Eternity: Legendary Armory Inconsistencies

I spoke to Anet Support today as I requested some details about Eternity owners and how that will work with the armory. For some backstory, I crafted and bound Sunrise back in 2015,  and crafted Twilight to create my Eternity on 7/29/2020, so one year ago. I was a returning player and didn't know about the legendary armory, otherwise I wish I had waited. 😞

As it stands right now, future Eternity crafters who create the weapon using the new token system will keep their Sunrise and Twilight to pull out of the armory at anytime, giving them 3 Legendary Greatswords. Anyone who have already crafted/bound Eternity will only keep Eternity (as they do not currently possess a Sunrise or Twilight), so 1 Legendary Greatsword. I feel like this takes away the unique 'sacrificial' element to making Eternity.

To put it into perspective, if you own Twilight and Sunrise right now and wait til armory comes out, you'll keep the 2 Legendary Greatswords, and use the Tokens for craft a account-bound Eternity.
If you have already bound Eternity, you just have Eternity, no Tokens, and presumably no account-bound Sunrise or Twilight.
 SEE FINAL EDIT.

I wish Anet had considered current Eternity owners alongside future ones when developing the armory. While not necessarily optimal solutions for everyone, Anet could consider giving bound-Eternity owners all three Greatswords in-armory on release day (Yes, even if it was bought from the TP), or removing Twilight/Sunrise from armory with the token deal.

TL;DR: If you plan to craft and bind Eternity, wait until after armory release to have 3 legendary Greatswords to use simultaneously. Don't be like me and every other current Eternity owner.
Disclaimer: They may still change this prior to armory release, but as it stands now this is how Eternity functions.

EDIT: Theres a lot of discussion regarding why care about having three legendary greatswords in-armory. I and other collectors want these items in-armory without having to obtain them a second time.

FINAL EDIT: ArenaNet repsonded, take a look! ALL current account-bound Eternity owners will receive in-armory Twilight and Sunrise as well.

Edited by Soulanimal.3718
Added why I like Legendary swords uwu
  • Like 11

26 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I'm not too bothered. You only need 2 greatswords in your armory anyway. One of the trio and Exordium, enough for me. Two GS to pull from the armory and all 4 skins, every option covered.

That works for anyone with Exordium I guess, but people making Eternity in August will have 3 legendary greatswords, while people who made it today will only have Eternity. Seems like an oversight.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Frankly, at this point I don't really see any downside of giving anyone with eternity additional Twilight and Sunrise unlocks. You can't use more than two GS at the same time anyway, and they already have all the skins as well, so...

Thats the solution I would like to see implemented, but we'll see.

It doesn't really add anything more to the game (even if you bought Eternity from the TP and bound it). But as a current Eternity owner: If this isn't implemented, I'm better off building Exordium for GS #2, then at least I get a new skin 🙂

Edited by Soulanimal.3718
  • Like 4

I agree. I saw the thread on reddit, and as someone that owns Eternity, I'd like to be able to have Twilight and Sunrise available in my legendary armory too.

Edit: I crafted Twilight and bought Sunrise.

Edited by sem.6095
Clarifying how I acquired the previous two legendary greatswords
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Soulanimal.3718 said:

As it stands right now, future Eternity crafters who create the weapon using the new token system will keep their Sunrise and Twilight

Yes, the blog post implies the same thing. Weird. You're not the only one, though, who will be affected by this change, rest assured.

14 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Frankly, at this point I don't really see any downside of giving anyone with eternity additional Twilight and Sunrise unlocks. You can't use more than two GS at the same time anyway, and they already have all the skins as well, so...

The downside, at least within the framework of the current system, would be:

Players who purchase Eternity and bind it would receive additional legendary items for free. In this case 2 additional legendary greatswords.

We also do not know how the token system will work for Sunrise, Twilight and Eternity post armory and if there will be one at all. There is a chance that adding Sunrise or Twilight to the armory post patch removes the ability to craft Eternity (meaning you can't bind the weapons but rather have to opt to building Eternity before binding anything to account), in which case any future behavior in this case mirrors Eternity owners without Sunrise or Twilight unlocked.

The token system might very well be only in place for this 1 transition. In which case, yes some players will luck out, but in the long run the behavior will remain consistent. What will go is the ability to unlock the skins, then craft Eternity and sell it in any case.

EDIT:

I'm neither for or against this. Just pointing to the issue created IF Eternity owners get free access to Sunrise/Twilight. It depends highly on if the tokens granted are meant as a permanent addition, or temporary measure. In on case it is unfair to one part of the player base. In the other case another.

The tokens might be a temporary fix as to not punish players who have bound Sunrise/Twilight while at the same time preventing the resale of said weapons in form of Eternity.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Players who purchase Eternity and bind it would receive additional legendary items for free.

Would they though? Every Eternity has a Sunrise/Twilight inside it, the only thing that makes it 'free' is that its been converted into one greatsword.

Regardless, they would be account bound and it wouldnt fluctuate the market. This is solely for armory collection purposes, as it would cost a current Eternity crafter almost 5,000g to reobtain Twilight and Sunrise.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I own Eternity and crafted it myself. After armory, I would have to craft both precursor swords again for collection. I would only use the eternity skin anyways and just be nice to have Twilight/Sunrise for collection purposes. The tokens seems like guarding against an edge case meant for those with uncraftable/unsellable twilight/sunrise in their armory after the change. Only seems fair that the other case, those that already own Eternity, be considered as well in at least SOME regard.

Edited by million.7289
  • Like 1

I have eternity & so does my husband, we both crafted it ages ago before any hint of an armory. I think they should give us a way to break our current eternity into bound copies of sunrise & twilight or send those of us with just eternity bound copies.

I guess the other possibility would be new eternities crafted with tokens get a new item code. All old Eternities have both Sunrise & Twilight inside of them and unlocking the old Eternity would give all three in the armory.

Edited by khani.4786
adding another option
  • Like 2

If what is in the first post is entirely correct, I'm going to be very upset when the armory is released next week. I've specifically crafted every legendary for collection purposes and making sure I wouldn't have to bother with this ever again. If some new system rolls around that, in my eyes, removes part of my previous accomplishments and i need to re-craft Twilight and Sunrise after having done so in the past I don't know if I really want to continue maintaining my personal collection.

5 hours ago, Soulanimal.3718 said:

Anyone who have already crafted/bound Eternity will only keep Eternity (as they do not currently possess a Sunrise or Twlight), so 1 Legendary Greatsword.

Just.... great... I made my Eternity 7 years ago. If only I had waited a little bit .. :classic_dry:  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Players who purchase Eternity and bind it would receive additional legendary items for free. In this case 2 additional legendary greatswords.

Buying Eternity directly from trading post costs more than crafting both swords separately. Nobody would get anything for free. Actually, people keeping the other 2 swords during the process of crafting Eternity are the ones getting free weapons.

Eternity users already spent 3k+ gold for the weapon (either crafting or buying it directly). If they want to get Twilight and Sunrise, they need to spend more 3k and will be stuck with tokens for an weapon they already have crafted, while players crafting it after armory will spend only the initial 3k.

Would they though? Every Eternity has a Sunrise/Twilight inside it, the only thing that makes it 'free' is that its been converted into one greatsword.

That's the point, players who have crafted OR purchased Eternity currently have 1 legendary sword. Not 2, not 3, only 1.

If the tokens are a temporary measure, in the future post patch, players are forced with following decision:

1. not bind Sunrise or Twilight and craft Eternity, leaving them with again 1 legendary item

2. bind Sunrise or Twilight, thus losing the ability to craft Eternity

The only scenario where this is not applicable is IF the tokens remain, aka players who bind their Sunrise or Twilight post patch also receive a token, which I am not sure will be the case. If it is, sure then it could make sense to offer Eternity owning players something, given they would be disadvantaged.

The way I assume the system works is: the tokens are a 1 time opportunity for players to acquire 3 legendary items (Sunrise, Twilight, Eternity) for the cost of 2 (Sunrise and Twilight).

Any player owning Eternity is no better or worse off than any future player crafting eternity. They are only worse off compared to the very few select individuals who get tokens.

Regardless, they would be account bound and it wouldnt fluctuate the market. This is solely for armory collection purposes, as it would cost a current Eternity crafter almost 5,000g to reobtain Twilight and Sunrise.

This is not about flooding the market. If Eternity unlocks all 3 legendary greatswords, there is 0 reason to sell/buy Twilight or Sunrise. Every player interested in those would/should immediately go for Eternity given they would get both of those for free on top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Grohax.1278 said:

Buying Eternity directly from trading post costs more than crafting both swords separately. Nobody would get anything for free. Actually, people keeping the other 2 swords during the process of crafting Eternity are the ones getting free weapons.

That is not true and has never been true. You are comparing crafting cost versus market value to mislead.

Crafting Sunrise and Twilight is cheaper than buying them off the TP because you don't account for the the royalties on the account bound materials which you invest. Those have value too whether you want to factor for that or not.

Buying Eternity is (significantly) cheaper than crafting Eternity because people sell it, to recuperate cost and only wanted the skins, at a loss.

Buying Eternity is cheaper than crafting both swords or crafting it oneself exactly due to those reasons. You are intentionally omitting the opportunity cost of both weapons.

Eternity users already spent 3k+ gold for the weapon (either crafting or buying it directly). If they want to get Twilight and Sunrise, they need to spend more 3k and will be stuck with tokens for an weapon they already have crafted, while players crafting it after armory will spend only the initial 3k.

Yes, just like any future Eternity crafter will too, if the tokens are temporary only and not to stay.

As is right now, players who crafted Eternity, have 1 legendary.

This will remain to be the case even after the patch with a small subsection of players who will get tokens, allowing them to get 1-2 legendary items on top (via using the tokens as substitute. 1 legendary item in case only 1 weapon is bound, 2 legendary items in case players held off in crafting Eternity). Any future Eternity crafting would now cost 1-2 tokens plus 0-1 Sunrise/Twilight to complete Eternity for these players.

We do not know if the tokens system will remain post armory introduction, or if players will be forced to decide between getting Sunrise/Twilight or going for Eternity.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I'm not too bothered. You only need 2 greatswords in your armory anyway. One of the trio and Exordium, enough for me. Two GS to pull from the armory and all 4 skins, every option covered.

It wount help me at all. I made Eternity back in 2013. long before 2nd gen or armory were even a thing. with the current solution im stuck with 1 legendary greatsword. overall its not a big deal but it feels weird they make a solution to unlock eternity for ppl owning the 2 gs, but not for those who already made eternity.

• Like 1

Please ANet, don't let innocent people who crafted eternity the "legit" (i.e. no trading antics) way get rolled over for the sake of artificial economic balance. I made Eternity by crafting Sunrise and buying Twilight a LONG time ago, like in 2014. If I could, I would rather have Sunrise/Twilight now because I have since reskinned my Eternity to Vision of the Mists.

The best option would be to just give those with Eternity 3 legendary greatswords. It seems like a lot and redundant sure, but Eternity is, in all purposes, 2 greatswords as one.

Why such a big deal for x2 GS? Because you never know when you'll need it. There are a lot of niche and fun builds that use double 2-hand weapons: Alac Mirage, Staff Daredevil, mobile arrowcart Ranger just to name a few. Who knows, maybe double greatsword might be good on one of the new elite specs?

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If they bought Eternity, they don't have all the skins. So if someone has Eternity +the skins of twilight/sunrise unlocked THEN unlock all 3 in armory

• Confused 2

This really stinks for everyone who has already crafted Eternity. The difference between one and three legendaries is huge. Even the more practical one vs two, since you'd only expect to use two at a time, is a huuuge difference. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Freyn.1420 said:

This really stinks for everyone who has already crafted Eternity. The difference between one and three legendaries is huge. Even the more practical one vs two, since you'd only expect to use two at a time, is a huuuge difference. 

Or they might want to tempt ppl like me with 100's of clovers to use them up on the 'old stuff' before eod. 

Soooo, ANET's only going to reward those who are newer at working on legendaries and/or have been postponing until lately,
instead of including loyal players who've been sticking around longer in the game and already "crossed the finish line" in making Eternity? 

Isn't that like... inviting friends to the party, and not serving any food to those who came on-time?
"Welcome to the party! Only those who came later will get pizza!! Sorry, everyone else who came early"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaspar.3892 said:

One simple solution to this would be: If you have sunrise and twilight unlocked as skins, you should receive them as unlocks in the legendary armory.

You accountbind Sunrise and Twilight, you use them to craft Eternity, you sell Eternity on the TP (or by mail if you are very trusting). Arenanet implements your suggestion and you now have 2 legendary weapons and the gold you got from selling Eternity. Now maybe I am blind on both eyes, but I don't see how THAT is supposed to be a fair solution.