When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

Hello ANET

As the title reflects:

When can we get a playable Tengu Race?

I still have hope we get the Tengu playable race to be added and please not like the Endless Kodan Tonic.

I know many asked for a Tenug playable race for years and I hope this can still be possible – what a better time if that new race be introduced in EOD. 

Thanks for your time in reading this post.

• Like 23
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 2

I guess never.

Too much effort for very little use. Races are only relevant during the first 30 levels, which is probably less than 1% of the time long-term players will invest in the game. 

Just make a permanent Tengu tonic like the Kodan tonic and there you have your playable tengu race.

If the thing is about visiting the tengu lands, that could be an argument for a hipothetic LWS6, no new race needed. To be honest I prefer Anet to focus on things that need more attention, like dungeons, WvW, sPvP, new raids, fixing bugs or developing new QoL features.

Edited by Telgum.6071
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

What's with all the Tengu posts? Why do you even want a new race? Most people have their character slots filled already, are people really going to just buy more slots or delete characters just so they can play a Tengu?

What's so special about Tengu anyway? 

Not to mention, how would they fit in the personal story and who will redesign the millions armours and outfits that's available for all the current race already?

Just face it, no new races are coming. You'll get a tonic.

And if somehow Anet makes Tengu a thing, well, yay? 

I don't get the tengu hype at all.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 7

14 minutes ago, linkym.2069 said:

what were they working on? on a few new maps, fishing and a new mount? its been foken 4 years since pof like god kitten they could have done an entire new game.

They have one year of work on EoD, not 4. Have you miss LWS4, IBS, legendary armory, the marionette...?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, linkym.2069 said:

Well then what were they working on? on a few new maps, fishing and a new mount?

You do realize how big and complex products games are nowadays? designing those "few new maps" is going to tak alot of time and effort, and ontop of that you have story, strikes, new whole mechanics (even for the mount, which is first multiplayer mount not to mention being a combat one).

All of that while alliances is being in development, and huge undertaking of upgrading the game to DX11.

And most importantly - nearly none of that matters for cost prohibitiveness of new playable race, as the bulk of the work to be done would be from recreating pretty much every single armor skin in existance to fit new body types. Have you noticed maybe a pa ce at which they release armor sets even when not working on next expansion that will most likely bring a couple of it's own?

yeah that's current capacity of their relevant department that actually creates those things. And now you want those handfull of people to go on, and remake all that metric crapload of armor sets (and outfits) for new race. See a tad of a problem there?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I like how other games like WoW and FFXIV get new races with different body shapes added to the game.

But whenever the topic comes up for GW2, everyone just says "Nope, that's too hard!"

The problem with Endless Tonics is that you can't customize them. You're just a generic NPC. Its lame.

That being said, I couldn't care less about these wack bird men. What we REALLY need is playable Quaggan!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

When will all armor and outfits be scaled properly on Sylvari males? They can't handle current race diversity, I'd hate to see it spread out across a new one. We need what we already have improved first. Sylvari also don't have their own animations like the others, still. They also haven't added new faces/hair in ages and most likely only humans will get a lot of new ones like they did in Elona. (and no race changes possible still)

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 4

I was one of those people who really wished it was in EoD. Because yeah i would use that extra character slot for those. But they wont add Tengu as a playable race in EoD. 

I guess if they won't do it now with EoD they never ever will release a new playable race to gw2. 

It would have been fun to see a new side of the lore.. my hopes are gone they will release it. 

• Like 3

the design of tengu, seen in the desert BLs and in GW1, is a pure Avian creature that has the posture of a human. compared to the rest of the races - humans, norns, asuras, charrs, sylvari, the current tengu design is actually off if you include it with the pack coz the 5 characters are built to have human posture and even assuming human attributes.

i think for the tengus to be included to the 5, there must be another creature to be included to build a composite tengu+(insert animal here) race and can be justified to be included to the 5 races as the other charr, which seems like a composite of different animals..

maybe a race of Tengu+Snake composite human(-like characters)

Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I'd settle for a few combat tonics with different outfits that already exist on Tengu models.

Honestly i would too. A male and a female model, with maybe a few in different colours. Bonus points if they allow weapons and such to be stowed on them, and quadruple bonus points if mounts are allowed xD

6 hours ago, Magek.4718 said:

I like how other games like WoW and FFXIV get new races with different body shapes added to the game.

Notice, how FF XIV races have absolutely zero impact on the story - even in places where they should have. Additionally, the player character in that game is not voiced. It lets them add races much more easily than in GW2, but at a price of your race not mattering at all (and the lack of voice is also no small matter). Also, notice how FF added only 3 races so far (2 being still incomplete, with one of those getting both genders only in the next expansion, and the other having to wait for their turn still), and how devs mentioned those were the last ones - there won't be any more races added later.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1