When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

A good portion of the end-game is mostly just cosmetic gathering and fashion, a new race gives a new reason to go for aesthetics that someone would otherwise not go for. Not everyone will go for it, just like I doubt anyone is going to buy EoD for fishing. Plus it's not like the developers really care about how it is going to impact the earlier content. We still have Charr in the Citadel calling Gaheron a threat and a charr is planning on taking him down, and also everything mounts ruin. But if they did go for the race, it would likely be an unlock after doing a story quest, and the race itself would likely have little more than a singular personal story quest and not have the Core, HoT, or PoF story available to them, one because they weren't around for those times and secondly it is just a lot of work. I'd like to see them, but there is more important mechanics to add, like reeling in a fish or making jumping puzzles and HoT super easy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

Going by your profile pic you play a Charr, is that correct? Charr wasn't a playable race in GW1 and Anet could've left them out in GW2. Would prefer if GW2 had no playable Charr?

If that would mean Anet would not need to butcher the settings lore in order to put all the playable races on the same level? Sure i would. Even if i consider the Charr to be the best ever attempt at making catboys and catgirsl in all MMORPGs so far.

3 hours ago, Veka.8710 said:

You honestly think a NEW RACE will prove that they're serious? You're crying over a cosmetic issue and you're comparing it to something more? You are hilarious. 

Why not? A new race takes a lot of resources, we both know that. And that's precisely how a company can reassure players that the money they put into the game gets reinvested into the game to give them things they want instead of you know, shady side projects.

They've just had mass layoffs not long ago and a collapse on management because they've all but abandoned GW2 to go work on other games.

Yes, Tengu would've showed that they are serious about refocusing on GW2 and willing to do big, ambitious things. Fishing being the main selling point after 2 years of barely any content and 5 years since last expansion doesn't scream "this game has a future, GW2's going strong" to me.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

^

There are already Tengu weapons being sold in the Trading Post. and as I've said in my previous post, they can have their exclusive/cultural armor trickling in every (mini) expansion or BLTC new sold items but they can still use the generic armors including the legendary armors gotten from which ever mode of play - PvP, WvW, PvE.

Pretty sure that they won't have problems in armor clipping coz feathers will go with the shape of the skin+bones say when that skin+bones are wrapped on what? cloth? or maybe visualize a chicken and wrap its body with say a stocking and you'll see no feathers protruding and just see the actual shape of the chicken..

or something like that.

thus armor clipping won't really be an issue for them..

Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Like 1

Funny how people that still ask for tengu never adress the most important point of why we will never ave them (or in a not limited way (like no old amors))

Which is :

- you have to remodels every single armors piece of the game.
- you have yo redub every single lines of the game.

Now if you anwser with any other anwsers that don't anwsers theses two points, you are a lost cause.

The only way i can see them implement them is:

- No others armors than culturals ones.

- Few body shape

- No voice dub for old missions (or just can't play them for lore reasons).

And even if they do that now there is everyone complaining it's too limited and they should adress theses points.

Edited by WindBlade.8749
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, WindBlade.8749 said:

Funny how people that still ask for tengu never adress the most important point of why we will never ave them (or in a not limited way (like no old amors))

Which is :

- you have to remodels every single armors piece of the game.
- you have yo redub every single lines of the game.

Now if you anwser with any other anwsers that don't anwsers theses two points, you are a lost cause.

The only way i can see them implement them is:

- No others armors than culturals ones.

- Few body shape

- No voice dub for old missions (or just can't play them for lore reasons).

And even if they do that now there is everyone complaining it's too limited and they should adress theses points.

I think tengu should not have a playable version of past instances. They could just have a summary of past events in their "this is my story" cutscene where they explain their origin and how they became the commander and champion of aurene. (The players race does not matter anywhere once you join one of the orders in the grand scheme of things, even sylvari only had a minor change during HoT. A Tengu could just as easily have become the pact commander.)

About armor: I think something everyone seems to forget is that you can just add armors progressively over time. Have tengu be able to use a set amount of armors when they release, you don't need to have all of them avaliable. Then just trickle them in in patches like "The CoF dungeon armor has been added as an option for Tengu players."

I play FF14 where they recently (2 years ago on its last expansion) added 2 new races. One of them are literaly humans with bunny ears, and one are kinda anthropomorphic cats. While the cats have a slightly bigger frame, they are still using mainly the same body and animations as another existing, fully armored race. Both bunnies and cats cannot use most helmets in the game because of the facial features, according to the devs. While it sucks, I myself would rather play a helmetless beast race than any of the existing races. Concessions for adding a new race can be made, and I think players are intelligent enough that they could accept a "hey, this race will release with a limited subset of armors avaliable, and we will be adding more over time", the same way we had Gen 2 legendaries being released over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

Why not? A new race takes a lot of resources, we both know that. And that's precisely how a company can reassure players that the money they put into the game gets reinvested into the game to give them things they want instead of you know, shady side projects.

If someone won't get reassured by the fact they're redoing the game engine, they won't be reassured by the Tengu either.

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

What do you mean, exactly? There was a DLC/add-on/whatever you want to call it, I just have a terrible memory for names. I remember accompanying Master Togo and having all those great duels and fights with all those "legends" - was it present time, not the past in which we relived those events? :classic_blink: It's been so long, sorry.

This was part of the Bonus Mission pack. Essentially each campaign/expansion had a bonus mission devoted to it. For Prophecies you played as Saul D'Alessio during the Charr invasion of Kryta and seeing thee rise of the White Mantle. For Nightfall, you played as Turai Ossa as his forces clashed with the Awakened at Jahai and you get to play out the duel with Palawa Joko. For Eye of the North, you play Gwen as she escapes her imprisonment from the Charr and meets the Ebon Vanguard. 

And finally for Factions, you play as Master Togo as he attends a peace summit between Cantha and the Tengu - which ends up being a trap setup by the War minister.

Yes, technically these are all events in the past as you play them.

Edited by Faridah.8431

Just now, Faridah.8431 said:

This was part of the Bonus Mission pack. Essentially each campaign/expansion had a bonus mission devoted to it. For Prophecies you played as Saul D'Alessio during the Charr invasion of Kryta and seeing thee rise of the White Mantle. For Nightfall, you played as Turai Ossa as his forces clashed with the Awakened and you get to duel Palawa Joko. For Eye of the North, you play Gwen as she escapes her imprisonment from the Charr and meets the Ebon Vanguard. 

And finally, you play as Master Togo as he attends a peace summit between Cantha and the Tengu.

Yes, technically these are all events in the past as you play them.

Thanks, has been resolved already, but all the detailed reminders are appreciated.

I loved all those missions and played through them on every single character. They were so much fun - such great, diverse content that was story-wise. I wonder why the devs of GW2 lack the inspiration for such things or just seem incapable of getting the feel of a classic adventure across. I think they are focusing too much on technology in Tyria and making everything "more modern" that they are neglecting the greatness of the simple things that make a fantasy setting meaningful and deep (and no, I am not talking about fishing, although that will certainly be fun as well 😉 ).

Anyway, back on topic: I think the portayal of tengu in GW1 was intriguing - I'd love to be able to play one, but am also scared ANet might butcher the experience by, for instance, using terrible voicing and voice effects like the tengu we met in the DRM.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Thanks, has been resolved already, but all the detailed reminders are appreciated.

I loved all those missions and played through them on every single character. They were so much fun - such great, diverse content that was story-wise. I wonder why the devs of GW2 lack the inspiration for such things or just seem incapable of getting the feel of a classic adventure across. I think they are focusing too much on technology in Tyria and making everything "more modern" that they are neglecting the greatness of the simple things that make a fantasy setting meaningful and deep (and no, I am not talking about fishing, although that will certainly be fun as well 😉 ).

Anyway, back on topic: I think the portayal of tengu in GW1 was intriguing - I'd love to be able to play one, but am also scared ANet might butcher the experience by, for instance, using terrible voicing and voice effects like the tengu we met in the DRM.

Yeah I was extremely skeptical prior to 2012 release about the 250 years of time passage between games and the technological changes since. I do likewise believe the story has suffered from it. But I also think the story has suffered by just expanding playable races. GW1 seemed better able to deeper dive into some story elements that 2 can't do without being accused of being Human centric or something similar. Also it more limits the role of where the player character can fit into the story so that it works for all races. We saw this get pretty shaky in Season 3 Episode 6 for example.

13 minutes ago, anxnox.9027 said:

It's a pity that the "It's too much effort" guys still going strong in today's world...

PS I'm not talking about ANET of course.

Have you seen the scope of the previous 2 expansions? This isn't a hard one to figure out.

Edited by Faridah.8431

22 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Ahh, now I got you. Okay, I agree that not everyone has the same taste. So my assumption was probably very one-sided.

To be fair, their portrayal in that mission is also relatively one-sided. They get invited to a peace summit in hostile territory and when they get there the host is trying to stab them in the back. It makes sense that people come out of that content with a positive opinion of the Tengu. For all we know they at least had honest intentions.

22 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I just don't get how one can possibly dislike those cool creatures. :classic_biggrin: Then again, when I look at how the Tengu are voiced in GW2, I might join the other club very soon. 😆

Well, they are bird people who can't fly. They would probably be cooler if they had the ability to fly.

On 7/28/2021 at 6:21 PM, Magek.4718 said:

I like how other games like WoW and FFXIV get new races with different body shapes added to the game.

But whenever the topic comes up for GW2, everyone just says "Nope, that's too hard!"

I am sorry, but... this is comparing the incomparable.

"Different body shapes"? You mean how Aura and Viera are just set on Elezen body shape/skeleton (female Miqo'te body for female Aura) and Hrothgar are literally just Roegadyn with a lion head? You mean how there's no solution for clipping because despite having full on three races with tails, there is literally no attempt to customize gear for it, so your tails sticks through every belt, every cape, every coat? How the peak for adjusting for race differences is that you have helmets with slots for elf/cat ears or holes for horns, with Viera and Hrothgar being straight up unable to use most headpieces, including almost all cashshop ones you may have bought in the past? How every race is plantigrade and how there's no different body shapes, so there's no such thing as adjusting for digitigrade feet or different muscle mass on a character?

I mean. I play both games, I love both games, albeit for wildly different reasons, but implementing new races in XIV is quite literally a trifle matter of putting a new head on an existing body, with maybe a bit of resculpting here and there. Tengu, on the other hand? You could use some base from charr, but all the sticking feathers would have to be cut or clip through, legs and headpieces would have to be completely redesigned, shoulders would have to be different because tengu lack the charr-typical hunch... et cetera, et cetera.

So yes, making tengu in GW2 would be a LOT more work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well I always thought it would either be with the Primordus story (since we heard destroyers were burrowing under the wall) or Cantha since that’s their historical homeland.  So I too thought that this maybe meant never, but then again - remember anet controls this world.  Why do we think Cantha is the most likely place? Because of stories anet has written over the years.  Thus, if they want to sell us playable Tengu, they can always write a new story centered around that.  It’s too early to guess with much accuracy but I’d wager expansion 4 will be in entirely new lands with something to do with the human gods, but maybe for expansion 5 we could see a new race.  The wonderful thing with anet committing hard to GW2 is it not happening now doesn’t mean it’ll never happen.  We have a long future ahead of us and I can’t wait 

Okay after reading some of your posts about GW1 about this race as I checked via Youtube but for GW2 I did find some of their stories which are very interesting.

I found the following now youtube vids I just finish watching and wanted to share it here as well.

So Tengu does have a story.

Now, I dont know these youtubers but they seem to know a good amount about this race which after the videos they are a very interesting race. If you can support them as they did a great job and summary on this topic.

GW2: Lore Byte - The Tengu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCNk7dLGjDE

WoodenPotatoes video: GW2 Daily - Tengu Race Spotlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_DTL2WSaMY

Enjoy !

Edited by killforbeers.7534
  • Like 1

Never. Clearly never. If it were to happen it would of been now and it would of been for the announcement which was luke warm; So don't expect anything. The bird people at this stage should just be wiped out by some existential threat so they cease to exist. Heck... give me the option and I'll do it myself so I Can at least say "Well my dream died by my own hand." 

• Confused 1

if the target release date for EoD is ~7 months away (Feb2022 From Amazon.com), the proper clipping /remodeling/dubbing/etc can be done in what, 3 months if they do crunch time and after that, they'll just go on polishing, inspecting the product for RTM and chilling.

Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/28/2021 at 2:54 PM, Carnibulos.9078 said:

Hello ANET

As the title reflects:

When can we get a playable Tengu Race?

I still have hope we get the Tengu playable race to be added and please not like the Endless Kodan Tonic.

I know many asked for a Tenug playable race for years and I hope this can still be possible – what a better time if that new race be introduced in EOD. 

Thanks for your time in reading this post.

Never, too much work and add no content at all 🙃

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

They've just had mass layoffs not long ago and a collapse on management because they've all but abandoned GW2 to go work on other games.

Yes, Tengu would've showed that they are serious about refocusing on GW2 and willing to do big, ambitious things. Fishing being the main selling point after 2 years of barely any content and 5 years since last expansion doesn't scream "this game has a future, GW2's going strong" to me.

Those layoffs were two years ago.  It's ancient history.

The only way I see it happening is if they could do it without adding a lot of extra audio required. 

For example:

• The new race starts the story differently, and instead being the commander, they are a new ally of the commander.
  • When playing as the commander (the original 5 races) the 'new race character' will have an NPC with predertermined appearance, and you'd be able to choose the gender with a dialogue option before you first meet them.
  • When playing as the 'new race character', the commander is an NPC from a series of pre-made NPCs you select in character rection, like Duncan (male engineer human) or Anja (female guardian norn).
    • To replay previous story, you would have to go to the Eye of the North to and review the story of the commander.
    • When replaying older story, instead transforming your character into that commander, you'd get an effect similar to Lyssa's Guise that keeps your appearance from your point of view. The voices used would be those of the original commander races, tho.
    • OR previous story just can't be played at all by the new race.

Edited by MithranArkanere.8957
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If that would mean Anet would not need to butcher the settings lore in order to put all the playable races on the same level? Sure i would. Even if i consider the Charr to be the best ever attempt at making catboys and catgirsl in all MMORPGs so far.

i would actually prefer more sexy like catgirls and catboys instead of the charr that look like a cat that has to go take a dump.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

27 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

i would actually prefer more sexy like catgirls and catboys instead of the charr that look like a cat that has to go take a dump.

I like the charr better because they are a real beast race, not some human with some ears and a tail tacked on. Why must every race be human in appearance? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Those layoffs were two years ago.  It's ancient history.

And what have they showed us since? A saga that was a letdown and got cancelled not even halfway through, a year+ long content drought and an expansion where fishing is supposed to get us hyped.

The layoffs are still felt. None of my friends are going to come back for fishing or DX11. You won't see a single GW2 ad with fishing or DX11 either if I had to bet.

GW2 needed something big and marketable. A new race grabs attention of old and new players alike and shows that Anet's capable of doing big things for the game. Fishing is alright, but it could've been a LS mastery.

• Confused 2