Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

• Sentient Anomaly.9473 changed the title to Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing

Skiffs seem cool.

Although really thinking about it mechanically, it does appear to be a multiplayer skimmer without the ability to hover and swim underwater.. instead gaining the ability to fish from it.
Does kinda make me hope for another Skimmer update down the road that will allow me to fish from the skimmers back as well.

Fishing however, sounds great as a mechanic although I didn't hear much about the activity side of it.

Maybe i'm just not remembering I was hyped as hell through the stream so brain was not processing much xD
We gonna have one time collections? or new food crafting items?
Will there be a log of some kind to record our fish sizes to compare them with other players?
Will there be fishing competitions in the game? events? Community goals?
Can we get some kind of fish aquarium upgrade for our instanced homes to show off our rarest fish? or maybe we can donate them for fish display guild hall decorations with plaques to name the player who caught the fish 😄  

There's a lot of potential in a fishing system in MMO's so I hope there's a lot of fun things we can do with fishing.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 1

Will the "multiplayer" aspect of fishing be more than just everyone can join on a boat to fish simultaneously?  Will there be any cooperative mechanics?  Ways for one player to improve another's yield?

Speaking of mechanics, will it be something better than hovering your mouse over your bobber or your finger over the F key, thus unable to chat with anyone or do anything else for a random window of time until the bobber bobs and you click to fish?  That's been the fishing killer in every other game for me.  (Though New World is doing it in a more interesting way, an active reel-in-and-rest-and-reel-in method that still doesn't need twitch reflexes).

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Donari.5237 said:

Speaking of mechanics, will it be something better than hovering your mouse over your bobber or your finger over the F key, thus unable to chat with anyone or do anything else for a random window of time until the bobber bobs and you click to fish?  That's been the fishing killer in every other game for me.  (Though New World is doing it in a more interesting way, an active reel-in-and-rest-and-reel-in method that still doesn't need twitch reflexes).

That's what I'm wondering too. I'm not really a fan of fishing in any game but my least favourite are the ones where you push 1 button to cast and then you're just stuck waiting for permission to push it again but can't do anything else in case you miss it. 

The system you described sounds like the way Spiritfarer does it, you cast and then have to gradually reel it back in. There's not a lot to it but at least it feels like doing something. 

At the moment I'm more intrigued with the skiffs. It sounds a bit redundant since we've already got skimmers but sitting on the boat in Labyrinthine Cliffs or Sandswept Isles floating around the bay is surprisingly enjoyable, so maybe this will be similar. As long as its not only used for fishing that is. 

Edited by Danikat.8537

55 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Skiffs seem cool.

Although really thinking about it mechanically, it does appear to be a multiplayer skimmer without the ability to hover and swim underwater.. instead gaining the ability to fish from it.
Does kinda make me hope for another Skimmer update down the road that will allow me to fish from the skimmers back as well.

I think similarly to the Siege Turtle, the Skiff looked like another multiplayer type mount? I don't know, they could have better detailed out stuff like that and use cases for skiffs and fishing. Can skiffs go in any water? Is fishing only an activity or does it provide some new level/line of cooking? Those sorts of details would have been nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Very happy with this. Looks like a fun feature to play and chill with.

Just be sensible with skiff skins 😉

What are you talking about? If my boat doesn't look like it's going to swallow the ocean in the void, the skin isn't worth buying XD.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Faridah.8431 said:

I think similarly to the Siege Turtle, the Skiff looked like another multiplayer type mount? I don't know, they could have better detailed out stuff like that and use cases for skiffs and fishing. Can skiffs go in any water? Is fishing only an activity or does it provide some new level/line of cooking? Those sorts of details would have been nice.

Yeah it was a shame they didn't go into a few more details on that.

They have confirmed fishing will be something you can do everywhere in game and I think they said that Skiffs will be usable all over the world as well.

Without more specific details though these features don't have as much appeal as they could have.
Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer until they provide more on them.

1 hour ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

What are you talking about? If my boat doesn't look like it's going to swallow the ocean in the void, the skin isn't worth buying XD.

sadly like the raptor skin. i stay with my chocobo .. i mean Roadrunner. i bought Ultimate Edition from HoT and PoF but i pass here. nothing special. even the items in the normal edition are very bland. another shared inventory slot is nice.

51 minutes ago, Legion.4198 said:

I wonder if there are combat boats. 

i hope not. but question is. what are they for. they have to implement something you can only do with the boats

• Haha 1

Since it is a pinned post, I think it is the good place to already speak of skins. The boats like mounts will have skins. And this is possibly good money maker.

I would like racial skins for the boats:

Charr themed: inspire yourself of charrs submarines and cars.

Asura themed: you have a boat sketch concept art: 

https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/021/807/161/large/tsveta-komaticheva-asuraship2.jpg?1573017198 but you can inspire from gyrocycle beetle skin, inquest mark II weapons, peacemaker weapons or asura architectures.

Norn: inspired with homesteads and hoelbrak architecture 

Sylvari: Inspiration from oakheart, plant houses, flowers...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1