When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

4 minutes ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

Interesting!!! Care to alaborate? 

I mean, she? Is correct.

While anet has updated Tengu animations and models throughout the game they would still have to:

Make a story(either starting them at level 80 for an expansion or retroactively introducing them to the regular story.).

Make all, or most of the armor in game fit them across three weights.

Make mounted models for them.

Make any animations they didnt have(emotes, weapon skills etc).

All that ONTOP OF making the content of an expansion.

And thats just off the top of my head. I want them too, but an expansion is about the only time they are going to be added.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dante.1763 said:

I mean, she? Is correct.

While anet has updated Tengu animations and models throughout the game they would still have to:

Make a story(either starting them at level 80 for an expansion or retroactively introducing them to the regular story.).

Make all, or most of the armor in game fit them across three weights.

Make mounted models for them.

Make any animations they didnt have(emotes, weapon skills etc).

All that ONTOP OF making the content of an expansion.

And thats just off the top of my head. I want them too, but an expansion is about the only time they are going to be added.

Implementing a new race with the same body structure of a pre existing one (charr), which means that charr wardrobe and mounts are valid for Tengu, and ignoring the 1-80 story completely would take 1/1000 of the resources and time of a new expansion.

• Confused 3

Just now, Pirindolo.9427 said:

Implementing a new race with the same body structure of a pre existing one (charr), which means that charr wardrobe and mounts are valid for Tengu, and ignoring the 1-80 story completely would take 1/1000 of the resources and time of a new expansion.

That is also a negative, i doubt thats how it works for their coding and with the games sphagetti code it could also be very impractical to impossible to even add a 6th race regardless of how much time is saved.

Regardless i have some serious doubts Tengu still use the Charr skeleton. Ecspecially the Tengu that appear in IBS.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

That is also a negative, i doubt thats how it works for their coding and with the games sphagetti code it could also be very impractical to impossible to even add a 6th race regardless of how much time is saved.

Regardless i have some serious doubts Tengu still use the Charr skeleton. Ecspecially the Tengu that appear in IBS.

Tengu is just a name until they implement it as a playable race. Looking at Tengu NPC they look so similar to Charr, except for feathers. But in any case, and putting it simple, they can take the real char skeleton and just switch fur for feathers and horns for beak. While dressed, the difference would be 0.

And story... well, story is not necessary for a new race. If you want to play story you have other races to do it. Tengu start in cantha without the 1-80 story. Without any story at all.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

They do not have the same body structure, unless you consider it in general sense. I mean, technically Humans, Sylvari and Norn have the same body structure, and yet you do need to adjust armor skins for each of those races. Notice also, that the animations for those races are different.

And as for ignoring the story - well, yeah, you can. But that will heavily impact the direction the story goes into. The future story would have to basically start anew, without any more significant callbacks to your character's past - no tie to Aurene, no mention of being once Commander of the Pact, no past ties to all the major NPCs... That works only if you're dropped alone with no support in completely new land (with no plans to ever go back to old regions and friends), or if you invest heavily in divergent stotylines that acknowledge different past of your characters.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 7:57 AM, alcopaul.2156 said:

if i completely made it up, you would see different words other than "Lyssa", "Grenth", "Balthazar", etc.

if i completely made it up, I would associate Charrs as worshippers of Lyssa because Charrs are expert in building Golems and using alchemy to make out of this world stuffs.

But Charrs mainly uses fire, right?

If I completely made it up, you'll see that things won't connect..

But it connects right?

I would even posit that Dhuum is the 7th God made to punish and torture the Usurper Kormir, her worshippers and her mercenaries for eternity..

Did I completely make that up? See "Dhuum" in GW2 wiki..

Coz as the story goes, Grenth "usurped" Dhuum.

Also, Kormir usurped against Abaddon..

so that will place Kormir and Dhuum in the same level of punishment.

But Grenth assumed the dominion of Dhuum - "Death"

and Kormir completely discredited Abaddon by asserting that she is the Goddess of Truth..

Did I completely make this up? Coz in our tribe, this is called exegesis. or detailing the story..

or if you wanna relate this to real life, go read about the Vaddi di li Tempri in Sicily and fit the 7 Gods (with Dhuum & with Lyssa (Twin/Gemini) as Castor and Pollux)

or just look at the Calendar. 7th Day, Saturday belonging to Dhuum..

Coz what is Saturday? ruled by Saturn, a Titan, which according to the myths, eats his rebellious Children, Olympians..

So Saturdays aka 7th Day aka 7th Seat of the Gods ruled by Dhuum (original God = Titan) to punish Kormir, her worshippers and her mercenaries (Olympians = Usurpers) for eternity..

Seems like epic lore from here, guises..

Please don't enable this person. You're trolling and there's no way what you're saying here is in good faith whatsoever. 

9 hours ago, killforbeers.7534 said:

Hello Sobx,

My replies were based on your feedback really targeting on a statement that I did not type or imply what you say I thought you said... funny reminds me of the Abbott & Costello - who's on first.

Anyway, I also provided more information about my other comments. If you cannot see the connection based on my previous replies to your comments then I can't help you.

Relax, I am not after you as I simply asked you a question since I saw you had a lot of posting and I am surprised with so much posting you can't see I asked you a simple question that is all. It was not a sneaky question,  I got you question, or this new so called "attempt at strawman"  -  that is another fight you have with someone else in this chat - not me.

Clearly you are correct having such a high posting count does not mean much or show any experienced in the game or about the game as it could be just posting, yapping, and fighting to trigger others just to increase a count.

So not fixated - Thanks anyway. 

If I am after you or targeting you - I would clearly had made sure you know.

So, no need to repeat my feedback/comment or add more to this reply as I already have provided more information in my last feedback.

Thanks,

🙂

I never said you're after me or targetting me. Once again, your response doesn't seem to be connected to anything I wrote.

I also explained why what you said suggests that's what you think -because if it wasn't, then mentioning any of that would be pointless, context matters. And from where I'm sitting  it still seems pointless in relation to what I wrote. You're free to share your views on the matter, but if you don't intend to response directly to what I said, then please do that without quoting my messages like you did in this thread, thanks. 🙂  

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 2

On 8/16/2021 at 2:31 AM, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

No way! Tengus should have 0 fall damage...

And some foods, feast, ascended foods with poultry meat shouldn't be consumed by tengus... 

Idk how griffons will accept tengu on their back while flying ... ExCssss DeEe 🤭.

That is funny about the griffons but I think Tengu lost their ability to fly so I think they will splat when they land from a fall.

I would imagine if they cant fly they should be very fast runners like the Ostriches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

Tengu is just a name until they implement it as a playable race. Looking at Tengu NPC they look so similar to Charr, except for feathers. But in any case, and putting it simple, they can take the real char skeleton and just switch fur for feathers and horns for beak. While dressed, the difference would be 0.

And story... well, story is not necessary for a new race. If you want to play story you have other races to do it. Tengu start in cantha without the 1-80 story. Without any story at all.

The new Tengu models are vastly different from Charr in how they move, and how they look. As i said, i doubt they use the skeleton anymore. We know they did, on launch, its been years however, and they have updated tengu alot.

Disagree about story. While a racial or Core story isnt needed, after the core story ended, starting with LWS2 is where the story should pick up for Tengu, and they can go through the rest of the story.

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

They do not have the same body structure, unless you consider it in general sense. I mean, technically Humans, Sylvari and Norn have the same body structure, and yet you do need to adjust armor skins for each of those races. Notice also, that the animations for those races are different.

Once upon a time they used the exact same skeleton as Charr(Someone pulled the models out of the game), Not certain thats the case nowdays. And from what i recall the skeletons werent finished, lacked rigging points etc.

3 hours ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

Of course. Implementing a new race with the same body structure of a pre existing one (charr), which means that charr wardrobe is valid for Tengu, and ignoring the 1-80 story completely would take 1/1000 of the resources and time of a new expansion.

I don't believe that a new race could be released without the personal story 1-80 without a large outcry from the player base.  Maybe that's not the case, but it wouldn't surprise me at all should Anet decide to go that route.

This also assumes that the Charr body structure is close enough to make the wardrobe work.  Do we know that for fact?

And then there's the voice acting which would need to be done.

I just don't see Anet going with Tengu without addressing those things.  /shrug

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, alcopaul.2156 said:

not wanting Tengu is like not wanting your phone plan to make free calls to anywhere in the European Union..

it will be a new content. you won't program or make this new content. A.NET will (possibly) make it happen. you'll just play it and have access to it.. they'll just modify some things, add story path (probably most from a little mod from existing/shelved instances), do some graphix programming (as other says, building up on a non-human mesh aka charr)..

yo, new content and you don't want?

they add fishing and you're being sarcastic commenting on fishing..

No one has said they don't want a new race to my knowledge (Tengu or otherwise). Many of us have said it would be great as long as they do it right with the proper content to introduce them into the game as a playable race and slot them into a role within the game's narrative.

By the contrary, others who are really upset by the lack of Tengu race have basically said to hell with that, just give me Tengu for I guess Fashion Wars?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

So in otherwords:

If we ignore all the things that make the race unique to players with little work for Anet ... only then does it make sense to introduce a new race.  

Also followup question: why bother with a new race then? Sounds to me that a tonic is more than sufficient for people that don't care about anything BUT having a bird head and no story. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So in otherwords:

If we ignore all the things that make the race unique to players with little work for Anet ... only then does it make sense to introduce a new race.  

Also followup question: why bother with a new race then? Sounds to me that a tonic is more than sufficient for people that don't care about anything BUT having a bird head and no story. 

Well, I don't know what means "unique" for you. Maybe "unique" means that you have to repeat the same  unique 1-80 story forever  with all toons. In that sense, I agree with you. For me the "uniqueness" comes from my look and my wardrobe, because I spend just a few hours playing that repetitive (unique) story, and then I play years doing everything else in the game.

If you like that 1-80 story, play it with all your toons, then delete one of them and create a new, non tengu one to replay the 1-80 story again. Repeat the process forever, if you want. What bothers you that other ppl can use Tengu as a storyless race? Just ignore it exists.

Another tonic boy? For the love of God!!! This is like the 5th time I explain it:

1) Races allow customization. Tonic's don't. Everybody using a tonic looks exactly the same.

2) You cannot mount while under the effect of a tonic

3) You cannot use a tonic while under the effect of a tonic

4) You cannot use your wardrobe while under the effect of a tonic.

Edited by Pirindolo.9427
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

What bothers you that other ppl can use Tengu as a storyless race? 

The fact that it's a very low value add feature. So low that you have to question it's addition to the game and the sense in it. I mean, your going to hang your hat on having a 6th frame to skin. Why? because the other 5 are deficient? 

Here is the messed up part. You want everyone to ignore the story and the skin reworks to justify the addition of the race ... but your whole point of getting a new race is for skinning ... so what are you going to skin it with if you suggest Anet can easily add the race without reworking the skins? You don't see how that idea is nonsense do you. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pirindolo.9427 said:

And you are more qualified than everyone else to stablish that value because...

What qualification are you suggesting is needed? I mean, it's pretty obvious a 6th frame for skinning that has no applicable skins is less value than a whole race introduction with story and all skins to use on it. I guess my qualification is I'm not obtuse?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Here is the messed up part. You want everyone to ignore the story and the skin reworks to justify the addition of the race ... but your whole point of getting a new race is for skinning ... so what are you going to skin it with if you suggest Anet can easily add the race without reworking the skins? You don't see how that idea is nonsense do you. 

No, I don't want that. Read my post. You will notice nothing at all with the addition of that storyless race, because you will have the same options you had before. But you are one of those selfish people that, when they don't like something, they say NO to that thing for everyone else. 

• Confused 2

You will notice nothing at all with the addition of that storyless race, because you will have the same options you had before. 

Again ... you are suggesting we simply add a 6th race with no story with the SAME OPTIONS we already have ... that's low value add for Anet and players. We already got 5 races we can skin ... what is the ACTUAL value of a 6th if there isn't a story or anything that isn't 'the same options we already have'?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that you worked for ANET and that you know what ANET should put resources on.

I don't work for Anet and I have never stated that I have.  The devs have already posted about the resources that would be required.  I suggest you use the forums search feature and educate yourself a bit more.

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Like 1