Is there a way to report cheats / hacks in WvW ?

Eclipsiste.3251

Hi everyone,

This is not a rant / whine thread. I honestly wonder how it's possible to report someone when you have proof they cheat.

I have screenshots of players running below the map to destroy defenses inside towers and keeps, or keeping them perma contested by attacking guards / lords from below...

I have images of players teleporting away (not thieves, and reall FAR away, like 2500 range in one jump) when they're down.... Or becoming "out of range" as soon as they're down (even when they're at one's feet)

I have screens of players sporting a permanent 25 stacks of EVERY buffs (including buffs specific to other classes) while running solo...

None of these examples fit the list of report options, but all of them are ruining the game.

I know I'm not the first to bring this here, but with new "ambitions" for WvW could it be possible to change things about that?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There is a forum here somewhere that you can report these things to.  The problem is that there just go into a big black hole.  I’ve reported to the proper forum with screen shots etc and nothing happens.  I stopped wasting my time with reports.    Just watch for the comments here because this is about the only type of response you’ll likely get.  

5 hours ago, Eclipsiste.3251 said:

Hi everyone,

This is not a rant / whine thread. I honestly wonder how it's possible to report someone when you have proof they cheat.

I have screenshots of players running below the map to destroy defenses inside towers and keeps, or keeping them perma contested by attacking guards / lords from below...

I have images of players teleporting away (not thieves, and reall FAR away, like 2500 range in one jump) when they're down.... Or becoming "out of range" as soon as they're down (even when they're at one's feet)

I have screens of players sporting a permanent 25 stacks of EVERY buffs (including buffs specific to other classes) while running solo...

None of these examples fit the list of report options, but all of them are ruining the game.

I know I'm not the first to bring this here, but with new "ambitions" for WvW could it be possible to change things about that?

Check list
1) Take video of the incident.  *a ask the moderator how they want the video deliver tothem

2) Time/Date (I use server time on my game) 
3) Map the incident happened.
4) Location on map - which tower/keep/open area incident happened.

5) Name of the offending players ( this one is a mystery to me since Anet doesn't allow us see the name tag of enemy).

Open support ticket 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eclipsiste.3251 said:

Sounds like a similar hack in PvE where players (or bots?) teleport from node to node and farm them from below. An extra problem is that you can't select such player/bot, so you cant report them the "normal" way. You can make a screenshot, which shows the player's name and try to report it that way. But this is useless in WvW because enemy name's are never shown. 😥

• Like 1

The "Report Bot" feature in-game has been declared on a number of occasions by ANet as the way to report hacking players.

It's also much better than sending a ticket since it'll have the game log information surrounding the player in question at/near the time of submission.

I'm afraid you phrased the question incorrectly. 

"Is there a way to report cheats/hacks in WvW"  The answer is Yes.

But what you should have asked is...

"Is there a way to report cheats/hacks in WvW that actually results in the cheaters/hackers being punished and/or removed from the game."  No, not really.  Anet would have you believe they take these reports seriously, but as most veteran players will attest, you'll still see those same players in the game, day after day, month after month.  And where one player falls, 10 more will arise from their ashes with even more cheats/hacks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Eclipsiste.3251 said:

I always use the "report bot" option... But it seems strange.

I managed to screenshot the incriminated players with their names or tags visible though...

I don't know where to start looking so I unfortunately cannot provide a source, but I do recall reading that ANet has a policy of catching hackers red handed.
This means that instead of relying on player reports, they will need to witness the hacking first hand before they decide to ban. When reports come in en masse is when they're most likely to investigate, probably as an inconspicuous pug not repping the ANet tag. So it does do something to report, just that a lot of people need to do it.

They also often do "ban waves" (banning many, many players at once) which supposedly makes it more difficult for hackers to avoid. 

Although the last part is 100% true, I'm not totally positive of the first, only that I recall reading this. So take that with a grain of salt.

Well, I do assume they ban people somehow, because there would be a lot more if they didn't.

Problem is how do you identify them? They probably move too fast for you to click on them, so can't report them. All you'd get is a guild tag and server. 

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

From what I have seen over the years very few cheats or exploits ever get punished in WvW.  I've seen a mes sat on his mount get run over by a blob and not take a point of damage. Claimed he was using skills while on his mount :) that negated the damage. Fly hacks a plenty, under the map attacks on towers and keeps. A bot coming back to take a camp continually yesterday. And even last night a troll on an alt sits on a treb in a tower we were defending against a large blob so we couldn't take down their catas. Cheating is rife in WvW and far too few people get caught regardless of you reporting them or not.

Your best bet is to have something like Shadowplay or OBS instant replay going when playing and if you catch an obvious cheater hit save then send the most obvious video clip or clips of proof and their info to exploits@arena.net. 

That being said, Letoll isn't wrong. I suspect "all is vain". 

• 1 year later...

The problem with the cheating, especially in WvW, is the fact the cheaters can't really be stopped.  With years of programming experience, I refused to believe the type of super cheats I've seen in WvW were coming from everyday hackers and chalked it up to "ArenaNet Babies" toying with gamers.  God Mode should be impossible client-side, as well as a lot of other superior cheats I've seen.  Usually a hacker would have to get a virus/malware on the server-side and open up a worm-hole to hack through.  I doubted all that was happening so..."ArenaNet Babies" it is.

Turns out, the "ArenaNet Babies" might be more innocent than I initially thought.

A professional hacker posted a video online revealing how the super cheats were being done.  Turns out, the hackers are intercepting packets coming from the server-side, decrypting those packets, running a memory mod program and re-encrypting the packets...all probably while behind a VPN.

That kind of hack job is just as good as having access to the server-side, which is why I couldn't believe everyday hackers were doing the cheating and I was right.  The professional hacker that posted the video mention he/she was also selling the hack packet as a tool but did not provide any contact info.  I'm sure he/she is not selling the tool cheaply and yes, they are selling because I see players all the time going into God Mode or increasing their damage sky high in order to do a one hit kill on another player at full health.  Thieves are using it to be invisible as long as they want and do full heal ups or just stop themselves from taking damage all together.

I've seen so many super hack cheats now, I can't keep up with them all anymore.

What gets me is this....  Most players who have been playing GW2 for years now probably have every single class under their account and probably tried all the Meta Builds if they're in WvW.  With that said, you know what every class can do and what's possible so when you see something you know is NOT possible with a certain class, that's a red flag...you know it's a hacker but yet these hackers want you to believe it's normal and they're just that good.

There would have to be some God Gear in-game that's greater than Legendary in order to do what the hackers do and there is no such gear (and such a gear would finish off GW2).

Given how the professional hackers are hacking...  There's probably nothing much the "Devs" can do.

Can you get around packet decrypting?  Yes.  Can you make an MMORPG un-hackable?  YES!  I know how to stop all such hacking and make an mmorpg un-hackable but it's something that would need to be implemented from the start of game development and I'm afraid GW2's source code has no such security measures.

Just yesterday I was in WvW and spooked an enemy player when I spectral walked into their base area.  He was a ranger  and not ready so he teleported away (total vanish and reappear) and then fired a single shot that would have been a one hit kill but as a Necro, my shroud activates on killing blows.  My Necro has a planet-load of Health, Toughness and Carapace stacks were active and NEVER takes a one hit kill.  You would have to have a power attribute that's not obtainable by any normal means to pull off a one hit kill against a tanky toon as such.

Stuff like that is hard to catch when Zergs are going at it and shots are coming from every where but just pay attention...  You'll eventually catch players who are using the professional hack tools being secretly sold on the net....or maybe they're using their own.  You really don't know who's behind a toon and they could be highly educated in computer science and hacking the crap 'outta ya.'

That's why I think about hacking and security everytime I start a project and when I'm done with a project, it's 'unhackable', always.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:58 PM, DeceiverX.8361 said:

The "Report Bot" feature in-game has been declared on a number of occasions by ANet as the way to report hacking players.

It's also much better than sending a ticket since it'll have the game log information surrounding the player in question at/near the time of submission.

They don't action those.  You have to submit multiple videos through a ticket, or they will do nothing.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:50 AM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Well, I do assume they ban people somehow, because there would be a lot more if they didn't.

Problem is how do you identify them? They probably move too fast for you to click on them, so can't report them. All you'd get is a guild tag and server. 

I saw someone with a speedhack during the beta, it wasn't the graceful swallow you expect it to be, it was janky and blinky.

• Like 1

When you see someone being attacked by 7 people yet they are unaffected by any CC as they literally  run across the map.

Or the ranger I found who sniff range away (5000) , then came right back to be before I could get 900 range, we fought again before he again ran half a mile away so he wouldn't die... over and over and over....