Well GW2 has ruined me ☹

GW2 did not ruin any chance I might have had to enjoy a sub-based, gear progression game.  It was Guild Wars that did that.  What it did ruin was any possibility of enjoying global cooldown, rooted while using any but instant skills games.

Of course, GW2 ruined itself (for me).  How? 

1 Massive amounts of CC everywhere, with no attempt to provide a level playing field as far as counter play

2 Get-out-of-jail-free builds in PvP or in WvW Roaming

3 Visual effects spam which gets worse in any content where there are more than 2-3 players -- which is pretty much the game outside of story, exploration or PvP/roaming

4 Difficulty which is all over the place, starting with the mind-numbing boredom of too easy to downed-with-no-clue why.

These four "features" are barriers which stop me from enjoying the game as much as I might, and in some content, stop me from enjoying it at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

GW2 did not ruin any chance I might have had to enjoy a sub-based, gear progression game.  It was Guild Wars that did that.  What it did ruin was any possibility of enjoying global cooldown, rooted while using any but instant skills games.

Of course, GW2 ruined itself (for me).  How? 

1 Massive amounts of CC everywhere, with no attempt to provide a level playing field as far as counter play

2 Get-out-of-jail-free builds in PvP or in WvW Roaming

3 Visual effects spam which gets worse in any content where there are more than 2-3 players -- which is pretty much the game outside of story, exploration or PvP/roaming

4 Difficulty which is all over the place, starting with the mind-numbing boredom of too easy to downed-with-no-clue why.

These four "features" are barriers which stop me from enjoying the game as much as I might, and in some content, stop me from enjoying it at all.

There are issues in every game, I have not met one that dont have issues. The cc stuns overpowered classes skills builds are in every game. My god look at any games pvp forums you will see the same complaints I cant tell you how many people raged quit games like wow because of rogue stuns and warlock fears in pvp ect. I do agree with the visual spam on big fights though, im hoping for a slider to turn down player spell effects.

Difficulty actually seems normal to me in open world, bout the same as most games. I do think they need to focus on doing a better job balancing, a bit better storyline gameplay, make some areas of content worth running again like dungeons. This is where the idea of open world pve legendary armor comes in.  Gaining a set of armor through the most played mode of the game is not unreasonable to ask. Not asking for freebies here, im asking for a investment in a journey to create a legendary set by doing world collection, world boss achievements like the one for shatterer and others, doing dungeon paths to gain some of the things needed to make it. It can be just as long and intense a grind as the other legendary sets, only done through the open world mostly.

Jeebus do you know what a fantastic game this would be if they did just a few of those things.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

If we're going to judge grinds by your time metric, then pretty much no game would have a grind in your mind....

People have different tolerance levels, you're going to always get a different answer for grinds.

Not really true in my case--I never got any of the super grindy titles in GW1 (like GWaMM) and I played that game on and off what was it 6-7 years before GW2 came out? 

• Like 1

For me GW2 will always be the game where I log in for 30 sec, grab my daily rewards, then close the game and go play other, real games.

GW2 has beautiful world, amazing character movement and a little above average combat. But once you finish your story, your elite spec skills, your ascended gear, done some world exploring... you realise that you hit the peak. There really is nothing else to do.

//gw2 is a casual game. Everything about this game is casual and always will be. This is why it's hard to take this game seriously.

Edited by CashCow.9548
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CashCow.9548 said:

GW2 has beautiful world, amazing character movement and a little above average combat. But once you finish your story, your elite spec skills, your ascended gear, done some world exploring... you realise that you hit the peak. There really is nothing else to do.

I will assume that if I say "well presumably you're then rank 10,000 in WvW and a veteran sPvPer" you wont answer "what's that?".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I will assume that if I say "well presumably you're then rank 10,000 in WvW and a veteran sPvPer" you wont answer "what's that?".

My point is, I prefer games with endless progression, or at least those that require thousands of hours to hit max. Maybe that's oldschool. Mind you, this is just my opinion about GW2.

Putting thousands of hours into PvP that offers zero progression for your character, other than bragging rights is defenetly a no-no for me.

• Confused 2

22 minutes ago, CashCow.9548 said:

For me GW2 will always be the game where I log in for 30 sec, grab my daily rewards, then close the game and go play other, real games.

//gw2 is a casual game. Everything about this game is casual and always will be. This is why it's hard to take this game seriously.

7 minutes ago, CashCow.9548 said:

My point is, I prefer games with endless progression, or at least those that require thousands of hours to hit max. Maybe that's oldschool. Mind you, this is just my opinion about GW2.

Putting thousands of hours into PvP that offers zero progression for your character, other than bragging rights is defenetly a no-no for me.

I mean keep in mind thats how the game was advertised, No endless progression, no gear grind etc. So, it may just not be the game for you, and theres nothing wrong with that. Not every game is for every player. But to knock a game for doing what its advertised as doing seems odd to me. ^_^

• Like 7

I dont think I got that memo when I bought the game. Just out of curiosity, where does it say that?

And hey I'm not putting the game down. It's still alright. I'm quilty of going bit hardcore, put most of my time crafting leggys in this game. Crafted 25 of them over the years before I realised there are more fish in the ocean. 

Edited by CashCow.9548
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CashCow.9548 said:

See you say other real games.  Its the same the only difference is gear treadmills in other games. i know i was a raider in other games. Once you hit the end content cleared it and got the gear you log out and wait for the next patch. So any game you go to is going to be that way. Repeat until patch/xpack. There is a lot of stuff in GW2 i want to do, and no its not always casual. I dont get the gw2 is only casual thing, when CM"s , raids and pvp exist, kinda like other games. What do you do in other games that sets them apart? because once you level, explore,get your gear, then what? You can repeat it again or quit till the next patch. 

Im interested in what games you find fill that desire for you?

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, CashCow.9548 said:

I dont think I got that memo when I bought the game. Just out of curiosity, where does it say that?

And hey I'm not putting the game down. It's still alright. I'm quilty of going bit hardcore, put most of my time crafting leggys in this game. Crafted 25 of them over the years before I realised there are more fish in the ocean. 

"So if you love MMORPGs, you should check out Guild Wars 2. But if you hate traditional MMORPGs, then you should really check out Guild Wars 2. Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun; and of course, it doesn’t have a monthly fee."

From their design manifesto almost 10 years ago, theyve moved away from some bits of it, but the no gear treadmill has been true to beginning(A hiccup was adding ascended armor, and players got PISSED about it.)

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/

Theres also a video, and around the same time they put out more stuff explaining what the game was going to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, GW2 is fantastic and simply unparalleled in many aspects, but this new game in the West, Swords of Legends, specifically has an awesome movement mechanic (including flying, which isn't trivialized) that I think you would like 😉

For those critiquing FFXIV for slow combat, no voiceovers, etc., please play at least the core game to the end, and possibly the first expansion too (which is, now, also free) - combat picks up nicely and voiceovers are added past the first part of the game. Play the full game before comparing, guys.

Edited by Perisemiotics.4579
  • Thanks 1

This is how I feel about GW2 compared to Champions Online. CO is the superior game to freedom of movement, character customization, and moving around. The only problem is that CO hasn't had new zones and content since 2011 and is riddled with exploitative gambling and grinding.

FF14 is alright. The only thing it excels in over GW2 is the loot and the almost cinematic boss fights.

6 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Different strokes for different folks.

Yes combat and movement are top notch in gw2 (except when you slide against edges when you're trying to jump above them).

It's a special shame it's wasted in gw2 when it comes to it's, as you say dumpster fire, pvp departments.

No grinds lol, yeah skyscale wasn't a grind at all. 🙄

Gotta be fair here, when the season of the dragons catches up, high chances we get 250 of each of the currency doing achievements, so that "grind" is soon to go with the wind 🙂

10 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Oh believe me im not a shill lol, one look at my post history should tell you that. FF is fine for what it is, but for me I cant play like that anymore, it feels stiff.

Trust me, after playing Condi Weaver for months, every other MMO would feel slow and boring 😄

I have taken mine to raiding, WvW and CM 100 done with it.

Edited by Touchme.1097

Nope.  GW2 needs dome serious work if it's to survive the storm.  As far as I know the dev's have done noting to the game apart from nerfs in years as the game confesses to.  There is so much that is out dated and has not been removed or updated since the year nought plonk.

Even your login rewards are out of date, most of them I have to spend time destroying.  Loot drops are a couple of fathoms below meh on the majority of maps.  Every thing bar a handful of stuff is useless.

The combat may be fluid and fast but it also very boring due to it's limitation and the fact that the target disappears into a light bubble if more than 2 people are attacking it .

Beyond chasing mats for gear your pretty much stumped as the story is dire and the quests dull.

I pretty much just do my drop dead boring daily's for spirt shards and maybe farm SW for a hour.  After that I am so fed-up I have to log and go play something else.

Like I have said before this game is in dire need of a major overhaul to make it great again, as it is, it's a stagnant nightmare.

On a side note, have you seen the trailer for EOD?  What is that, what are they showing us?  Are those world of Warcraft graphics part of it or just art?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

I am used to fast paced and fluid combat with making quick decisions, coming from Tera as a warrior main weaver was definetly my class to go cause it just plays as fluid and difficult in terms of survivability, the combination I love.

Before this I actually played FF14 for a few years as a redmage main, which was still enjoyable for the most part (mobility and the melee combo was fun) but it feels like a resident sleeper compared to GW2 for the most part (granted savage bosses still require quick coordination).

But I must say I miss the gear threadmill a bit in GW2. Or at least something to make it worthwhile to farm stuff except going for legendaries in this content drought, but I keep my hopes up for lost ark (if the beta launches anytime in August)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

please play at least the core game to the end, and possibly the first expansion too (which is, now, also free) - combat picks up nicely and voiceovers are added past the first part of the game. Play the full game before comparing, guys.

Can you give an estimate of how long it takes to get through the ARR campaign?

14 hours ago, Perisemiotics.4579 said:

I agree, GW2 is fantastic and simply unparalleled in many aspects, but this new game in the West, Swords of Legends, specifically has an awesome movement mechanic (including flying, which isn't trivialized) that I think you would like 😉

For those critiquing FFXIV for slow combat, no voiceovers, etc., please play at least the core game to the end, and possibly the first expansion too (which is, now, also free) - combat picks up nicely and voiceovers are added past the first part of the game. Play the full game before comparing, guys.

Unfortunately FFXIV couldn't grab me at all, and im not going to push through the horrible lower levels to get to the "good stuff". Game needs to be good from the get go. FFXIV imo is not that.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Unfortunately FFXIV couldn't grab me at all, and im not going to push through the horrible lower levels to get to the "good stuff". Game needs to be good from the get go. FFXIV imo is not that.

That's how I felt as well. Granted I only played about an hour and a half before I started feeling like I was just fetch questing and running back and forth between point A and B. I also didn't like the combat.

However I am considering giving it another shot. Tyria will always be my home though. I am always going to hold other titles up to GW2 for better or for worse.

Edited by rrusse.7058
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rrusse.7058 said:

That's how I felt as well. Granted I only played about an hour and a half before I started feeling like I was just fetch questing and running back and forth between point A and B. I also didn't like the combat.

However I am considering giving it another shot. Tyria will always be my home though. I am always going to hold other titles up to GW2 for better or for worse.

I got to i think level 30 before i stopped. All i could stand of it.

2 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

I got to i think level 30 before i stopped. All i could stand of it.

That's pretty good. I mean if you're not having fun then why even bother. I'd tell anybody playing our game the same. If you're not enjoying it then stop.

How long would you say it took you to get to 30? Also do you happen to know how close to the end of the main campaign that is?

1 minute ago, rrusse.7058 said:

That's pretty good. I mean if you're not having fun then why even bother. I'd tell anybody playing our game the same. If you're not enjoying it then stop.

How long would you say it took you to get to 30? Also do you happen to know how close to the end of the main campaign that is?

About a week, during a double exp event. It was the only game i played at the time after work. I honestly dont even know where i was in the main campaign, game wasnt clear at all. It had started to get boring for around level 25, all the quests began looking the same and i was getting frustrated with the combat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1