Legendary Armory: Follow up clarifications

Thanks for the additional clarification, this is really helpful.

I'm especially pleased that it will be possible to make duplicates of Gen 2 legendaries after this update. I know some people have been wanting to do that for a long time and some have only found out they can't when they got to the final crafting staff and hit an error message so it will be nice to have the option.

14 minutes ago, Catmander Neko.5643 said:

Legendary Armory Item Caps 

Each type of equipment has its own limit, and the limit is counted separately for every unique legendary item. For example, you can unlock a Perfected Envoy light helm and an Ardent Glorious light helm as well. Here's a complete list: 

• Two-handed weapons: 2 
  • Main-hand exclusive weapons: 2 
  • Offhand exclusive weapons: 2 
  • One-handed weapons useable in either hand: 4 
  • Armor: 1 per piece, per armor class 
  • Back items: 1  
  • Trinkets: 1 (except Conflux, which is 2) 
  • Runes: 7 
  • Sigils: 8 

Purely hypothetical at the moment, but is it reasonable to assume these will be updated if/when the number which can be used changes? Say for example a future update lets you dual wield scepters or torches (or something sillier, like dual wielding greatswords...or shields) would the legendary armoury be updated to allow you to store more of them?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Catmander Neko.5643 said:

Players will not be able to acquire new slumbering trinkets after July 13 release and any existing slumbering trinkets will not be absorbed into the Legendary Armory. The recipes for these items will instead reward the awakened trinket.  

But what about current slumbering trinket owners? We’re going to be adding a vendor to the game that will allow you to upgrade any slumbering trinket to the fully awakened version

Will this vendor have a cost associated for the upgraded version, like with the current mystic forge requirements?  Or will the base recipe post-July 13 be set to the current slumbering version?  

Just curious if there is any benefit/penalty for crafting a legendary trinket this weekend or waiting for the 13th. 

1 minute ago, kumiorava.9674 said:

But you'd have to be online to claim the overflown items. Does the legendary armory migration happen offline or when you log in after the patch?

Everything happens retroactively only when you log in. When you're logged out - your character is permanently stored in a snapshot that is never touched.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification, really appreciated.

Why 8 sigils tho? I understand 7 runes (6 for the armor and 1 for the breather) but why 8 sigils? Afaik you only can use 2 + 2 on both set of weapons + up to 2 in the aquatic weapons.

Just now, Titan.8215 said:

Thanks for the clarification, really appreciated.

Why 8 sigils tho? I understand 7 runes (6 for the armor and 1 for the breather) but why 8 sigils? Afaik you only can use 2 + 2 on both set of weapons + up to 2 in the aquatic weapons.

No, the aquatic weapons are two handed weapons so they can take two sigils each that's 4 sigils the same as the terrestrial weapons.

• Like 1

You need two one handed legendaries for the same effect as one two handed legendary. Not to mention that a one handed legendary costs the same as a two handed legendary.

Why can't you weapon swap when you only have one two handed weapon equipped.

Why can you weapon swap if you have a one hander in set one and an off-hander in set two. You're pretty much getting the value of four items for the price of two.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Catmander Neko.5643 said:

Aurora, Vision, Coalescence 

Fixing this for Aurora, Vision, and Coalescence would require a rework of the visual effects for these items and how they’re applied (which would likely leave some players unhappy as it would change their appearance), or a significant engineering investment to build a one-off solution. That investment isn’t something we can commit to right now–our engineering team is focused on End of Dragons, Alliances, and DX11. We understand how important this is to all of you and that this isn’t the response you were hoping for, but in the spirit of transparency we wanted to let you know where things currently stand. 

I can understand this reasoning, coming from personal experiences with similar systems in videogames.
Did you evaluate to enable the crafting of "slumbering" versions of these items if you've unlocked the Original ones?
I don't know about the crafting cost for such a thing, but at this point even enabling the general option for slumbering versions of all Trinket slots, allowing implicitly full Legendary trinkets, is worth the utility and agency given to players.
If in the future there will be new Legendary Trinkets with new effects people interested in them will still chase them (I will).

Edited by Lascax.2163
  • Like 9

Isnt there some bandaid alternative you could come up with for the pve trinkets? Many ppl that want the toggle dont want any visual clutter from these trinkets not just bits of it. Would smth like a force-hide all effects or buffs of these trinkets without the option to choose which for the time being not be realistic either?

Thanks for the communication regardless.

Edit: The New legendary trinket comming at the end of the lw rerun better have a toggle.

Edited by zealex.9410
  • Like 9

We wanted to make a toggle for the three legendary PVE trinkets (Aurora, Vision and Coalescence). Unfortunately, these three items are setup differently from other items with visual effects and giving them a toggle is a complex problem. That probably sounds silly – it’s just a checkbox, right? A quick peek behind the curtain: these items are set up using a stacking buff (based on the number of equipped legendary trinkets) to determine which visual effect is added to the character model (i.e. the effect is actually added by the buff, not the item). The toggles in the Equipment panel control the visual effects on the items themselves–it’s not changing which item is slotted (i.e. it’s not switching to the slumbering version). This makes it much more difficult to convert them to the system where effects are on the item itself and can be toggled. Conflux and Transcendence previously got their effect from a buff not the item, but because they were a non-stacking buff we were able to move the effect to the item with a small amount of work and allow it to benefit from the toggle. 

Fixing this for Aurora, Vision, and Coalescence would require a rework of the visual effects for these items and how they’re applied (which would likely leave some players unhappy as it would change their appearance), or a significant engineering investment to build a one-off solution. That investment isn’t something we can commit to right now–our engineering team is focused on End of Dragons, Alliances, and DX11. We understand how important this is to all of you and that this isn’t the response you were hoping for, but in the spirit of transparency we wanted to let you know where things currently stand. 

I really mean no disrespect when I say this but when I set on the journey to unlock Coalescence, Vision and Aurora, I didn't do it for their visual effects, I wanted an infinitely stat-selectable item that fits in their respective trinket slot. I do hope that in the future, just like how you mentioned a vendor will be added to allow people to upgrade their slumbering trinkets to the fully awakened versions, another vendor is also added so that people with Coalescence, Vision and/or Aurora, can simply purchase an infinitely stat-selectable item that fits in the respective trinket slot (think of how nothing funky happens if a player wears Legendary trinkets in combination with ascended or other rarity trinkets in the other slots). This would allow players like myself to enjoy the amazing quality of life that Legendary trinkets bring without being subject to the visual effect that is currently tied to them.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Slumbering Trinkets 

Players will not be able to acquire new slumbering trinkets after July 13 release and any existing slumbering trinkets will not be absorbed into the Legendary Armory. The recipes for these items will instead reward the awakened trinket.  

But what about current slumbering trinket owners? We’re going to be adding a vendor to the game that will allow you to upgrade any slumbering trinket to the fully awakened version. You’ll be able to use the effect toggle in the Equipment panel to disable the effects from the awakened versions if you choose. This vendor won’t be in-game with the launch of Legendary Armory, but we plan to release it in a future update. 

WvW player? Conflux will no longer be unique, so players who currently use the awakened and slumbering versions can continue to use their current equipment loadout. 

So if I am getting this correctly, people who upgraded to the effect version of Conflux and Transcendence are actually "losing" some the effort they have put into it?
Can you guys add the steps necessary to craft the effect version of those on the Slumbering recipe instead of removing it completely, I don't think the effect version should be made easier, especially for Transcendence.

Edited by JasonLucas.4981
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, zealex.9410 said:

Isnt there some bandaid alternative you could come up with for the pve trinkets? Many ppl that want the toggle dont want any visual clutter from these trinkets not just bits of it. Would smth like a force-hide all effects or buffs of these trinkets without the option to choose which for the time being not be realistic either?

Thanks for the communication regardless.

Yeah, some global off switch would be fine for me, as in, untick any box and the "stacking buff" for all three is disabled.

Like others I've been put off crafting then because of the effects, I hope you guys get the chance to revisit this in the near future.

• Like 6

Hi all, 

Catmander Neko here, I’m the senior engineer who worked on the Legendary Armory. 

We’ve been keeping an eye on the discussion regarding the Legendary Armory since the blog post on Tuesday, and we wanted to respond to a few common questions. 

Slotted upgrades and infusions? 

Upgrades and infusions in equipped gear and equipment templates (aka your regular armory) will remain in place. For items in your bank, shared and regular inventory, infusions and upgrades will be popped out to your inventory. 

Slumbering Trinkets 

But what about current slumbering trinket owners? We’re going to be adding a vendor to the game that will allow you to upgrade any slumbering trinket to the fully awakened version. You’ll be able to use the effect toggle in the Equipment panel to disable the effects from the awakened versions if you choose. This vendor won’t be in-game with the launch of Legendary Armory, but we plan to release it in a future update. 

WvW player? Conflux will no longer be unique, so players who currently use the awakened and slumbering versions can continue to use their current equipment loadout. 

We wanted to make a toggle for the three legendary PVE trinkets (Aurora, Vision and Coalescence). Unfortunately, these three items are setup differently from other items with visual effects and giving them a toggle is a complex problem. That probably sounds silly – it’s just a checkbox, right? A quick peek behind the curtain: these items are set up using a stacking buff (based on the number of equipped legendary trinkets) to determine which visual effect is added to the character model (i.e. the effect is actually added by the buff, not the item). The toggles in the Equipment panel control the visual effects on the items themselves–it’s not changing which item is slotted (i.e. it’s not switching to the slumbering version). This makes it much more difficult to convert them to the system where effects are on the item itself and can be toggled. Conflux and Transcendence previously got their effect from a buff not the item, but because they were a non-stacking buff we were able to move the effect to the item with a small amount of work and allow it to benefit from the toggle. 

Eternity, Sunrise, and Twilight 

We already answered this question in another thread, but for the sake of completeness we’ll hit it again here. Players that bound Eternity to their accounts prior to the release of the Legendary Armory will receive an unlock for both Sunrise and Twilight in their Legendary Armory. Unbound Eternities bought from the Trading Post and added to the Legendary Armory will also act the same way. However, Eternity granted from the new Mystic Forge recipe using token items will not grant the additional unlocks. 

Gen 2 Precursor Crafting Limits 

Players will be able to craft multiple Gen 2 precursors after the Legendary Armory releases, meaning you can acquire multiples of Gen 2 legendaries. 

Legendary Armory Item Caps 

Each type of equipment has its own limit, and the limit is counted separately for every unique legendary item. For example, you can unlock a Perfected Envoy light helm and an Ardent Glorious light helm as well. Here's a complete list: 

• Two-handed weapons: 2 
  • Main-hand exclusive weapons: 2 
  • Offhand exclusive weapons: 2 
  • One-handed weapons useable in either hand: 4 
  • Armor: 1 per piece, per armor class 
  • Back items: 1  
  • Trinkets: 1 (except Conflux, which is 2) 
  • Runes: 7 
  • Sigils: 8 

But what with multiple Legendary Armor sets? After patch we ll need only one medium, heavy and light set. What with others sets? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shaqix.6839 said:

But what with multiple Legendary Armor sets? After patch we ll need only one medium, heavy and light set. What with others sets? 

well the same as if you have 2 bifrost and 2 nevermore, except if you have more than the maximum of the same legendary you don't get reinburse, because if you could do you could just unlock skin for free.