Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Siege Turtle

18 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

If you can use it in wvw that is going to be quite fun, I wonder if siege disable works on the turtle! hah. 

And finally a 2 person mount and done in GW2's awesome mount style, but on land it is a turtle right? I wonder about its speed, as it should be able to go in the water as well right? And move faster? just seems interesting. 

Can't wait to see it in game! 

Hypeeeee

Americans use 'turtle' as a general term for all kinds of turtles/tortoises/terrapins, including ones which are not aquatic or amphibious so the fact that it's called a turtle doesn't necessarily mean it will be able to go into water.

In lore the siege turtles are from the Jade Sea so I assume they were originally amphibious, but like all the creatures living there by the time of GW1 they'd had to adapt to be entirely terrestrial because the sea had been turned to jade. (Anything which was in the water at the time the Jade Wind struck, or couldn't survive without water, died - you can actually see examples in the Priory Archives in GW2.)

• Like 1

The Siege Turtle I like as a concept, however I do not have a buddy to ride with. However, this might be a good  "Taxi" within a map, although I wonder if you could teleport with another person on the Siege Turtle to another waypoint.

So already a thought: Taxi skin where you can pick up people. 

This opens up Roleplay options.

• Like 2

I just wish we can control it alone and have a lock system of sort. I don't want someone just going on your mount to put you in combat or something 

Switching seat on the mount could allow us limited "full use" of the mount alone if there is no one around to do the content that you need for any reason. You can control tanks in other games, I don't see why it would not be possible for one person to use it at least at 80% efficiency.

Edited by Vekaiel.8493
rephrasing

15 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Twice in the last few days I've come across folks in WvW who hadn't gotten their warclaw yet. Both times I told them to run next to my warclaw so they'd get the speed boost enabling them to keep up. Just yesterday, I started a new alt. After finishing the beginner instance in Queensdale, I was standing there skinning and dying the mounts for that alt, then trying them out to see how they looked. A brand new player who had gone through the beginner instance with me was oohing and aahing over the mounts. In all three cases it would have been really sweet to have had a siege turtle so I could offer them an actual ride. I do hope we can use the siege turtles in both WvW and open world stuff. They sound like great fun to  me.  🙂

To be honest that does sound fun, "Wanna have some fun? Hop on!" and get new players to ride with you and shoot em up'. Show em how fun Gw2 can be 😄

And its awesome,. best game ever, mount system 

• Like 1

I'm kind of skeptical of what purpose the siege turtle is supposed to fulfill in PvE. It's obviously cool, and maybe that's enough. But it's in a weird place where if a siege turtle is more powerful than two players on foot, then everyone will use it and ditch the normal combat system (which would be really bad). On the other hand, if fighting on foot is more effective, then there's no reason to use the siege turtle (which is also bad).

Maybe this can be alleviated by having the cannon be powerful but having an ammo count and high cooldown so that it's effective to shell an enemy and then dismount and fight on foot. But right now, this seems like a very risky mastery to introduce from a design standpoint. It could have a negative impact on the combat system if it's not handled very very carefully.

Edited by Tulki.1458
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tulki.1458 said:

I'm kind of skeptical of what purpose the siege turtle is supposed to fulfill in PvE. It's obviously cool, and maybe that's enough. But it's in a weird place where if a siege turtle is more powerful than two players on foot, then everyone will use it and ditch the normal combat system (which would be really bad). On the other hand, if fighting on foot is more effective, then there's no reason to use the siege turtle (which is also bad).

Maybe this can be alleviated by having the cannon be powerful but having an ammo count and high cooldown so that it's effective to shell an enemy and then dismount and fight on foot. But right now, this seems like a very risky mastery to introduce from a design standpoint. It could have a negative impact on the combat system if it's not handled very very carefully.

You know it could only affect certain targets for actual damage, similar to the way siege works in Drizzlewood coast.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tulki.1458 said:

I believe it will serve as a key element on certain metas.
Gates/Towers/Barricades/Camps in metas should get more damage from siege turtle I guess.
Also yea, the cooldown might be big to justify playing on foot too. And I believe it will be up to players to find the best composition to make a meta smoother ( On foot:turtle ratio)

Cannon fire in WvW is relatively easy to avoid, and doesn't do huge damage against players, and people manning cannons on fortifications usually get AOEed to death pretty quickly so I don't think it will be a big issue.  It will be useful for hitting stationary targets like walls and gates, and maybe a few immobile bosses or something.  Just like tanks in WW2 you will need some infantry with you to prevent the enemy from jumping aboard.

didnt play gw1, so more than the actual turtle (which is awesome), I am looking forward to more multi person mounts in the future (now that they have the tech for it). A full party mount would be super nice 🤪

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Like 1

Not hugely excited, didn't seem like the driver got access to weapons at all and I doubt there's a "switch seats" option. I wonder do they even get xp from the kills the gunner gets? I would guess not.

This is more of a curiosity to me I doubt that I'll get much use out of it. 

i would love if we got a individualization of "our" siege turtles.

like, beeing able to color them,

maybe with guild logo of the one who dropped it (if it is a siege weapon like golem kinda?)

and to give it, let's say one of two different roles, offense or defense support.

would be also cool, if it would have access to different specfic "aura", like the NPCs "legendary commander siege crusher" [or how the guys that u can summon are named, notsure]

like, one of three auras that give smaller group support, depending on which aura u chose.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:34 AM, Dawdler.8521 said:

I remain confident this mount will be PvE only, probably aimed at drizzlewood-esque EoD meta event maps. Its not going to be available in WvW.

Prove me wrong Anet.

I'm leaning in that direction as well...if they do make it in WvW, they won't be allowed to be any more effective as siege weapons than Warclaws (or maybe 2 Warclaws if the turtle has 2 riders), since the Warclaw got heavily nerfed in effectiveness vs. gates to the point that we rarely see them used in that role anymore.