Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Gameplay and Elite Specializations [MERGED]

13 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

That’s a fair argument. Having only really put enough time into bladesworn and willbender to give what I consider informed feedback, I can say that while they are similar to other classes (will bender is much more like sword+shiro rev turned into a full spec of its own imo, doesn’t play like thief all that much imo), they still behave quite differently due to their core profession and feel different than what is already in game (much moreso with bladesworn than Willbender, as bladesworn has dragon trigger, new resource management, etc., but will was clearly not finished so…).

At the same time, I did play some mechanist, which felt like engineer with an OP ranger pet slapped on. I can’t speak to specter at all outside of 10 minutes hitting a golem and what thief friends have told me. So I guess there’s varying degrees. 

It's not new.  I've played 1600+ of GW2, much of it dedicated to Core Necro, Reaper, and Scourge.  If I had all day, and the interest, I could write an entire book about the copy/paste that has been done between Necro and Specter.  I've done a quick pull on some of the info from the GW2 wiki to illustrate:

EDIT: Maybe not, lol.  That formatting looks bad. 
I recommend going to the GW2 Wiki and rviewing the Necromancer skills/utilities. Wells, Marks, Fear, Barrier, Shroud that gives access to new skills and a new "health bar" - these are literally Necromancer core mechanics.  Literally ripped right out of the pages of the Necromancer playbook.  Some of them almost exact copies.

Considering animations are being recycled as well, Specter is quite literally a re-skinned Necromancer - which I have already played to death.  As a Theif main, I would have preferred a new Thief - not this.  If the idea is to give someone else a new look at this playstyle, there's already 2 1/2 versions of it on the Necro (Scourge doesn't have the same Shroud mechanic).

The only thing that truly validates giving this role, with that ranged weapon, and those skills to Thief - is the intent to give the class more raid viability.  Unless I'm wrong and Thieves are really unhappy with their representation or class mechanics in other modes of play.

On a final note, nobody is upset about innovation.  Nobody wants to do the same thing over and over again.  Why can't we establish that as a baseline and move on.  We all love innovation.  Reaper is my favorite class and is a perfect example - putting a traditional direct fighter weapon in the hands of a caster...and it works.  Where is it written though that making a familiar thing feel completely different is the best way to innovate? At some point, too much deviation from the core of a thing makes it not that thing at all.  That is what the Specter is, if not a COMPLETE rehash of the Necromancer.

Edited by Golvellius.7856
  • Confused 1