When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

I'm going to press the hot take button and say "playable tengu and one new class with two elite specs of its own, then polish to the existing elite specs for everyone else" would have been more hype for this expansion. A lot of birds on a weird new class would have been neat and easier to balance out of the gate. 

Personal take, not one size fits all. Just wanted to mention.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 7:53 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

There was a game called Allods Online in which you could play a group of three little furry critters who worked in tandem to do all the skills. I've always wanted playable skritt like that. It was such a fun character race.

That game was amazing in beta, but after release the russian company went crazy and ruined it.. you needed cash shop items to level up.. i left after that.. I miss that game. It was really pvp though..

This thread will never die until Skritt become Playable and when in teams Skritts stats boost.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dante.1508 said:

That game was amazing in beta, but after release the russian company went crazy and ruined it.. you needed cash shop items to level up.. i left after that.. I miss that game. It was really pvp though..

Yes, sadly. I got my ship right before they went crazy. Barely got to use it before I left.

• Confused 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:33 AM, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Playable Tengu race would means new starter area, new story line that will somehow fit into the already existing one, new animation, voices/voiceline, new armour sets..... That would probably be a lot and way too expensive for the end result.

Yes so expensive lol they are making a whole expansion..

3 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Yes, sadly. I got my ship right before they went crazy. Barely got to use it before I left.

I never even got a ship 😞 

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Yes so expensive lol they are making a whole expansion..

I never even got a ship 😞 

An expansion that will bring in actual revenue to make up for the expense and (likely) gain profit on top. 

Also ↓

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Precisely. Thus, they probably do not have any additional resources to spare. I mean, look at the state of the Champions chapter...

A larger (and at least slightly less chaotic) studio might have managed to do both for the purpose of having Tengu be a feature of the expansion, but Arenanet just can't handle it.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

An expansion that will bring in actual revenue to make up for the expense and (likely) gain profit on top. 

Also ↓

A larger (and at least slightly less chaotic) studio might have managed to do both for the purpose of having Tengu be a feature of the expansion, but Arenanet just can't handle it.

Maybe. But then, Square-Enix announced some time ago that the new races they introduced with previous expansion will be their last, because it is way too costly to do that again. Costly to the point where in Shadowbringers they added only genderlocked versions of those two races, and in Endwalker added the missing gender option for only one of those two, because they didn;t have the resources to do both. And not only FF XIV team is bigger than GW2 one (with almost certainly way bigger budget), but also adding a new race in that game is not tied to as many complications as in GW2 (due to both character not being voiced, and your race not having any impact on the story whatsoever).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Maybe. But then, Square-Enix announced some time ago that the new races they introduced with previous expansion will be their last, because it is way too costly to do that again. Costly to the point where in Shadowbringers they added only genderlocked versions of those two races, and in Endwalker added the missing gender option for only one of those two, because they didn;t have the resources to do both. And not only FF XIV team is bigger than GW2 one (with almost certainly way bigger budget), but also adding a new race in that game is not tied to as many complications as in GW2 (due to both character not being voiced, and your race not having any impact on the story whatsoever).

Indeed, my point exactly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trepidation Lost.3469 said:

Either they’ve done it and it’s the best marketing thing they’ve ever done

or they havnt and they never will as it’s too much effort to them. Despite the fact so many players would buy an extra chat slot + the expac for it. Blows my mind. 

Blows my mind that there are still people that think, after almost 30 pages explaining why it'd be so insanely cost prohibitive, that there would be enough people that'd purchase Slots or that would buy EoD that previously wouldn't have without Tengu to make it worth Arenanet's and the general player base's time.  We're talking a delay for EoD by a minimum of a year, probably much more, along side a huge content drought in the mean time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, Telgum.6071 said:

I guess never.

Too much effort for very little use. Races are only relevant during the first 30 levels, which is probably less than 1% of the time long-term players will invest in the game. 

Just make a permanent Tengu tonic like the Kodan tonic and there you have your playable tengu race.

If the thing is about visiting the tengu lands, that could be an argument for a hipothetic LWS6, no new race needed. To be honest I prefer Anet to focus on things that need more attention, like dungeons, WvW, sPvP, new raids, fixing bugs or developing new QoL features.

I like that this now 29 page thread was answered in the second post on page 1.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, VocalThought.9835 said:

Did ESO just throw shade at GW2. They're allowing players to play a Tengu in their next expansion, unlike GW2 

While it would be neat if it was true, but there is no confirmed species similar to Tengu in Elder Scrolls besides a vaguely described 'bird people' from Cyrodiil which most likely never exist or extinct like the Lilmothiit. Nor can I find anything while searching for this information. ESO is one of the few games where I feel they actually have enough races, as every civilized mortal race is playable, and even then you can get a skin that makes you look like most humanoid daedra or maormer while maintaining your character's armors, facial and body features.

• Like 4

It now feels like a running joke as it seems ANET is not able to make or cannot make any new races.

I also know that some expected in this expansion to have underwater fights in WvW for map control that they had from what I was told the first few years in WvW instead of this boring stand in a circle while it changes color.

Oh well, I guess we will get submarines if there is ever another expansion.

Maybe this is End ...EOD...

Edited by killforbeers.7534
  • Confused 4

On 1/29/2022 at 9:05 AM, killforbeers.7534 said:

It now feels like a running joke as it seems ANET is not able to make or cannot make any new races.

I also know that some expected in this expansion to have underwater fights in WvW for map control that they had from what I was told the first few years in WvW instead of this boring stand in a circle while it changes color.

Oh well, I guess we will get submarines if there is ever another expansion.

Maybe this is End ...EOD...

Anet CAN make new races, in the same way I can make a sushi out of a tree root. It's doable, I just have no desire to do it.  The return on investment potential isn't there, even though some people think it is.  In business  you look at how much something costs, what else you'd have to sacrifice to get it and whether it's worth it. Deciding not to do something is very different from not being able to.

You obviously feel absolutely certain that making a new race is worth it. Others are just as certain that it's not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:53 PM, Esorono.1039 said:

While it would be neat if it was true, but there is no confirmed species similar to Tengu in Elder Scrolls besides a vaguely described 'bird people' from Cyrodiil which most likely never exist or extinct like the Lilmothiit. Nor can I find anything while searching for this information. ESO is one of the few games where I feel they actually have enough races, as every civilized mortal race is playable, and even then you can get a skin that makes you look like most humanoid daedra or maormer while maintaining your character's armors, facial and body features.

If you watch the play through for the new expansion you'll see the armor they use, looks mighty Tengu'ish!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...