Twisted Marionette Update

Great news all around. No nerfs, keeping it challenging AND finally making it easier for squad leaders to make groups and make public events more successful by not starting the event when there are too few people present. Win for everybody. Nice that the public is permanent too, however I do think the amount of players doing it might go down after a few months.

Edited by Jokuc.3478
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ZionGal.3768 said:

I agree, rewards should be included, because the achievements won't keep it alive. For a new player they are not easy to obtain but eventually people will get them and the instance will die out, this will not happen if good and interesting rewards are added. Also thanks for bringing public back, private is way too hard for players with regular gear.

I really think people will get burned out on it ones that new event smell wears off or the next shiny new one comes along. This is why I posted that I thought it should have been an event connected to the Festival of the Four Winds. It'd take it a few years of festivals before people start complaining about not having anything new in it.

Great news, I didn't actually get a chance to have a successful run due to life and timing being what it is, but I am really glad that it will be what it is.

Better for the game overall and will let it be played well into EoD.

So glad to see that old blacklion skins are being used in game as rewards too, smart use of resources.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tulki.1458 said:

Loving the increased level of communication with the community lately and responding to feedback so quickly.

I'm also liking the jab at the fact that success rates have increased substantially after launch. This is an obvious indicator that "too hard" group content is actually a good level to target. Challenging players will make them get better, and then we can all have more interesting encounters.

If memory serves me right (and it is not just tinted glasses I use) the original Marionette event helped a lot in improving the skill of the general player base back in 2014.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Atille.5047 said:

It really needs some more worthwhile rewards. It's not a fast fight even at it's best, and it's quite involved - it's only fair it'd be more rewarding than 2 liquid gold and a handful of sprokets. 

It's only a bit shorter than the boring Dragonstorm encounter, but the latter offers a very slim chance of an infusion pre-cursor and a unique weapon skin, which keeps people coming back daily.

On the other hand, you could argue that those drops are so rare, they don't really count - but that also goes for other big events (e.g., TD, Tarir). I've also never seen the rare chair drop in the Shiverpeaks Pass strike mission, and I used to do strikes a lot.

So, whatever they add, the chances of getting it would probably be close to non-existent. Then again, that's probably enough for most (including myself) to feel an additional incentive. :classic_wink:

1 hour ago, Rose Solane.1027 said:

If memory serves me right (and it is not just tinted glasses I use) the original Marionette event helped a lot in improving the skill of the general player base back in 2014.

No. It was meant to help that (according to dev statements at that time), but it mostly failed in that regard.

@Ashantara.8731

I believe most of those events are being done just because they have good dependable rewards compared to the effort involved. Tarir, for example, was being done well before the infusion drop was added to loot tables.

Personally the super rare stuff never moved me at all, because i know i can't count on it ever dropping for me.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tekoneiric.6817 said:

I really think people will get burned out on it ones that new event smell wears off or the next shiny new one comes along. This is why I posted that I thought it should have been an event connected to the Festival of the Four Winds. It'd take it a few years of festivals before people start complaining about not having anything new in it.

If they keep the two gold daily players will do it. Alot of my guildies where verrrrryyyyy happy to be able to make 8g a day.

• Like 1

I did not realise it was a temporary thing and was upset it was gone yesterday when I tried to go for it!

From the announcement I don't quite understand the new system... people have to idle in the instance in the hope it will pop? that seems unlikely better just say 'it starts at X time... be there or miss it' then you can plan around the event... or have I misunderstood?

18 minutes ago, Fragglerock.4965 said:

people have to idle in the instance in the hope it will pop? that seems unlikely better just say 'it starts at X time... be there or miss it' then you can plan around the event... or have I misunderstood?

People have to join the instance in sufficient numbers before it starts the instance countdown. Better than "be there or miss it", and the implied idling required for that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fragglerock.4965 said:

From the announcement I don't quite understand the new system... people have to idle in the instance in the hope it will pop? that seems unlikely better just say 'it starts at X time... be there or miss it' then you can plan around the event... or have I misunderstood?

Here's an example.  In the system we had last week, the event would start at (for example) 10:00.  As soon as the first person joined the instance, the countdown timer would begin.  More people are still joining, because it's the appointed time and people were waiting in EotN.  But, sometimes people take a while to load in and the timer might be near 0 by the time some people get in, giving them little or no time to prepare.

In the new system, people would still hang out in EotN leading up to 10:00, and would still enter the public instance as they did before, but the timer wouldn't start until "enough" people were in - at that point, the countdown timer starts giving everyone time to prepare.

If you're late getting to the Scrying Pool and load into an instance without enough people, you could (a) wait around hoping enough people show up, or (b) exit and wait for 12:00.  In the old system, the timer would still start, and you'd have no choice but to go with (b), or (c) start anyway and fail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mr OlsOn.7824 said:

Good news, hope you will also take another look on the rewards. Not much to come back for after you are done with the achievements.

It would be cool if they kept the current "finish" rewards -especially the 6 mystic coin bags. That would help level their price and would create constant demand for marionette groups., but I wish the lane mobs dropped a little bit of loot too. 

I've just seen this and I'm very happy you listened to players feedback and are keeping the public version around! 😄

I'll have to see how it works in practice but the planned changes sound good, especially not allowing the squad version to start until the commander says it ready.

2 hours ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

Here's an example.  In the system we had last week, the event would start at (for example) 10:00.  As soon as the first person joined the instance, the countdown timer would begin.  More people are still joining, because it's the appointed time and people were waiting in EotN.  But, sometimes people take a while to load in and the timer might be near 0 by the time some people get in, giving them little or no time to prepare.

In the new system, people would still hang out in EotN leading up to 10:00, and would still enter the public instance as they did before, but the timer wouldn't start until "enough" people were in - at that point, the countdown timer starts giving everyone time to prepare.

If you're late getting to the Scrying Pool and load into an instance without enough people, you could (a) wait around hoping enough people show up, or (b) exit and wait for 12:00.  In the old system, the timer would still start, and you'd have no choice but to go with (b), or (c) start anyway and fail.

That was me a lot of the time. I'd get to the EotN about 5-10 minutes before it was due to start, then I'd get distracted and miss the clock ticking over to the start time so I'd be a minute or so late going in, then for some reason the instance was always slow to load and between the two I'd have only just enough time to see which lane was still short of people and get there before the event started. The new version sounds a lot better.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to those changes and having a public option back. :classic_biggrin:

I wasted 1.5 hours getting a squad together tonight only to see it fail simply because some people couldn't stick to their appointed lane even though I asked them which lane they want to be assigned to before we entered and made groups for that purpose. I hate casual players like that with a passion - what a selfish mindset to screw up other people's effort and waste dozens of other players' time. 👎

I'm not going ot play the Marionette again until the public option is back; looks like a big chunk of players only functions on a timer. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2

Some players here actually have a point about lane assignments. Could there be some mechanics implemented to [count/funnel people to the lanes that need more hands] so it's easier to manage the encounter (especially the public one)? Individual tags are great, but not everyone follows them, so the situations where lack of people on any given lane leads to lane failing due to platforms being empty/understaffed occur too often for comfort. Even the private squad version has the inequal platform distribution issue causing lane/encounter failures.

Edited by ShadowDweller.6715
clarification
  • Like 2

Thank you for the update and thank you for listening to player feedback and acting upon it.

I think the most important lesson we all can take away from this is that sensible considered dialogue between the two sides is good.

Hopefully it can continue in the future.

Edited by Andy.5981

On 7/20/2021 at 12:27 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Hi all,

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Twisted Marionette bonus event this past week! We’ve been keeping a close eye on our internal analytics and the community discussions during the event, and we wanted to share what’s next for the Twisted Marionette.

The Marionette is a demanding fight and individual players have a huge impact on the outcome of the event. It requires significant coordination and collaboration – much more so than most of the other world events. We think it’s fair to say that it’s taken some players outside of their comfort zone. However, we’re happy to report that the community has risen to the challenge. Successful event completion rates continue to tick upward with each passing day and are nearly double what they were a week ago. The number of players participating in public encounters also increased every single day over the past week. We expect that these numbers will climb even higher, given the chance.

When we started planning to add the Twisted Marionette back to the game, we were concerned that the difficulty level and the player counts required for the encounter would make it challenging to keep in the event rotation. After reviewing the data we mentioned above, we’re feeling a lot better about it. While the Marionette’s public entry option will close today as planned, we’re going to make some changes to the encounter so we can bring it back into public rotation permanently.

• Squad Mode: We’re updating the event start timer to only begin after  the squad leader confirms that the group is ready inside the instance.
  • Public Mode: We’re updating the event start timer to only begin after a minimum number of players are present in the instance.

The updates will take some time to go through development and testing, but we’re hoping to get you back into the fight by late summer. Squad entry will remain accessible between now and then.

-The Live Team

you guys really need to make it so public is on at all times. you got people confused. people will walk up there and try to get in looking around wondering why no one is there. besides that i have a question. why even consider making everything only squad based to begin with. do you not know a big chunk of players are solo players?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1