When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

4 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

On that i dont have an issue with the statement, just as those of us who want them can state we do, so to can you say you want dev time spent on other things(tis how i feel about fishing), its the statements like this however that i take issue with, and with no way to read tone, i cant tell if this, or their follow up posts are sarcastic or not.

Understandable, the sole existance of this thread is already enough of a proof that the claim "nobody wants playable tengu" is false 😛 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, VocalThought.9835 said:

I think they add them. The game was basically ready to come out in September/ October,  but now they say February... they must be working on something!

No, nobody said "it was basically ready to come out in september/october".

• Confused 3

On 8/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Considering the amount of posts about Tengu being a race as well as potential others, I would say Anet has a challenge of figuring out how to implement such a thing. They have stated they do want to give the players what they want. Let’s see what the future brings.

Fórum posts inst a good metric about popularity, theres trends that is only forum "bubble", or "echo chamber", one of them was for example Renows Hearts replayability,.

Another problem is gw2 forum had lots of gw1 saudosists.

Just now, ugrakarma.9416 said:

Fórum posts inst a good metric about popularity, theres trends that is only forum "bubble", or "echo chamber", one of them was for example Renows Hearts replayability,.

Another problem is gw2 forum had lots of gw1 saudosists.

Yea, a better metric would be counting unique responses inside of a post(Which i did once upon a time for these threads), it eliminates the repeated posters, and provides numbers. Outside of anet sending out mass public surveys theres not really a way to get better information on stuff like this though.

3 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Yea, a better metric would be counting unique responses inside of a post(Which i did once upon a time for these threads), it eliminates the repeated posters, and provides numbers. Outside of anet sending out mass public surveys theres not really a way to get better information on stuff like this though.

basically saudosist crowds, or ppl engaged in a roleplay, tends to overestimate value of things that are at end, purely cosmetic.

If you want to play as a Tengu then your best bet would be to hope for an endless battle tonic. I just hope that they, one day, allow us to use mounts with the transformations that are based on the playable characters as thats the main thing that's holding them back atm.

1 minute ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

basically saudosist crowds, or ppl engaged in a roleplay, tends to overestimate value of things that are at end, purely cosmetic.

A race isnt -just- cosmetic though. It comes with lore, story(for example if they had added tengu with EOD they could have had them start at level 80, and the starting story could have been the return to Cantha. Invitation from the new Empress/Emperor, who realizes past mistakes, who knows.) But just like with HOT, they could have done unique dialogue for Tengu playing through the story, thats an example of course, they dont have to make them play through the entire core campaign, and as others have said wouldnt make sense for them to do so.

And well, variety isnt bad either. I will give FFXIV that, it does have a vast variety.

Also, whats saudosist? word doesnt show up on and i dont know what you are trying to imply.

42 minutes ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Would the game spoil immersion if, tengus don't drown and die when swimming underwater? And they have talons to swim? Lol🥴.

And when they come out of the water, all drenched, will they do a wet doggy shake?😂🤣..

Well, we already have hummingbird Skimmer that dives underwater so I guess that's how Tyria works?

On the other hand, I'm more concerned about how to apply fall damage...

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Vilin.8056 said:

On the other hand, I'm more concerned about how to apply fall damage...

No way! Tengus should have 0 fall damage...

And some foods, feast, ascended foods with poultry meat shouldn't be consumed by tengus... 

Idk how griffons will accept tengu on their back while flying ... ExCssss DeEe 🤭.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:58 PM, Telgum.6071 said:

Races are only relevant during the first 30 levels

I have to disagree 🙂 

The relevance of race goes way beyond those 3 chapters of personal story, in my opinion. Many players prefer some races over the others, because each race is unique.

I understand why many players would like to have more playable races available. I just don't know if anet is willing to invest in more races.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

The relevance of race goes way beyond those 3 chapters of personal story, in my opinion. Many players prefer some races over the others, because each race is unique.

It's irrelevant though since your character gets turned into a goody two-shoes generic hero regardless of what they were before joining one of the orders. You need more than just appearances to make something unique, especially different species of creatures.

Edited by Yggranya.5201
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/14/2021 at 7:59 PM, Cronospere.8143 said:

I keep saying the same thing:

We dont need the new race to be able to wear all different armor skins. We dont need the new race to be able to do the entire story from Zaithan to IBS, that would not make sense. The new race could be limited. I think many of us would be fine with it. 

I think that this is a bit naive.  If a new race were implemented without being able to wear all of the armors or participate in all of the personal story from 0-80, I believe that there would be a lot of disappointed players.  Sure, many may be fine with limitations, but I'd wager that many more would not.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

If you want to play as a Tengu then your best bet would be to hope for an endless battle tonic. I just hope that they, one day, allow us to use mounts with the transformations that are based on the playable characters as thats the main thing that's holding them back atm.

Again: NO

Tonics, even if endless, don't allow you to use your wardrobe.

All tonic users look exactly the same, you can personalize your character if Tengu is a race. You cannot do it if it's a tonic.

You cannot use a tonic while under the effect of a tonic.

You cannot use a mount while under the effect of a tonic.

And so on.

Forget the boring 1-80 repetitive story for Tengu. They, of course, don't fit there. Just allow it to be a race without the original story. Race. Not tonic.

Edited by Pirindolo.9427
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

Again: NO

Tonics, even if endless, don't allow you to use your wardrobe.

All tonic users look exactly the same, you can personalize your character if Tengu is a race. You cannot do it if it's a tonic.

You cannot use a tonic while under the effect of a tonic.

You cannot use a mount while under the effect of a tonic.

And so on.

Forget the boring 1-80 repetitive story for Tengu. They, of course, don't fit there. Just allow it to be a race without the original story. Race. Not tonic.

Yea you are right in WvW using a combat tonic in order to get away using a mount you have to cancel the tonic to use the mount and that's a problem. In Pve its not much of an issue but WvW it is and I also agree using the Tonic everyone would look a like and you cannot do what we call fashion wars. That would be a shame since the Tengu are both colorful and pain based on both the game and artwork in the Anet sites.

Right now using the Kodan combat tonic all the players look the same.

Edited by killforbeers.7534
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

It's irrelevant though since your character gets turned into a goody two-shoes generic hero regardless of what they were before joining one of the orders. You need more than just appearances to make something unique, especially different species of creatures.

Again, I don't think it's irrelevant, and those who've been asking for Tengu don't think it's irrelevant either. Difference of opinion 😄 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

I know some people really want one. They're deluding themselves and they won't be happy when it doesn't happen.

You know it, Anet knows it. 

But I guess the key to a successful business is to identify what your customers want and then reject the idea with every fiber of your being.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, witcher.3197 said:

You know it, Anet knows it. 

But I guess the key to a successful business is to identify what your customers want and then reject the idea with every fiber of your being.

I want to get gemstore items for free. Now that we identified my wants, it needs to happen or I won't be happy, so it's going against the "key to a successful business", right?

In reality not every "want" is a reason to include it in the game. New race doesn't add much to the game in terms of gameplay patterns, while it potentially takes significant amount of resources that could be used better -both for the players and the company.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I want to get gemstore items for free. Now that we identified my wants, it needs to happen or I won't be happy, so it's going against the "key to a successful business", right?

In reality not every "want" is a reason to include it in the game. New race doesn't add much to the game in terms of gameplay patterns, while it potentially takes significant amount of resources that could be used better -both for the players and the company.

You can farm for gems in game for free , as for tengu we will need pay dlc or expanshion with real monay, thay only need make one map as homeland

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Quick question, you have been posting for a while 4k+ I am sure you do remember so many negative posts and feedback saying no WvW Alliance it will end GW2, etc... At one point I do recall ANET previous management mentioned way before WvW Alliance that WvW was at that time at the back-end and they were focused at that time in PvP eSport and PVE/LivingWorld.

Now we have new ANET management (Mike Back) and we are going to get WvW Alliance.

So posting what you would like may end up getting it or not but if you don't post or ask we will never know if you get it or not.

As for the some free gem store items request you mentioned above we got that as well as ANET does give us some free items from the gem store from time to time.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1