Will Anet ever get rid of Downstate permanently?

5 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I'm ok with them removing downstate permanently in competitive modes.

But only if they add downstate to all humanoid enemies in PvE, just like the Toxic Alliance Sylvari had.
Even if it's a 30% chance to trigger when you fell an enemy.

I want to use my finishers and if they go bye bye in competitive modes then let me use them in PvE.

I'd be down with that.

• Like 1
On 7/21/2021 at 2:59 AM, Ragnar.4257 said:

Downstate as a concept is good. In principal it introduces some much needed decision making and tactical play.

If you're in a 2v2, and both sides have 1 go into down state simultaneously, it takes some good quick-thinking to assess whether you should go for the stomp, try to cleave, or go for the rez, and that can be won or lost by making the right/wrong decision, or even by making the right decision just 0.1s faster/slower than the other guy.

The only problem with rezzing at the moment is that it is possible to rez a team-mate in the face of 3+ enemies all trying to cleave it out, which is ridiculous. Even 1 person cleaving should be sufficient to deny a rez. You should only really be able to rez if the enemy has been driven away, put into downstate, CC'd, etc.

I think this is the main problem, not downstate itself. Downstate mechanic was fine in earlier years for example and cleaving and poisoning downed/rezzing enemies were viable tactics - now it is nearly pointless. If anything they need to look at balance of rezzing.

• Like 4

Downstate itself is not the issue, players feel cheated of a win when  you can constantly keep reviving allies with little to no risk and very little investment in the build.

Anet only needs to disable the free action "F to revive" while in combat for pvp modes (and maybe as end content PvE Hardmode). 

Traits, profession skills and runes will still work as intended, and those are easy to balance. Nothing else needs to be changed. 

"F to revive" is a PvE mechanic which should have never been brought to PvP modes. Anet recognized as much when the devs disabled reviving defeated players in WvW while in combat.  It is time to finish the half-solution they applied when they did that. 

• Confused 3
On 7/21/2021 at 1:59 AM, Ragnar.4257 said:

Downstate as a concept is good. In principal it introduces some much needed decision making and tactical play.

If you're in a 2v2, and both sides have 1 go into down state simultaneously, it takes some good quick-thinking to assess whether you should go for the stomp, try to cleave, or go for the rez, and that can be won or lost by making the right/wrong decision, or even by making the right decision just 0.1s faster/slower than the other guy.

The only problem with rezzing at the moment is that it is possible to rez a team-mate in the face of 3+ enemies all trying to cleave it out, which is ridiculous. Even 1 person cleaving should be sufficient to deny a rez. You should only really be able to rez if the enemy has been driven away, put into downstate, CC'd, etc.

This thread has gotten me thinking about downstate more as a mechanic.

I think a good middle ground would be 1 downstate per life (PvP) and just removing necros ability to self heal on downstate. 

Downstate should be focused more on abilities that apply status effects and getting away.

Yeah the rezzing is annoying, it's what I think breaks the flow of it, which lead to the thought of removing downstate altogether.  

Of course it's only speculation on how it would work until we saw it work and managed to see the information on how players play around this. It's a perspective we just lack.

Though I would also be interested to see how players would take to the option of ticking a box before you go into match-making. Just to see how it would effect the pace.