Are there any types of builds that make Mesmer function the closest to the state it was in GW1?

SevlisBavles.3059

Lots of skill denial, low damage, cover hexes (in this case cover condis)? I used to run builds with Arcane Thievery, Shame, Guilt, Psychic Distraction, Power Block, etc. Echo Blackout was also a shitload of fun but obviously not as much depth and not was much timing required. I'd love to play a similar approach in GW2 if it's at all possible.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing the other day, but we can't really get the same effects.

For skill denial we have to use stuns and dazes; so invest on Domination trait and probably use pistol, and mantra of distraction. Use main hand sword if you are are doing this as a Mirage as well, since that ambush skill causes dazing.

For degen you would want to focus on confusion and torment as both of them cause extra damage for doing or not doing something similar to Backfire and Empathy in gw1. Chaos trait would help on that side.

Armor would be a condition/expertise set.

The thing though, particularly with skill denial, is that the consequences in gw2 are not as significant as in gw1 and skill activation are not as slow either. So we can't get the same satisfaction as that of a Power Block or Psychic Distraction  interruption.

I have to say tough. Looking up at old Mesmer skills, I can't believe some of them did not made it back into gw2. They could have some really cool effects. If only we weren't bound by clones.

17 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

I was thinking the same thing the other day, but we can't really get the same effects.

For skill denial we have to use stuns and dazes; so invest on Domination trait and probably use pistol, and mantra of distraction. Use main hand sword if you are are doing this as a Mirage as well, since that ambush skill causes dazing.

For degen you would want to focus on confusion and torment as both of them cause extra damage for doing or not doing something similar to Backfire and Empathy in gw1. Chaos trait would help on that side.

Armor would be a condition/expertise set.

The thing though, particularly with skill denial, is that the consequences in gw2 are not as significant as in gw1 and skill activation are not as slow either. So we can't get the same satisfaction as that of a Power Block or Psychic Distraction  interruption.

I have to say tough. Looking up at old Mesmer skills, I can't believe some of them did not made it back into gw2. They could have some really cool effects. If only we weren't bound by clones.

That is a great start, thank you 🙂

And yeah I have high hopes for EoD for some GW1 skills and maybe even mechanics to return.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:56 PM, SevlisBavles.3059 said:

Lots of skill denial, low damage, cover hexes (in this case cover condis)? I used to run builds with Arcane Thievery, Shame, Guilt, Psychic Distraction, Power Block, etc. Echo Blackout was also a shitload of fun but obviously not as much depth and not was much timing required. I'd love to play a similar approach in GW2 if it's at all possible.

Mirage/Duelist/Illusions

Scepter Pistol (This can be staff depending on match up)

Axe, Torch (or sword torch but you need to be good at interrupting with sword ambush to get the blind and confuse)

I'm speaking on pvp, there's no way to actually fail at pve.

Issue is no skill deny is gonna truly work with mesmer in its current form everything take super long to get up and you only have as much time as it takes to people to find you after you burn blink, decoy, distortion your likely gonna be killed by every class in the game unless you opt to run and wait for your CD's to rotate.

When you do opt to shatter it will blind but still, you'll understand if you play it.

Edited by Genesis.5169