My Holosmith dies alot

medivh.4725

How to make the sword-shield holo die less? It is slow in WvW and stand little to no chance to good human player.
I have since put on a healing turret in favour of A.E.D for cleanse plus regen. Friends says I need to look at durability runes.

So what else am I missing?

Edited by medivh.4725

This is probably your best bet and went the most conservative traits (blast shield over explosive temper): https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Holosmith_-_Explosive_Roamer

Honestly, as someone who mains holo roaming wvw and has also played a versatile number of builds across classes, power Nade holo isn’t the strongest due to the abundance of condi trailblazer roamers you’ll run into. They are a straight counter to you as they’ll out sustain you and condi is holo’s direct counter even with 3 cleanse on cleansing sigil. I had to switch to a full cele holo build to bulk up the sustain and move some traits around to take advantage of burning. Still run sword/shield and nades (although most people would run pistol) but I love sword and have bolt 🙂

edit: not sure why you say it’s slow. You basically have perma super speed on holo 2 with zephyr since it’s a 2 sec cd in wvw plus toss elixir u plus a leap on sword 3. You also have nades to prevent further kiting. 

Edited by ZeroSkitzo.5403

3 hours ago, ZeroSkitzo.5403 said:

edit: not sure why you say it’s slow. You basically have perma super speed on holo 2 with zephyr since it’s a 2 sec cd in wvw plus toss elixir u plus a leap on sword 3. You also have nades to prevent further kiting. 

Not to mention since OP used AED he presumably have traited gadgets (not much point otherwise) and could have used rocket boots, becoming the fastest man alive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ZeroSkitzo.5403 said:

This is probably your best bet and went the most conservative traits (blast shield over explosive temper): https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Holosmith_-_Explosive_Roamer

Honestly, as someone who mains holo roaming wvw and has also played a versatile number of builds across classes, power Nade holo isn’t the strongest due to the abundance of condi trailblazer roamers you’ll run into. They are a straight counter to you as they’ll out sustain you and condi is holo’s direct counter even with 3 cleanse on cleansing sigil. I had to switch to a full cele holo build to bulk up the sustain and move some traits around to take advantage of burning. Still run sword/shield and nades (although most people would run pistol) but I love sword and have bolt 🙂

Echo this. Except, I wonder why metabattle suggests Berserker's armor rather than Marauder's, given the higher stat budget and usefuless of Vitality for staying alive: wouldn't that be better?

(Yes it's easy to self-crit cap on some power engi builds, you can always swap a piece or two to Valkyrie or something.)

Edited by Sikil.9817
clarity

• 3 weeks later...

Holo shines in hitting like a truck, having a very big burst dmg. The other side of the coin is his sustain, at least if u play dps and not protection holo. Compared to other classes the sustain utilities of engi are very restrictive and limited. For example your emergency skill is elixir S, which makes u invulnerable but it does neither remove conditions nor lets u do any other action. Often u only have 1 stun break (elixir U), that only gives stability of 2 stacks and only for like 1 or 2 seconds, compared to other classes that get tons of stability stacks lasting at least for 5 or more seconds, thats pretty weak. 

Point is, if u play against someone that has eyes (xD) and sees that u used up your elixir U, shield 4/5 and elixir S you are pretty much dead. Thats why i think at least in pvp, holo is more like a good teamfighter rather than duelist... at least i myself can outplay any holo on a node at platinum rank, whenever i play ranger (which is stupidly good sustain compared to engi). Also Engi only has his 2 Dodge rolls to evade, while for example a ranger with sword/dagger has 4 evade build in the weapons or guardians can spam tons of aegis and stuff. Hope u see what i mean.

• Like 1