Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

On my morning bike ride this popped into my mind. When they were announces skiffs, this is what my subconscious was thinking:

Invite your friend on to you skiff ( with the newest gemstore skin). Have a party hanging out (showing off your new gemstore outfit), fishing (using your gemstore infinite fishing rod with gemstore fishing glyths while under a gemstore booster) and playing sea shanties (using gemstore instruments). 

After mount skin lootboxes, the unwanted addition of the warclaw, and triple monitized build templates, this feels like more of something i would call ad-features. Gliding and mount were also ad-features, but both of those added large value to the game. Imagine playing the core game now without raptor or griffin or skyscale. 

And these are 2 of the 5 mastery lines. Hopefully the 2 unrevealed lines offer more engaging content than group movement options.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

This is always a good point when it comes to Housing. The time spent would mostly be the time people spend to decorate it and that all depends on how Anet would implement it.  I admit right away that simply sitting in your house itself is absolutely boring and I think nobody does that(for long).  I was thinking that people could build entire Jumping Puzzles in their Instance: that would keep them busy, AND would be interesting for JP-lovers. But simply decorating can be a time consuming job too, and there are lots of people would come and check out other peoples houses. 

However, I am pretty sure Anet is not going that way. So I am thinking Fishing and Skiffs are more of a new type of Party content that involves instancing, with small areas and possibly some Decorate Light feature that ties into the Loot you get from Fishing.   If Fishing just yields ingredients for more (useless) food for the already useless Cooking discipline, that would be a disappointment. Cooking and food are a side-gimmick at best.  I expect (party) Fishing to be cool (the Anet way) so I hope the yields of that will be used for more then just some new recipes.  Well, I guess you will need some Seamonsters head for one of the new Legendaries maybe. 🙂

Thank you, that was great input.  I would like to be able to decorate a personal instance/housing, just something to do while I'm ready to log out but not wanting too.  I can see the appeal, especially if you're quite social or for rp'ing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing

It is a boat, let's not call it home if isn't, housing isn't to joke about, housing is houses. Apart if you can enter in the boat to be in a large room you can decorate like when you enter indian merchant boat/ your boat in zelda phantom hourglass.

May sound dumb but I want to have a cannon on my boat. Like zelda, i could shoot at target as adventures or at foes that may harass me during the travels. Because, think about it: the skiff gonna receive 3 hits then self destroy? Weird.

2 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

This is always a good point when it comes to Housing. The time spent would mostly be the time people spend to decorate it and that all depends on how Anet would implement it.  I admit right away that simply sitting in your house itself is absolutely boring and I think nobody does that(for long).  I was thinking that people could build entire Jumping Puzzles in their Instance: that would keep them busy, AND would be interesting for JP-lovers. But simply decorating can be a time consuming job too, and there are lots of people would come and check out other peoples houses. 

However, I am pretty sure Anet is not going that way. So I am thinking Fishing and Skiffs are more of a new type of Party content that involves instancing, with small areas and possibly some Decorate Light feature that ties into the Loot you get from Fishing.   If Fishing just yields ingredients for more (useless) food for the already useless Cooking discipline, that would be a disappointment. Cooking and food are a side-gimmick at best.  I expect (party) Fishing to be cool (the Anet way) so I hope the yields of that will be used for more then just some new recipes.  Well, I guess you will need some Seamonsters head for one of the new Legendaries maybe. 🙂

I don't think skiff will lead to areas to decorate sadly. It is just "yolo i'm drifting with my boat and sometimes I can stop moving and use fishing rod" nothing more, nothing left sadly.

I am really excited about fishing!
Just a thought of mine, please put some nice rewards! and As always some worthy rare loot!
Even an account bound infusion would be cool! it would give players more excitement to fish and also those who get the infusion will really be the most dedicated ones!
Or a fish that can be used in mystic forge for infusion would be cool! Infusion hunters such as me, would be really hyped!

Like a Koi fish infusion or something related to Cantha/jade etc.
Rare loot gives players the thrill of having something to hunt !

My reason for it to be account bound is so it doesnt get exploited by bots or something similar!

Edited by Owatatsumi.5038
  • Like 1

Just now, Owatatsumi.5038 said:

I am really excited about fishing!
Just a thought of mine, please put some nice rewards! and As always some worthy rare loot!
Even an account bound infusion would be cool! it would give players more excitement to fish and also those who get the infusion will really be the most dedicated ones!
Or a fish that can be used in mystic forge for infusion would be cool! Infusion hunters such as me, would be really hyped!

Like a Koi fish infusion or something related to Cantha/jade etc.
Rare loot gives players the thrill of having something to hunt !

My reason for it to be account bound is so it doesnt get exploited by bots or something similar!

4 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

I don't think skiff will lead to areas to decorate sadly.

Of course not! Crazy suggestion by whoever started this (too lazy to read up all posts).

Have people not seen the screenshots and concept art? Those skiffs aren't big enough to be used as full-fledged homes. I doubt you can even enter below deck, but I might be wrong on that one.

I, for one, am really looking forward to skiffs and fishing now - sounds like a nice diversion from "the same old same old."

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

The biggest thing the presentation was missing about these masteries was "why".

Why am I fishing? Why would I want to discover different kinds of fish? What are the rewards for engaging with this system? These features both fell flat on the presentation because this super basic question wasn't answered.

• Like 7

Something I always thought would add a ton of value to the game was movable vehicles. The things they could do with large movable ships, boats, airships, platforms during wvw and group maps etc etc are endless. The only ones in the entire game to my knowledge is the one in Sandswept isle and the airship in dragonstand, both very very very janky, on a set path and hidden/not involved in any events. I have a feeling this is due to a game engine issue. These player driven boats probably wont be anywhere as free or as cool as you would hope. Will probably feel more like a mount and have limited free-movement for other players. 

• Like 1

Will skiffs be spawnable on every water surface around the world, like you can use the skimmers?

Do you think there's any chance they will make an entire ocean map that could cover a stretch between Cantha and the "old world"?

For possibly story encounter with DSD, deep sea fishing and only maneuverable by skiffs/skimmer/swimming?

I guess I was daydreaming too much. Seems like Skiffs are indeed nothing more then another skinnable Mount that will allow a party to fish for bigger game, like some huge shark (for a Legendary ingredient maybe). So a multi-person mount, for Fishing.   

That would mean Fishing is the "big new feature" of this Expansion.  I still have hope that Anet knocked Fishing out of the park as a MMO feature but I do not see it renew my gameplay as much as Mounts and Gliding did.  Those features renewed exploring and the Open World for me. So much fun mastering your Mounts (as in truly mastering, not earning the Mastery Points) and use Anets well built world all over again, now with Mounts and Gliding. 

So, Fishing.    

Btw, so far I can only see the Combat turtle as a gimmicky feature that you will be needing only for specific content. Else, why on earth would you step on a Combat turtle with a friend, when you can do anything in the Open World  as two solo persons much easier. Do not see how this turtle could come into play in a fun way with existing Open World content. Certainly not for making things easier, not needed in the open world, Dungeons?  Would have preferred Henchmen.  Very curious what they have planned for us with this turtle. 

The whole multi-person mount thing never appealed to me tbh.  I kinda like Fishing though. 

Edited by Tyncale.1629

14 hours ago, hugo.4705 said:

I don't think skiff will lead to areas to decorate sadly. It is just "yolo i'm drifting with my boat and sometimes I can stop moving and use fishing rod" nothing more, nothing left sadly.

It is bold to say this when we don't fully know how will work and what we'll be able to do, specially considering there is a full mastery just for skiffs.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

Btw, so far I can only see the Combat turtle as a gimmicky feature that you will be needing only for specific content. Else, why on earth would you step on a Combat turtle with a friend, when you can do anything in the Open World  as two solo persons much easier. Do not see how this turtle could come into play in a fun way with existing Open World content. Certainly not for making things easier, not needed in the open world, Dungeons?  Would have preferred Henchmen.  Very curious what they have planned for us with this turtle. 

The siege turtle has a huge potential in WvW.

• Like 2

Fishing and skiffs are not exciting features for me. Even if ArenaNet provide an excellent implementation they're still not exciting to me. 

Why fish? This bit was definitely missing. To complete Collections and other Achievements and catch all 200 fish? For cooking recipes? To compete in tournaments?

It seems like fairly short-term, once-off content to me but the details are missing right now. 

HoT brought elite specs, gliding and masteries. PoF gave us mounts. Both changed the game drastically, and for the better. It seems like EoD either lacks a feature like that completely, or this is supposed to be it. Fishing. Hardly seems comparable, no?

I've seen fishing implemented in a number of games previously. It's always been more curiosa than a substantial feature. You see people swarm to do it as it launch, only for it to be completely neglected and forgotten a month later. Don't really see any reason to expect differently here, but I guess one can hope for the best.

I have no any interesting in skiffs and fishing, because it's not new for me. I was fishing for tortoise mount in northrend 10years ago.  Fishing is not a fun game even though I can get pets, mounts, tools from it in WOW. But I'm sure Anet will put 98% skins of skiff and 80% high quality skins of  fishing rod into gem store. In contrast,  the rewards and skins  which player can get from PVE contents are poor quality  and ulgy appearence.

They call the skiff your home away from home, so does that mean that you can unlock the ability to use your crafting profession while on your skiff?  For example a chef could basically have a floating bbq party going on.

Might make some people more into the idea of the skiff.

Also would you have to be in the same party to stand on another player's skiff or would it be like a floating platform anyone can just jump onto?

On 7/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, Tyncale.1629 said:

Can't help but think there is more to Skiffs then initially meets the eye.  Do not forget that Anet would probably never do housing as we know it from other MMO's. Let us look at the description.

• "Your home away from home" This alone is very intriguing. Look at those tiny skiffs. It is a tall statement, when the boats come out as nothing more then meets the eye: small 12 feet long open boats where you can walk three steps.  I see the little boats in the pic and can not imagine that this is all there is to them: step up boat, walk 3 steps, sit on bench and throw out rod.   Nope, thats not a Home away from Home. 
  •  
  • "Explore": how will the boats be better in exploring sandy beaches, small hidden bays and underwater grotto's then the already existing Skimmers? Wall off ocean areas where you can only "explore" with the skifss but not your skimmer? Not Anets style. There must be more to this. 
  •  
  • "Relax":  very promising remark.  Relax, like hop on your boat, throw out your rod and sit on the bench with your rod for 30 minutes? No, there must be more to it. 
  •  
  • "Ferry your whole party": So you can take your party on the boat. That screams "instanced" to me, unless they think it is fun to stand on a 12 feet boat with 5 characters that all are Fishing? Waiting to arrive at some spot? Doing nothing? That sounds like something nobody would enjoy more then 1 minute.  Must be more to this too. 
  •  
  • "Drop anchor to fish" could indeed be a pure Fishing feature: you need the skiff to get to certain good fishing spots on the open sea since you can not fish from a skimmer,  
  • "Walk around" sounds like you can reach areas with your skiff that your Skimmer can not get to. Kinda lame but possible.  More interestingly: they could bring yout to instanced dungeon-type content that you "ferry" your party to. Or even Guildhall type areas that you can decorate...
  •  
  • "and more":  well I guess I am going to put my hopes in this remark. 🙂
  •  
  • TLDR: My Hunch: boats will be the vehicles that may be instanced themselves and/or  will bring you to instanced "guildhall" type areas scattered across the ocean where you can party up, adventure, (party)Fish (off course), get loot and decorate with stuff from your Fishy adventures.  I think Fishing will be implemented in an amazing way(including group-content), that will yield all types of new loot that you can use to decorate your Pirate's Cove hideout with.  Possibly Skiffs themselves will actually be your Personal Space that you can decorate(instanced off course). 

Or Skiffs are just a simple tool for Fishing that will be able to get to areas, that they walled off from skimmers. That would be kinda disappointing. 😌

Having an upgradable skiff to the size of a corsair ship or airship with a portal that takes you to a customizable home instance would be a great idea. Might also be easier for you to visit people's personal instances in a party. 

But I'm not holding my breath. I feel like if they had a feature that large they would have announced it and it doesn't seem like something they have the scope to do during living world.

I am excited about the addition of multi-seater mounts though. Here's to hoping it leaves room for them to introduce an even larger dragon mount in the future that's a multi-seater. Not that I want to abandon my skyscale, but being able to take newbies up to high ledges without needing a mesmer portal would be pretty neat.

• Like 1