Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Siege Turtle

I like a lot the concept art on eod page regarding the siege turtles, however the 3D model they shown during the stream is meh, less detailed than the concept art. Hope it will have details and not a turtle with basic old steal pirate cannon, but instead long powerful ballistic jade cannons.

5 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

There I was, on my way to the Claw of Jormag boss fight yesterday, wishing I had my siege turtle already and had a guildie riding into battle with me!  Can't wait.  🙂

Siege turtle spam shatterers right foot for the win.

• Haha 1

When they uttered the word "co-op" mount in firstlook, the first thing that came to my mind was "Gypsy Danger" from Pacific rim.

So a possible adversary that we might fight in cantha might not be just castle gates or walls but more like army of enemy siege turtles and some jade tech manned gundam suits...

I kinda imagine driving might not be just limited to walk forward and turn .. the enemy turtles would also be pointing the laser cannons at our turtles and air to land missiles being fired at us we have to dodge and barrelroll and tuck inside turtle shell to activate defensive mode and stuff like that else turtle drivers would hate to be just drivers... Everyone likes to just fire deathray at enemies if driving isn't a lil bit stylish and challenging I guess.

• Like 2

Oh no, I just realized something…if the siege turtle is usable in WvW, I have a feeling that upon using the mount, when you de-mount or are killed while using it, it will have a cooldown of some form to prevent so many people sitting on it and barraging towers, camps, the castle etc… same goes with it having a duration once you summon it. 

I don’t want to think this is the case and it’ll probably be just treated as the Warclaw, however, the canons won’t deal that much damage if that happens, just because of balance reasons.

As far as balance goes, I don't think it'll be an issue. It's a mount, it'll have a limited health pool and once you're knocked off toy need to exit combat to mount again. It'll also probably be less flexible than foot combat, doubt we'll have profession skills or features.  

If anything I hope it paves the way for more mounted combat on old mounts, could be a good way to breathe some life into the mounts that don't fly.

1.) Since you mention siege turtles released for EOD, what about hauler turtles mentioned in gw1? I think having both would be exciting for WvW and PvE. 

2.) Is there going to be quests to raise baby turtles, bond with it, and own the turtle as a mount like we did for the skyscale? I truly enjoyed the progress and hope we will do the same for the turtles. Baby turtles 🐢 are so cute! 

• Like 2

I'm most curious to know if a) Siege Turtles will be a WvW mount as well, and b) if it will be possible to "switch seats" if you're out and about solo. For balance reasons, I imagine the Siege Turtle will be considerably slower than most mounts (about the same speed as a Siege Golem with 25% speed boost), so the Warclaw will still be the primary WvW mount for getting from A to B. To avoid making siege obsolete, I expect that using the Siege Turtle's weapons in WvW will require supply as well. (However, with both mounts it should now be possible to use the Siege Turtle to bombard a side wall, then swap to a Warclaw and run off to a nearby camp to resupply, then run back and repeat the process.)

• Like 1

I kinda guess/hope/believe that siege turtles come with customisable weaponry.... Example there could be 3 types of weaponry that can be mount on a siege turtle

1) aoe based ammunition weaponry,

2) harpoons and single target weaponry,

3) healing, energy barrier and support weaponry.

So... When allied siege turtle and enemy turtles Duke it out with eachother, various types of weaponry might come in handy...

Or I could be wrong entirely🥴😌

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Like 1

• Great ideas from above!! 👍 Thinking outloud:
  • Gunboat = Skiff/boat + Siege turtle? (Sea warfare)
  • Mecha-Siege turtle? Upgradable?
  • Upgraded Turtle (skins + abilities + masteries), it can swim maybe?
  • Turtle has 2 mounted guns, 1 for primary driver, 1 for backseat gunner?
  • Turtle has to lock in place (like a siege tank) in order to use a stronger & longer ranged attack?
  • On the Skiff/boat, turtle can be healed by players by feeding it fish/seaweed (from fishing)
  • On land, siege turtle can be repaired by supplies in WvW or by foods in PvE (similar mechanics to the Devourer tank from Icebrood saga?)
  • 5-10 player Turtle Defense maps/mini-campaigns? Using limited resources while mounted in turtles to defend against corrupted Jade zombies/minions/mobs (PvE hard mode? scoreboard? Similar to GW1 Factions)
  • Jade magic powered airships can pick up a turtle and airdrop them?

Any other thoughts? Please keep them comin' 🤓

References:

Maelstrom ship + cannon sea battle (survival, team work, strategy):

Battle-walker (2 player vehicle):

Siege tank defense against waves of mobs (setup barriers with limited resources):

Edited by Woop S.7851

5 hours ago, Woop S.7851 said:
  • Gunboat = Skiff/boat + Siege turtle? (Sea warfare)
  • Mecha-Siege turtle? Upgradable?
  • Upgraded Turtle (skins + abilities + masteries), it can swim maybe?
  • Turtle has 2 mounted guns, 1 for primary driver, 1 for backseat gunner?
  • Turtle has to lock in place (like a siege tank) in order to use a stronger & longer ranged attack?
  • On the Skiff/boat, turtle can be healed by players by feeding it fish/seaweed (from fishing)
  • On land, siege turtle can be repaired by supplies in WvW or by foods in PvE (similar mechanics to the Devourer tank from Icebrood saga?)
  • 5-10 player Turtle Defense maps/mini-campaigns? Using limited resources while mounted in turtles to defend against corrupted Jade zombies/minions/mobs (hard mode? scoreboard? Similar to GW1)
  • Jade magic powered airships can pick up a turtle and airdrop them?

Any other thoughts? Please keep them comin' 🤓

My problem with this is, that there is barely any content in PvE where this is currently needed, so that would mean that we get very specific content where you indeed will need the Turtle (and maybe all the things you suggest).  Content that can only be done with the turtle.  That seems gimmicky.  

I only see some real need and fun with such a turtle in WvW.  There you already have Siege Warfare and accompanying equipment, a duo-Mount with some serious weaponry could add some spice to that. 

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 2

Great points! Guess it would depend on how it's implemented in different game modes as well 🙂

• There was an article a while back related to game UX (user experience) design where 'subjective' and 'objective' characteristics for any mechanic can trigger 'fun' repeatable experiences for players if balanced correctly

Article: https://uxdesign.cc/ux-and-video-game-design-5d8bcc50be67

Examples:

• Objective mechanic: Turtle designed for the purpose of Sieging a specific castle gate? (WvW)
  • Subjective: Turtle designed for purpose of helping a Guildie/friend/new player to any game mode

The intricate balance I guess will be how the turtle is balanced where:

• In terms of mechanics, it'd be fun to use in Siege warfare
  • Enjoyable experiences for both attackers & defenders
  • Even if 1 side wins, the opponent would not feel like it's due to the turtles' overpowered mechanics or numbers
  • Good examples: GW1's Fort Aspenwood PvP 'siege' missions, or Starcraft 1's (player1-attacker is the 'master queen' sending endless Zerg mobs tactically to push a player2-defenders' outpost/base (who have limited supplies) within a set timeframe

Also in PvE, noticed Forging steel story mode have players play as Charr sieging Stone summit gates, what if it was upped a notch? (thinking out loud+example concepts only)

• Charr team (red team) goal: Cover the Siege tank, attack the stone summit castle, repair tank using jade nodes
  • Stonesummit team (blue team) goal: Defend the castle, destroy Charr Siege tank, repair gates using Jade nodes
  • Time-limit: 30minutes

Would this above scenario generate 'fun' for both sides? Any thoughts? Suggestions or fun experiences you've had in other game examples? 😁 Thanks!

References (Siege Tank in current PvE):

'Fun' UX experience for both sides (WvW scenario?) Too overpowered? 🤣

*Red team commander shouts: "Siege Elephant Turtle" advance! Push! Cover fire!

*Blue team commander shouts: Hold the gates! run Jade & repair, target that "Siege Elephant Turtle"!

Edited by Woop S.7851