When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

3 hours ago, ron.6157 said:

Tengu yes over the year this has been a hot topic  some wer sad when the Charr wone out but have not given up hope one day Tengu will rule the game that is  just after  Arena net  fixes the mistake  of getting rid of the monk class  i know for one ill make the best Tengu healer in the game

So to be clear ... GW2 is not GW1 part 2, so no, Anet doesn't need to 'fix' the mistake of getting rid of monk because it was never part of the game in the first place. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, The Fear.3865 said:

3 armor types. 

Lots of new faces, hairs, beaks, and stuff. 

Baby seal Tengu face. 

🙈

I agree with this, when I saw the adorable ball of floof in the background I fell in love with it. It's honestly much cuter than Quaggans and Choya for me. It kind of reminds me of a Pomeranian, but more bird.

• Haha 1

Almost every MMO in existence added new races in expansions whenever possible, this is the only game I know of that hasn't. Its becoming seriously disappointing that after nine years, we're still stuck with Asura, Charr (love them both), Fancy Pants Human, Big Drunk Human and Plant Human (they're okay).

We still don't even have tail attachments so no proper way to at least make catgirls/etc of them. I mean, we're not even on the level of FF14, Tera and so on. Its become a bit boring at this point.

The only real claim to fame the game has regards to races is having a truely furry race, which is admittedly an extremely rare thing in games (the most notable one I can think of being Elder Scrolls). But cowcats also aren't everyone's cup of tea, alot of people like birdbrains instead.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Then that should tell you something about how little value adding a new race is to this game. 

Just a reminder their killer feature this time around is... fishing. I don't think it'll make people talk like mounts or gliding was.

A new race would have at least brought hype, make people talk and reach mainstream video game news.

Still feels weird to me that they spent so much time adding animations, faces, armor types, skeletons etc to tengu to end up having them be nothing more than a npc village. Oh well.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, Dawanarth.4601 said:

What would Monk even bring ? It's a Guardian in Light/Medium armour (Just like a Ritualist would be a Rev. in Light armour)

Alright- I’ll go you the monk thing. But a hill I will die on is that Revenant is NOT Ritualist. By any stretch of the word. Renegade gave a flavor of it, yes, and it was built up by devs and hype as a spiritual successor or whatnot. But no. Not at all. If anything, Revenant is a Dervish as far as playstyle goes (and I would argue lore is closer, as well)

sorry for the rant, it’s a sore spot of mine

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Just a reminder their killer feature this time around is... fishing. I don't think it'll make people talk like mounts or gliding was.

A new race would have at least brought hype, make people talk and reach mainstream video game news.

No, it wouldn't. "New race" is such a low value addition for a pretty high amount of resources. You only pretend "it would bring hype" because you want a new playable race. If you're complaining about new playable content -no matter how small in your opionion- like fishing then claiming "tengu would generate such hype!!11" is just being dishonest.

Meanwhile, for old players, this is barely a resking and for new players... every race is  a"new race". Where's the value in that?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, it wouldn't. "New race" is such a low value addition for a pretty high amount of resources. You only pretend "it would bring hype" because you want a new playable race. If you're complaining about new playable content -no matter how small in your opionion- like fishing then claiming "tengu would generate such hype!!11" is just being dishonest.

Meanwhile, for old players, this is barely a resking and for new players... every race is  a"new race". Where's the value in that?

Low value to you, high value for some people. There's (again) nothing dishonest about it and you've now had the opportunity to see multiple people ask for it/inquire about it in the latest trailer.

Some people are willing to spend 2k gems on mount skins, which "content" or "gameplay" wise does not bring anything. But it does bring value. A lot of value, in fact. The entire gemstore is proof of that and let's remember that the gemstore is what supports the game long term. Not everything has to be about new playable content, skins are there to support the game and bring variety, and a race would be perfect for that even if it comes at a premium.

And I will absolutely stand my ground, EoD does not offer a killer feature like PoF or HoT (or Nightfall with heroes, or Factions with its 12 player raids/wvw attempt) did. Fishing alone isn't enough to sell the hype to mainstream.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

If they can give us Endless Combat Tonics for these Tengus, I'd be pretty satisfied. 

The only real thing that separates the Combat Tonics to typical character races is the customization features, if they could give us different looks for different Tengus as Combat Tonics, it's as close we'll get to getting playable Tengu race. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Low value to you, high value for some people. There's (again) nothing dishonest about it and you've now had the opportunity to see multiple people ask for it/inquire about it in the latest trailer.

And yet somehow you don't see the same thing when you come up with your absolute statements like "A new race would have at least brought hype, make people talk and reach mainstream video game news" ?  It's almost as if that's specifically why I wrote "You only pretend "it would bring hype" because you want a new playable race." -hence, mentioning the dishonesty on your part.

...and new race is just low value with high effort needed to introduce, both "now" as in in the backwards and ongoing development.

Some people are willing to spend 2k gems on mount skins, which "content" or "gameplay" wise does not bring anything. But it does bring value. A lot of value, in fact. The entire gemstore is proof of that and let's remember that the gemstore is what supports the game long term. Not everything has to be about new playable content, skins are there to support the game and bring variety, and a race would be perfect for that even if it comes at a premium.

Mounts are already in the game. Skins are added to monetize mounts further. In what way are you even trying to use that as a parallel argument for adding a new race? They can sell tengu armors in gemstore? But they can already sell armors for playable races anyways. Adding tengu just adds more effort to every next release of a cosmetic item, because it would need to fit on yet another race. So what's the relevance of mentioning mount skins here?

And I will absolutely stand my ground, EoD does not offer a killer feature like PoF or HoT (or Nightfall with heroes, or Factions with its 12 player raids/wvw attempt) did. Fishing alone isn't enough to sell the hype to mainstream.

Cool, you're free to hold that opinion, but that's a non-argument here, since gliding/mounts changed how you've played the game and what you could do. New race doesn't do anything like  that, so it also wouldn't be anywhere near "a killer feature like PoF or HoT". It would be less than fishing, because fishin is, at the very least, a new ingame activity we didn't have before, whether you like it or not. New race, on the other hand, is a reskin/tonic with additional work.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Low value to you, high value for some people.

OMG this again ... it's irrelevant if some individuals find value in it. It's not about individuals. The game doesn't cater to individuals.

No, when people say it's low value content, they aren't talking about themselves. They are talking about the game in general. It's low value to players, it's low value to Anet. Even if some people really want it, the cost for Anet to deliver that content to you is prohibitive and likely has low return value to them. That makes it's value to the game LOW. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

I'm neither a fan of both but its cringey to see you downplay Fihsing when, like Gliding/Mount, can be played regardless of classes/races while with new race, they have to come up solution how to fit with the game storyline and mostly good for fashion

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And yet somehow you don't see the same thing when you come up with your absolute statements like "A new race would have at least brought hype, make people talk and reach mainstream video game news" ?  It's almost as if that's specifically why I wrote "You only pretend "it would bring hype" because you want a new playable race." -hence, mentioning the dishonesty on your part.

Yes, it's my opinion and I believe it would. It remains a conditional statement that cannot be verified and you can absolutely disagree and say fishing brings more interest than a new race. I had no problem with that first sentence.
I do have a problem about being called dishonest for thinking fishing brings less hype than a new race would. 

21 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Mounts are already in the game. Skins are added to monetize mounts further. In what way are you even trying to use that as a parallel argument for adding a new race? They can sell tengu armors in gemstore? But they can already sell armors for playable races anyways. Adding tengu just adds more effort to every next release of a cosmetic item, because it would need to fit on yet another race. So what's the relevance of mentioning mount skins here?

The point is there is value to skins and diversity. This is fashion war after all. So even if races are only a "reskin" they're still value. They already did significant work on that specific race, adding a lot of new animation, support for armor, skeleton etc. Yes it'd be more work than a mount skin, but they could monetize it: Selling point for an expansion is one of them. Selling more character slots, selling race swap (although that as a feature seems unlikely). And they definitely don't need a whole new personal story or even voice acting to make it happen.

36 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Cool, you're free to hold that opinion, but that's a non-argument here, since gliding/mounts changed how you've played the game and what you could do. New race doesn't do anything like  that, so it also wouldn't be anywhere near "a killer feature like PoF or HoT". It would be less than fishing, because fishin is, at the very least, a new ingame activity we didn't have before, whether you like it or not. New race, on the other hand, is a reskin/tonic with additional work.

You're not wrong in that it's not gliding or mounts. And I'm definitely not saying fishing isn't a welcome addition, just that it's the one thing that gets added in every freaking open world game and is rarely very thrilling to play (my opinion) and that you don't really see headlines about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OMG this again ... it's irrelevant if some individuals find value in it. It's not about individuals. The game doesn't cater to individuals.

No, when people say it's low value content, they aren't talking about themselves. They are talking about the game in general. It's low value to players, it's low value to Anet. Even if you really want it and desire it, the cost for Anet to deliver that content to you is prohibitive. That makes it's value to the game LOW. 

Yes, the game doesn't cater to individuals. We can at least agree on that.

For the rest... It's a forum where people can give feedback and their opinion so it's absolutely the place to give it. And it's also your place to respond that you don't think it has value if you so wish. And it ends there. Anet decides what to do with that, not you or me.

I really don't get this insistence of some people of just refusing to let others express opinions. We had countless of people constantly shutting down the idea of mounts in the past, every single time the topic was brought up. Thank god people never stopped talking about it cause we got something cool out of that.

EDIT: I get the message that races are barely more than a skin to many of you. It's the principle of letting trends happen naturally without shutting them down due to technicalities. Mounts on vanilla maps were not a given if you go back to old conversations either.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

I really don't get this insistence of some people of just refusing to let people have opinions. 

No one is refusing to allow people to have opinions from what I can see ... certainly, there is alot of nonsense in this thread that is right there for anyone to read ... but what we can see in this thread is people saying things that aren't true to justify their opinions. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3