Public version of Marionette fight not only for one week

I agree, I'd like to see the public event stick around. However, it may decline in popularity no matter what, once it's novelty has worn off and people start completing their achievements.

I'd actually prefer a reoccurring "event" that lasts a week every 3 months or so, or a yearly event that lasts one month, each time mixing up the community awards and Black Lion skins with each iteration. 

It is fun to have so many members of the community hitting a big boss event like this. Part of me think's its limited nature makes it a bit more fun and kinda funnels more player numbers into the event.

• Like 3

Wasn't the exact reason they threw the concept of "living world" overboard that people who weren't able to play the content in the given timeframe would miss it entirely?

I don't even have time to participate in the event this week. And i don't want to bother organizing a 50 people squad everytime i want to do it in the future.

• Like 3

Yes, the public version should remain.  I have done 6 private instance groups, all failed.  The private instance requires a bit more dedication and awareness to get done, since all the 6 groups i was in would do frustrating things.  The tag commander spends 10 minutes explaining the lanes, the fight, the bosses, and ppl still do what they want.  there is little margin for error.  10 per lane to get 2 per platform, so what happens a lot is 11 ppl go in, now 1 lane is short.  If 1 person dies, that platform is now at serious risk of failing that lane.  One lane fails and ppl start rage-quitting instance, and the list goes on about ppl not doing the mechanics as recommended for each of the fights, and so on with the instance failing for one reason or another, and a lot of times, 1 person can put the map in jeopardy just by not getting to the platforms in their assigned lane.  For a 50 person squad, that is crazy. Plus, this is not a fight to bring your support/no dps build.  Things have to get killed and you may be the only one to do it on a platform since there is no one else or the other one died, so decent dps is needed.  As far as i can tell, the private instance version as currently configured is possibly scaled up more than the public and will generally take ppl who can follow commands, get organized and such, meaning that i understand why some lfg's want to see KP, titles, etc.  To get those, you generally learn the stuff you need to know in raids, fractals, etc. 

The public version though with an 80 cap, with 3 min possible per platform has that extra safety margin (or is slightly scaled down since they seem way easier than the private version), and even with ppl not knowing what to do it gets done so far. 

If they get rid of public version, i can see the 50 person private instance getting to a point where it is rarely being done unless maybe some static-type groups form up or only run at special times.   I don't see the raid/T4 CM fractal ppl wanting to go in with true pugs and put up with fails, plus if the loot isn't good enough, the raid/T4 CM ppl won't even continue doing it probably.  I have heard a 50 person scourge squad approach has worked multiple times, which begs for an issue with balance (I am not trying to dis scourges, i play one myself).

While I would like to continue doing the marionette fight, i can't see being all that interested in making it a regular thing if its a private instance, 50 person only squad, it is getting too frustrating right now.  At this point, sorry, but i am happy just to get it done in the public version, and hope the public version stays.

Update:  Ok, did two more Public versions (late night).   had plenty of ppl in first one and succeeded, but ppl dont spread out, have like 20 go in one lane and 9 in another, and ppl wont join tags so you don't really know lane numbers.  Pleading for them to join tags doesn't seem to work and actually can get ppl in squad to leave it.  (The 9 person lane failed, someone tried to solo warden III themself but ran out of time. You really do need the 80 to account for ppl just not paying attention or caring enough.  the 2nd public was worse, may have not been a full map, but lane 1 failed cause no one went there first off, got lane 1 up to 10 ppl, some lanes much better on numbers, and then by the time it wraps around 1 again, lane 1 is now down to 6 ppl and 4 platforms are trying to solo, 3 succeed and the 4th the person there died, killing meta.  ppl started leaving for some reason mid-way through meta when we were still ok, or they went afk.  all lanes started leaking and i dont know why ppl left, we still had a good chance of winning even with 10 ppl in a lane minimum.  It goes back to ppl not wanting to do something if its not guaranteed.  I don't mind losing, but i hate it when other ppl give up at the first sign of failure.  ("Oh one lane failed, let's leave now.") At least try.

Update #2:  apparently a number of the ppl who know what to do are not showing up anymore.  had like 3 of the last 4 public fail, one wasn't a full map, but still had enough for 10 ppl to a lane, but the other 3 full maps are failing too.  Biggest causes in my opinion,  ppl not paying attention and ppl leaving lanes.  The ppl not paying attention part is when its your lane's turn, watch for the countdown timer and move up to center by zero.  most of the time more than half the ppl are still at bottom of lane fighting portal spawn.  I'm trying to squad chat, map chat, ping and it takes forever for them to get to platforms.  Im on warden #1 myself solo for 30 sec before suddenly two other ppl appear.  sorry, i cant solo warden #1 when you have to get behind it to damage it.  That lane is the worst for ppl not paying attention.  Similar in all lanes, you can tell them till you're blue in the face and ppl dont move up.  I wouldn't mind an automatic pull to center if you are in lane.  As to ppl leaving, still a big issue, full public map, one lane fails and suddenly your lane's 15 squad dives to 10 or 5 ppl, and when it comes around to you again its almost a certain fail.  The ppl leaving are basically guaranteeing the fail.  Some may be leaving for achievement in another lane, but still, even in public version this fight is no gimme, ppl need to care about to whole meta to some degree, not just themselves (tall order i know).  I will add to the not paying attention part is that some ppl still don't seem to have a clue how to fight some of the wardens.  With the lack of ppl paying attention to chat, i know its hard to inform them.

Edited by DeadMeat.8724
Update
  • Like 4

I did 3/3 failed private at day 1. In the last 2 days I think out of the first 3 public ones ... 2 failed and 1 completed. After that most of the tries in public completed easily.

I can see that with the limited special rewards ... public is necessary. But even after that we still have the permanent achievements ... and especially the ones for avoiding the special attack that will also need completion of the specific laine/chain event ... might get a lot harder. (Also the ones for completing a full run.) If in private only 2 players per platform are possible (if bad planning then only 1) - and if you consider that private might be played a lot less later.

Should be imo at least on a similar rotatoin than the hard world bosses. If not every 2 hours then maybe every 3-5 hours at some specific slots.

Doesn't matter how it is timed towards the Dragonstorm. Since this is more similar to the old world bosses. (I guess back then they even had this in Lornar's Pass map directly?)

• Like 3

@Rasgalinj.2763Public version is every 2 hours at xx:00 - check near the Scrying Pool in EotN if it is the even or odd hours in your timezone. Last one was 1:05 hours ago from now. It also shows in the UI as meta event box that you can join. And if you try to join at that hour (unlocks directly at :00 I think until :20 - the next 20 minutes) it will offer public version.

Edit: Wiki has the timer:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Twisted_Marionette

Edited by Luthan.5236

1 minute ago, Luthan.5236 said:

@Rasgalinj.2763Public version is every 2 hours at xx:00 - check near the Scrying Pool in EotN if it is the even or odd hours in your timezone. Last one was 1:05 hours ago from now. It also shows in the UI as meta event box that you can join. And if you try to join at that hour (unlocks directly at :00 I think until :20 - the next 20 minutes) it will offer public version.

Edit: Wiki has the timer:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Twisted_Marionette

Cheers! Guess I'll try it out later then.

After 6 or so private tries (all fails) and 1 public run (succes), I'm all for a permanent public version.

The private version approved all my concerns I had from the experience of the original event back in the days. The restriction to 50 players makes you way to reliant on way too many other factors beyond your control, it's simply no fun.

Ever solo'd a platform just to be forced to watch the 2-3 guys on the one next one fail, without a chance to help them (I don't count the new SAK here, it just helps to keep them alive, which is meaningless if they can't kill)? Then you know what I'm talking about.

There's already lfg's asking for 200+LI for a rather simply open world boss, I doubt this was the intention behind bringing the marionette back.

• Like 2