When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

It could be a possibility and one of the things they didn't reveal yet because last stream was just a first look and a few more streams will follow in the few months. I've seen tengu models sitting on the new skiffs in the footage that was shown so maybe they become playable or it was just a companion and we might get a heroes/henchmen system again (which I'd greatly appreciate because it was a good feature in gw1 and it also works kinda well in ESO with their companion system and it would be nice for solo players and roleplayers too) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Neither. People are making it up. They might have mentioned once the work that would be involved in adding another race, but they never said it was off the table.

Thank you very much for your reply now it makes sense why so many postings and questions about adding a race or in this case a playable Tengu.

So the bottom line is ANET has neither confirmed or denied a future playable race or in this case a playable Tengu.

Well fellow players.. keep posting your topics and maybe ANET will either reply or add it to the game in the future.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Naomi Nightfisher.4138 said:

I personally dont really care.   Tengu arent even on my radar as something remotely "Cool".

If they had a Tengu option, I wouldnt play it.

I respect your comment but others will play them.

For example, for now I also dont care much for Charr and I dont play them but many do play them and like them.  Now I may play them in the future - sure maybe.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, killforbeers.7534 said:

Thank you very much for your reply now it makes sense why so many postings and questions about adding a race or in this case a playable Tengu.

So the bottom line is ANET has neither confirmed or denied a future playable race or in this case a playable Tengu.

Well fellow players.. keep posting your topics and maybe ANET will either reply or add it to the game in the future.

While they never flat out denied the possibility, they did present it as unlikely more than once.

few relevant links i could find (those are not the only cases where they addressed it, there were few others in pretty much the same vein):

https://massivelyop.com/2018/04/09/pax-east-2018-guild-wars-2-game-director-mike-zadorojny-on-path-of-fire-monetization-and-more/

https://www.shacknews.com/article/87848/guild-wars-2-director-discusses-heart-of-thorns-revenants-guild-halls-and-more

Relevant quotes from those three:

We also talked a bit about things that are probably not happening. New professions, for example, have probably been sidelined forever in favor of new elite specializations; they allow the team to change the feel of a given profession without actually forcing you to play a new character along the way. New races, too, are a lot of work for limited rewards, and any sort of console development is also not something the team is focused on.

I asked whether they have even considered adding a new race for PoF. Mike said that no and then added that new races in GW2 are "not impossible but very unlikely" to appear in the future. Implementing them would require a lot of resources that can be spent better on creating new content relevant for all players.

and

Shacknews: You've added a new profession, however you did hold off on adding a new race. What led to this decision?

Johanson: For this one, we looked at what we would get out of adding a new race and what benefit it actually brings to the players from a gameplay standpoint. It's very limited in Guild Wars 2. A new race adds a racial skill or two and a little bit of story, but it doesn't give that much meaningful gameplay in the grand scheme of things. The race is more context for the early story that you experience. So we wanted to focus things that would provide a lot more gameplay and address parts of Guild Wars 2 that we felt like we really wanted to be able to make a better experience and grow. So right now, we didn't feel that a new race was a key need for the game, whereas the other things that we're adding really provide fundamental building blocks for the future.

Basically, they are not ruled out, but considered to not be worth the resources needed to make them. Especially since they didn't think of them as a very important addition to the game.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

the links are +5 years ago.

they can introduce hooks about the tengu lore in EoD that will lead to another expansion like introducing the Tengu or some form of Tengu being a playable Race, after the EoD is officially released, as $$mini expansion and they will just add Specializations for future expansions built for them along with opening up of new lands/worlds to discover along with updates about Cantha and the old Vanilla world (+HoT&+PoF).

yo, we have seen client haxx like characters flying which were justified by the flying dragon mount so the Tyrian lore can even go to outer space by the genius magical gadgets of the Asura.

you see the Airships in SMC and the Prelude to PoF? that could even go to space..

As per the Journey song,  "the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on and on..."

Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

30 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

While they never flat out denied the possibility, they did present it as unlikely more than once.

few relevant links i could find (those are not the only cases where they addressed it, there were few others in pretty much the same vein):

https://massivelyop.com/2018/04/09/pax-east-2018-guild-wars-2-game-director-mike-zadorojny-on-path-of-fire-monetization-and-more/

https://www.shacknews.com/article/87848/guild-wars-2-director-discusses-heart-of-thorns-revenants-guild-halls-and-more

Relevant quotes from those three:

and

Basically, they are not ruled out, but considered to not be worth the resources needed to make them. Especially since they didn't think of them as a very important addition to the game.

Thank you very much for this reply and I do agree they did not provide a true reply and kept the door open for future possibilities.

I did notice the following from the article you provided (your link below) which is very important and maybe why there are still postings about a new playable race.

"Obviously, none of this is set in stone; he stressed that the quote to take away is not that new races will never be added. It’s just not the current direction."

Maybe now is the time in the past it seems it was not possible or not that current direction they wanted. However, I do recall that Mike stated that EOD is not the end but a begining (something like that dont recall the exact words) but from what I got out of it is it is going into a new direction so maybe just maybe if not now in EOD the next expansion could have a new race and other items players would like that they are posting.

Edited by killforbeers.7534
  • Like 3

They did not close the door because that's how they usually act. There's very few things they ever said will never be done in this game. Most of the stuff they will never do is still "on the table". Just not the table in the main room, but the one in the basement, covered with years of dust.

The most damning part of those quotes is actually the part where they clearly do not consider the new race addition to be of any importance - because that is what pretty much kills the chance of it ever happening. As they see it, it is not really all that important, but requires a lot of resources. So, it's just not worth it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

I personally wont like or use a combat tonic. I dont understand why people like those. No background story, no adjustable looks. 

I'm hoping that now they don't add it to EoD they will give an official statement on why not. It's the most requested feature since the start of gw2. 

I understand why people keep requesting it. 

They said they didnt want to do mounts. We requested. They delivered. 

Snip

They never said this tho, what they did say when people asked about mounts was there wont be any mounts at release.

Then over the years when mounts was  brought up they stayed silent while I among other said mounts was not needed since we had waypoints.

Now mounts are a good thing added sure but they screwed up the waypoint placements in later maps to make them useful.

• Like 1

While the chance to get the Tengu as a playable race is unlikely, I think a lot of us has had it in the back of our minds that they could come eventually. Ever since the beginning, we've had that little spark of hope. For me, it comes from the "Minor Races" section of "The Making of Guild Wars 2" book that came with the collector's edition.  I pulled it out so as to share the quote here-

Character Art Team Lead Aaron Coberly explains," The tengu were originally considered for inclusion as a playable race, but we pulled back and settled on the five races you now see in the game. We had a big walled city in the middle of the map that was going to house the tengu. That city is still there-- you can't get in-- but you might run into a few just outside the walls at trading posts." According to Coberly, the tengu are a race with a lot of future appeal. They may even evolve in a broader bird-sense and perhaps pull from a larger variety of bird species.

This was, of course, written many years ago, even still I've always have had a little hope that we'll play Tengu one day, the race that was cut from being playable. I'll definitely welcome if the Tengu are released as a playable race... I know I'll make a good handful of them! Anet has done well to make them unique and break the bonds of normal fantasy molds. It would be a lot of work... Not just technical, but story wise too. However, ANET has made some great tools and are fantastic engineers and writers that even to this day, other MMOs are behind on, even the newer ones. At least ANET hasn't given a definite "No"... yet. So, that's my two cents 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 8:54 AM, Carnibulos.9078 said:

Hello ANET

As the title reflects:

When can we get a playable Tengu Race?

I still have hope we get the Tengu playable race to be added and please not like the Endless Kodan Tonic.

I know many asked for a Tenug playable race for years and I hope this can still be possible – what a better time if that new race be introduced in EOD. 

Thanks for your time in reading this post.

Most likely?  Guild Wars 3.

• Haha 1

If you are looking for opinions, I wouldn't mind a new race, but it's not something I really want.

I'm more interested for the Tengu to play bigger part in the future story. I want to see the Dominion of Winds and perhaps some Tengu areas in Cantha.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:00 PM, Veprovina.4876 said:

What's with all the Tengu posts? Why do you even want a new race? Most people have their character slots filled already, are people really going to just buy more slots or delete characters just so they can play a Tengu?

What's so special about Tengu anyway? 

Not to mention, how would they fit in the personal story and who will redesign the millions armours and outfits that's available for all the current race already?

Just face it, no new races are coming. You'll get a tonic.

And if somehow Anet makes Tengu a thing, well, yay? 

I don't get the tengu hype at all.

Going by your profile pic you play a Charr, is that correct? Charr wasn't a playable race in GW1 and Anet could've left them out in GW2. Would prefer if GW2 had no playable Charr? If Anet discontinued making armor for Charr saying it's too much effort, just roll human?

Some people like Charr. Some like humans. Others like Tengu. The more races you have, the broader audience you appeal to.

And the fact that you say most people have their slots filled and still don't see why Tengu would be a good business decision speaks volumes about your lack of imagination. New race = people buy new character slots to make said new race. Not only helps sell the expansion but also a bunch of gem store items like character slots, new skins that match Tengu, etc.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, witcher.3197 said:

Going by your profile pic you play a Charr, is that correct? Charr wasn't a playable race in GW1 and Anet could've left them out in GW2. Would prefer if GW2 had no playable Charr? If Anet discontinued making armor for Charr saying it's too much effort, just roll human?

Some people like Charr. Some like humans. Others like Tengu. The more races you have, the broader audience you appear to.

And the fact that you say most people have their slots filled and still don't see why Tengu would be a good business decision speaks volumes about your lack of imagination. New race = people buy new character slots to make said new race. Not only helps sell the expansion but also a bunch of gem store items like character slots, new skins that match Tengu, etc.

Yeah but you seem to forget that this is a pay once play forever type of deal. What you're asking for is not only ridiculous because they have to go back and rework a lot of things! I don't care if we get Tengus! But they need to fix Charrs and Asurans clipping issues on top of actually putting in different gender outfits for them. You're here crying for diversity on a new face that makes no sense when there's race that makes sense that is still having some issues. Before starting a new fire, they should put out the current ones.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Veka.8710 said:

Yeah but you seem to forget that this is a pay once play forever type of deal. What you're asking for is not only ridiculous because they have to go back and rework a lot of things! I don't care if we get Tengus! But they need to fix Charrs and Asurans clipping issues on top of actually putting in different gender outfits for them. You're here crying for diversity on a new face that makes no sense when there's race that makes sense that is still having some issues. Before starting a new fire, they should put out the current ones.

By that logic don't release Cantha while there are bugged events or abandoned maps in core Tyria. Spend 3 years fixing every little thing and delay EoD until 2025, sure sounds like a great business decision.

With EoD Anet needed to prove that they are serious about GW2 and that they can deliver. A new race would've been the perfect opportunity to do just that. Instead we got fishing yay. None of my friends are going to reinstall for that and I can guarantee that a new race would catch the eye of potential new players more than fishing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The links are from 5+ years ago and yet the new playable race presents similarly low/no value to do game as it did then.

Because fishing is the kind of high value feature that will sell this expansion and make this game rebound after a 5 year long ongoing disaster of mismanagement lmao

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, witcher.3197 said:

By that logic don't release Cantha while there are bugged events or abandoned maps in core Tyria. Spend 3 years fixing every little thing and delay EoD until 2025, sure sounds like a great business decision.

With EoD Anet needed to prove that they are serious about GW2 and that they can deliver. A new race would've been the perfect opportunity to do just that. Instead we got fishing yay. None of my friends are going to reinstall for that and I can guarantee that a new race would catch the eye of potential new players more than fishing.

You honestly think a NEW RACE will prove that they're serious? You're crying over a cosmetic issue and you're comparing it to something more? You are hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, witcher.3197 said:

Going by your profile pic you play a Charr, is that correct? Charr wasn't a playable race in GW1 and Anet could've left them out in GW2. Would prefer if GW2 had no playable Charr?

Oh wow, your logic... If they didn't make Charr a playable race i never would have known the difference of not being able to play Charr. I would have just made some race that was available and play that, i wouldn't "prefer" anything if that thing didn't exist in the first place.

You're acting like Tengu was once an option, you got to experience it and then Anet screwed you and said "no more tengu for you".

Tengu was never a race in GW2 so your argument doesn't make sense.

If Anet discontinued making armor for Charr saying it's too much effort, just roll human?

What kind of argument is that? What even are you arguing with this? Charr were in the game since day 1, all the armors and outfits were made with Charr in mind because they were a playable race. They will never make armors that exclude one race except the cultural ones so what you said is beyond pointless

I'm assuming this has something to do with your Tengu argument? Then let me break it down for you.

Tengu were never in the game as a playable race (captain obvious), and if they were, Anet would make armors from the start as they were making them. To make Tengu playable now, they would retroactively have to remodel ALL armors to fit Tengu male and female characters. You don't get to act like you were wronged or theorize "what if anet screwed one race" because it's not the same thing. Charr were given armors as they were rolling out with everyone, one at a time. Tengu would have to be given all armors retroactively all at once.

Some people like Charr. Some like humans. Others like Tengu. The more races you have, the broader audience you appeal to.

And? What's your point? Tengu were still never in the game, so whatever Anet decided was appropriate for the game when it released is in the game now. Not to mention, all the races had a role in the story, and all stories so far, not to mention geography. Where do Tengu fit in now?

And no, a new race won't appeal to anyone except few vocal players that were always into tengu. Everyone else accepted their choices and picked a character from those.

Dont' get me wrong, if they somehow fit Tengu into the game, make all armors for them, cultural armors just for Tengu, and somehow fit them into the story organically, i'll make a Tengu too. I dont' care, i prefer beast races to boring humans anyway, but i'm being realistic in my expectations while you're really reaching deep with your arguments to justify making Tengus playable just because "YOU" want to play one.

Funny how you insult my lack of imagination when yours is so obviously lacking even more.

Wooooow, character slot sales, woohhooo! That's gonna make Anet rich.

Forget about how much it would cost to hire programmers, animators, 3D artists, designers and more just to make Tengu playable. Yeah, it'll all be worth it just so they can sell new 800 gem character slots to the few people that have theirs full and would play a Tengu in the first place.

Meanwhile - DX11 future proofs the game, opens doors to more engine changes meaning the game will survive for longer (meaning it will generate revenue longer - that means more money), Steam release will open up a whole new market to the people that might have not considered the game before and those who never hear of it (steam is a great advertising platform and a bigger audience also means more money), new expansion is going to bring back people who maybe left, is going to bring revenue from exisitng players and in the end - gemstore items, armors, weapon skins and outfits are STILL going to bring most money for minimal effort involved in making them.

TL;DR:

I'd rather they spend their resources on something else. © ™

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

46 minutes ago, Veka.8710 said:

You know for the clipping ANET can also say "...It’s just not the current direction..."    🙂

It did not stop ANET from providing capes and then added a checkbox to show or hide the cape, backitems, and checkbox for weapons at least that is something. I am sure someone would reply to your comment about this clipping and say something like... "Why spend time on clipping when they can " place your comment/complaint here"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

Because fishing is the kind of high value feature that will sell this expansion and make this game rebound after a 5 year long ongoing disaster of mismanagement lmao

Fishing is a new activity, new race is not. Almost comparable 🙃 

• Confused 1