Is Condition Damage useless in WvW?

aaron.7850

Because simply put, power damage scales exponentially better above 1v1. Condi damage is competetive 1v1 - even though all classes basicly have as good or better power builds - but as soon as you go 2+ its pretty much all power. Its still possible to run condi in small scale of course. On top of this, AoE condi cleansing also scales exponentially better above 1v1 which further adds to it.

This is just the nature of condi no matter how much people cry about it on the forums. Most of the time when a condi build is "strong" its not even because of the condi damage itself, but rather class mechanics that make them able to do extreme sustain (a condi necro being one of the easiest examples).

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

It's pretty much entirely because AoE cleansing is super easy to stack on what are otherwise very support-heavy builds for important things like AoE stability/protection.

If AoE cleansing didn't exist then condi would dominate the ZvZ scene by virtue of how much sustain condition builds can get otherwise.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

The issue with zerging with condi is that everyone has to commit to it. Since cleanses overlap very easily, a few condi damage dealers are easily overcome by support where everyone dealing condi damage might be overwhelming.

I think the other oft understated aspect is that Power builds generally overlap very nicely with PvE gear choices. Run marauders trinkets instead of zerk on your Herald and poof. Condi doesn't have that power because PvE condi and WvW condi are totally different animals. So it's easy to see why one is more popular even if both are roughly the same effectiveness (though power has a small edge).

• Like 1

For people confused about Dawdlers comment, I’ll clear up perhaps what he is saying.

When you and 80 other friends apply conditions to an single enemy, those conditions stack on top of each other, and a single cleanse, can undo the work of those 80 players…much like how a block can potentially nullify damage from an infinite number of targets…a condition cleanse can nullify conditions applied from an infinite number of condition applicants.

Because there are more condition cleanses available in the game than there are blocks, conditions tend to have more counter play readily available in large scales, than power because of the access to said cleanses.

By and large, the correlation between exponential scaling of abilities in a fight is based on the number of targets abilities apply to (and a few other things) but not whether it’s power or condition.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Condi was meta multiple times during Hot and it was one of the 3 biggest reason people left this game. 

Believe me, every second Condi isn't viable is a gods blessing. 

Partially true, it became true meta due to one single skill Anet buffed through the roof - deathly chill. Which *technically* again wasnt so much due to condition damage, but the way the reaper shroud and spin to win stacking of bleeds worked.

And of course people will be confused with what I said. Because CoNdI oP.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Partially true, it became true meta due to one single skill Anet buffed through the roof - deathly chill. Which *technically* again wasnt so much due to condition damage, but the way the reaper shroud and spin to win stacking of bleeds worked.

And of course people will be confused with what I said. Because CoNdI oP.

What I meant was that it was meta multiple times because Hot was a constant filpflop between power and condi meta. 

Also are we forgetting about Condi Guard Cele meta that was so op it was nerfed like 2 weeks after people started playing it? 

Condi Stealth meta? 

Anti Dmg reduction meta? (Condi) 

Epidemic meta.?

Condi Shout meta? 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What I meant was that it was meta multiple times because Hot was a constant filpflop between power and condi meta. 

Also are we forgetting about Condi Guard Cele meta that was so op it was nerfed like 2 weeks after people started playing it? 

Condi Stealth meta? 

Anti Dmg reduction meta? (Condi) 

Epidemic meta.?

Condi Shout meta? 

Rat Wells pre-HoT was good times, lmao.

Venom Share Thief with Well Necro to AOE Stun + Immob/Condi. I remember how many people considered it the lowest of the low if anyone was using that comp.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Condi bunker beats > power bunker beats > power burst beats > condi bunker.

// rock paper scissors

Condi burst is equal to power burst - same strengths and same weaknesses.

Cleanses are strong in the blob, but so are also corrupts and condi stacks (where condi transforms from a dot to a burst that ignores armor and protection).

A viable condi composition requires more organisation, which automatically makes it unviable for a pug blob as simplicity is key in this scenario.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Well.....

I would post the epic rap battle with hulk hogan vs kim jong-il, but I'm not sure the "forums" will like that, but can look it up on youtube.

Kim Jong Il doesnt inflict condition damage unless you count starvation as a condition.

On 7/21/2021 at 4:41 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

YES! Nobody is saying otherwise. 

I only say I'm thankful that Scrapper is op because I never want to play a condi meta in my life ever again. 

Scrapers are the extreme oposite of the condi meta(they are part of the condi anti-meta gameplay).

OP but balanced at the same time :S due the oposite classes.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

I don't know if I'm convinced by the argument that conditions are cleansed too often and too instantaneously for them to make a difference just because I can see the occasional burn guardian topping arcdps damage. Yes, burning might get cleansed, but they still dealt damage, right? What is the difference between a 5k spike from a power herald vs a 5k burn tick from a burn guardian? 

Now if you said that all that burning gets converted to aegis such that the overall damage of your zerg is lowered due to all the blocks, then I'd buy that. Or if all the torment gets converted to might such that the enemy zerg is hitting way harder than they should and that the torment damage isn't worth it, then I'd buy that. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lordmeowalot.8135 said:

What is the difference between a 5k spike from a power herald vs a 5k burn tick from a burn guardian? 

At 1200 range, how much do you need to do on a burn guard to get ~15 or so burn stacks to do 5k/s compared to autoattacking once on a hammer rev?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

At 1200 range, how much do you need to do on a burn guard to get ~15 or so burn stacks to do 5k/s compared to autoattacking once on a hammer rev?

If the burn guard is consistently out dps-ing the revenant, does it matter?

I'm trying to answer the question, "is condition damage useless in wvw?". If some condition builds consistently (or are able to) match or out-dps many other builds/players, regardless of how much effort it takes, how can the statement that it's cleansed too often/instantly be true?

It's probably true though that because of the ramp-up, condition damage is less consistent than power so it's not as reliable.

Edited by lordmeowalot.8135