Easiest class to play

Evhel.9036

Hi everyone.

I like this game, but i'm terrible at it ahah

I usually am the first one to die, and i feel like i'm not of any use. I would like to ask which class is, in your opinion, the easiest to play, while bringing something to the team, so a boomer like me can be useful without needing to much skills.

Thanks a lot

• Like 1

For open world PvE, all classes have the ability to be played without having much skill. Its less about the learning class mechanics and more about learning the monsters and world around you and having the proper gear. So don't limit yourself to just what could be considered the 'easiest', instead you should find the class that you really enjoy playing.

That said, there are definitely more forgiving classes in the game than others.  The easiest classes to learn in the game would probably be Warrior, Ranger and Necromancer. All of these classes are fairly simple in their class mechanics and are built with naturally high HP and tankiness meaning they can withstand a beating.

Generally, you'll want to avoid using Elementalist or Engineer as your first class. Both these classes have fairly complicated class mechanics that limit their skill uses and (more in the Elementalists case) are pretty punishing if you don't play correctly.

The other four classes, Guardian, Mesmer, Thief and Revenant (if you have HoT) fall somewhere in between. They'll take a bit of time to learn and are built more fragile then the other three classes, but don't have as steep as a learning curve as Elementalist or Engineer.

But like I said, if you really enjoy a class, you can make a build that can help you play it more effectively.

(this list changes if you want to pursue end game content/pvp/wvw later on down the line.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

The easiest build to play is probably staff mirage.  Mesmer is not among the easiest classes to play generally, but this particular build generates the majority of its damage, defense, and boon support simply by using dodge and auto-attack.  It also has the advantage of 1200 range with clones for distraction and it can dodge while CC'd, so even if you get caught it isn't the death sentence it can be for other classes.  The only down side is it's an elite spec, so you'll have to unlock it at level 80 to play it.

Other recommended classes for ease of play include necromancer and ranger.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

The easiest build to play is probably staff mirage.  Mesmer is not among the easiest classes to play generally, but this particular build generates the majority of its damage, defense, and boon support simply by using dodge and auto-attack.  It also has the advantage of 1200 range with clones for distraction and it can dodge while CC'd, so even if you get caught it isn't the death sentence it can be for other classes.  The only down side is it's an elite spec, so you'll have to unlock it at level 80 to play it.

+1, I have been playing Cele Staff Mirage in PvE for like a month or so. You can't go wrong with it. When I'm lazy, all I need to press is like the dodge button and let the clones auto attack. It works even in higher level PvE content like Fractal without much adjustment. I can play totally okay with one hand. It's even easier to play than Necromancer.

Check out my post in the Mesmer forums if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I would have to disagree with any sort of Mirage build being "the easiest to play"... primarily because the mirage's special replacement for dodge actually takes more skill to use than standard dodge does. With standard dodge, you can evade an attack and avoid any persistent damage left in the area quite deftly by simply dodge rolling out of the effect in its entirety... for a Mirage on the otherhand, because they don't get the movement portion of dodge, it takes extra time to get out of the effect range of an oncoming attack, and if it leaves a persistent field effect you will be damaged by it if you were not quick enough. Furthermore, poorly timed evades on mirage are unforgiving while poorly timed dodges can still be effective, a Mirage has to wait until right before an attack strikes to evade, while anyone else can dodge the moment they see the telegraph. That build seems to be heavily reliant on being able to keep a 100% uptime on Mirage Cloak, which I have to say a newcommer is not going to grasp onto right away... tactics like that actually take more skill than many like to make it out to be. Remember, you are accustomed to the playstyle and you are suggesting it to someone who might not be.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

Celestial Mirage may be very easy class to play for vets, but I think we'd need OP to clarify if they're a brand new player or have been playing for a while and are just stuck.   Recommending an elite spec that changes the base mechanics of a class, equipped with full Celestial  gear might not be too helpful for a player who could be a free to play user still trying to leveling their first core class.

Celestial is still pretty expensive for vet players tbh... 30 gold for a full set (not counting weapons/sigils/runes).  The Dire build Aliam link is much more affordable.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

I would have to disagree with any sort of Mirage build being "the easiest to play"... primarily because the mirage's special replacement for dodge actually takes more skill to use than standard dodge does. With standard dodge, you can evade an attack and avoid any persistent damage left in the area quite deftly by simply dodge rolling out of the effect in its entirety... for a Mirage on the otherhand, because they don't get the movement portion of dodge, it takes extra time to get out of the effect range of an oncoming attack, and if it leaves a persistent field effect you will be damaged by it if you were not quick enough. Furthermore, poorly timed evades on mirage are unforgiving while poorly timed dodges can still be effective, a Mirage has to wait until right before an attack strikes to evade, while anyone else can dodge the moment they see the telegraph. That build seems to be heavily reliant on being able to keep a 100% uptime on Mirage Cloak, which I have to say a newcommer is not going to grasp onto right away... tactics like that actually take more skill than many like to make it out to be. Remember, you are accustomed to the playstyle and you are suggesting it to someone who might not be.

I disagree with this assessment.  You can watch the video a bit if you like.  I intentionally played like a potato to demonstrate how easy it is to take down enemies that tend to give new players trouble.  For example, groups of forged and multiple veteran hydras at once.  All while standing in place like I'm rooted and spamming 1 and dodge.  It really is easy and quite difficult to die even against many champions.

Edit: You don't need celestial or trailblazer to make staff mirage work for open world.  They would probably be the better options, but anything condi will work, preferrably something tanky like Dire.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I disagree with this assessment.  You can watch the video a bit if you like.  I intentionally played like a potato to demonstrate how easy it is to take down enemies that tend to give new players trouble.  For example, groups of forged and multiple veteran hydras at once.  All while standing in place like I'm rooted and spamming 1 and dodge.  It really is easy and quite difficult to die even against many champions.

Edit: You don't need celestial or trailblazer to make staff mirage work for open world.  They would probably be the better options, but anything condi will work, preferrably something tanky like Dire.

I did watch the video, I also tested it out myself. The build is a bit more involved than you claim it to be. Plus as others have mentioned, suggesting an elite specialization is a bit of a stretch from the start...

That said... you're alternative class suggestion of Necromancer does actually hit on a solid easy build... Running with all minions, spec Death, Blood, & Curses... Take Flesh of the Master, & Necromantic Corruption in the death trait line to make your minions bolster your defense, the final trait in Death can be any of the three options, though Death Nova will greatly improve your offensive capabilities as well as potential of getting up to another 10 stacks of Carapace for even more defense... you can take Unholy Sanctuary to instantly enter Death Shroud if you take a Lethal Blow if you would prefer a solid safety net as opposed to the benefits of Death Nova. From Blood running with Blood Bond, Vampiric Presence, & Blood Bank will cause you to constantly Heal as you attack, and generate Barrier from all of your healing sources. In the Curses trait line the only trait of any importance is Parasitic Contagion for even more healing, the rest of your choices are up to your personal preference, though Insidious Disruption + Terror do make a potent combination for feeding more condition damage into Parasitic Contagion. Scepter is the ideal main-hand weapon for this due to the auto attack generating crazy amount of Bleed as well as stacking Poison... Off-hand weapon choice is really preferential, personally I like Focus, but Dagger will give you an extra source of Bleed and Warhorn can be a good option too with it's life siphon and daze.

The build can easily transition into Reaper or Scourge by replacing Curses with the elite spec. With Reaper you build for Chill and & grab a Focus as offhand purely for Spinal Shivers. The trade off for going into Reaper is that you lose some of the suitability granted by Curses to greatly improve your offensive capabilities, though the loss is honestly rather insignificant when compared to the survival you get from Death & Blood... With Scourge, you build for Barriers becoming a more support oriented build.

This build, regardless of if you go Core Necro, Reaper, or Scourge; can easily have you sitting at full HP with ~5000 Barrier (or more) at all times just by spamming your Auto Attack... The sheer number of Minions you have out at all times gives you a massive amount of Toughness letting you basically shrug off most attacks, and what you can't shrug off is generally absorbed by your practically limitless Barrier. Incoming Conditions just get transferred to your minions and then sent back out to your targets... and despite being AI, Necromancer Minions can actually do some respectable damage.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks a lot everyone. 

I will try both the staff mirage and the necro.

To answer the question, i have not been playing for 1 or 2 years, and before i mostly enjoyed the level up process with the random events. I'm all about pve. I would like to try harder things like fractals and in the future maybe even raids. In other games i play healers or tanks, but in this one i'm usually the first to fall, so i avoid druid, and tanks aren't really a thing here.

Maybe i'll have more luck with mirage and necro.

Thanks again!

difficulity gap between the classes in this game is too little. you don't need to target friendlies to apply X buff or miss your high cd crucial skill that would doom your group, everything is fast paced even if you fail you can try again and again. so, engineer advertised as one of the hardest one but you have access to so many stuff there's no way you can fail once you just pay little bit more attention to tooltips. 

Edited by artharon.9276
  • Like 1

I think the easiest to learn and play is Ranger. You get a pet immediately and a mobility weapon skill is also available at the lowest levels. Ranger also has good value after L80 in instanced content like raids.

Warrior is ok but AI support is much less than Ranger or Necromancer.

Necromancer will eventually get you a small heard of idiots that can do most of the casual combat for you but that will not be right away and you do not want to use them in instanced combat.

Mesmer also gets AI clones for pets so keep that option open, too.

Edited by Anchoku.8142
  • Confused 1

Another vote for Necro: it doesn't need specs from expansions to be very effective, has good AoE damage and cc, can be very tanky without sacrificing damage and if you don't want to be involved in the figths the minions can do the work for you (specially in open world). 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Mesmer is definitely not the easiest profession to play. Yeah there exist an easy build for open world. Other professions also have them. But if you want to play more than just open world mesmer is not the easy option.

First and foremost play what you like. 

• Like 2

I agree with the advice here. Ultimately what you find easy and fun is subjective.

Try this website and look for the LI (Low Intensity) builds.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

Personally I find it difficult to follow the rotations from other people builds and like to learn things by experimentation. But the Low Intensity builds are designed for beginners and are easy to play. They come with an explanation of why they are effective and recommendations on how you can change to a more powerful build and playstyle as you get comfortable with the class.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, Evhel.9036 said:

Hi everyone.

I like this game, but i'm terrible at it ahah

I usually am the first one to die, and i feel like i'm not of any use. I would like to ask which class is, in your opinion, the easiest to play, while bringing something to the team, so a boomer like me can be useful without needing to much skills.

Thanks a lot

I would def say Warrior. Heavy armor. Lots of health. Big hitting weapons in the core spec like Axe and Greatsword. Good range options like Bow and Rifle. Also brings Banners and Shouts to help others. Easy to synergize traits. Def a great beg class to learn. 

On 7/28/2021 at 4:40 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Condi shortbow soulbeast is easier than that, youve just to autoattack and press 2 and 4.

• Like 1

I don't know what the easiest class is, but I can tell you what it isn't:

ENGINEER.

Unless you enjoy learning to play 1234567890 piano and having the most complicated rotation in the entire game that can be matched by other class' auto-attacks, STAY AWAY FROM ENGIE!

Edited by Kusumura.8642
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Sunshine.5014 said:

This is the truth. MM Necro AFK farming is the most profitable beside straight up botting in PvP.

The OP asked for a profession that supports group content, though. Minionmancer is worse than bad at that. Ranger and Mesmer bring more value, IMO, while having sustain and "pets" that aid in solo PvE but do not become a liability in groups.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Anchoku.8142 said:

The OP asked for a profession that supports group content, though. Minionmancer is worse than bad at that. Ranger and Mesmer bring more value, IMO, while having sustain and "pets" that aid in solo PvE but do not become a liability in groups.

Meta scourge uses shadow fiend + flesh golem when you need CC.

In low tier PVP people run bunker scourges with minions too (I haven't seen this but a guildmate in silver said it's common).

• Confused 1