ranger elite spec icon speculate and theme

trunks.5249

Basing my speculation off of the new icons on the EOD webpage (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/end-of-dragons/)

My speculation would be based on the 2nd icon being the Ranger elite spec (off topic, but personal speculation of icons is, in order: Mesmer, Ranger, Thief, Guardian, Warrior, Revenant, Elementalist, Engineer, Necromancer).

Two ideas I’ve had based on the icon that I believe is for Ranger are:

1: People saying it looks like a beast face / head or shield. If that’s the case leaning toward a bruiser build with either shield or hammer. Ranger is innately a very skirmish oriented class, almost like “hit-and-run” and focus more on maintaining range, distance, and dodging attacks rather than face tanking or blocking / negating damage.

2: I see the icon really resembling a “tribal mask” of sorts. There looks to be distinct eye holes and what appears to be a feline-esque nose. I can see that being used for a shaman or witch doctor themed spec that uses nature or shamanistic magic. Overlaps slightly with Druid, but I can see there being enough of a distinction between the two to have it’s own theme.

I don’t personally really see that icon as a shield, as many people seem to notice. It does have some bestial features just as a feline face, but I’m leaning toward it being a mask of sorts. I don’t have much more knowledge of GW1 so I am unsure if there is any inspiration for this that had already existed in Cantha.

• Like 2

Honestly i think the icon implies some relation to the warden and it kinda alos looks like a shield.

So weapon maybe shield. Utilities i still hope for concecrations but it could also be something different. I hope for ranged AoE though.

Mechanic could be a lot. It could be like an overcharged juggernaut pet that is more effective in combat. 

It could be that you transform your pet into an echowald singing totem that you can command arround to cast abilities instead of having a companion with you.

I am just spitballing but thats atleast my idea for a kurzick/warden themed e-spec.

Are we sure that this is the icon of Ranger specialization? If Anet decided to release a Mesmer profession without clones as requested by many players I would say that Ranger will get a hammer and that the most suitable icon would be the second in the second row.

However, looking at this icon I think the options are many.
I think it could be a shield, but it could also be a mask or an arrowhead anyway I'd like some correlation with:
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warden

Just wait till they reveal what warrior are getting, then gut it and give it to rangers in a crappier version. 

But if I had to be serious, I’m betting offhand shield with defensive skills like blocks/invulnerabilities and it will be a “pet less” ranger with a super saiyan mode similar to berserker/holosmith based on the pet archetypes of the pets that you “slot” but don’t actually use as pets. Going super saiyan in different archetypes will give you 5 skills to use, so that equals 25 skills for anet to balance instead of who knows how many for the total number of pets.

Edited by Abyssisis.3971
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Revolution.5409 said:

Are we sure that this is the icon of Ranger specialization? If Anet decided to release a Mesmer profession without clones as requested by many players I would say that Ranger will get a hammer and that the most suitable icon would be the second in the second row.

However, looking at this icon I think the options are many.
I think it could be a shield, but it could also be a mask or an arrowhead anyway I'd like some correlation with:
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warden

It's very likely the Beasthead. It has leaves as ears and the head is shaped like an arrowhead.

I think we will get Hammer as weapon. Pistole and Rifle don't fit the GW Ranger theme. Shield is borderline useless, we have enough defensive options with weaponskills. I would like scepter or focus, but hammer is the most probable weapon.

Edited by Miellyn.6847
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

My personal guess is that rangers become Wardens, getting shield as their weapon and stronger pets as their mechanic potentially.

Maybe consecrations as their utility skills to give the class more AoE access. Will be a tanky bruiser spec with lots of CC, AoE abilities and defense (blocks and such).

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Miellyn.6847 said:

È molto probabile che sia il Beasthead. Ha foglie come orecchie e la testa ha la forma di una punta di freccia.

Penso che avremo Hammer come arma. Pistola e fucile non si adattano al tema GW Ranger. Lo scudo è al limite dell'inutilità, abbiamo abbastanza opzioni difensive con le armi. Vorrei lo scettro o la messa a fuoco, ma il martello è l'arma più probabile.

I would rule out the Focus I would not want a support specialization (I can't imagine it otherwise xD), the Hammer will remain the first choice, but a double 1h Mace or the scepter would remain great options.

Edited by Revolution.5409

So I think what we're forgetting here is the currently half-baked implementation of 'commands'.  

If it IS a shield then it leads me to believe they will fully implement the command feature, and put heavy reliance back on the pet--this may be the worst outcome of all.  It is worst because pet AI and pathing cannot keep up with a 'guardian ranger' issuing commands unless they've revamped the entire AI system for EoD.

If it is a hammer then they would have to have implemented some way for the pet to survive similar to soulbeast merge--not sure how likely this is compared with the above where the pet could be invuln while the ranger is commanding but the ranger vulnerable to damage (unless shielding) / cannot move...ok I'm going to stop theorizing now as I REALLY hope they don't do this 😂

• Like 1

Yeh if it’s the planty wardens probably consecrations based in planty/purification stuff as utilities. It would make sense with the lore of the wardens. 

weapon I would like hammer, definitely something meleish, ranger has too many projectiles already.  But the symbol looks like an arrowhead, it has even the edges so I hope is not more projectile thingy. Worst case an spear if it’s another bow I would not be happy unless it literally shoots juvenile bears instead arrows. 

I keep hearing double pet and the Fs turn into combo things like the mirage ambushes. If that is the case I wonder how it would perform in Zergs. The dead pets running after  the ranger like a del Toro movie is definitely an issue. 
Unless F5 serves to hide them soulbeast style. 

I still don't understand why everyone wants another meele build, like hammer, sword, mace,... What I would like to see is finally being able to have an actual ranged build. Longbow is useless, its neither single target nor aoe weapon. Its stuck somewhere betwen. Shortbow is a "CC" weapon and doesn't have any actual dps. 

Thats why I would like to see a rifle build for rangers. High ranged single target weapon. It would actually have a purpose and not be stuck somewhere in the middle and no "belong".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Boqin.4369 said:

I still don't understand why everyone wants another meele build, like hammer, sword, mace,... What I would like to see is finally being able to have an actual ranged build. Longbow is useless, its neither single target nor aoe weapon. Its stuck somewhere betwen. Shortbow is a "CC" weapon and doesn't have any actual dps. 

Thats why I would like to see a rifle build for rangers. High ranged single target weapon. It would actually have a purpose and not be stuck somewhere in the middle and no "belong".

Ranger has longbow, shortbow and axe as ranged weapons. You might not like them, but it is there.

What rangers need, in my opinion, is a defensive bruiser spec. Something that gives ranger more survivability. Hence why I think that shield could be a great weapon choice for them.

• Like 5

Actually ranger has Longbow, shortbow, axe and staff as ranged and dagger, torch, axe offhand and warhorn with some kind of projectile attack. 

So with no projectiles we only have Greatsword, sword and dagger mainhand. Dagger is a no go, sword is kinda meh in pvp. So effectively ranger only has one melee weapon. 

That's way we are asking for a propper melee weapon wich can replace or complement greatsword. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1