When can we get a playable Tengu Race? [Merged]

30 minutes ago, Eric.7813 said:

Tengu is not a good idea in my opinion. The current 5 races are well balanced in the lore, the lessor races should remain regional and secondary. 

The superior races of Tyrian are the 5 we have, it’s a good fit for GW. Besides, GW is about the professions, we need more focus on that among other things…

The tengu are on the same level as skrit in lore that is lesser races, i would not like playable skrit same as i would not like playable chickens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Eric.7813 said:

Tengu is not a good idea in my opinion. The current 5 races are well balanced in the lore, the lessor races should remain regional and secondary. 

The superior races of Tyrian are the 5 we have, it’s a good fit for GW. Besides, GW is about the professions, we need more focus on that among other things…

1 minute ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

The tengu are on the same level as skrit in lore that is lesser races, i would not like playable skrit same as i would not like playable chickens.

Tengu isn't a lesser race, what are you smoking? Lesser races like quaggan, skritt and grawl are primitive and don't have much history or a society or architecture past some huts. Tengu isn't any lesser than the 5 we have and was meant to be playable at launch.

There is nothing "balanced in lore" about Charr, they should never have been made playable. They had to retcon the lore and reinvent the race to make them fit..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

Actually, Tengu were planned on being one of the playable races, but that was stopped last second to introduce Sylvari. They were then hinted at being playable in the future, especially when you went to the wall in Lion's Arch, talking to them hinted that they would join the war if Primordus became more of a problem. It is actually why there are so many Tengu request threads as a result, because they kept heavily implying early game that they had plans to make them playable.

Edited by Esorono.1039
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Esorono.1039 said:

Actually, Tengu were planned on being one of the playable races, but that was stopped last second to introduce Sylvari. They were then hinted at being playable in the future, especially when you went to the wall in Lion's Arch, talking to them hinted that they would join the war if Primordus became more of a problem. It is actually why there are so many Tengu request threads as a result, because they kept heavily implying early game that they had plans to make them playable.

Well primordrus is dead now isnt he, no need to introduce tengus anymore 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, witcher.3197 said:

Tengu isn't a lesser race, what are you smoking? Lesser races like quaggan, skritt and grawl are primitive and don't have much history or a society or architecture past some huts. Tengu isn't any lesser than the 5 we have and was meant to be playable at launch.

There is nothing "balanced in lore" about Charr, they should never have been made playable. They had to retcon the lore and reinvent the race to make them fit..

I am smoking the gw2 wiki https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:1Maven/Non-Playable_Races take a look at the "They are considered minor races and do not include animal-like NPCs or the various minor Human-cultures" part and take a look at the list.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

I am smoking the gw2 wiki https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:1Maven/Non-Playable_Races take a look at the "They are considered minor races and do not include animal-like NPCs or the various minor Human-cultures" part and take a look at the list.

No you are smoking the user page of some random guy with no citations just his understanding of the game.

Nowhere in game does it state that Tengu are one of the lesser races and there is 0 mention of it on the actual Tengu page.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tengu

The whole lesser races concept comes from a personal story step where you get to choose a lesser race to befriend. Tengu isn't even an option there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Esorono.1039 said:

Actually, Tengu were planned on being one of the playable races, but that was stopped last second to introduce Sylvari.

Again, with that rumour. Where did you get it from? Because it is completely untrue. There was never a case of tengu being withdrawn to introduce Sylvari. Sylvari were meant to be one of the five races (and the five races we've got were set) from the very moment Anet started to work on GW2.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Again, with that rumour. Where did you get it from? Because it is completely untrue. There was never a case of tengu being withdrawn to introduce Sylvari. Sylvari were meant to be one of the five races (and the five races we've got were set) from the very moment Anet started to work on GW2.

It was a very old video where they were talking about the Sylvari, they also went a bit in depth about their plans on making the tengu city beyond the wall and Tengu playable, but then scrapped it early in development. Sylvari were the last race created, and made after the scrapped Dominion of they Wind as they felt they were more unique.

Edited by Esorono.1039
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Esorono.1039 said:

It was a very old video where they were talking about the Sylvari, they also went a bit in depth about their plans on making the tengu city beyond the wall and Tengu playable, but then scrapped it early in development. Sylvari were the last race created, and made after the scrapped Dominion of they Wind as they felt they were more unique.

Can we haz a link please?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dante.1763 said:

Can we haz a link please?

Early development was an open book, and I really don't want to sift through about a days worth of development videos to search for it. To make it worse, it was an off-handed topic among one of the development videos that lasted I wanted to say about a minute. I rather people not believe me than search through all of that. I can't even remember if it was on Twitter or Youtube.

Well if this patch ends up being an expansion that is what we expect for our money - Great.

If not then it is what it is and ANET will have NCSoft at their necks yet again.

Bottom line from what I have been reading the players want an expansion worthy to be introduced not a patch.

We shall see the rest of their intro to EOD and at the end it will be very clear if they providing us a true expansion or a patch.

Yet some are okay ordering and paying for a steak and getting a cold cheese sandwich and okay with it because "it too much work for the chef".

This will be ANET 3rd Expansion so an intro to a new playable race makes sense especially when they introduced Cantha and after those videos that were placed in this thread.

Honestly right now it feels more like a patch its good they have delayed it to early 2022 if they need more time  but the end product should be an Expansion worthy end product not a larger patch and paying for an expansion.

Edited by killforbeers.7534
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rylien.3824 said:

wtf that largos website is really well done. Is it fan made or did Anet really try to do it?

I asked around a bit on the off-chance someone actually remembered where it came from, and we found out that most of the older development stuff was removed. So chances are, it doesn't even exist anymore sadly. But we also found something interesting that may make Tengu a bit more viable from the wiki, most Tengu use the same body mesh as Charr just different animation, so barring gloves, boots, and helmets (maybe), what fits on a Charr will fit on a Tengu. They still likely won't be playable, and I wouldn't hold my breath, but it is something I wanted to share.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Esorono.1039 said:

Considering the sylvari were already a set choice the moment they were working on eye of the north, (so, when GW2 was in the plans already, but the work did not really start on it yet) that must have been some early development indeed.

Problem is, i keep hearing about that from some people, but i have never actually seen that video, even though i followed all the development talks very closely. It's almost as if people keep saying about something they never seen themselves, but heard only from hearsay from others - something that does not actually exists.

Edit:

To be more specific: it is true, that they did consider Tengu to be a possible choice for a sixth race, and that this option got scrapped somewhere early in development (not enough time, too many other things to do). It is not true that the Sylvari took their place though - by the time they were even considering Tengu as an option, Sylvari were already decided on, and players were already informed about it.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1

I dont know why so many people like the chickens in the first place there are much more better potential races to introduce.

1 the margonites (corrupted humans by abadon now kormir )

look at this and tell me its not 10 times cooler then anything else in gw2 atm 

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/0/0a/"Margonite"_concept_art_1.jpg

2 largos i mean they are underwater assassins with wings come on the chickens dont even compare.

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

I dont know why so many people like the chickens in the first place there are much more better potential races to introduce.

2 largos i mean they are underwater assassins with wings come on the chickens dont even compare.

The margonites are clearly a enemy / monster type of design. You'll never see something like that playable. 

There are literaly like 2 largos in the game, and only 1 plays any type of major role in the story. We're not supposed to know anything about them, they are mysterious for a reason. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

Both of them are rather meh, while I don't mind either of them being a player race, besides my eyes already bleeding from all the glowing that players do already. But they both have that feeling of trying to be cool from a teenager's perspective and it just doesn't appeal to me enough to play either. Also there is like next to no lore on Largos, which isn't enough to get invested in. Also why not just use a light blue Sylvari and use the Largos wings and mask? You won't even be able to tell the difference.

40 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Considering the sylvari were already a set choice the moment they were working on eye of the north, (so, when GW2 was in the plans already, but the work did not really start on it yet) that must have been some early development indeed.

Problem is, i keep hearing about that from some people, but i have never actually seen that video, even though i followed all the development talks very closely. It's almost as if people keep saying about something they never seen themselves, but heard only from hearsay from others - something that does not actually exists.

Edit:

To be more specific: it is true, that they did consider Tengu to be a possible choice for a sixth race, and that this option got scrapped somewhere early in development (not enough time, too many other things to do). It is not true that the Sylvari took their place though - by the time they were even considering Tengu as an option, Sylvari were already decided on, and players were already informed about it.

I am quite sure I have seen it in the development videos, but since the search is rather fruitless anyways, as any search for old stuff tends to wind up like this, https://www.arena.net/blog/video-growing-the-sylvari I suppose I cannot really argue against you. And also yes, I know it doesn't mention anything about Tengus in there, it's mostly an example.

Edited by Esorono.1039

1 hour ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

This is nice as well.

I really think from all the reading I have done the past week the bottom line players dont want a fancy patch they want an actual expansion now that this will be our 3rd expansion - an additional race would be in place.

If not in this expansion they really should think about it if we ever get a 4th expansion but that I am sure will be way too late and ANET will feel that hit as well as NCSoft over the them as well with another jolt which I hope this does not happen.

10 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The Collector's Edition of the game had this book called "The making of GW2" where they mention how the Tengu was a strong candidate for a playable race.

There's also this old datamined, cut Tengu design which looks like it could've been from a character creation screen: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tengu_cut_model.jpg

I've heard they also mention how the Tengu was intended to be playable as the 6th race but was due to time constraints in the 15 year anniversary book but I don't have that so can't confirm.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

The only way I see it happening is if they could do it without adding a lot of extra audio required. 

For example:

(clipped for brevity, see original post for details)

Yup, this is how I would do it as well. At this stage of GW2's lifecycle I don't think any new races (should they choose to include them) can be on 100% the same standing as others. As long as you make that clear up front, players are more likely to accept it.

So that likely means you either can't play through older personal story as the party leader, or you have to do it in a roundabout way like how Factions/Nightfall handled characters from other campaigns going back.

That being the case, it might make sense if you couldn't create one as your first character, since you'd be skipping (or making weird) a lot of earlier content that way. If it were like a "prestige race" that you could only create if you had previously leveled another character to 80, maybe that might work.

Similarly, as others have previously alluded to, I wouldn't expect the full set of armor skins to be available either, especially not at first. There's already some precedent for this, though, e.g. you can't use scepters as a warrior, but you can buy scepter skins off the TP if you want. It just has to be clear enough what you can and can't use.

So yeah, you're giving up a fair bit, but even with those concessions I'd still be willing to drop 4000 gems on unlocking a new race option. It's the only thing I'd use those extra character slots on at this point...

Obviously there are still business decisions to be made on ArenaNet's part - it's still expensive and they still have to recoup investment - but they are starting to run out of features interesting enough to keep people returning.

As such I agree with one of the other points made in this thread - if you still want this, keep asking. Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's not important to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

The Collector's Edition of the game had this book called "The making of GW2" where they mention how the Tengu was a strong candidate for a playable race.

There's also this old datamined, cut Tengu design which looks like it could've been from a character creation screen: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tengu_cut_model.jpg

I've heard they also mention how the Tengu was intended to be playable as the 6th race but was due to time constraints in the 15 year anniversary book but I don't have that so can't confirm.

That's not the rumour i have problems with (because the Tengu being considered to be a candidate for a playable race was indeed confirmed in multiple sources). It's the rumour that the Sylvari replaced the Tengu that i look at with suspicion. Because i have seen absolutely no source to confirm, and everything i did see suggests it was never the case.

• Like 2

Real talk: the most realistic time to introduce playable Tengu isn't at the start of EoD, it's at the end of it. Let me explain.

Right now, we're at the finale of the commander's story. We're playing as the commander, Aurene's champion, with their friends and partners. It would be weird and almost impossible to introduce a playable Tengu now, as that Tengu would then effectively also be the commander, and somehow that needs to be explained, either by retroactively adding the Tengu to the Personal Story, LWS2, HoT, LWS3, PoF, LWS4, and the IBS. That would be weird from a storytelling perspective and a ton of work.

However, when EoD ends, the current story ends. The commander might retire as the commander, Aurene might die or move on, and our friends might too. A new story would begin, a story where the protagonist (our character, previously the commander) takes up a new role with new friends. THAT would be the perfect time to introduce a new race. The Tengu's Personal Story could then be crafted to lead up to THAT story, and Anet could use the Tengu to craft and overhauled the new player/leveling experience. I'd be all for it.

Edited by LucosTheDutch.4819
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1