Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Siege Turtle

How I’m assuming the Siege Turtle works is that, it’s useable in both PvE and WvW but function differently in each mode. PvE I’m sure will just function as a regular mount but allows you to have extra people ride with you.

While in the WvW mode, you get additional skills that can be used for sieging. I’m going to guess that in order to use the cannons, the turtle has to be “grounded” and unable to move, which will allow the players mounting the cannons to attack from range. The range being 1500-5000 just guessing.

OR

You can fire the cannons while the turtle is moving, however they will have to give it a high health pool to compensate. Same as If it was grounded.

• Like 3

If you can use it in wvw that is going to be quite fun, I wonder if siege disable works on the turtle! hah. 

And finally a 2 person mount and done in GW2's awesome mount style, but on land it is a turtle right? I wonder about its speed, as it should be able to go in the water as well right? And move faster? just seems interesting. 

Can't wait to see it in game! 

Hypeeeee

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tseison.4659 said:

How I’m assuming the Siege Turtle works is that, it’s useable in both PvE and WvW but function differently in each mode. PvE I’m sure will just function as a regular mount but allows you to have extra people ride with you.

While in the WvW mode, you get additional skills that can be used for sieging. I’m going to guess that in order to use the cannons, the turtle has to be “grounded” and unable to move, which will allow the players mounting the cannons to attack from range. The range being 1500-5000 just guessing.

OR

You can fire the cannons while the turtle is moving, however they will have to give it a high health pool to compensate. Same as If it was grounded.

Great ideas! 😁
It'd be interesting to see it in WvW, I wonder if there'll be a counter mechanic to balance it out, the GW1 Fort Aspenwood  competitive missions map had Juggernaut NPCs powered by magic (similar to GW2 golems) that could knockdown turtles in close range using Juggernaut Toss

I guess it'd depend on how the turtles' mechanics are implemented...are they purely a mount (summoned anytime like the raptor?), a drivable vehicle (respawns after 'x' amount of time), or a WvW NPC similar to Commander Siegerazer?

GW1 Fort Aspenwoods' map mechanic (Nash Equilibrium):

Luxon (Attackers):

• Players covered the turtles in open ground when it is locked in place like a siege tank that fired long range rocks at Kurzicks' gates, the NPC turtle always had 4-5 NPC hammer warriors covering it, hence it has fast speed, low armor

Kurzick (Defenders):

• Players' objectives were to stop the turtles while covering Juggernaut NPCs that can knockdown/stall turtles (melee range only), Juggernauts had high armor, low speed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woop S.7851 said:

Great ideas! 😁
It'd be interesting to see it in WvW, I wonder if there'll be a counter mechanic to balance it out, the GW1 Fort Aspenwood  competitive missions map had Juggernaut NPCs powered by magic (similar to GW2 golems) that could knockdown turtles in close range using Juggernaut Toss

I guess it'd depend on how the turtles' mechanics are implemented...are they purely a mount (summoned anytime like the raptor?), a drivable vehicle (respawns after 'x' amount of time), or a WvW NPC similar to Commander Siegerazer?

GW1 Fort Aspenwoods' map mechanic (Nash Equilibrium😞

Luxon (Attackers):

• Players covered the turtles in open ground when it is locked in place like a siege tank that fired long range rocks at Kurzicks' gates, the NPC turtle always had 4-5 NPC hammer warriors covering it, hence it has fast speed, low armor

Kurzick (Defenders):

• Players' objectives were to stop the turtles while covering Juggernaut NPCs that can knockdown/stall turtles (melee range only), Juggernauts had high armor, low speed

Yeah Faction was the very first game I played and started out in when I began my mmo journey. I think i'm just trying to look at both sides of the spectrum in terms of the two modes: PvE and WvW because like the Warclaw, it's just a regular mount in PvE but in WvW they have special action skills that can be used. So I'm 99.9% sure that's the route they'll take and since the turtle will have a mastery trait line, I guess it's pretty much confirmed they'll do different thing via in WvW only.

I'm going to "assume" that their mount speed will be moderate or perhaps have the same speed as the Golems. Then as I suggested, they'll likely have high health and the person onboard the mount with you will be able to use the cannons while you're moving OR in order to use the cannons, you need to be "grounded" and then you can use the cannons.

Regardless, it's essentially going to be a mobile/immobile Golem X Catapult with high health and defense. However, your health will likely be shared with the mount as well, downing both you and your partner, so that could be the trade off.

I think that the mount will be great! However, it will be my 8th mount keybinding, if you don't include the Warclaw that automatically swaps the default mount keybinding. That's a lot of keybindings! I suppose I could unbind my Jackal and my Springer, if I had to, but I would refrain from going past 10 mount keybindings. I have my limits when it comes to stretching these fingers!

2 hours ago, omgitsbees.8137 said:

It's actually a tortoise, not a turtle. 

yea my wife pointed that out too, i'm hoping they were watching 'turtles' moving fast and not 'tortoises' like the picture or it's going to be slow as hell 😆
maybe a 'turtle' skin with flippers & fast movement for underwater too then too ?

2 minutes ago, Zarothan.4279 said:

yea my wife pointed that out too, i'm hoping they were watching 'turtles' moving fast and not 'tortoises' like the picture or it's going to be slow as hell 😆
maybe a 'turtle' skin with flippers & fast movement for underwater too then too ?

The siege giants in GW1 were actually turtles, though; as were the ones Luxons were building houses and furniture over. Oh, and they were slow. 

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054

I can´t say much about its usability yet. 2 Player mount can be a fun gimmick depending on what the second player can actually do from the top of the tortoise.

However, you completely sold me on the animation of the thing. The walking of this thing looked AMAZING.

It remains to be seen if its gonna be something actually useful.

Just now, Lizardguard.2860 said:

I can´t say much about its usability yet. 2 Player mount can be a fun gimmick depending on what the second player can actually do from the top of the tortoise.

However, you completely sold me on the animation of the thing. The walking of this thing looked AMAZING.

It remains to be seen if its gonna be something actually useful.

I'm fairly certain there will be a Kurzick equivalent to the siege turtle/tortoise. Maybe not on release, but it will come. It's actually quite interesting how there are possibilities that this mount feature could be utilized to revive Stronghold.

42 minutes ago, Zarothan.4279 said:

not 'tortoises' like the picture or it's going to be slow as hell 😆

From reading, it sounds like the primary purpose is so that people can buddy up (friends or a veteran player with a new player) rather than 2 people quickly getting around together.

My hope is that it goes at Warclaw speed (equal to, at least) - especially if the mount is usable in WvW. Warclaws aren't exactly speedy but it's still considerably faster than walking.

5 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

And finally a 2 person mount and done in GW2's awesome mount style, but on land it is a turtle right? I wonder about its speed, as it should be able to go in the water as well right? And move faster? just seems interesting. 

The dev did say that he'd looked at videos of turtles running on land, and stressed that they actually can and do run.  So hopefully it'll be at least as fast as a fast running character.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, omgitsbees.8137 said:

It's actually a tortoise, not a turtle. 

Easy mistake to make but there are a number of turtle species that do look like that.

For example the Florida Box Turtle
https://live.staticflickr.com/2546/3711109379_529920f13c_b.jpg
Pretty much all Terrapin species are the same too with legs instead of flippers.

Probably the biggest issue I have with Siege turtles in Gw2 is how much their design has changed from Gw1.
Back in Gw1 Siege Turtles looked far more like Sea turtles do, with front and rear flipper limbs.

But this is a very minor complaint overall tbh which could easily be explained by the species evolving over the last 250+ years due to their captivity/domestication by the Canthans.
They've adapted to their life with humans.

Edit*
Seeing posts about turtles running lol
Well here ya go 😄
They most certainly can run on land, and they are fast XD

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Twice in the last few days I've come across folks in WvW who hadn't gotten their warclaw yet. Both times I told them to run next to my warclaw so they'd get the speed boost enabling them to keep up. Just yesterday, I started a new alt. After finishing the beginner instance in Queensdale, I was standing there skinning and dying the mounts for that alt, then trying them out to see how they looked. A brand new player who had gone through the beginner instance with me was oohing and aahing over the mounts. In all three cases it would have been really sweet to have had a siege turtle so I could offer them an actual ride. I do hope we can use the siege turtles in both WvW and open world stuff. They sound like great fun to  me.  🙂

• Like 1

I'm just gonna go ahead and say Turtle and Tortoise are interchangeable with this absolute Siege Machine. 

Regarding the Mastery, I'm assuming that 2 is the default number of players who can go on the turtle, 3 if we include the driver. If so, does that mean the number of cannoneers can be increased? Cuz that would be awesome if we can. 

Definitely excited for this mount! The design and animations shown on the stream were gorgeous and 2 player mounts are always a lot of fun in other games (this one even more so when the passenger has a role to play too!)

Last year around Xmas a friend wanted me to try out their favourite MMO and took me on a tour with them to some cool places in game on the back of a 2 person mount. It was a really awesome experience and since then I'd been hoping GW2 would get a 2 player mount one day! I'm beyond excited to offer friends who want a tour around GW2 a similar experience! 🙂 The implementation of mounts in this game is easily the best in any game I've played so I cant wait to try this one out! ❤️