The Twisted Marionette and Legendary Armory are here!

21 minutes ago, Kilty.4906 said:

See, this is the reason why we get bosses like Dragonstorm and content like solo story missions. A game with amazing combat nerfed and unexplored. Also, Guild Wars 2 is not a "casual game", its philosophy was never to appeal to casual gameplay.

Um, yes it was ... it was ALWAYS intended to be that way. That's is (or was) exactly the appeal of it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Um, yes it was ... it was ALWAYS intended to be that way. That's is (or was) exactly the appeal of it. 

You are very mistaken my friend, this game was never intended to be focused on casual gameplay. Don't confuse horizontal progression with games focused on casual gameplay. You can clearly see that it was not their intend by how the combat is setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kilty.4906 said:

this game was never intended to be focused on casual gameplay. 

There is no mistake ... it was. You probably just weren't around to know it. You can clearly see that it was their intent by how combat is set up. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

There is no mistake ... it was. You probably just weren't around to know it. You can in FACT see it by how combat is set up. 

Think anet intends to train players for some next level content... and get them ready for raid level coordination...its all good... atleast the mystic coins and the exclusive weapon skin reward swill push them to the next level...

the way the game is designed from core tyria where u can casually kill mobs and a lil bit hard mode on HoT and PoF.. now this might get players to next level.. hope it does

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871

Just now, Kilty.4906 said:

Enlight me then.

Feel free to start ... YOU were the one that was first to claim casual play wasn't their intent from how combat was setup without explaining yourself ... so I just reciprocated with same unexplained claim to the opposite. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Think anet intends to train players for some next level content... and get them ready for raid level coordination...its all good... atleast the mystic coins and the exclusive weapon skin reward swill push them to the next level...

I think you are wishful thinking ... because players don't want to be trained. They will just not do the content if it starts requiring 'training' to do it successfully. If enough content follows this 'training' direction, they will just not play. It's already evident how this 'training' approach will work on raid content itself. Anet will deserve everything they get if this new Marionette encounter is an indication of future things to come. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Kilty.4906 said:

Enlight me then.

It's literally in their manifesto and various promotional videos from before launch about how GW2 isn't a traditional MMO that requires you to spend hours grinding before having fun and something that you can put down and pick up later, or play in conjunction with another game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I think you are wishful thinking ... because players don't want to be trained. They will just leave. It's already evident how this approach will work on raid content itself. 

hope they dont leave rightaway... once they look at the rewards and the exclusive skins, they might atleast try to do their best I guess... why would anet give free exclusive weapon skins for just a minimal grindy event(first kill one skin, 10 kills next skin)? their intent is good.. i appreciate it.. hope this event brings more ppl to try it out and get interested in game mechanics

19 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Casual friendly doesn't mean there shouldn't be harder content, learning curve or that everyone should get everything for chopping trees and holding 1. The casual appeal comes mostly from the fact that there's no need to grind to not stay behind due to lack of ever-increasing level limits and gear treadmil. But repeat "it's meant for casuals!1" enough times and you'll get people like some of the recent I've seen claiming that 5% of the game being hard is a valid reason to complain, because 95% of it is easy to the point of autoattacking bosses. Pretty sure that's also the reason for some people to believe that they shouldn't even need to complete content for the rewards, but instead should be offered hand-outs pretty much for logging in. And then that's what you get, people that can't as much as dodge a circle or cc when it's needed.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Feel free to start ... YOU were the one that was first to claim casual play wasn't their intent from how combat was setup without explaining yourself ... so I just reciprocated with same unexplained claim to the opposite. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. 

First, this is an action combat game, you need to pay attention to the mob animations to avoid damage or at least pay attention to its telegraphs, if you can't avoid it by normal means you can dodge roll or use a skill that mitigates that attack. You can also combine attacks using combo field and combo finishers. You don't necessarily need a healer since you have a skill dedicated to healing. Also, trait brings a new level to the way you play the game and gear can be set up for a specific situation. This is without talking about the weapon choices and elite specs. 

There, in this game, you have to spend time to learn and develop your abilities not only yours but your enemy's as well and if you are playing with other players you also need to know their skills. The level of synergy in this game is abundant, so yeah this game is not a dedicated game for casuals. Although casuals can play and they are welcome.

11 minutes ago, Zephire.8049 said:

It's literally in their manifesto and various promotional videos from before launch about how GW2 isn't a traditional MMO that requires you to spend hours grinding before having fun and something that you can put down and pick up later, or play in conjunction with another game.

This doesn't mean it was intented for casual gameplay. It means that this game avoid vertical progression like big grinds and the gear treadmill. At no point they stated that their content was supposed to be easy.

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Casual friendly doesn't mean there shouldn't be harder content, learning curve or that everyone should get everything for chopping trees and holding 1. The casual appeal comes mostly from the fact that there's no need to grind to not stay behind due to lack of ever-increasing level limits and gear treadmil. But repeat "it's meant for casuals!1" enough times and you'll get people like some of the recent I've seen claiming that 5% of the game being hard is a valid reason to complain, because 95% of it is easy to the point of autoattacking bosses. Pretty sure that's also the reason for some people to believe that they shouldn't even need to complete content for the rewards, but instead should be offered hand-outs pretty much for logging in. And then that's what you get, people that can't as much as dodge a circle or cc when it's needed.

Thank you! This person gets it!

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Are people really complaining about it being hard? The fight is easy!

Stop complaining about things being hard when you are doing less than 20% of what you profession can do while just pressing 1 with a gear set full of toughness, vitality and healing. This isn't even about being casual but being lazy, people don't explore what their profession can do and then complain about not being able to beat simple events.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

hope they dont leave rightaway... once they look at the rewards and the exclusive skins, they might atleast try to do their best I guess... why would anet give free exclusive weapon skins for just a minimal grindy event(first kill one skin, 10 kills next skin)? their intent is good.. i appreciate it.. hope this event brings more ppl to try it out and get interested in game mechanics

Well, you would hope ... but it doesn't work for raids so I don't see why it would work for anything else. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Casual friendly doesn't mean there shouldn't be harder content, learning curve or that everyone should get everything for chopping trees and holding 1. 

I know ... my complaint has nothing to do with if the content is hard or not though to be fair, I didn't explain myself all that well to begin with. 

Content is not casual friendly because of the same reasons raids aren't. Timing, scheduling and 'training' as some people put it. How likely do you think a casual player is just going to randomly log in and see an opportunity to do Marionette? Like, probably none because of how it's setup ... just like raids. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

It will never be an open world event because mounts exist. Stop asking.

However, making it a bi-hourly only boss that overlaps Dragonstorm and most other metas really sucks. And the public version won't be available after the event.

Yeah that sucks, I hope they change their minds and continue with the public one and maybe fix the overlap.

21 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Casual friendly doesn't mean there shouldn't be harder conten

there is. fractals, raid and strike missions. even some of the open world events are currently too hard for casuals and fail on a regular  bases. if they put more and more of this into the game, they are going to lose players.

i'm going to try this. when they are failing and failing because the other players cant play mechanics and do low dps i'm going to stop trying it. like the Vaabi Meta Event back then and that dragon thing in the cave on the new map. its pointless and a waste of time.

most players dont play events because they are nice. they play them because of easy reward and loot for the next big fashion  item.

Edited by Stalkingwolf.6035
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I know ... my complaint has nothing to do with if the content is hard or not though to be fair, I didn't explain myself all that well to begin with. 

Content is not casual friendly because of the same reasons raids aren't. Timing, scheduling and 'training' as some people put it. How likely do you think a casual player is just going to randomly log in and see an opportunity to do Marionette? Like, probably none because of how it's setup ... just like raids. 

Honestly, from what I've seen for now, the main problem seem to be people that just... not read -not even during the event, but right from the moment they join, where simple things like "leave instance", "don't enter instance" or "enter now" are apparently somehow too hard to grasp. This event doesn't require a lot of explaining or a lot of skill. I think simply adding the possibility to have 5 separate squads could help with communication and reduce the potential confusion of some of the players. And if it won't help someone? Well, not everyone can be helped, what can you do. It's definitely not a reason to dumb down whole content.

12 minutes ago, Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

there is.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I didn't write there isn't any. I wrote some people think there shouldn't be any because the 95% of the game is easy to the point of autoattacking bosses.

most players dont play events because they are nice. they play them because of easy reward and loot for the next big fashion  item.

So you're saying for those people no new content is needed, because they can stay on silverwastes and run riba 24/7 for rewards? Cool. They can keep doing that, I don't think anyone's against that. Seriously, there are easy repeated farms for players that want that and there are even some that aren't as dated as sw, that was just an example.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Honestly, from what I've seen for now, the main problem seem to be people that just... not read 

Yeah, there are also the OTHER typical problems with 50-man raids on TOP of the issues that make it not casual friendly as well. But hey ... don't let my complaints about it spoil the fun of all ... that. If people want to convince themselves THIS is the kind of content the game should have, then people should continue to call me a troll and apply their confused-faced emoji's on the VERY reasonable assessments of this boss implementation that it's not casual friendly content.

Again, my issue here ISN'T the difficulty, just like it's not my issue with Raids. The implementation is a barrier to casual participation. Honestly, good or bad, I hope Anet is paying attention to how this pans out as to what is good or bad direction for content to take (not like we don't already HAVE that indication from raids ... but the corporate memory is probably got lots of turn over.)

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

It's the first day, we still have to understand how it works. I don't think that it's particularly difficult (the strike mission in Snowden Drift was/is more difficult for me). Even not all the commanders apparently know how it works yet. I found myself alone in one platform and they told me that it's normal in phase one (even if I saw other platforms with 2 players).

The problem is that when you have to learn these (few) things in a solo or 5-man instance, it's not a big deal. Here, if 3-4 people out of 50 fail, it's a waste of time for everyone. But right now I think there are way more than 3-4 unexperienced players per run, so I'm confident it will improve in the next days.

I have to thank all the players who try to explain what they know before starting. It happened that the commander gave some wrong information (because they probably always fought the same lane), but other players said "no, not all the bosses are the same, you don't have to hit them all from behind, lane 4 has mines, 5 has black powder). It's a pity to lose because 1 platform fail, better to spend few minutes to give some info before, isn't it?

Edited by Urud.4925

I do hope ArenaNet continues to add this type of content to incentivize people to play the game and learn their skills. We have been in this situation "but the casuals" for too long and since then we have gone down the hill. People come, see the game and its ridiculously easy content and leave. Guild Wars 2 is far superior to FFXIV and yet we are not in a good situation as them but FFXIV focuses on good content such as dungeons and raids while Guild Wars 2 focus on story missions where you can bypass with auto-attacks.

6 minutes ago, Kilty.4906 said:

I do hope ArenaNet continues to add this type of content to incentivize people to play the game and learn their skills. We have been in this situation "but the casuals" for too long and since then we have gone down the hill. People come, see the game and its ridiculously easy content and leave. Guild Wars 2 is far superior to FFXIV and yet we are not in a good situation as them but FFXIV focuses on good content such as dungeons and raids while Guild Wars 2 focus on story missions where you can bypass with auto-attacks.

I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan of this kind of content (instanced content for huge squads). But I can see that it does have some appeal. However, I think there is a fine line between incentivising and discouraging people from playing. The fact that it's more challenging in itself won't incentivise anyone to play. The rewards need to be there. Too many fails, and people simply can't be bothered.

• Like 3