WvW Taking prisoners [Suggestion]

Add taking prisoners to WvW 

When you are taken prisoner, you will be send to spawn and cannot exit for X amount of time, when you are downed or down a player, you can choose to F (finished off the player) or (another button) send them to time out (taken prisoner) send to spawn for time (suitable interval)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 9

In a blob vs blob situation, who rez their team mate fast is vital, if you don't, they will be taken  prisoners, and if your enemy is clever they send your commander to prison (spawn, holding pen even if it is for 1 minute)" it's about team work. see. you would have won.

BTW sending to another map without a time out is okay too. 

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I've seen people complaining about the death and respawn cycle because they spend too much time coming back to the fight (the same people who also complain about the warclaw lol).

I can't even begin to imagine the rivers of salt if they were taken prisoners.

And while I really like improvements and additions that make game modes evolve, I don't think this idea is compatible with GW2. I join WvW to fight, capture or defend, and if I die I just wanna go back ASAP. Not a fan of being captured.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I've seen people complaining about the death and respawn cycle because they spend too much time coming back to the fight (the same people who also complain about the warclaw lol).

Source?

As someone who does not like the addition of the warclaw and have been involved in most threads about it, one of the MAIN points about how it was breaking WvW was because it allowed people to come back to fast, not that it took to much time. Also the added speed in owned areas also made it impossible to get a fight and added WAY to much mobility to the side that already owned everything. This was the most complained about issue for those who didn't like warclaw and because of that it was nerfed.

• Like 1

Decades ago (yeah yeah, I'm old) I played a MUD that had a system similar to this.  The world was open Pkill & Psteal.  If you were caught, you were "tried" by the court system, and if you were found guilty and couldn't pay the fine (which increased exponentially for each crime committed), you were A) imprisoned or B) imprisoned and tortured (meaning you lost stats, which you had to pay to regain). 

In this game, the time doled out for your imprisonment ONLY ran off while in-game.  For the players who would routinely run afoul of this system, the easiest solution was to run a bot program that kept their characters actively online all day while they were doing something else.

Point is, if a system like this were ever implemented, all it would succeed in doing is encouraging the players to run bots to run off their "imprisonment" time.  While in theory it sounds like something interesting, in actuality it would only result in further depopulating WvW or encouraging cheating.

Edited by Ronin.4501
Added paragraph breaks.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i'm rofl'ing over here yet...

so we can just farm people with a 20ish group and send them all to JAIL xDD one single good guild of 25-30 players could easily dominate a map with this magnificent idea.

____

another thing that would be okay, would be some sorta timeout after one dies. then again, that would also harm the dynamic of the Wvw system. could be abused too easily, by some trolls pulling people and ganking them, to force them to get 5min timeouts each time - so just no, thanks

Didn't Archeage have a jailing system if you got caught pk'ing?

In any case, any sort of "time out" will always have a negative impact on player experience. Much like no down state, I'm sure those same people will be against getting timed out, they'll just lose interest and stop playing wvw.

If you got your finisher out and you force them to go back to spawn, just be happy you killed them and move on. I don't know why people need to attach all these other punishments on enemies like losing gear, or apply stat penalties, or force them from the map, or forcing them from playing, or making them quit, to make themselves feel good about their kills.

• Like 2

In general players do NOT enjoy having control of their character taken away from them.

This can be as basic as being hit by skills which take away control from them, aka crowd control. Or as complex as systems which interfere with what a player wants to spend their time on.

Case in point, older MMORPGs had way more extreme crowd control abilities. DAoC had spells which put your player to sleep for 40+ seconds right in the middle of a fight (with wake up on damage taken) and even stuns would be as long as 7 seconds (imagine having someone wailing on you for 7 seconds uninterrupted before you could even respond). Even WoW's crowd control system seem draconic compared to other more modern MMORPGs. Being "sheeped" for 15 seconds seems like an eternity by other games standards.

The same is true for imposed time-outs. Always consider what you are incentivizing with a design decision. A simple time-out incentivized players to step away from the game, not something you might want to do as developer OR experience as a player.

Having said that, let's think outside the box and expand upon the idea for a moment. What incentives could there be implemented alongside a "time-out" system? (I will be assuming the major goal here is to prevent players from immediately rushing back into the fight as to deal with spawn running etc. Not taking any sides here but let's run with this thought for a second). It would have to be something that is somewhat enjoyable or meaningful which captivates the players attention (moving away from making this a pure penalizing system. Having been sent to spawn already is a penalty in its self).

Example:

What if players who are in "time-out", we could call it battle fatigued, could spend a few minutes in raising global supply or improve faction owned structures via some upgrade system? Or be in charge of siege and siege construction, something which currently is purely voluntary yet required. That's within the given system we have and not even considering expanding upon the idea.

Example 2:

Again within the current system, what if battle fatigued players were able to create supply in structures, let's assume they are rationing existing supply as reasoning for this. Obviously far less supply than via dolyaks running in, otherwise this could seriously impact other balance. The net result here would be: defenders would be less staffed as they are whittled down, another issue tackled given equal number defenders have an advantage against attackers, yet at the same time the fatigued players can still help the war effort. Meanwhile attackers are incentivized to reduce defender numbers, prevent dolyak supplies from entering as well as continue pressuring defenders supply. Could make for an interesting siege warfare cycle.

TL;DR:

Forcing not fun behavior on players or taking away their control over their character/gameplay is not a good idea. The idea would require a lot of expanding upon to make it work.

Edited by Cyninja.2954

You would also just encourage more players to roam on thieves more than everything else (safest and easiest class to get finishers off in multiple ways), or even more so in packs that would prey on smaller groups or singles, yes even more than they do these days. Because rolling singles over with a group to get them a time out at spawn for however long, would be "funny". Could imagine would even increase the trolling whispers, because again, "funny".

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that WvW is already toxic af, with your idea that would be quite, well, bad.
There's kitten load of trolls and toxic people that would simply abuse this mechanic into oblivion just to make you angry, like AMX or SA guilds.
Some would even go and gank enemy commanders to just "imprison him".
So overall it's quite bad idea.

Some of you have problem comprehending this, its not imprison forever, send to spawn or penalty pen  for X amount of time or to another map (no timer)

Elaborated version: 

This could become another mode altogether for GvG . 

The elimination game. 
Send to spawn for X amount of time when you down. 
If you still have players in the field (map) you can respawn. 
When all players in your squad is dead your guild is out. 
Map will shrinks, so you cannot hide in places to troll,  - considering there are perma stealth thief  and mesmer. 

last man/squad standing wins.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 4

59 minutes ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

Some of you have problem comprehending this, its not imprison forever, send to spawn or penalty pen  for X amount of time or to another map (no timer)

Elaborated version: 

This could become another mode altogether for GvG . 

The elimination game. 
Send to spawn for X amount of time when you down. 
If you still have players in the field (map) you can respawn. 
When all players in your squad is dead your guild is out. 
Map will shrinks, so you cannot hide in places to troll,  - considering there are perma stealth thief  and mesmer. 

last man/squad standing wins.

Just because people point out that an idea is bad doesn't mean they don't comprehend the topic at hand. It means they don't like the idea and are presenting the issues with such a system, including that jail systems in other games are often hated by the majority of the player base.

5 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

Some of you have problem comprehending this

No one is having a problem comprehending this. It's just not a good idea.

1. Anything that removes player agency is a game killer. People do not spend money on games that do not allow them to play the characters they want, when they want them, in the way that they want them.
  2. This would massively magnify the existing problems with blobs, would kill roaming, reduce pug play in WvW, and allow large guilds to basically lock down entire servers.

This idea has literally only downsides.

Now, if it were an entirely different game mode? That might be interesting to explore. But as a standard wvw feature? That's a no, dawg.

Edited by Dao Jones.6720
  • Thanks 2