When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

1) No.

2) Pls merge wtith Tengu megathread.

3) Had you read the megathread, you would probably know the outcome of the poll.

4) I love when people advocate for things they can't spell, shows how much they care and how deep the desire is.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I’d be very surprised if an expac dedicated to a single race would pay back the investment they’d have to make in advance. Not only in costs for VA and time spent coding it, but also time lost on other potential projects. This is likely one reason they stated it was unlikely to happen. 

Anyway, I think the devs are well aware of any demand for new races at this point. If it’s not being added, it’s because it’s more effort versus pay off than they deem worthy. I want more underwater content, but they don’t deem that worthwhile on resources either so we have to accept there are nice things we can’t have. The Tengu drum has been banged loud enough to be heard for many years, it doesn’t appear to ever be happening now.

• Like 1

Too much work? Fie, I say! Fie! Where there's a will, there's a way. I don't know if Sting plays GW2, but if he did, I bet he'd say...

I want my

I want my

I want my Tangu, please!

And Largos, too. I bet they live in a place called Cay Largo.

As for all of you out there saying no to Tangu, well, if we got them, you wouldn't have to play one. No matter how awesome and cool they were. You could stick with your boring old asura, charr, humans, norn, and sylvari, same as before. But I bet if Tangu were playable, you'd play one. Just like all the people who said no to mounts and are out there now paying ridiculous sums for mount skins. I, my own self, didn't think gliders would work (especially in a jungle). But now I soar! So, ya know, there you go.

Still don't get the draw with chairs, though... /e shrug

Edited by Tachenon.5270
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

The issue is Anet have said it’s too much work for little to no gain versus what else the significant time could be spent on. Demands are high and resources are limited and often queued up at the studio. 

Would I play a new race if added? Yes I prob would, but I’m not going to advocate for one either since Anet themselves - not us - have said it’s too much work. If that changes and they can find the time or resources and make it work properly then fantastic.

As for chairs, they were almost a happy accident that came about due to the mounts since they share the same tech. That required only some extra work to implement and very easy to monetise and fund

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2

There's a way to avoid having to make all the past content:  ending the story of the commander.

For example, the new story could start as "The Emissary", someone sent by the allied nations of Tyria, Elona and Cantha into the rest of the world to explore, find new allies and discover possible solutions to a pressing problem. 

For players who started the story as the original 5 races,  "The Commander" would become "The Emissary".  

For new races, they would start as "The Emissary" directly. 

As for replaying old content, it could be done in the Eye of the North. Players of the new races would find there pre-made 'commanders' like Duncan and Anja. Talking with them will allow you to pick one as "The Commander" in your story.  After selecting your commander, you would be able to replay the old story as visions, similarly to how you weren't playing your own story when playing the early missions of the other 2 Campaigns in the original Guild Wars.

From them on your character will be referred as the new title.  And when you are in old maps in which the NPCs refer to the player as 'commander' you'd be just considered to be in 'visions of the past' too.  Maybe even get an effect to tell you that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

My personal opinion on some of these requests, if they can’t even spell Tengu correctly then they haven’t spent much time wanting it. It’s just a spur of the moment ‘I want’ that they put on the forum. 

Their claim to fame one can't avoid
They look like birds but humanoid
Though playing them would be a trip
Their feathered tails will likely clip
Through human armor, and look strange
So what! I think the name should change --
To Tangu

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

Except of course there are plenty of story elements that run in open world.

Transformations are a thing. 

Also transformations that do not really transform you, like the Utumishi illusion during PoF.  

So they could be used for that. While in an open world map where part of the story happens, you would get such a transformation until that story step is done. The effect that gives the transformation could be called something like "Reliving the past". 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

There's a way to avoid having to make all the past content:  ending the story of the commander.

I am completely against doing this. This would be a game killer as far as I'm concerned.

6 hours ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

Their claim to fame one can't avoid
They look like birds but humanoid
Though playing them would be a trip
Their feathered tails will likely clip
Through human armor, and look strange
So what! I think the name should change --
To Tangu

Tengu.  Tengu.  T.E.N.G.U.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Naxos.2503 said:

The story integration poses two problems : Obviously voicing characters is one, but also integration of those new voices and dialogues into the existing storyline and dialogue. The second is story continuity. It has thus far been established within the quasi totality of the game that Tengus, while present took no active part in the fight for Tyria and against the dragons except for a few notable exceptions (primarily craftmen). It would be some pretty strong retcon to have the world crawling in Tengus while all the texts, dialogue and established lore claims the opposite. It would create a lore dissonance.

The only way to get around this is to create an entirely new arc specifically for the Tengu race that, while not actively involved in the main events of core, experience the effects of Zaitan and the repercussions of actions of the character while opening up a plot route involving a new antagonist with a timeskip to present day.

Wow, just wow. I posted a poll asking if people would pay for an expansion that just provides a playable race, taking into account the level of work it would take and they merged it simply because I used Tengu as an example, losing the poll and any potential results within and putting a completely random out of context post into this thread. That's messed up, moderators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NassyNaan.7612 said:

Wow, just wow. I posted a poll asking if people would pay for an expansion that just provides a playable race, taking into account the level of work it would take and they merged it simply because I used Tengu as an example, losing the poll and any potential results within and putting a completely random out of context post into this thread. That's messed up, moderators.

Welcome to the Official Guild Wars 2 Forums, hope you survive the experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3