Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

1 hour ago, Hybrid Theory.7361 said:

Can’t wait to press F and see the fish appear in my bag 10/10 content 

Judging from what Anet did with the mounts, it's probably going to be a lot more involved than that. 😉

The won't just shove in "F to fish" mechanics, they're probably going to make it a lot more Interesting.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3

Just came in to say..... for me this is a big miss. This is not game changing and is basically a novelty. Will I try it out, for sure, but will it bring me back for more the answer is a resounding NO. One can only hope you have bigger things up your sleeve because if this is your "Glider or Mounts" equivalent you have failed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

If we do get aquariums, I hope we get to display all of the fish we catch instead of some like in a certain game... Though if we do get them, I'm assuming they'll have it so certain aquariums can hold specific types of fish based on the body of water and their size if they really want to go into details.

I don't care about fishing I can take it or leave it; it's fine I guess.

What really matters are the Skiffs!

If these are measly dingy boats: Sorry that is not a substitute for player housing and is pretty disappointing. I get they are "skiffs" but a proper yacht would have been far more ideal. I imagine that will be gemstone bait, but what really matters then is functionality and the scale of limitations allowed.

If it's a multi mount skimmer you can simply fish off of: That is profoundly disappointing. Players at minimum need to be able to stop driving it, and walk around on it.

If this does not have collision so that friends and rondos can seamlessly hop on and off the boat; that is also disappointing.

I'm already disillusioned to this game because of PvP and WvW, and anticipating another 50% mesmer elite spec nerf, and butchering of mesmer power specs in competitive modes; at this point I am not intrested in paying for the expac at all. 
If the game has the above level of functionality that could sway the PvE side of me to purchase. 

Edited by Daishi.6027
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ZarexWolf.5637 said:

If we do get aquariums, I hope we get to display all of the fish we catch instead of some like in a certain game... Though if we do get them, I'm assuming they'll have it so certain aquariums can hold specific types of fish based on the body of water and their size if they really want to go into details.

This would be great and go nicely with the cats we have in our home instance.

But there are other things they could add to home instances like the cats that they still haven't, like bookshelf/libraries to view all the tomes/lore/collection items we've unlocked over the years and can now remove from our bank.

They could add mannequins to store pre-set looks we could switch to when we wanted. 

Obviously I'm saying "they could" like it's just that simple, but I'm more pointing out just a few things that could add value should they ever add some personal housing instance and don't want to fiddle with the places like salma district etc. Though given how many gemstore things they've added to the existing home instances they'd probably just make room for them in there.

I do hope they add an Aquarium though. If I could actually see/interact with the fish I caught I might be more inclined to do the inevitable collection achievement. Unless they have somekind of use outside of cooking.

I know this was just a first look but I really feel like they could have gone into much more detail about some of the things they revealed and still had enough hype to carry over through elite spec reveals, betas, and the other two masteries. That livestream was anything BUT a "tidal wave" of information...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

This would be great and go nicely with the cats we have in our home instance.

But there are other things they could add to home instances like the cats that they still haven't, like bookshelf/libraries to view all the tomes/lore/collection items we've unlocked over the years and can now remove from our bank.

They could add mannequins to store pre-set looks we could switch to when we wanted. 

Obviously I'm saying "they could" like it's just that simple, but I'm more pointing out just a few things that could add value should they ever add some personal housing instance and don't want to fiddle with the places like salma district etc. Though given how many gemstore things they've added to the existing home instances they'd probably just make room for them in there.

I do hope they add an Aquarium though. If I could actually see/interact with the fish I caught I might be more inclined to do the inevitable collection achievement. Unless they have somekind of use outside of cooking.

I know this was just a first look but I really feel like they could have gone into much more detail about some of the things they revealed and still had enough hype to carry over through elite spec reveals, betas, and the other two masteries. That livestream was anything BUT a "tidal wave" of information...

Yeah, if they don't give us aquariums and only used for cooking, this may die off fast. Also, I can see us getting more cats depending on the kind of fish we catch or something else involving it. Plus I can see aquariums also being added to guild halls as furniture, but we'll have to wait and see how far they'll go. May be added during launch or sometime after.

2 hours ago, ZarexWolf.5637 said:

Yeah, if they don't give us aquariums and only used for cooking, this may die off fast. Also, I can see us getting more cats depending on the kind of fish we catch or something else involving it. Plus I can see aquariums also being added to guild halls as furniture, but we'll have to wait and see how far they'll go. May be added during launch or sometime after.

Idk. I've decorated 3 halls since they were released and used to go crazy for new decorations. Now it's just meh. We'll probably get some new ones with the new guild hall themed around Cantha but I'm not expecting anything high effort.

They do at least add a few ever now and then as purchasable tokens. So many assets in the game and it's just always so starved for resources these days it's like a miracle getting something like the Drizzlewood trees. I don't know if I would expect an aquarium. Plus it's either gotta dynamically show what you've caught personally or have somekind of guild collection flag that deposits all the fish the players in the guild have caught. 

I think a personal home instance would probably be easier from a coding standpoint, but that's just me being salty about how guild halls were abandoned so quickly during their release. Probably because of how expensive they were. If they'd made them player housing to start with and done something smaller for guilds to share guild buffs and boons it might have worked better. idk. It was a nice idea but they don't really have anything in the game that incentivizes working as a guild and haven't touched missions in years.

Fishing in Archeage was actually incredibly involved and fun but here's the problem... it was everything around it that made it fun:

- It was already based on a physically travalled trade delivery system

- It was often a group activity with the guild

- You had to scout for and find fishing spots

- It was actually tricky to catch high level fish

- It paid huge amounts of coins if you could physically deliver the good catches back to port

- It had "real" ships you had to build yourself (even dedicated fishing ships with storage) with very, very good water/ship physics on a huge ocean.

- It was open world PvP and others could kill you and steal your fish

- some guilds was large enough to run warship protection for the fishing fleet

- You could customize your sail 

With how GW2 is... theres just no comparison. I predict just standing on a static boat pressing 1-5 for a minute to get somrthing dumped in your inventory you can sell.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric.7813 said:

Do skiffs have collision?

what happens when skiff goes to shallow water or beach?

I doubt they will have collision and I'd guess that they just stop when they hit the edge of water. 

Also I'd very much doubt that they added real world models for the 200+ fish. I don't think they'll be actually represented in game in any way (other than maybe a generic "there are fish here" resource node scattered around the maps). I'd say that rules out having aquariums to display them in. 

2 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

Only one thing I would want with fishing. 

Auto fishing - sends one of our toon out to fish, and then log in another toon to play. 
Please include this in the fishing mastery /trait. 

thank you very much.

Then what would be point if having ships or fishing at all?

This is the eqvivalent of pushing a button and recieve loot after a timer has expired.

Like any mobile game, its the lowest form of gaming. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Then what would be point if having ships or fishing at all?

This is the eqvivalent of pushing a button and recieve loot after a timer has expired.

Like any mobile game, its the lowest form of gaming. 

So?  what ever is your point.

first of all, i don't even want fishing in my game. because I don't see the point of fishing, but I want the loot, i"d probably get the achievement  and leave fishing forever, but if there are loots involved, the only way for me to feel that I've paid for something useful  in my game is auto fishing. There is nothing wrong with that, because I'd rather spend my time in WvW then fishing. However, since I bought the game and fishing is in a game I bought I want to enjoy it and other stuffs too,  auto fishing by sending out my inactive toon to fish is the only feasible way. 

If I had said, to send out ALL of my inactive too for fishing, << that would be a problem, I only ask for 1 

Wasn't asking for fishing. But since they are I would hope it will be an engaging and active fishing style. More Fable / New World model less WoW. Will have to see what they plan, but again, it should be its own mini-game with variable loot and ideal bait systems and once caught not a guaranteed you can reel it in system. Variable bait and impacts on crit chance make some systems better than others as does using the material in new cooking recipes and crafting.

During the stream the main presentator said the player could go all around tyria for a fishing tour.

Here us what gonna to happen imho: we will have a bestiary about fishes to collect all around tyria to earn a reward at the end, dunno what, AP or a fishing rod skin. Kinda like chairs of tyria achievement but with fishes.