Thank you for not caring about your players, Anet

38 minutes ago, CashCow.9548 said:

Very poor analogue. Perhaps what you meant to ask is; if watching my team play was bad for my physical and/or mental health, would I still go back and watch them?

The answer is clearly no. I'd find a new hobby if it really bothered me so much. 

The OP is clearly exaggerating to the extremes here. Calling out Anet for not caring about their playerbase? I mean WHAT? Saying that the flashy effects are bad for EVERYONE?! Yeah they literally said that.

I LOVE flashy effects. In fact, I think there should be more of! So yeah Anet, keep them coming.

There are dozens of ways to reduce the flashyness, as pointed out in this thread. Rather than Googling possibilities, the OP came to the forums to moan and attack Anet and spead BS about their own agenda.

No point in derailing the Ops opinion.  Many agree and most and don't hide their head in the sand, they say it how it is.  You don't care but others do.

For all we know your system isn't capable of producing the hmm, flashyness but mine certainly is, and let me tell you there is no way to reduce it to a acceptable level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

“Get over it” — Wow, such an enlightening, informative and helpful response!

Yeah, because that's totally all that was written there. Such an ability to carefully pick 2 most relevant words out of the post, it's almost as if you're still bhurt about something 🙃  

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

You don't care but others do.

For all we know your system isn't capable of producing the hmm, flashyness but mine certainly is, and let me tell you there is no way to reduce it to a acceptable level.

GW2 is nowhere even near as flashy and bright with partial effects as most other MMOs on the market… heck, most spell effects in this game are dull. If you are getting super bright and flashy particle effects it is because of something on your end, either your brightness settings in your system are cranked way up or you are using something like reshade and it’s settings are making them super bright. The only time GW2 ever becomes unbearably bright is in events where the screen gets completely whited out. There is not a single spell effect or any other particle effect in this entire game that is blinding by any stretch of the imagination.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Panda.1967 said:

GW2 is nowhere even near as flashy and bright with partial effects as most other MMOs on the market… heck, most spell effects in this game are dull. If you are getting super bright and flashy particle effects it is because of something on your end, either your brightness settings in your system are cranked way up or you are using something like reshade and it’s settings are making them super bright. The only time GW2 ever becomes unbearably bright is in events where the screen gets completely whited out. There is not a single spell effect or any other particle effect in this entire game that is blinding by any stretch of the imagination.

Now this is were I must disagree.  I have played them all (nearly all) and there are none worse.  Yes, they all have effects, but those effects are under control, and/or have a slider of some form to turn those effects down.  Maybe it's the way the effects in GW2 are portrayed, more like a brush stroke than particle effect.  Whatever, they are over the top and then some.  I mean even the passives make you want to throw up.

It's not a fact.  What is a fact is that some say they are fine and some say they are overbearing.  This is a no win discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Now this is were I must disagree.  I have played them all (nearly all) and there are none worse.  Yes, they all have effects, but those effects are under control, and/or have a slider of some form to turn those effects down.

I dunno, BDO seemed much flashier on a number of classes.....

39 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Ah, you found the exception.  Only played that for a week on launch, couldn't stand it.

As a example you have a raid in FF14, I have all animation and effects turned on, that's full not simple.   I never lose sight of the boss nor any of the team.  Now those effects are explosive and a lot of them, but at no point am I looking at kitten storm of lights were the team or boss should be.

The way people keep bringing up dx11 compatibility as a potential fix is...jarring. That's not how directx works. It's like thinking an update to change from CoherentUI to Chromium will let you browse the internet ingame. 

The game engine and the DirectX API are totally separate. It's not a compatibility issue, where DX9 or whatever GW uses just doesnt support particle effect LODs...it's simply that the programmers for the game have not implemented anything to address this. 

As for claims that the engine doesn't support it: that doesn't seem reasonable at all. Only my old PC with a HDD, i'd often load into a city and find missing assets. When they'd finally load in, they'd appear on-screen.

Lots of MMOs have a "clear the view" button or setting. It's feasible, as the engine clearly loads them individually. It's simply a matter of getting them to enable this as a feature...

2 hours ago, Follyfoot.2803 said:

Ah, you found the exception.  Only played that for a week on launch, couldn't stand it.

As a example you have a raid in FF14, I have all animation and effects turned on, that's full not simple.   I never lose sight of the boss nor any of the team.  Now those effects are explosive and a lot of them, but at no point am I looking at kitten storm of lights were the team or boss should be.

Well I think there was an option there to disable effects of other people abilities there (not exactly adviced with OWPvP being a thing there), which some people deem obligatory to toggle on their version of world bossed due to simply not being able to see important telegraphs due to all the fire and flash raining upon aforementioned boss.

48 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

The way people keep bringing up dx11 compatibility as a potential fix is...jarring. That's not how directx works. It's like thinking an update to change from CoherentUI to Chromium will let you browse the internet ingame. 

I didn't make the statements, so I can't be sure, but my understanding on most of those post, was that since AN is already updating their engine to run on DX11, they may also update controls for graphical settings. Also, just because some objects get's loaded late and "pop up" on slower loading system does not mean they have implemented mechanism to reproduce that effect intentionally at specified margin. Rewriting the engine, would also give them nice and sound opportunity to actually implement suchmechanisms.

But long story short my view on this is: if they are already meddling with how things are rendered (switching from DX9 to DX11) there is hope that they will use the opportunity to update the control players have over what is rendering and what is not 🙂

Postprocessing — Controls visual quality such as bloom, depth blurring, portal distortion, character lines, light rays, and selective scene tinting.

Effect LOD — Limit detail of particle effects.

Check-box, on or off.

High-Res Character Textures — Enables high-resolution textures for NPCs and other player character models. Requires a map change for the setting to take effect.

Check-box, on or off.

Light Adaptation — Simulate the way your eye adjusts to light levels.

Check-box, on or off. 

Some of the above might help....

And Anet are working on a way to turn off more effects from what they said regarding the legendary armoury. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

BDO rarely puts players in a situation where 50-100 players are all firing off these effects on one target.

This however does happen in GW2 frequently.

This is not to lend credence to the OP, who's self martyring really does turn the issue into a joke with hyperbole

14 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

But long story short my view on this is: if they are already meddling with how things are rendered (switching from DX9 to DX11) there is hope that they will use the opportunity to update the control players have over what is rendering and what is not 🙂

^^THIS^^  Never give up hope nor take it from us.

10 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

BDO rarely puts players in a situation where 50-100 players are all firing off these effects on one target.

This however does happen in GW2 frequently.

"rarely" -> pretty much every world boss/field boss, which are main source of BiS gear..... Sure it may seem like GW2 has more of these situations due to sheer amount of meta events we have, but in BDO world there are like three things that you can actively do in the game - grind on farm spots, do world/field bosses, and if you are already geared and in a guild, then you may also do node wars (which is separate can of worms).

Also note that for best grind spots you are going ot need that BiS gear in the first place to have any hope to compete for a spot, so the mid-game is going to be basically that: daily/weekly scrolls (best done with party of 5 which already can overload visuals) and world/field bosses hunt, with some grind in between on whatever spot you don't get chased off by better equipped players.

so by the % of content actually worthy doing for the long term progression, it is not so "rare".

• 11 months later...

THIS would be GREAT to have happen.  There is literally nothing else(because we can't modify game files) that we can do on our end to fix this problem.  Sure, we can screw up our entire colour scheme for the entire game, but I'm pretty sure NO ONE is immersed with colours like that.  Turning down brightness only works, when there isn't, ya know, DARK AREAS.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1