Our New Mesmer Elite Specialization: The Virtuoso

Tseison.4659

At the beginning i was thinking that something like Mental Anguish was embedded. But sadly after watch it better... is that the trait was active instead show the skills without traits added... Yes Mental Anguish and others were there adding its effects... So now, due to that,  i suspect... that the Virtuso skills pierce due to a trait like in some professions.  Which will imply  choose between pierce or a defensive trait or utility one in its tier...  I hope that it will be a master and not a grand master but who knows... if pierce is a grand master combined with a damage modifier...  Then it will be a hard choose watching its complete lack of mobility.

Of course that best thing will be if all those skills pierce by default, but now, i really doubt it. 😞

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zoser.7245 said:

At the beginning i was thinking that something like Mental Anguish was embedded. But sadly after watch it better... is that the trait was active instead show the skills traits added... Yes Mental Anguish and others were there adding its effects... So now, due to that,  i suspect... that the Virtuso skills pierce due to a trait like in some professions.  Which will imply  choose between pierce or a defensive trait or utility one in its tier...  I hope that it will be a master and not a grand master but who knows... if pierce is a grand master combined with a damage modifier...  Then it will be a hard choose watching its complete lack of mobility.

Of course that best thing it will be if all those skills pierce by default, but now, i really doubt it. 😞

They pierce by default, except for f3 which probably pierces with master of fragmentation. When something is added to a tool tip from traits it is blue. Mental anguish is from domination, piercing is default.

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Not talking about the dagger. Talking about the extra damage phantasms do. 

It's probably sth. like an additional Phantom Axe on Mirage (or whatever they are called). But not sure what this would be good for unless we got great "on Blade" traits/effects.

The following is for pve only. 

I don't think the range dagger will work. I guess it would be something like power chrono. The weapons will be sword/sword +focus and the same utillities. Maybe instead of mantra of pain, the new aoe. Also it need big modifiers to compete with chronophantasmata. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stavros.8249 said:

The following is for pve only. 

I don't think the range dagger will work. I guess it would be something like power chrono. The weapons will be sword/sword +focus and the same utillities. Maybe instead of mantra of pain, the new aoe. Also it need big modifiers to compete with chronophantasmata. 

range dagger wont work because autos hit like wet noodles (half of sword auto dps) and dagger #2, which atm probably makes up most of daggers dps, hits hardest in melee range. we dont know how exactly dagger #3 will work but id assume it will be like tempests lightning orb, where it is best cast outside melee range

altogether, this makes the new weapon really strange to play with, probably for any gamemode

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Xaylin.1860 said:

It's probably sth. like an additional Phantom Axe on Mirage (or whatever they are called). But not sure what this would be good for unless we got great "on Blade" traits/effects.

One can assume there will be a trait like that. 

Probably a +stats while having a dagger equipped, a CD reduction on psionics, perhaps a spend 2 or 3 blade refund 1 blade. 

Edited by Lincolnbeard.1735

6 hours ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

range dagger wont work because autos hit like wet noodles (half of sword auto dps) and dagger #2, which atm probably makes up most of daggers dps, hits hardest in melee range. we dont know how exactly dagger #3 will work but id assume it will be like tempests lightning orb, where it is best cast outside melee range

altogether, this makes the new weapon really strange to play with, probably for any gamemode

Depending on how strong Dagger 2 and 3 turn out I could see a world where we rotate between D/F & S/S where we change to dagger whenever our warden and utility skills are up so we dont have to use AA as much. Kind of how Chrono uses GS & S/S.

However what we saw in the reveal stream was all PvP numbers so I expect the AA was reduced in damage I hope in PvE the dagger will hit like a truck :3

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Me Games Ma.3024 said:

Depending on how strong Dagger 2 and 3 turn out I could see a world where we rotate between D/F & S/S where we change to dagger whenever our warden and utility skills are up so we dont have to use AA as much. Kind of how Chrono uses GS & S/S.

However what we saw in the reveal stream was all PvP numbers so I expect the AA was reduced in damage I hope in PvE the dagger will hit like a truck :3

It was PvE.  Karl was using berserker armor, marauder jewelry, scholar rune, and accuracy sigil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Me Games Ma.3024 said:

it already hits like a truck, dagger #2 has the damage potential of 2 blurred frenzys/6-blade f1 with only a 5s cd. dagger #3 seems to have similar dps as the wet noodle autoattack, but its fire and forget so that probably works out fine. so far it doesnt look mandatory for dps, but you can use it if you want to, which is probably a good thing

its just that it pretends to be a range weapon, but it appears to be inferior to gs and even scepter (even when played power) in that regard. but then again, ele dagger is close/mid-range vs 1200 range, its possible that virtuosos dagger is meant to be played at a similar range but has a long range, wet noodle attack ‘for flavor’ or something

3 minutes ago, Me Games Ma.3024 said:

Where though? I guess I missed that, it was not in the reveal clip. I saw them golems and thought that it had to be PvP. (Guess Devs can spawn practice golems anywhere?)

Someone asked him and he said in the chat. It's in one of the virtuoso threads but it's the exact list phokys listed 

I feel like Blade Renewal and Sword of Decimation skills will get huge nerf hammers in PvP/WvW. Imagine the rage that this 4 sec 5 player immob at 1200 will make when it becomes meta, as 25 (probably 20 with traits) cd ready for every push...

nah we dont want to have mesmers in our zegs.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Xion.5694 said:

I feel like Blade Renewal and Sword of Decimation skills will get huge nerf hammers in PvP/WvW. Imagine the rage that this 4 sec 5 player immob at 1200 will make when it becomes meta, as 25 (probably 20 with traits) cd ready for every push...

nah we dont want to have mesmers in our zegs.

about as much as staff ele and druid. immob spam is already a thing.

edit: though this will probably see some reduction so it doesn't get out of hand with condi duration. 

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

about as much as staff ele and druid. immob spam is already a thing.

edit: though this will probably see some reduction so it doesn't get out of hand with condi duration. 

I say the 4 second immobilize is just fine especially since it is only a utility skill. What is more of an issue that there is a lack of cripple/swiftness on the weapon & shatters altogether since the lack of mobility has also been a complaint. Therefore kiting is inherently going to be more difficult.

I've seen a few people say they find the Virtuoso shatters underwhelming too. Particularly F2 but it is looking to be a power spec so it makes sense the F2 isn't just a second "Mind Wrack/Bladesong Harmony". All the shatters pierce so that already is a plus (hopefully this is part of the design and not traited) - especially with Master of Fragmentation combined. I am hoping they can be cast without a target as well we are able to stock them up without targets.

If anything I feel the F4 with the 1.5 channel on a 3 second up time is harsh considering Dragonhunters get to block for the full 3 seconds on their F3 while casting other skills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FranzM.1298 said:

I say the 4 second immobilize is just fine especially since it is only a utility skill. What is more of an issue that there is a lack of cripple/swiftness on the weapon & shatters altogether since the lack of mobility has also been a complaint. Therefore kiting is inherently going to be more difficult.

[...]

If anything I feel the F4 with the 1.5 channel on a 3 second up time is harsh considering Dragonhunters get to block for the full 3 seconds on their F3 while casting other skills.

I think we should just keep in mind it's not worse than baseline Mesmer. Master of Fragmentation also comes with Cripple. Focus provides Cripple, Swiftness and a pull.

You're right about F4 vs. DH but the new F4 also deals damage which makes it more reasonable.

2 hours ago, FranzM.1298 said:

Make similar but worse skills/traits on mesmer is a common theme and must be a running gag on ANerf. 

I mean companion's defense>mirage mantle, shadowstep>mirage advance, every similar trait>fencers finesse to name a few. 

• Like 2