scourges post nerf, or other classes they are far more meta defining and oppressive to any form of damage that relies on damage over time.

I would say a discussion of whether Karka potion should be allowed in WvW (+150 toughness) when minstrel gear and a 40% damage nerf is in place could be in order. Not only is it accountbound and only obtainable in PvE, it requires doing a whole PvE event chain.

Long term rewards
Grandmaster mark shards have needed to go for the longest time. There is zero reason to have an additional item ingame to make a convoluted currency, especially since 3 grandmaster marks is not an impressive amount of value per week (it's around 8 hours if you have no WvW rank just to reach 3 grandmaster marks shards).

Anyone that has a long term goal of legendaries needs to invest many resources of their own to obtain legendaries, but WvW has the worst rewards of any game mode. PvP players literally can get more gold per hour afking in PvP because you get rewards for losing. There should probably be a trade-in value for emblems for memories of battle or two mystic clovers (market value ~8g) per day similar to fractals. The minimum time for a reward track is just under 4 hours.

WvW exclusive reward tracks could probably have more siege added into them.

There could probably be a new legendary trinket (accessory specifically) to allow people that don't want to PvE whatsoever a way to be full legendary. There is little reason to be full legendary for PvP , but WvW is where legendaries are beneficial since WvW infusions cannot be slotted in the same slot as agony infusions and every balance patch has the potential to fundamentally change builds.

If possible, a way to dye mistforged armor aura. Bring back a prestige tier reward for 2K + rank players.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Personal quip, but if there was one single thing I could change about WvW, it would be to remove Watchtower from the game. Perma-marking all nearby enemies in a giant radius makes taking enemy structures too difficult and trivializes scouting. 

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

Personal quip, but if there was one single thing I could change about WvW, it would be to remove Watchtower from the game. Perma-marking all nearby enemies in a giant radius makes taking enemy structures too difficult and trivializes scouting. 

I'm pretty sure that all towers can be open outside of watchtowers range via catas or trebs. Even if there isn't any kind of "dot" near objective, but it's tagged I usually ask to check or even I go to check it myself, since there's always possibility for sneak catas.

• Like 2

too much aoe spam creates huge lag. please design skills that don't do multiple aoe checks every second or persist for too long.

support and damage sharing. aoe is supposed to be a way to punish people that ball up, thats the point of it. so why does aoe in gw2 only tickle groups? less duration more targets might help, would need to limit this to only a few offensive/ defensive skills per class. oh and something for this point and the previous one, stop making aoe skills do ally and enemy aoe checks cuz it adds way too much stress on the hamster wheel servers. one hit aoe of this type is bad enough, but pulsing aoe with ally and enemy aoe checks... just horrid man. cmon.

lots of classes can do damage, the ones that are meta can do damage and offer a mechanic that others can't or they're simply the best at. expand on this so more classes can be meta. support is another story... classes besides fb/ scrapper really need some help.

consider removing some types of gear from wvw, such as minstrel and trailblazer. modify existing gear sets to be more useful, there are lots that are not only bad but have no reasoning behind them. wtf is seraph? its ok that these were released and didn't take off, but please do periodic updates every year or so.

when you make worlds, please take into consideration the time zone a player is in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

The watchtower upgrade enhances the usefulness of towers even on RBL for exactly that reason. The towers don't block the passes and if they did then maybe this might be a different story. It also means there is more reason to take out the towers even outside of their ability to allow attacks on larger structures. Since as others pointed out they can be defeated by either how you transverse around them or where you place your siege, no I would prefer this one stays. WTs make scouting a more active role since it allows us to travel around more and actually scout versus just staying in one area and watching which translate to more open field fights as roamers are hunting the scouts to further blind the otherside. If we go back to people just standing in structures and call that scouting we lose more fights and, since scouting pays nothing, you also don't have a way to gain contributions. 

• Like 1

1 )  I would like to see who pulls the AirShip or who pulls the Emergency WayPoint. Maybe have it announce in Team Chat "  < player name > has Activated < defence Ability > at < Location > "  maybe with a time stamp. The reason why is painfully Obvious as people have Multiple accounts or maybe they are just evil trolls who enjoy watching others suffer.  It is sad that the state of the game has come to this I have no clue on how the Devs can fix this. 

2 )  Maybe have maps that have the outnumbered Buff have a dynamic buff that scales based on how greatly outnumbered you are.

3 )  To Often I see people running in place up against a wall using skills ( which they are obviously using macros to do ) mainly because they do not want to get kicked due to inactivity and then have to reenter the 30+ que  while they are away taking a nap or eating dinner or what ever. The Problem with this is they are taking up valuable space and preventing Active players who want to enter the Map and help fight. Again I have no solution to this problem but it hurts the game for everyone who wants to play.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff
On 7/7/2021 at 4:55 PM, Crazy.6029 said:

Rewards for winning

WvW Tournaments ( shorter this time)

More maps, we should get at least 3 per expansion. If Pve can get loads of maps, it wouldn't hurt for us to get 3 per expansion.

No more training wheels, nerf the support specs and boons.

What's everyone's favorite idea for cool match-up rewards?

• Like 8

1 - The Layout of the borderlands maps.  Keeps should be in the backlines.  Towers should be in the frontlines, covering the pathways.  That's their whole purpose.  The borderlands layout is horrendous in this regard.  This removes the strategic importance of the towers, and relegates them to only being semi secure treb sports.  I was hoping this would have been fixed with the HoT Map, but.... it was only made even worse as the towers can't even treb the keeps from their position, making them utterly useless wastes of space.

2 - The numerous bugs and exploits that have been reported by hundreds of people since launch that have gone completely ignored.  

3 - One Blob to Rule them All.  Zergs in and of themselves are good things.  However, once they reach critical mass it becomes ridiculous.  Use proximity based checks, if there's more than 25 people in a zerg, -2% movement speed to all of them for each person above 25 up to a max -70%.    Why?  Because large groups move slowly, and if you have 60+ people following your tag, you're well into blob territory where you can just PvDoor down a map without needing to drop rams and there's nothing the defenders can do about other than counterblobbing, which is bad gameplay and bad game design.

3 - Bad meta.  Condition damage and boons aren't so bad in small scale, but but in larger scale they become major problems.  They need reigned in, severely.

4 - Siege needs reworked.  The general concept of it is good, but it doesn't seem like it ever got past that stage.  It's directionless.  Catas and trebs should offensive, and should primarily damage structures.  Arrow carts and ballistas should be defensive.  AC's should do heavy damage to players, but little damage to siege.  Ballistas should do heavy damage to siege and little damage to players.   However, before you can fix that, you have to fix the bigger problem below

5 - Walls are useless.  Walls should not be deathtraps, period.  They should not favor the attacker, period.  They should give an advantage to the defender, period.  Attackers just AoE the top of walls, killing any defensive siege, and any players who happen to be on them.  Furthermore, the walls actually PREVENT defenders from attacking down off of them, completely contrary to their entire purpose.  If you don't fix this, then the entire concept of the game mode as a siege based capture and defense game is completely ruined.  

6 - Bandwagon hoppers, server stackers, and mercenary guilds  Any attempts to balance the population are thwarted by people being able to just pile onto one server (and soon, onto one alliance)

7 - 24 hour coverage.  Offpeak players shouldn't have so much of a disproportional effect as they do.  While the tick based scoring system's helped a bit, there are other issues it hasn't fixed.  Which server has the advantage, the one coming into NA prime time with t3 keeps and towers, or the one that had everything kept as paper for the past 18 hours?  All due to off peak coverage.  

8 - For rewards,  you should get currency based on where your server placed in that week's matchup.  2 for first, 1 for second, and 0 for third.  This currency can be traded in to a vendor to buy unique skins, ascended gear and materials, unique mounts, and other things you can show off that say 'Look, I won."  Let people take pride in their success.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Siege weapon combat tonics. I would like to whack people at Halloween with a catapult.
Also an infusion purchasable after completing Realm Avenger that just leaves a trail of blood behind you, so we know who to run away from.

More seriously, Just a pass at the existing WvW currencies, including;
- Turning emblems into currency (Tickets or just gold)

- Making the repeatable diamond track drop more gold convertable loot
- Rewarding new players for being able to reliably get up to gold chest
- High currency sinks for veterans

• Like 1

1. Lack of official stance on balance direction. There is ongoing debate whether the game is supposed to be power with condition as an extra (The older balance method), Condi primarily and then power for burst (Current raid balance), or hybrid with power against some targets and condi against others.

2. There has been a lot of talk of changes recently, which is fantastic, but there is still no physical confirmation of the new game direction.

3. Lack of heavy AoE options. Meteor storm, Barrage, Scorched Earth, and Arrow Carts tickle blobs (especially AC's). Additionally low target caps combined with reduced skill damage make blob breaking even more difficult.

4. Objective upgrades haven't been touched in 6 years. There is absolutely no variation in their usage either. If you want to keep the objective you slot hardened gates + iron guards + the objective specific T3, Auto Turrets are irrelevant.
4.5 Tactics are easily sabotagable and are often just flipped for kittens and giggles.

5. WvW traits are relatively bland vertical progression in GW2. Once you have unlocked all the traits running without them just feels like you are missing features. Seige Weapon traits are just a number increase except for the 1 skill they grant, Seige/Guard/Mercenary Bunker/Killer are just numerical changes.

6. Gliding and Warclaw are essentially required, yet they fail to provide unique movement options which is the fundamental aspect of gliding and mounts. In addition they trivialize map traversal.
6.5 The one unique movement option they both allow is clipping into keeps.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Not going to lie, I have mixed feelings on adding match-up rewards. I invest a lot of time each week to get Diamond 6 on my main account plus Wood 4 on my alt account.

The reward-motivated gamer in me is very happy to receive rewards for time invested and for success. I tend to prefer mats used for legendary crafting (mystic clovers, amalgamated gemstones, mystic coins, T6, globs of ectoplasm, charms, symbols, etc) because I never seem to have enough. I suppose there might be a certain appeal in weapon & armour skins, but this, for me, is heavily dependent upon subjective appeal (i.e. how cool do they look?). I am probably in the  minority in that ascended gear is not useful or attractive to me, and for this reason I tend to care rather little for the existing weapon skins in WvW.

Another question / challenge for the developers would be : do we get these only if we win the weekly match-up? What are the prizes for second and third, and are they still <insert subjective terms like "attractive" or "worth it" or "useful" or "cool">?

The pragmatist in me worries about cheaters and exploiters and afk-ers and bots and burning-out commanders and other committed players like scouts (both commanders and scouts are under-appreciated on my server, for instance). In my humble opinion, the primary reason sPvP is so toxic and full of bots/cheaters is because the rewards are so amazing. Giving equally amazing rewards to WvW worries me that it will become just as toxic as sPVP.

And while it might work to elevate all non-sPvP game modes to sPvP reward quality, this feels a bit risky: if it turns out to be wrong, we have all game modes becoming a toxic play experience.

And so I find the current lack of match-up rewards to be the only practical solution to avoiding the problems I have highlighted. The PIP system we currently have is cool and useful IMHO, and I do not feel it needs to change.

In other threads I have highlighted some ideas for reward changes (i.e. currency sinks). Maybe this is separate, so I will not re-post.

Edited by Adzekul.3104
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Thanks for showing some interest in this topic! Many WvW players feel their preferred game mode is not lucrative enough compared to PvP or PvE and would love to see more liquid rewards from it. There is also a very strong desire to be able to sell Emblems to the vender, or at least trade them for something useful/valuable.

I put together a thread not to long ago to suggest putting in a Daily, Weekly, and Monthly vendor that could exchange things like the Emblems for items like Mystic Clovers/Coins. Just a neat idea that may or may not be easy to implement, but would be more fun and useful than just assigning a gold value to the emblems.

Here is the link:
Add in Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Vendors into WvW - World vs. World - Guild Wars 2 Forums

That would be one way to increase match-up rewards, others ways  would be to add more gold and Mystic Coins to the Skirmish Track rewards. One other common complaint is getting Grandmaster Mark Shards rather than a whole Mark from the Skirmish Track.

For 'fun' if you do implement a vendor like I suggested in the thread I linked, you could put in a loot chest that can be purchased with Memories of Battle, Skirmish Tickets, or a bulk purchase with Emblems or Gifts of Battle. This loot chest would be like other grab bags, like Trick or Treat Bags, in that it would be full of WvW related consumables, crafting mats, and some rare and super rare drops that are exclusive to the chest, like WvW infusions that have effects to them. If you do that then make the chest account bound on purchase. We want more people to be enticed into the game mode.

• Like 4

I'm liking the idea of a loot box that can be purchased with Memories of Battle, Skirmish Tickets, or bulk purchased with Emblems and Gifts of Battle. It gives a way to dump the currencies/items that veterans have in abundance, and the loot from the box could be sold for more gold.

Box would cost 10 Memories of Battle or 3 Skirmish Tickets. Emblems and Gifts of Battle could purchase them in stacks of 10 maybe?

Things that I would like to see from the Box?

1 guaranteed junk item that is worth 50 silver

2 random superior siege or trap blueprints

Common:

T5 crafting mats (in stacks of 10)

T6 crafting mats (in stacks of 5)

Memories of Battle (5) its a chance at a refund

Toys/tonics that are WvW themed (for fun people)

Uncommon:

ascended crafting mats (1)

Skirmish Tickets (1)  its a chance at a refund

Mystic Coin (1)

Rare:

Mystic Coins (10)

Mystic Clovers (3)

Exotic quality weapon with WvW skins exclusive to the box

Super Rare:

Ascended weapon chest with WvW skins exclusive to the box

Ascended armor chest with WvW skins exclusive to the box

Defensive infusion that is WvW themed and exclusive to the box

Offensive infusion that is WvW themed and exclusive to the box

I still think there should be a Daily and Weekly vendor though in addition to this.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

- Turning emblems into currency, as it was briefly talked about by CMC, that it was easy to do, but was never done.

- Mystic coins, seeing that the price is rising and you can't really have enough + WvW is pretty stale to the common communities in gw2, so it wouldn't have any effect of giving WvW more coins or gold, as let's say, Fractals, gives you an abundance, in comparison.

And a little wish on the side: Remove equipment, sigil recipes and spikes as drops.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

We want more people to be enticed into the game mode.

And that game mode is supposed to be "WvW", not "run in circles or afk at spawn for easy mode reward farm". Reward farming and open world PvP does not mix well together, because farming all comes down to minimising effort and that typically means minimising interaction with the opposition. Current WvW gameplay is already way too reward driven and resembles more and more the old EotM karma trains - which was never considered to be "real" WvW.

Rewards only work if they are in relation to risk and effort and that's currently not the case at all.

WvW was best when players played the game mode because it was fun. Rewards were literally non existent, yet there was action all over the place. Even low pop bronze league servers felt more alive than t1 severs now at times, because players were actually willing to engage and fight - whether it was open field or sieges (that could last for hours!), small or large scale - it didn't matter. Now you have 20 players afk at spawn to flip a camp every few minutes, while the rest of the map is dead. Or stack everyone in one huge blob to lag everything else into submission. Wow, so much fun.

It is the fun gameplay, the feel of competition, the enjoyment of an awesome combat system, the simple joy of fighting other players  - for towers, keeps, for glory or quite literally just for fun - that needs to be brought back. Not even more rewards, that ultimatively only hurt the game mode, due to how they shape player behaviour in a very anti PvP manner.

Unfortunately a lot of the mechanics that were added over the years directly work against incentivising player interaction - either by primarily being combat avoidance tools such as the warclaw or gliding, by automating and simplifying stuff and therefore removing things to do for players ( eg. watchtower, invuln dollies) or by simpy making combat less fair and fun (most of the guild upgrades  - a big reason why long drawn out sieges aren't a thing anymore - fighting inside/arround structures is very annoying and often only worth if it in a lopsided encounter). And a lot of players will want to keep all those things, because it makes the game mode - and rewards farming - easier and safer.

So to stay on topic and sum up my main WvW concerns:

1. Too much mechanics that spoil player interaction (with allies and opponents alike) and disincentivise combat

Solution: Remove and/or rework gliding, mounts, guild upgrades. I know, i know, not going to happen (at least the "remove" part), but i don't see another way to bring back actual "World vs World" instead of "Player vs Gimmick"

2. Lack of (class) balance

There is not much to add here, solution should be obvious. Balance doesn't have to be perfect (it is impossible anyway), as long we aren't stuck with aweful balance/builds/mechanics for months and years. Balancing has to be an ongoing and continuous process, not the "here have some big changes, now deal with it for the next 2 years" kind of approach. Also downstate needs to be included when it comes to balance.

3. Too much players that mainly/only play for the rewards and no risk/effort vs rewards balance.

Mostly the result of 1. and 2. If the game mode lacks intrinsic incentives ("fun") then ofc rewards are the only thing left to play for.

No, rewards don't need to be removed, but they should be something that mainly benefits WvW players themself and are less valuable for PvE only players (maybe tonics or armor/weapon/mount/siege skins that only work in WvW?). Rewards should also be earned by active gameplay and need to be split between players so more players don't automatically generate more rewards (risk vs reward balance).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

And that game mode is supposed to be "WvW", not "run in circles or afk at spawn for easy mode reward farm". Reward farming and open world PvP does not mix well together, because farming all comes down to minimising effort and that typically means minimising interaction with the opposition. Current WvW gameplay is already way too reward driven and resembles more and more the old EotM karma trains - which was never considered to be "real" WvW.

Rewards only work if they are in relation to risk and effort and that's currently not the case at all.

Well, its a good thing that Emblems are gained by actively playing the Mode then huh? 

WvW was best when players played the game mode because it was fun. Rewards were literally non existent, yet there was action all over the place. Even low pop bronze league servers felt more alive than t1 severs now at times, because players were actually willing to engage and fight - whether it was open field or sieges (that could last for hours!), small or large scale - it didn't matter. Now you have 20 players afk at spawn to flip a camp every few minutes, while the rest of the map is dead. Or stack everyone in one huge blob to lag everything else into submission. Wow, so much fun.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. WvW was a negative reward gold sink back then.

It is the fun gameplay, the feel of competition, the enjoyment of an awesome combat system, the simple joy of fighting other players  - for towers, keeps, for glory or quite literally just for fun - that needs to be brought back. Not even more rewards, that ultimatively only hurt the game mode, due to how they shape player behaviour in a very anti PvP manner.

Unfortunately a lot of the mechanics that were added over the years directly work against incentivising player interaction - either by primarily being combat avoidance tools such as the warclaw or gliding, by automating and simplifying stuff and therefore removing things to do for players ( eg. watchtower, invuln dollies) or by simpy making combat less fair and fun (most of the guild upgrades  - a big reason why long drawn out sieges aren't a thing anymore - fighting inside/arround structures is very annoying and often only worth if it in a lopsided encounter). And a lot of players will want to keep all those things, because it makes the game mode - and rewards farming - easier and safer.

Give a Skirmish pip for killing another player if they give wxp then. That would incentivize people to not AFK and push them to find fights.

So to stay on topic and sum up my main WvW concerns:

1. Too much mechanics that spoil player interaction (with allies and opponents alike) and disincentivise combat

Solution: Remove and/or rework gliding, mounts, guild upgrades. I know, i know, not going to happen (at least the "remove" part), but i don't see another way to bring back actual "World vs World" instead of "Player vs Gimmick"

2. Lack of (class) balance

There is not much to add here, solution should be obvious. Balance doesn't have to be perfect (it is impossible anyway), as long we aren't stuck with aweful balance/builds/mechanics for months and years. Balancing has to be an ongoing and continuous process, not the "here have some big changes, now deal with it for the next 2 years" kind of approach. Also downstate needs to be included when it comes to balance.

3. Too much players that mainly/only play for the rewards and no risk/effort vs rewards balance.

Mostly the result of 1. and 2. If the game mode lacks intrinsic incentives ("fun") then ofc rewards are the only thing left to play for.

No, rewards don't need to be removed, but they should be something that mainly benefits WvW players themself and are less valuable for PvE only players (maybe tonics or armor/weapon/mount/siege skins that only work in WvW?). Rewards should also be earned by active gameplay and need to be split between players so more players don't automatically generate more rewards (risk vs reward balance).

We need more and better balance for sure, not the CMC balance. We also need more total maps, of different varieties. One can even be a large white cube for all the fight guilds to go fight in for "real WvW.'

• Like 2