Fantasy politics are always more interesting than big dumb evil threats.

7 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

i no longer trust the game writers at all. Most of the good writers left after POF.

I would say they left after HOT, it's always a pleasure to go through HOT storyline until the free BL key.

Next week we are about to live a second time the catastrophy of balthazar story... Imo it's even worst than the icebrood saga. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, The Fear.3865 said:

I would say they left after HOT, it's always a pleasure to go through HOT storyline until the free BL key.

Next week we are about to live a second time the catastrophy of balthazar story... Imo it's even worst than the icebrood saga. 

Meanwhile im over here thinking the writers left after the personal story and ls1.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Fantasy politics sucks because it requires a writer who understands how political machinations work to write them. Most game writers are incapable of portraying that.

Since GoT, every studio has tried to jump on the bandwagon and farted out some "muddled grey" political stinkery into their games, and it's always so far off the mark that it ruins the storyline -- Skyrim, for example.

It's much easier to have a silly fantasy big baddie than to half-arsedly try to put modern history in amongst your world of magic-throwing robot dragon holograms. 

Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

11 hours ago, The Fear.3865 said:

I agree with you that it was done randomly, the gods deserved a whole different story much more complex.

However, I rather liked balthazar on POF, it was rather weak scriptwriting but at least it changed a bit because we weren't just talking about the dragon ..but I admit that it remains very very low compared to guild wars 1 😞

what was unforgivable in living story 3 was the slaughter of  lazarus potential . This is one of the stories I have been waiting  the most after gw1 and this legendary Mursaat dies in a kittening cave ... a shame.

joko and lazarus will remain the two most wasted villains in the history of the game.

that said, I quite liked living story 3, the maps, the story centered on something other than dragons, it was a breath of fresh air.

On the other hand; no nothing is worse than the saga, this crap has mutilated the soul of guild wars.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 7/23/2021 at 7:12 AM, Aodlop.1907 said:

Wasn't Jormag smart? 

Smart is a strong word, moreso when it decides to randomly put people into cryogenic sleep and paint a target on its back. A smart villain knows not to rock the boat, especially if they're practically immortal.

Is there anything about Jormag's plan that seems smart? They have done nothing but reaffirm they are an enemy to mortals and spends season 5 painting a target on their back. A smart villain would have reigned the sons of svanir in, waited a good 60 years for the norn of prophecy (or, at the very least, the three time reigning DRAGON slayer who killed the freaking god of WAR) to kick the bucket, and then begin their campaign of terror. 

Elder Dragons may be capable of free thought, but they aren't very smart, even by mortal standards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

For the whole Draco Ex Machina solution? Yes, definitely [/sarcasm]

To be fair, up till that point it was okay and thats from someone who absolutely despises joko and the way hes written.

Really wish anet would move away from just revisiting old areas, and obliterating old characters. 😕

After I did think a bit about it more I think the thing i am currently missing a little bit is not politics per se but factions interacting with each other and well doing something else then trying to kill the player ... i know that is hard to describe but currently it feels as if everything is just waiting for the player to arrive to the attack basically one after another ..... compare that with the beginning of PoF where you really felt like beeing thrown in a snakepit. With the three-way fight between Amnoon, Balthasar and Joko. The sunspears rebelling against the undead. Kralk lurking in the background. Troubles with the hamaseen in amnoon .... the world felt more alive ..... at least in my opinion.