Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

I don't know if anyone else already posted this idea (I didn't find one) but IF we do not use skill 2 & 3 to "follow" fishing bar but mouse movement (to right and left only)?

As mentioned before about being "free" to do chat and some other mechanics, I think we could change to 2 & 3 keys or mouse movement.

Glad there is a minigame involved with the fishing, and it looks like a pretty chill easy one as well which is great.
I've played a lot of fishing minigames in other games over the years and they tend to range from mindlessly easy to the point of not being fun to overcomplicated and annoying so I was unsure how Gw2's would end up being.

I dunno if i'll get much out the additional aspects of fishing, namely the food recipes etc.. I don't really use consumable's in Gw2 all that much.. more of a when I need it i'll use it kind of thing so unless people are dropping them around like banners and food trays I likely won't use em much.
Still good to have the option I guess, but for me i'll mostly be fishing for collections and fun most likely.

The Skiff however had me really curious, namely how it works in the world.
I was honestly afraid that it would end up being like a mount and tbh I had no interest in it if it worked like that since I already had the Skimmer which as someone who plays mostly alone is far more suited to me.

But it's completely different and I love that, a summonable solid object in the world like a WvW siege weapon.. that is really cool!! and once I saw it I started getting all kinds of excited for the potential of a system like that in PvE and I really hope there are some events out there that utilize this ability to have players summon and place objects in the world to assist in the completion of the event etc.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, steinnovels.9675 said:

In the stream you can see That the fishing node is individual client based just like ore, wood and plant nodes. You can tell because when they switch from Ruby to Nick he still had the fishing hole visible while Ruby did not.  I think that you can catch 3 to 4 fish per node and that fishing holes only give a better chance at rarer fish than just fishing anywhere.

At the 15 minute mark on the Twitch stream. Thanks steinnovels. No competition needed, just patience with the slow fishers on the skiff.  Hopefully nodes refresh at a higher rate than other nodes. I would like the fishing farm to be unique. Perhaps time limited nodes could add some excitement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROMANG.1903 said:

I won't be buying skiff skins nearly as eagerly (if at all) as I do mounts and gliders. Maybe if a really good boat design comes up, but that doesn't seem to be possible unless ANet is willing to drastically alter the shape of the skiff through skins. And even then, one or two would suffise. I also don't like that the main ability is a boring speed boost: Abilities that you just have to spam on cooldown are not an engaging gameplay.

I think Anet actually has quit a bit of freedom with Skiff skins since they are one solid object, and not like a Mount where you have to animate legs, muscles, neck and all that and make it look fluent and credible.   You can already see a bigger degree of freedom with Gliders, that range from Fiery Fireballs , to sitting on a carpet or chair to standing on Sheets of Music Paper.  I think they can go crazy with Skiffs, though the movement through the water itself could definitely be done better.   They could also go crazy with dye channels, and maybe have 5 or 6 instead of 4. I expect to see a lot of variety in Skiff skins and the most outrageous color schemes from players. 🙂

This is for me the only redeeming factor to an otherwise lackluster feature. 🙂You can already see the huge difference between the regular Skiff that everyone gets in-game and the Skiff that you get as Extra when you buy the Deluxe expack.  

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 2:41 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

I find the whole party aspect of it stressful.

If fishing was indeed introduced as a leisure thing, it should be single-player, not group content. Then the hot spots could be individual instead of global, meaning that each person sees only their own personal hot spots which are being generated locally for you.

Not sure the current concept will remain fun over time if you can't do it in a relaxed way at your own pace.

The individual fishing spots are a very good idea, that would solve my fear of skiff cluttering.

The reason anet may want ppl group up is while fishing, sea monster can attack u ? For example, fishing as pre meta event.....

But that may kill the relaxing factor 

I guess I'll stick with FF14 and WoW when it comes to fishing.

What I wanted was a relaxed way of enjoying the game scenery without any button mashing, and a way to take a break away from the main game activities (which, let's be honest, always end up in big zergs).

Like the Ocean Fishing feature of FF14 which is a good example of how to implement a niche yet meaningful side activity.

What I've seen in the stream is way off what I ever wanted fishing to be. As other people already said here, I don't think GW2 needs more button mashing and visual noise coming from zergs fishing for the same collections. I'm already guessing there will be tons of fish to turn over some NPC to get an ascended trinket and some fishing oriented skins, which will require tons of hours fishing and if the meta-oriented players find out it's more profitable to do this rather than any other meta, you'll end up seeing tons of skiffs running all over Tyria to farm nothingness all over again.

Pretty disappointed with this ; I guess I'm just hoping now Cantha will at least provide us with strong maps and a pretty enjoyable story overall. Because everything else looks pretty "meh" and very unpolished so far.

Edited by Neva Eilhart.5347
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I would love naval combat... but not onboard a skiff. 😂

Obviously there is no accounting for taste. You go ahead and twiddle your thumbs with boring naval combat. I will fish the kitten out of Tyria. I am getting ready by practicing my situational awareness and letting my 2 and 3 keys rest. The number pad is harder to use but I think it will be worth it when I learn fishing muscle memory.

All kidding aside, of course naval combat would be exciting. I don't think we will see it though. The cost of passenger weapon mount points skyrocketed and the studio's supply is likely dedicated to the production of siege turtles.

All kidding aside I will also fish the kitten out of Tyria.

Edited by Psientist.6437
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, steinnovels.9675 said:

Perhaps like in real life the time of day could influence what can be caught, fish at night and catch certain fish, during the day others.

I think the fishing farm would be a great opportunity for a more interactive fishing experience that isn't offered in the real world. Ocarina of Time's ridiculously cool fishing mini-game had a fish pond which basically had unique fish that had different behavior and only arrived at different times of day, etc. If you've never played OoT, you can skim through this:

Fishing was a great part of the old Ultima Online.  We had fishing guilds on every shard.  Load up the boat and just hang out fishing.  Fish up some sea monsters, toss out nets to get more sea monsters. Use sunken loot as house decorations (and stock a vendor with fishing deco).  Great times.  I hope GW2 fishing is as fun. 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:21 PM, Psientist.6437 said:

De toute évidence, il n'y a pas de comptabilité pour le goût. Vous allez de l'avant et vous tournez les pouces avec un combat naval ennuyeux. Je vais pêcher le chaton en Tyrie. Je me prépare en pratiquant ma conscience situationnelle et en laissant reposer mes 2 et 3 clés. Le pavé numérique est plus difficile à utiliser mais je pense que cela en vaudra la peine lorsque j'apprendrai à pêcher la mémoire musculaire.

Blague à part, bien sûr, le combat naval serait passionnant. Je ne pense pas que nous le verrons cependant. Le coût des points de montage des armes des passagers a grimpé en flèche et l'approvisionnement du studio est probablement dédié à la production de tortues de siège.

Blague à part, je vais aussi pêcher le chaton en Tyrie.

Maybe, but it remains a system not only completely anecdotal but also poorly done ... fishing, I don't call it content. (Even Genshin does better)

Edited by rylien.3824
  • Like 1

Ok i ve been fishing for a few hours now. Its fun and relaxing. But there isnt any good reward for fishing, after you are done with the achievements you wont fish again.

For the biggest feature from this xpac this is a fail reward wise.

Give us mount skins/ mini’s from fishing. Low chance but the possibility to get something...

I know there is a shark tonic, but who uses tonics more than once.

btw the fishing animation after you catched a fish takes too long. I just want to throw in my line again without waiting. The mini game makes it kinda slow alrdy.

Probably mentioned a 100x before this, but CBA to read back ; - )

1. We need keybinds for the masteries.

2. Can we get the pong fishing minigame at the sinker, so I can look at my character's animation instead of only at the bar.

3. Don't have my character cry out with each fish caught, it's driving me crazy : - ) Randomize it at around 1 in 10 times.

4. Drop a hint where to get the skiff, since it's outside of the story. I had to YT it.

Otherwise: loving the fishing, loving the skiff ❤️