When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

25 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Do you honestly believe Anet doesn't know that if you don't make forum posts about it?

Yes, they dont becouse you and others are trying to silence me and others... Joking. I think you are the one who want just to make post here. This is all about - tengu/no tengu in the end, and the thing with costs, time,...other reasons its Anet part so let them say it and stop speaking for them.

Edited by Chip.9267
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Chip.9267 said:

Yes, they dont becouse you and others are trying to silence me and others... Joking. I think you are the one who want just to make post here. This is all about - tengu/no tengu in the end, and the thing with costs, time,...other reasons its Anet part so let them say it and stop speaking for them.

I don't get what you are talking about here. No one is speaking for Anet. People are just discussing the possibility for a new race and using valid arguments related to business considerations to do so. Just because Anet is the one making the decision doesn't mean  people shouldn't bring their understanding of how business works into the discussion to support their points. In fact ... people should do that WAY more often.  

You just don't want people to use their knowledge to discuss it because you know that there is a very weak business case for Anet to add a new race. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

I think Tengu would be the perfect chance to get new players into the game. 

Think about it, new players see a core game with 2 expansions and probably want to play with their friends in the expansion zones. So how do you get them there fast? 

With a new race, which starts at level 60 and as it leaves the Tengu-related zone (which is playable for 1-80) players will be 80. 

It doesn't have to be a EoD release, could be introduced via Living Story as well, but I think this would be a missed opportunity. A new race is a HUGE selling point to players. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I don't get what you are talking about here. No one is speaking for Anet. People are just discussing the possibility for a new race and using valid arguments related to business considerations to do so. Just because Anet is the one making the decision doesn't mean  people shouldn't bring their understanding of how business works into the discussion to support their points. In fact ... people should do that WAY more often.  

You just don't want people to use their knowledge to discuss it because you know that there is a very weak business case for Anet to add a new race. 

You dont get it becouse its not about business. You came here with the same arguments again and again. I told you stop thinking from ANET side, its about things for the game pro and con and i dont realy think a new race will be the doom of gw2 and Anet BUSINESS like you want me to beleave. All you and i can do its come here and tell anet what we like and what we dont, its not about business. For Anet its business, passion...for us a game we like. This is my last reply to you becouse You dont get it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Marcus Greythorne.6843 said:

I think Tengu would be the perfect chance to get new players into the game. 

Think about it, new players see a core game with 2 expansions and probably want to play with their friends in the expansion zones. So how do you get them there fast? 

With a new race, which starts at level 60 and as it leaves the Tengu-related zone (which is playable for 1-80) players will be 80. 

It doesn't have to be a EoD release, could be introduced via Living Story as well, but I think this would be a missed opportunity. A new race is a HUGE selling point to players. 

Well, considering new players haven't got a clue what the story is and how many races there are in the first place, EVERY race is new to them, so adding one has almost no value as a new race to a new player.  

I mean, Anet can make a level 60 start for new players without adding a new race as well ... to a new player it makes no difference if there are 5 or 6 races to do that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What if the playable Tengu is being held as a secret for EoD like the griffon was in PoF?  The only reason why I was thinking this is some masteries are still hidden.  Maybe they are somehow related to getting Tengu to trust you and learning their language and skills etc. Then after you do that you get a little popup lore screenshot saying Tengu is unlocked.  Another reason i was thinking this is that in the recent EoD trailer there is a silhouette of a character fishing, a skiff and a tengu standing on the skiff.  We know the first two are the big new features of EoD what if the silhouette of the Tengu is the third?  Wishful thinking probably. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'd be happy if that was the case because I'd like tengu to be playable, but I think it's very unlikely. A new playable race would be a major feature for a GW2 expansion, it could persuade some people to buy the expansion who aren't interested in the other aspects and would likely generate more attention in the press. That's a much bigger deal than 1 of 5 new mounts.

Yes the griffon is a flying mount so it's a bit different, but all the mounts have special abilities and with gliding it wasn't immediately clear how useful and popular the griffon would be so it didn't have the same immediate reaction as a new race would.

It's not impossible, but I'd be very surprised if Anet chose to keep something that big in reserve as a surprise.

I think the other masteries are probably either things which tie in to the story and would be spoilers at this point or things which aren't developed enough - remember Anet delayed the expansion until next year, that means some things aren't finished and they don't expect to be able to finish them until then.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Tengu would be a massive resource and time dump.

Fitting all the armours, outfits and weapons (as well all the kits and similar) onto a completely new race would be far too expensive for the few people who ask for them.

And then they'd need to create a whole new personal story beginning for Tengu as well.

If Arenanet had the resources for all that, they would be better off using them for other things in the expansion.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

I think it's hilarious how people think they know

- how much effort it is to add a new race when they know nothing about the internals of their software architecture and automations. What if I told you that there is the possibility that their animation armatures scale most of the armor already to fit the body. But again, I also don't have a single clue of how their stuff really works.

- how it will affect Arenanets business without knowing any details about how they use their resources, and are probably not even in the game industry. Uhhh you play a lot of video games? I guess that makes you a professional game industry business consultant. Do you know how much effort a specific department has to put into it? Do you know at the same time if they are completely busy with other stuff already? Do you know how much of the work can be outsourced at which price? No. Because you don't work at Arenanet.

- how it will affect new players and their income when they have most likely zero experience with publishing games

The only thing I can say for sure is that I like the idea of playing Tengu. I really want that. Hell yeah I would even pay for that via the gemstore. If it is possible or reasonable to add is nothing I can judge about.

Edited by Torben.5628
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Tengu would be a massive resource and time dump.

Fitting all the armours, outfits and weapons (as well all the kits and similar) onto a completely new race would be far too expensive for the few people who ask for them.

And then they'd need to create a whole new personal story beginning for Tengu as well.

If Arenanet had the resources for all that, they would be better off using them for other things in the expansion.

Think outside the box: they could make armor exclusive for a Tengu race instead of making old armor fitting them. Yeah at the beginning maybe much less choice but they could build up from there on. I would love to see the Tengu, but given all the circumstances it seems they want to keep development time rather low (recycled animations, no new combat mechanics like barrier etc., not that many features in the new expansion). 

I think maybe also the costs for voice acting is a reason why they dont do it. Not only would you need to record every dialogue from the player from all expansions with the new Actors, but also in future you need for every line hire another two VA for each additional race.

Still would love Tengu thought. Even pay money for it. That new races can work as expansion seller we know from WoW, which have done that for every second expansion.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Gomes.5643 said:

That new races can work as expansion seller we know from WoW, which have done that for every second expansion.

We actually don’t know that, you’re inferring it while not considering the differences in business model, software architecture, and player base. I would hope ANet has a better sense of the market than your average forum goer, but if not, GW2 has bigger problems than Tengu…

1 hour ago, shrew.3059 said:

We actually don’t know that, you’re inferring it while not considering the differences in business model, software architecture, and player base. I would hope ANet has a better sense of the market than your average forum goer, but if not, GW2 has bigger problems than Tengu…

Well we quite certainly know that WoW used new races as big marketing tools for some of their expansions and that it seemingly was effective as they had continued to do that. Therefore it "can work".

If it works for Guild Wars 2 obviously depends on what is offered and what ressources it would costs to create.

• Like 1

Id be fine with some some sort of combat tonic at this point. I love the idea of combat tonics with the Kodan. I with they added more overall.

Skritt combat tonic

Lagos combat tonic

Tengu combat tonic.

The people who just want to play as them can at any time without any major impact on races and whatever. I mean, if  you want to play Barbie with birds, that's a bit different.

I'm in favor for them as playable race as I've always thought they were a pretty cool enemy since Prophecies, but once again I would be fully happy with just a combat tonic.

2 hours ago, killforbeers.7534 said:

Thank you ANET for the merge. 

This can be possible just a matter of time to make this happen since this was one of the original before they launched but decided to go vegan with the salad Sylvari which I do play that race.

Who told you that?  Sylvari were slated as a playable race for GW2 before EotN came out in 2007.

Skyscale and roller beetle effectively added to the value of the PoF expansion, even though they were released in a couple LS episodes over the following years. If they wanted to add a new race later, it might boost sales of EoD a bit as well.

It's not the kind of thing that would be hidden content like the Griffon, though. Fishing and boats already have pretty niche appeal, so the expansion could do with an extra headline feature if there was one to include.